• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

If you cast a card with the bestow cost, and an instant speed removal/bounce/whatever happens to the targeted creature before it resolves, does it fizzle, or does it just enter the battlefield as a creature?

Also, a bestowed-aura turning into a creature after the enchanted creature dies wouldn't trigger any sort of "whenever a creature enters the battlefield" effects, right?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
If you cast a card with the bestow cost, and an instant speed removal/bounce/whatever happens to the targeted creature before it resolves, does it fizzle, or does it just enter the battlefield as a creature?

Also, a bestowed-aura turning into a creature after the enchanted creature dies wouldn't trigger any sort of "whenever a creature enters the battlefield" effects, right?

Enters the battlefield as a creature.

I...don't actually know about the ETB thing. I think it might.

ultron87

If something is cast for its bestow cost it is just an enchantment aura spell the whole time it is on the stack (so it can't ever be Essence Scattered). But when it is resolving, if its target isn't there anymore or is illegal, instead of fizzling it just turns into a creature and plops down onto the battlefield.

Correct. It was already on the battlefield.

I'm totally going to make sure the judge at my store explains this to everyone during the opening spiel at the pre-release. Especially that first part.

Grakl

for the second one, think of something that also becomes a creature but isnt initially, e.g. mutavault - it becomes a creature but is already on the battlefield, so it doesn't trigger etb effects

ultron87

Other possible random edge case I just noticed on the FAQ:

Auras attached to a creature don't become tapped when the creature becomes tapped. Except in some rare cases, an Aura with bestow remains untapped when it becomes unattached and becomes a creature.

So, despite the way a lot of people manipulate their cards, a bestow aura on a tapped creature can become a surprise blocker if it becomes unattached.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Bestow cost is paid, opponent uses counter-enchantment spell, does it now come in as a creature?

No, it's still countered. It doesn't have "two lives", that of a creature and an enchantment. It's both at the same time, and the supertype/subtype shenanigans don't happen until it hits the field.

ultron87

If you mean "counter target enchantment spell" it will go the graveyard.

It just won't get countered due to having an illegal target upon resolution (due to hexproof, protection from that color, thing not being there etc).

Grakl

oh, I also find myself first picking keepsake gorgon if I see it, seems amazing and almost unkillable, I think it'll do much work

Haly

Played some Sealed on OCTGN.

Green is stronk.

Bant is stronk.

Combat tricks all day errday.

Black is unstronk unless you're drafting cause getting devotion is a total crapshoot in Sealed. Not bad as support though.

kirblar

Played some Sealed on OCTGN.

Green is stronk.

Bant is stronk.

Combat tricks all day errday.

Black is unstronk unless you're drafting cause getting devotion is a total crapshoot in Sealed. Not bad as support though.
All the "small puny ant" removal only seems good as either a combat trick or as a way to blow out Heroic bros.

Haly

I can't imagine a scenario where I want to use one of those 2-3 power or less thingies. They're so limiting, especially with counters and pump spells flying everywhere. I'd rather just trigger heroic on my guys.

The green on green hate is legit sideboard tech though, if only because green has some of the best heroic duders and it triggers heroic!

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
I haven't practiced Theros limited yet but I was going through the spoilers...

Dauntless Onslaught 2W
Instant Uncommon
Up to two target creatures each get +2/+2 until end of turn.

Besides the obvious applications on Heroic triggers, this card seems like a pretty high pick (after bombs and removal of course) in draft. The potential to 2 for 1 them or 10 them seems great.

Haly

The up to two target creatures blah blah are all really good. I think Triton Tactics is the best though.

The up to two target creatures blah blah are all really good. I think Triton Tactics is the best though.

There was one that granted the "Curiosity" effect two creatures for just G. Can you imagine getting two cards and two heroic triggers for 1-mana? Seems bonkers.

Haly

I had it in my sealed twice but I never got to cast it.

Thinking about it again, it's only really good with some sort of evasion because if you're not hitting two guys with it, it just cycles itself and triggers heroic.

Using that on two heroic guys with evasion is the magic christmasland play of Theros. It works really well with flyers though.

(No, the true magic christmasland play is hitting two unblocked Double-Headed Cerberuses with that)

Yeah, I guess don't know how prolific Heroic or evasion will be in Theros Limited. My thinking was that even getting less than the Christmasland scenario I posted above could still be really good value. (Perhaps forcing your opponent into an unfavorable block by casting it immediately after declaring attackers).

Haly

Yeah I mean it's still a strong card because, if nothing else, it will probably cycle but I wouldn't put it above Triton Tactics. I mean, it straight up loses to Triton tactics unless you have superior Heroic guys, and Triton Tactics has applications during both turns, whereas green curiosity is restricted to your turn, for the most part.

Also, these two guys did a shitload of work in my games:

62Xo4mb9cMm_EN_LR.jpg

eP1vQsnkJjw_EN_LR.jpg

Any brews that muck around with Heroic and Cipher? Cipher is mostly garbage since it's over costed, but maybe something cheap like Hidden Strings and hands of binding is enough tempo to do something.

T1 Favored Hoplite
T2 Hidden Strings, tap blocker, target FH to get a counter, swing in for 2, cipher and untap FH for another counter
T3 Hands of Binding, tap down blocker, attack, stack Hands of Binding and Hidding Strings ciphers, tap down your own FH with HOB, then untap it with HS for MAXIMUM PROFIT???!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?

Or something. Im too busy to make a list and test it lol.

EDIT: those 2 cards are the only cipher cards that target creatures, so yeah, that's the extent of it lol.

y2dvd

Yeah I got a run to do early in the morning so no midnight prerelease for me. :/

Should make the Saturday afternoon and Sunday one though. After reviewing the set again, I'm sticking to thinking blue is the strongest color again. I will be going that color and red or white for my 2nd prerelease.

I'm still not sure what to take. I feel like the right way to go is to pick up White, since I think the Celestial Archon is the most consistently good card among the intro pack rares, but I'm not sure how I feel about white as a color overall. I actually kinda want to play blue, but I don't particularly like the blue rare.

Honestly, I wish they'd cut it out with the whole "pick your pack" thing. It really worked well for Ravnica because of the block structure, but here it seems unnecessary. I wish I could just show up, open six packs, and go to work.

Lucario

Slow multiqueuers are so fucking bad for the game. It's impossible to just jump into a draft without other people wasting your time//taking an hour to finish a match.

Winning because they go to time can be nice, but I'd just prefer a faster... fairer game. Forcing them to play everything out and watching them rage is glorious.

I have no idea why anyone would MQ in M14 draft. When I'm playing a blue deck, I'd say 5-10% of my games run dangerously close to time anyway, and I play fast. I'll multiqueue in a format where aggro is good -- pretty much every Kibler aggro player does it I'm guessing -- but uuuuuugh.

ultron87

Honestly, I wish they'd cut it out with the whole "pick your pack" thing. It really worked well for Ravnica because of the block structure, but here it seems unnecessary. I wish I could just show up, open six packs, and go to work.

They've said that prereleases are always going to have some sort of gimmick like this going forward. Though hopefully it isn't always pick a color/colors. Just for variety's sake. Obviously the color pack thing is great for new players, of course, so this is probably the default.

I wish they didn't do the playable promo thing again. Makes it more likely to play a bunch of really similar matches.

I was playing Esper control vs American control yesterday on cockatrice... man Ashiok does some heavy lifting in control vs control matches. He comes early and if you're on the play he's very hard to counter for american (only syncopate x=1 or izzet charm could help, and that's if you didn't put a tapped land and in izzet's case if you also have the mana color). He's drownyarding every turn and his +2 makes him impossible to simply nuke down with burn. Game 2 he immediately turn 1 pithing needle ashiok lol.

JulianImp

So, what colors will you be using for the prerelease events? I'll be playing blue on Saturday and red on Sunday, since I'm really looking forward to getting more cards for my izzet deck. Hopefully, I'll get to pull a couple of Magma Jets, Steam Augury and Anger of the Gods.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
So, what colors will you be using for the prerelease events? I'll be playing blue on Saturday and red on Sunday, since I'm really looking forward to getting more cards for my izzet deck. Hopefully, I'll get to pull a couple of Magma Jets, Steam Augury and Anger of the Gods.

I've settled on green, but with the understanding that I'll make a deck using whatever my strongest colours are once I've opened my packs.

I am still undecided. Historically I win the most when I go red but I like the white prerelease promo way more than the red one, lol

Meanwhile it would be really nice to get a seeded pack slanted towards blue cause of the removal, red and white seem equally good/bad in general, and I don't really have an opinion on black and green.

Basically there's no color that makes me think "if you play this you will have a much more enjoyable prerelease and/or win more matches." Gives me flashbacks to AVR when I opened a sealed pool with complete garbage and I lost all my matches.

Nikodemos

I've decided to go black. The promo is bomby and there's non-damage-based removal (plus deathtouch critters). Plus it has creature recursion at common and uncommon which is great. And Viper's Kiss is so amazingly trololo against Monstrous creatures.

The Archon is a very straightforward card, but it has the largest amount of hate, due to it being both a creature and an enchantment.

Blue would also be a good choice, except it's horrible against Black's EtB effects (bouncing a Gray Merchant is awful).

kirblar

The decision to do 2 weeks of official previews (with commons/other cards revealed elsewhere) was a very good one. Helped keep the hype peaking at the right point.

Haly

devotion is hard to pull off. not sure how much the mono colored packs will help but the chances of you creating a deck that can really use the gray merchants is low.

ultron87

I want to try a Red/White aggressive heroic kind of thing but I don't think that will be doable in sealed.

Dunno if I want to go to FNM tonight. Kind of want to just to give my Restoration Angels and Augurs one last run in Standard. God speed little buddies.

kirblar

It seems like a heavily tempo/momentum based format Lots of stalemates- but when the stalemates are broken, the floodgates open.

Nikodemos

devotion is hard to pull off. not sure how much the mono colored packs will help but the chances of you creating a deck that can really use the gray merchants is low.
You don't need a crapload of black to make it work. Even 4 devotion (two from the merchant itself, two from whatever other permanents you may have) is an 8-point life swing. Devotion is kinda like Extort, a slow boil. Stonewall your opponent and slowly leech his fighting strength.

A legitimate complaint would be that you need to play any black permanents, including shitty ones like Fleshmad Steed, to ensure you have enough black on the table.

I've decided to go black. The promo is bomby and there's non-damage-based removal (plus deathtouch critters). Plus it has creature recursion at common and uncommon which is great. And Viper's Kiss is so amazingly trololo against Monstrous creatures.

The Archon is a very straightforward card, but it has the largest amount of hate, due to it being both a creature and an enchantment.

Blue would also be a good choice, except it's horrible against Black's EtB effects (bouncing a Gray Merchant is awful).
Unless you bounce your own, heheheheh

Top Bottom