• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

kirblar

That would be awfully nice of them. lol

Here's a question for my GW Voice/Archangel Standard deck...

Spear of Heliod or Ajani Planeswalker?

Both are 3 CMC and I'd probably run two...
Spear. Ajani has just not done anything and G/W is more horizontal than vertical.

OnPoint

MM2 will definitely have more. Especially since they know they can push further than what they previously did. (i.e., more languages, etc.)

I wish they'd really push it with MM2. Like, I almost wish they'd do away with M15 to do MM2 instead. I know they won't, but I want a print run that strong for it. They gotta bring the prices on some of these cards down. I simply can't afford to buy 4 'goyfs and 4 Bobs. Then what if I want to play with Cliques, I'll likely need Cryptics too. It's ridiculous. I really want to play Modern, but it's just so pricey.

/whine

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Went 1-4 in my (first ever) pre-release, but... cracked a Checkout Purphoros and a Fleecemane Lion, so I'm pretty happy. Had a on of fun, met some cool people. Cannot wait to draft more Theros, as a set, it really clicks with what I like from magic (slow games, big creatures.)

An-Det

I played in two prereleases today, and went with Blue both times (because Shipbreaker Kraken is nuts and won be games I had no business winning otherwise). The first pool as UG, with Bident of Thassa and 2 Horizon Chimera (Bestowing one of these with a Thassa’s Emissary was pretty nice), but it was overall not great. I did pull a Purthuros but didn't have the red to do anything with it. My second pool was UR with a (second pulled) Purthuros, Ember Swallower, Horizon Scholar, Prescient Chimera, and actually having removal this time.

I made a load of misplays, so only ended up 2-2, but two plays were really memorable for me. One was where my opponent Monstroused his Ember Swallower, which tapped him out, so I Griptide'd to the top of his library in response, then played Thassa's Bounty to mill it away and come back in the game. Another was another opponent playing Sea God’s Revenge, bouncing my two guys and his own Mnemonic Wall and recurring this for a few turns until he finally drew an out against me. We realized afterwards when telling it that he couldn't target his own creatures with it, but it was still really cool to see things turn like that.

Pretty fun sealed format for me, but as far as Constructed goes we'll see.

I wish they'd really push it with MM2. Like, I almost wish they'd do away with M15 to do MM2 instead. I know they won't, but I want a print run that strong for it. They gotta bring the prices on some of these cards down. I simply can't afford to buy 4 'goyfs and 4 Bobs. Then what if I want to play with Cliques, I'll likely need Cryptics too. It's ridiculous. I really want to play Modern, but it's just so pricey.

/whine

I'd like to think they would oblige the huge need to make Modern easier to buy into, but considering the half-assed job they did with MM1 I'm skeptical that they'll do it with any kind of reasonable timing.

rCIZZLE

Did another prerelease and ended up going 4-1 but my tiebreakers were absolutely horrible. My round 1 opponent registered then left so no chance of wins from him. Got paired down and lost to an absurd deck that should never have went 1-2 drop. Having RG planeswalker, heroic edicting black rare, and black god plus good utility cards should have been enough for him to get to finals. Won out after but ended with 30% from opponents lol.

I'm going to echo what I believe division said a page or 2 ago: the prerelease boxes are bullshit seeing as most people had either a god or a planeswalker.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Did another prerelease and ended up going 4-1 but my tiebreakers were absolutely horrible. My round 1 opponent registered then left so no chance of wins from him. Got paired down and lost to an absurd deck that should never have went 1-2 drop. Having RG planeswalker, heroic edicting black rare, and black god plus good utility cards should have been enough for him to get to finals. Won out after but ended with 30% from opponents lol.

I'm going to echo what I believe division said a page or 2 ago: the prerelease boxes are bullshit seeing as most people had either a god or a planeswalker.

I pulled my god... in one of the booster packs. Seeded pack only had an Anax & Cynede. I was surprised at how many gods/planeswalkers were hitting the tables, though. One guy pulled three PW in his prerelease box.

OnPoint

Making me wish I would have went.

JulianImp

Too bad planeswalkers come in the regular random boosters, so speculating about prerelease boxes having more PWs in them than just five booster packs is incorrect, statistically speaking. The chance of getting a god card is probably the same as the chance you had of getting your guild's leader in ravnica block (1/8, I believe), so it makes sense for multiple gods to be running around during the prerelease, since they're the only mythic players can get from the special booster packs.

I chose blue for my first event and got the 2/3 guy that copies instants and sorceries, coupled with two UR chimeras, Anger of the Gods, two Mnemonic Walls and three copies of the new searing spear, plus a Griptide and some extra damage-based removal. I rounded my deck out with a white splash for a pair of that instant spell that destroys target attacker or blocker, but the lack of early-game creatures made things a bit hard for me. I got two packs, and managed to trade the pro-blue hydra for a Steam Augury and a fourth neo Spear.

I'd say expensive cards are a thing in this format (at least in sealed), which is exactly the reason why I added my one Demolish to the deck and had decent success with it (even copying it once!). I also found myself not cracking the cog that searches for a land too early, since most of the time I was looking for extra lands required to play my kraken, activate monstrous abilities or play several cards in a single turn (ie: Mnemonic Wall into 3-damage instant).

By the way, that 3CMC artifact creature that rampant growths for two lands at once is bonkers. One of my opponents was lucky enough to have two in his pool, and it performed amazingly every time I saw it hit play and survive until my opponent's next untap step.

rCIZZLE

I don't care about the theoretical distribution lol. Just stating my experience. Someone getting 2 RG planeswalker, 1 red god, and 1 green god doesn't feel like a representation of 5 packs from a regular booster box.

Yeef

[Near] Mono black devotion is pretty fun. Ripping their hand apart with two Disciple of Phenaxes and getting huge life swings with Grey Merchant is pretty great. Mogis's Marauder with Whip of Erebos is also godly [no pun intended].

Three down, two to go. Red and Green seem to be the two least popular, so we'll see how I like them.

zoukka

Made two decks in my prele, UG ramp control and RW heroic. Ended up playing with UG and went 4-1.

Like people have guessed, quality removal and bounce are massively important. Scry is nice, but my pool was devoid of good scry cards. My two nessian asps won me a lot of games. It's just so big and useful in all situations and with four flying dryads they can close games pretty fast.

Also I had three maindeck annuls :b

Favoured hoplite is the most nuts card I can remember in a sealed tournament. My only loss was against a heroic weenie with two of them. There was nothing I could do since I had no destory effects in my deck. Turn 1 hoplite into turn to trial was often enough to kill a player. Stupid card :b

y2dvd

Went 1-3 yesterday. I played U/G and I thought it was a decent deck, but my games played out terribly. Basically, the first game I got mana flooded, the second game I got mana boned in my first two matches. When I was able to stabilized a bit, all of my opponents I lost to happened to have that hydra cutter that has protection from blue and is uncounterable. I'm like gee this sealed tournament hates me lol.

Third game, I barely won by top decking the flier enchantment creature onto the centaur that has Heoric put three counters on him and swung with him and another flying 3 power creature for exactly 11 dmg for the win.

Last match basically went like the first two. Mana flooded then mana boned and he had a hydra cutter anyways. That card is so good because first off it has haste, pro blue, can get huge last game, and there's a lack of instant speed removal that can take care of it.

All in all this sealed reminded me everything I love and hate about magic. I didn't pull any money rares and a drew absolutely terribly but I still liked hanging out with everyone. I'm shaking it off and in telling myself it happens in MtG. Bad draws is bound to happen and is a part of the game lol. Got one prize pack and pulled a Thoughtseize so that was the only redeemable thing to happen lol.

Having said all that, I'll probably return for another sealed today. XD Totally prefer drafts over sealed and can't wait to do that more often.

Lucario

4-1-1 at the second prerelease, way too tired to keep playing. Total record of 9-3-1, pissed at myself for punting a few games but I still did alright.

Prize packs were jank but... grakl and I opened a box and a third in two days.

no more magic for a little while I think

by which I mean like a day

Read the Bones is amazing in this format. It's not fast enough for the card to not see play.

pulls:

Cerberus
Thassa
Erebros
Medomai
Master of Waves
2 Temples
2 Thoughtseize
2 Swansong
4 magma jet
3 boon satyr
2 Anger of the Gods
Sylvan Caryatid

f0rk

Went 5-1 with a pretty nuts Esper deck including elspeth, the black whip, the black promo, the uw sphinx and good bounce/value creatures.

There are nuts hands in the format with heroic but I think it's quite inconsistent if you get all enchantments/tricks and no dudes. Even with all creatures they don't quite get there with sealed being so bomby but should do well in draft. Definitely felt like there is a small dude heroic archetype and then UB control. I never saw monstrous do anything, was always asking for a blowout. They did a good job in making impactful enchantments that are well priced and offer value.

Both the mana horse 3 drops are insane, especially the sac for 2 lands one.

Traded the RG walker for a cryptic and a path which I'm happy about, really don't think he'll hold his value.

kirblar

Went 5-1 with a pretty nuts Esper deck including elspeth, the black whip, the black promo, the uw sphinx and good bounce/value creatures.

There are nuts hands in the format with heroic but I think it's quite inconsistent if you get all enchantments/tricks and no dudes. Even with all creatures they don't quite get there with sealed being so bomby but should do well in draft. Definitely felt like there is a small dude heroic archetype and then UB control. I never saw monstrous do anything, was always asking for a blowout. They did a good job in making impactful enchantments that are well priced and offer value.

Traded the RG walker for a cryptic and a path which I'm happy about, really don't think he'll hold his value.
He's bad.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Bah I wish I could go to this pre-release but I can't justify the expense after spending $50 on a bachelors party last weekend. That makes like four in a row that I've missed. I'll have to make sure to go to the second set one

Lucario

........... Jared?

Rootborn Defenses in GW.

Boros Charm in Naya.

Both also defend nicely against Supreme Verdict. Both also have additional upside in other situations.

Agreed.
Rootborn is good for that. Ready // Willing could work too.

Main deck them though or just sideboard for going against red or white/blue?

Early game I probably wouldn't have any mana untapped for them. Just scenarios I'd rather not face. haha

OnPoint

Agreed.
Rootborn is good for that. Ready // Willing could work too.

Main deck them though or just sideboard for going against red or white/blue?

Early game I probably wouldn't have any mana untapped for them. Just scenarios I'd rather not face. haha

I always maindecked Boros Charm in my Naya tokens build, but that was for kitchen table play haha

Honestly, if you run out a Voice turn 2 and your opponent Angers it away, you're getting a 1 for 1 trade that normal, non Voice cards get. It's still not an awful trade and gets the card out of their hand. Lose two to it, and I'd say yeah, that sucks. Then again, you'll probably follow up with a Smiter turn 3 if all goes to plan. It's unfortunately something you'll (and aggro decks or decks that try to go under in general) probably have to play around now.

Maybe Bant-Voice could be a thing...? I don't really know though. I haven't even considered deck choices besides that Izzet one I posted a few pages back haha

I always maindecked Boros Charm in my Naya tokens build, but that was for kitchen table play haha

Honestly, if you run out a Voice turn 2 and your opponent Angers it away, you're getting a 1 for 1 trade that normal, non Voice cards get. It's still not an awful trade and gets the card out of their hand. Lose two to it, and I'd say yeah, that sucks. Then again, you'll probably follow up with a Smiter turn 3 if all goes to plan. It's unfortunately something you'll (and aggro decks or decks that try to go under in general) probably have to play around now.

Maybe Bant-Voice could be a thing...? I don't really know though. I haven't even considered deck choices besides that Izzet one I posted a few pages back haha

Yeah, I hope that I don't feel completely foolish for investing in this deck. :\
Anyway... Anger of the Gods also craps on my Hexproof Witchstalkers.
Spear of Heliod and perhaps Path of Bravery could help.

There's going to be so much red out there.

f0rk

Eh I don't know, decks with red that want a sweeper will probably have trouble with double red anyway. Board wipes are going to happen, just don't overextend into them. Putting to much into protection seems weak to me, why not just play another creature instead? Not like GW is short of good 2 drops

Here's what I currently have...

9 Forest
9 Plains
2 Selesnya Guildgate
4 Temple Garden
4 Fleecemane Lion
3 Scavenging Ooze
3 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Voice of Resurgence
2 Banisher Priest
4 Loxodon Smiter
2 Spear of Heliod
3 Witchstalker
4 Advent of the Wurm
2 Trostani, Selesnya's Voice
4 Archangel of Thune
1 Primeval Bounty

I do have a sideboard, but it almost feels random. I don't really know what to take out anyway. I haven't played this deck yet.

Pre-rotation the base of this deck could use Elvish Mystic, Arbor Elf and Avacyn's Pilgrim on top of four other dual lands.

OnPoint

It's tough to go all in on the acceleration plan with Anger out there. Even the hexproof mana dork dies to it. They really seem to be cultivating a midrangey standard environment.

I could sideboard this for it... one extra mana is easier to come up with than three. Won't work against Supreme Verdict though, I don't think.

paynoheed.jpg

kirblar

Is there a good visual search mechanism for standard legal cards? I keep needing to be able to look up entire shards at a time.

ultron87

The shuffling technique?
Yeah. Where they stack their deck land spell spell land etc. He shuffled kind of decently afterwards because I told him to and I shuffled a bunch when he presented so it isn't like why he won or anything.

But it just seems super bush league. Just pile shuffle. It has the same effect and you don't need to shuffle a shit load afterwards.

OnPoint

Yeah. Where they stack their deck land spell spell land etc. He shuffled kind of decently afterwards because I told him to and I shuffled a bunch when he presented so it isn't like why he won or anything.

But it just seems super bush league. Just pile shuffle. It has the same effect and you don't need to shuffle a shit load afterwards.

I used to do that and got yelled at. I see why it could be considered wrong now, but I personally don't think it's a huge deal since you can shuffle it as well.

Wouldn't it screw them up if you pile shuffled them?

ultron87

I used to do that and got yelled at. I see why it could be considered wrong now, but I personally don't think it's a huge deal since you can shuffle it as well.

Wouldn't it screw them up if you pile shuffled them?
It would. But that is cheating too.

If it had been at a competitive event I would've called a judge since you could probably get a game or match win. But at a prerelease they'd just tell them to shuffle a bunch which is what I did anyway.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is there a good visual search mechanism for standard legal cards? I keep needing to be able to look up entire shards at a time.

MTGO is surprisingly convenient and fluid for stuff like this.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Curses.

This is another feature the new client could use, actually, to generate a visual list of current cards.

Top Bottom