• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

AMUSIX

If Dissolve was targeting Archon, the Archon goes to the graveyard, but the heroic trigger definitely still happens (it specifically triggers on casting, not resolving the spell).

Whoops, sorry, it was Disperse, not Dissolve. And she cast it targeting the Phalanx Leader.

The heroic trigger would have been nice to get off, but I don't think it would have changed the outcome much. Still, was nice to see what were essentially two armies face off.

Whoops, sorry, it was Disperse, not Dissolve. And she cast it targeting the Phalanx Leader.

The heroic trigger would have been nice to get off, but I don't think it would have changed the outcome much. Still, was nice to see what were essentially two armies face off.

Archon resolves as a creature. The heroic trigger still happens though.

OnPoint

I wish I had the cash or the cards to play modern. Hell even standard t bh most of my mtg collection is just boxes of random common and uncommons from invasion block/oddesy

I did find a lone tropical island from revised that ill probably sell on ebay

How much are you looking to get for the Trop, and what would you charge a fellow GAF member?

Stand and be counted, who's going to SGC Open Oakland? We could duel it up!

I'm going for standard and maybe two headed sealed.

edit: what's the best option for playing extra colors in a dimir deck if I have DRS and Breaking // Entering? I only have blue/black mana outside of DRS, and I'll need green for exiling creatures and red for Entering.

Should I just toss in two unknown shores/ transguild promenades? Which is the better of the two?

rCIZZLE

Pumped for the GP but kind of bummed that I'll be missing the PS4 launch. We're leaving so early that even picking it up at midnight with a preorder would have been a hassle let alone standing in line all day trying to get one. The vendors better bring their foils since I'll be itching to do some spending this weekend.

kirblar

Pumped for the GP but kind of bummed that I'll be missing the PS4 launch. We're leaving so early that even picking it up at midnight with a preorder would have been a hassle let alone standing in line all day trying to get one. The vendors better bring their foils since I'll be itching to do some spending this weekend.
You don't have any extra Tropical Islands or a Bayou do you? :p

Got a ton of good trades tonight and got to test my milling deck.

Crypt Incursion wins games!

1. DRS/Thoughtseize
  2. Breaking
  3. Crypt Incursion/Ashiok/Desecration Demon/Far // Away
  4. Party Starter(Desecration Demon/Jace/Aberration)

Draxal

Holiday gift boxes are out.

Picked up one and in the four boosters I got a foil stormbreath out of it so I'm happy, as I just wanted it as a nice looking storage box.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Holiday gift boxes are out.

Picked up one and in the four boosters I got a foil stormbreath out of it so I'm happy, as I just wanted it as a nice looking storage box.

I'm planning to get one today. Knowing my luck, I'll pull a foil Titan of Eternal Fire.

f0rk

Made a mistake in ordering some of the B/R cards and sent them to my old student accommodation by accident which would have been fine but they apparently return everything for old tenants to sender straight away :(
Got most of them though (all the commons/uncommons and Blood Crypts lol) so hopefully someone can lend me the cards I'm missing. Are there any good alternatives to Xathrid Necromancer and Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch in B/R aggro?

Kacar

Finished 3rd at FNM and got my first ever promo!
Played black devotion splashing blue, got destroyed by RW aggro the second round.

Just lost a game at fnm when I had him at 2 but drew 0 mana for about 10 turns. I discarded until I died. The magic gods are not smiling on me tonight

So I've built an upgraded version of my Modern Twiddlestorm deck. It hasn't had nearly the amount of testing it needs, but heck - it's really just for fun anyway:

vKhhfc8.png

The main change is that I put two Whispering Madness into the maindeck to complement the Time Reversal and Reforge the Soul. I also dropped the cantrips in favor of three Glittering Wish and a wishboard, because why the hell not? Whispering Madness is a fantastic card to wish for, as it will let you continue the combo when you otherwise couldn't. You can also wish for a Dimir Infiltrator and transmute for a Grapeshot if you've built up enough storm and mana but haven't found the kill yet. Both of these have been very relevant to wins that I've had so far.

Other stuff to wish for: Research is a cute answer if they happen to Surgical your Grapeshot; just go get another one (and a Warrens, because why not) during your combo turn and shuffle it in! Notion Thief is a way to spend excess mana before dropping a draw-seven (just remember that it makes future Whispering Madness much worse). Verdict isn't for the combo turn, but wishing for a Verdict could be relevant in some board states I suppose. And Detention Sphere is your out against Leyline of Sanctity.

I'm sure there are more relevant gold cards that I haven't found yet to wish for

y2dvd

Made a mistake in ordering some of the B/R cards and sent them to my old student accommodation by accident which would have been fine but they apparently return everything for old tenants to sender straight away :(
Got most of them though (all the commons/uncommons and Blood Crypts lol) so hopefully someone can lend me the cards I'm missing. Are there any good alternatives to Xathrid Necromancer and Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch in B/R aggro?

What's your deck list looking like? My only lost was to a B/R aggro deck at FNM, which I was ready to face, but it just didn't go my way.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Found a fantastic, three story comic store that sells both German and English product. Got a steal on some German Theros and English commander sets.

No German Wurmcoil Engine tho

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";89838842]Stand and be counted, who's going to SGC Open Oakland? We could duel it up!

I'm going for standard and maybe two headed sealed.

edit: what's the best option for playing extra colors in a dimir deck if I have DRS and Breaking // Entering? I only have blue/black mana outside of DRS, and I'll need green for exiling creatures and red for Entering.

Should I just toss in two unknown shores/ transguild promenades? Which is the better of the two?[/QUOTE]

I'm going, actually heading out with a whole crew from my lgs. I don't have standard though. But we could play modern, legacy, or EDH. I'm playing in the legacy portion on Sunday.

An-Det

that combo into kill in turn 2 was ridiculous in game 2

That's why I love Tin Fins, it can do such crazy things, it's so much fun to play and watch. Hell, it can even go infinite and loop through the deck enough times to generate the mana to hardcast Emrakul.

So I've built an upgraded version of my Modern Twiddlestorm deck. It hasn't had nearly the amount of testing it needs, but heck - it's really just for fun anyway:

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can Wish (or Research) for cards that have been exiled anymore. They're no longer outside the game; they're just in exile. So you may want to cut that Research/Development if the main reason for it was to retrieve stuff that's been extracted.

AMUSIX

Quick rulecheck.

I'm playing nightveil specter, hit him, exile an instant.
Then I cast that instant.
Into whose graveyard does the instant go? Or does it remain exiled?

Only reason this came up was that he was playing Spellheart Chimera. Claimed that since I pulled the instant out of exile and cast it, it went into his graveyard and buffed his Chimera.

An-Det

Congrats rCIZZLE! Good luck tomorrow.

Quick rulecheck.

I'm playing nightveil specter, hit him, exile an instant.
Then I cast that instant.
Into whose graveyard does the instant go? Or does it remain exiled?

Only reason this came up was that he was playing Spellheart Chimera. Claimed that since I pulled the instant out of exile and cast it, it went into his graveyard and buffed his Chimera.

It goes into the graveyard of the owner after it is cast, so your opponent was right. If the card isn't played after Specter exiles it, it remains exiled.

AMUSIX

It goes into the graveyard of the owner after it is cast, so your opponent was right. If the card isn't played after Specter exiles it, it remains exiled.
Hmmm...thank you. Doubt the situation will come up again, but it's good to know.

Also, Specter is really fun to play.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can Wish (or Research) for cards that have been exiled anymore. They're no longer outside the game; they're just in exile. So you may want to cut that Research/Development if the main reason for it was to retrieve stuff that's been extracted.

There's a Grapeshot and Empty in the board as well; Research would be picking up those, not the one hit by Surgical.

Speaking of this deck, I had a heartbreaker earlier against an opponent with a Leyline of Sanctity and Phyrexian Unlife. I spent at least five minutes going off, carefully making sure that I could force the victory, but when I finally put the pieces together and pulled Sphere from my sideboard, he responded to it with Faith's Shield - all of that for nothing. :p

The deck is so bad, but so much fun to combo off with! I wish I could figure out a way to make it more consistent; you have to have so many pieces show up in your hand in just the right order to be able to actually win.

Grecco

Just came from a night drafting theros at a friends house did 2 drafts and went 5-1

I feel pretty strongly about my card evaluations and play I just don't nececarily feel I can correctly identify what colors are being underdrafted and how to effectively cut off colors .

So I've been tracking my performance in Theros 8-4s, and it's, well, not terrible. To date I've made the finals of approximately one out of every three of my Theros drafts, which is slightly higher than the expected rate. But what's interesting is that I've only ever come in second in a draft once (plus one split). It seems that when I get to the finals, I generally win the whole thing.

Obviously my sample size is pretty small, but I think this is an indication of a trend in the way I draft. I don't make the finals unless I have the best deck in the pod, which I think means one of two things. First, I'm could just be leaving some equity behind during the games themselves (meaning I need to get better at actually playing out the matches). What I think is more likely is that I'm weak in the draft portion itself. I think I'm definitely weak at drafting certain archetypes, but most importantly I'm very bad at salvaging a draft or drafting the "decent-but-not-great" deck.

I'm not quite sure how to describe it, but it always feels like the draft either goes very well or very poorly; I rarely leave a draft thinking that I have a B deck; I only ever think I have an A or an F - and the statistics seem to be bearing this out. Does anyone else feel this way? Any thoughts on how to "salvage" a bad draft?

y2dvd

Just came from a night drafting theros at a friends house did 2 drafts and went 5-1

I feel pretty strongly about my card evaluations and play I just don't nececarily feel I can correctly identify what colors are being underdrafted and how to effectively cut off colors .

You can normally tell what's underdrafted by the 4th card. People are usually rare drafting in the first 3 turns. If a good card pops up on the 4th turn, it's a good sign that it's an open color. I had an easy sign in one draft when my Vaporkin wheeled back to me in pack 1. Made it easy for me to go blue lol.

I think in pack 1, you just pick the best cards until about 3/4 of the way, then you start cutting colors. Pack 2 should make you lean on your end colors. I once drafted 3 separate colors in pack 1, first 3 picks. I just kept drafting the best of those three colors until pack 2 help me narrow it to two colors.

Oh and I will hella hate draft!

Grecco

I probably should have decided on 2 colors by pack 2 but iirc I had 2 wingsead riders, a heliods emissary and the lifelink bestow dude that made it difficult for me to cut white.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The new commander decks are SO much more fun to play than the last batch.

Question for those who played during Lorwyn...was Mirror Entity standard playable? Or did Faeries just run over it all day every day?

The new commander decks are SO much more fun to play than the last batch.

Question for those who played during Lorwyn...was Mirror Entity standard playable? Or did Faeries just run over it all day every day?

Hah, that's funny. I was just looking at that card because I'm helping a friend of mine try to make a Modern Sliver deck. Mirror Entity looked like a good add because he's basically a Sliver himself and can super pump the others.

Top Bottom