• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

OnPoint

This card was spoiled a while ago, but I just noticed the English version is available now:
mightmakesright.jpg

Card itself is meh, since you're probably already in a good position if you control the strongest creature, unless the opponent has a deathtouch creature or something, but the flavor of a giant just grabbing whoever he likes is great.

The flavor text is pretty cool though.

Firemind

Well, that went about as bad as it can get. Standard daily 0-2. In my defense, I totally did not know Quicken is a thing in U/W Control. Caught me by surprise after I pumped my Frostburn Weirds, not wanting to commit to the board.

Round two, game one: turn one Thoughtseize, turn two Thoughtseize, turn three Pack Rat. Welp. Game two got flooded in the end and that was that. Changed my sideboard to deal with these decks now.

Sigiled Starfish is almost a Merfolk Looter, only instead of improving hand quality it improves draw quality. Omenspeaker is worse than Starfish, obviously.

It's precisely because the format is fast that Omenspeaker is good. A body on the ground and immediate card selection for two mana. You need to have two drops, and Omenspeaker is completely fine and I'm always happy to have one.

EDIT: New Spoiler:

FJjfYL1.png

rCIZZLE

First Theros block draft in awhile at my LGS tonight since modern failed to fire (they're having a bigger tournament tomorrow). There's just something about this draft format that I don't like. Went 1-1 drop after an exciting game of 1/4s vs 1/4s that took us to time. Core sets are never too crazy but I'll probably be waiting for M15 before doing anymore limited.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I like this one.

How about "Stop trying to make Fetch happen, it's not going to happen!"

Magic: The GAFering |OT3| Mana up.
Magic: The GAFering |Turn Three OT|
Magic: The GAFering |OT| Three-Round Bye
Magic: The GAFering |OT3| It's like a fake stock market for crack addicts
Magic: The GAFering |OT3| Tap Keys, Float Posts

Jarate

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";118489490]Multicolor Ghenghis Khan riding dragons.[/QUOTE]

that actually sounds really badass

hows the state of standard right now?

that actually sounds really badass

hows the state of standard right now?

There are 5 competitive decks which is pretty good. 2 Control decks(UWx/Mono-Blackx Devotion), 2 aggro decks(Jund Monsters/Mono-Blue Devotion) and burn(RWb). There's also a few random/extreme decks flying around but nothing crazy. The decks are pretty simple but efficient as you'd expect from low-power standard cards.

rCIZZLE

Born and Journey were colossal failures when it came to mixing up standard. Plus the draft format isn't very fun imo. If there wasn't so much modern hype this summer I probably would be on magic break until the fall set.

Speaking of modern, has anybody been hitting up PTQs, GPTs, or have plans of going to GP Boston?

Haly

I think someone's going to bust it, either in Standard (depending on how much support they print), or in Modern.

BUT.

It doesn't strike me as an Affinity card. I'm not sure how it would work honestly. You would need artifact creatures, like Ornithopter and that other 0 cost guy, but also Artifacts that don't add to your convoke count.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";118599257]Theros block is one of my all-time favorite drafts.[/QUOTE]

Its much better than say, Vintage Masters.

Speaking of Vintage Masters, LSV does a draft of it and tries to do a Storm deck and then says, "oh well it didn't go so well." He got 4 packs. And opened a Black Lotus on the first pack. And passed an Underground Sea in the same pack.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I sort of wish Theros block was my favorite of anything. It's not even my favorite disliked set. It's the 40 degree day of MtG.

I like Theros a lot, mechanically. I think the drafts are interesting and skill-testing, and a lot of fun to play. Bestow and Monstrosity both make for interesting decisions.

If Born of the Gods hadn't been such ass, I think the block would be remembered quite fondly years from now.

Its much better than say, Vintage Masters.

Speaking of Vintage Masters, LSV does a draft of it and tries to do a Storm deck and then says, "oh well it didn't go so well." He got 4 packs. And opened a Black Lotus on the first pack. And passed an Underground Sea in the same pack.

I don't think LSV cares about card value so much. He's a true fan of the format.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";118631336]I don't think LSV cares about card value so much. He's a true fan of the format.[/QUOTE]

Well, I mean, he hasn't paid for a card since Odyssey

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Chief Engineer is easily my favorite card spoiled so far. Not necessarily the best power-wise, but between the flavor and how much its an effect I personally want to play its just a home run

ultron87

I don't think there is a place for Chief Engineer in the actual Affinity deck, but it sure will be fun to use him with cards that actually have Affinity. Cast the worlds cheapest Frogmites off two Memnites.

OT3 Khaaaaaaan(s)!

Though I probably like "Stop trying to make fetch happen" the best.

OnPoint

I think "stop trying to make fetch happen" is weird, insular and will look silly when they reprint the fetches.

So, what I'm saying is, it makes total sense and please use it :)

Haly

Except change it to fetchlands so it's more obviously a magic joke.

bigkrev

Yeah, it has to be a title about Fetches

Also, I saw this tweet earlier today...

And the more I think about it, I realize that this has just been a terrible year for Magic. Journey into Nyx and Born of the Gods were both bad sets and Standard has been awful for most of the year. MTGO is not only still on fire, but they are fixing it by throwing even more gasoline on the fire. Vintage Masters was not a great limited experience.

Hope M15 breaks the trend

Spades

Sorry for the noddy question but can someone please explain what can happen with this card when it is cast in layman's terms to me? The terminology used has baffled me.

Q5ybAjajVI_EN.jpg

ultron87

Two choices:

A) You can cast it for 1W and it is a 3/2 creature that can't attack by itself.

B) You cast it for 4W and it is instead an enchantment aura that enchants a creature and gives it +3/+2 and can't attack alone. If the creature it is enchanting dies or goes away at any point the Sightless Brawler remains on the battlefield and becomes a 3/2 creature.

Spades

Two choices:

A) You can cast it for 1W and it is a 3/2 creature that can't attack by itself.

B) You cast it for 4W and it is instead an enchantment aura that enchants a creature and gives it +3/+2 and can't attack alone. If the creature it is enchanting dies or goes away at any point the Sightless Brawler remains on the battlefield and becomes a 3/2 creature.

Thank you!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Magic: The GAFering |OT3| Stop trying to make fetch happen

Magic: The GAFering |OT3| Wrath of the Khans of Tarkir

Magic: The GAFering |OT3| Izzet Me, Izzet You: A Love Story

Magic: The GAFering |OT3| The Triumphant Return of Banding

Top Bottom