• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Actually, now that you mention it, I use a Playstation Move navigation controller to play MTGO (with F2 bound to the trigger), so I probably could easily fap and play at the same time.

Not that I would, of course.

On the subject of casual: a while back, I decided that I should just build an EDH deck so I would have one in my bag for the occasional pick-up games. So I've been trading for pieces, picking up things here and there, and build a mostly-functional Prime Speaker Zegana deck. Tonight was the first night I actually used it. And nobody respected me until I made infinite mana and Capsized them all.

I didn't get to do much in the following games because suddenly I couldn't be left alone, but it was kinda fun to make them eat their words once.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Actually, now that you mention it, I use a Playstation Move navigation controller to play MTGO (with F2 bound to the trigger), so I probably could easily fap and play at the same time.

Not that I would, of course.

Of course.

Back on the subject, IRL I play exclusively casual. I have 6 EDH decks and 2-4 casual standard decks (Burn, Minos tribal, mono green and a mono white Nykthos) that I play with to have fun. But, I don't know what to talk about with those, so most of the stuff to talk about ITT is the competitive stuff I build online. Not sure if that's the same for others.

I mean, EDH decks are like kids. They're lovable to their creators, but ain't nobody trying to hear me talk about how adorable it was when I had to race myself when I got Graveborn Muse and Endless Ranks on the board at the same time.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I havent been reading about magic recently, but whats the next set lore going to be

Wasnt super interested in Theros, but may come back if the next set is good

Khans of Tarkir, its a dragon themed set with some Mongolian influences. We'll learn more at Comicon this year

red13th

constrictingsliver.jpg

Well, Doug Beyer's tumblr did say that there would still be some new-style slivers.

Wow Wizards, one simple thing you could have done right and you STILL manage to blow it, you incompetent idiots.

Maledict

I am perplexed as to why they would half and half it. That constricting Sliver card just reminds people how utterly terrible the new design for slivers actually is.

JulianImp

Probably only in formats where there's a viable combo deck.

God damn, you just reminded me of the two tournaments where I played Eggs in pre-modern extended. It was like both my opponent and I were basically goldfishing to see who'd reach a win condition first, and taking upwards of ten minutes to go through the motions was so much of a pain...

After that second tournament, I decided I'd never make other people live through that crap, and promptly stuffed the deck into a box I haven't opened since then.

So, new Jace looks like the worst iteration of Wizards' poster boy for planeswalkers, which is kind of odd (+1 doesn't even draw cards? -3 just bounces?)... At least, I like the new Ajani and Nissa so far.

I'd say I don't care about this newer slivers keeping the "slivers you control" clause from M14, since this is the kind of effect that'd feel downright awful if your opponent could take advantage of it (ie: "thanks for tapping out for a single O-ring that turned my slivers into rings as well, sucker"). I'm a bit sad that the CMC is so high, though, since that probably means it won't be seeing play in constructed, even in a hypothetical janky last hurrah sliver deck.

ultron87

That one at least looks like it could've maybe evolved from a Sliver unlike the M14 ones that were just dudes with legs. Sure it has a face, but it at least has that body shape.

It is also cool that the new O-ring template allows them to do that ability on a Sliver since the old text would've meant all the stuff was permanently exiled under your other slivers if the Constricting Sliver died.

I havent been reading about magic recently, but whats the next set lore going to be

Wasnt super interested in Theros, but may come back if the next set is good

The upcoming set is Khans of Tarkir.
dph4x3i8zl_k.jpg

We don't really know much beyond this picture, except that Sarkhan Vol will be in it, and that unlike Theros, this is a set where the mechanics were the basis, as opposed to the flavor. Cards currently being released do imply that there is going to be a heavy theme of creating big armies of small creatures, and there are probably going to be dragons, since the seconds or third set is rumored to be called Dragons of Tarkir. The block will be large-small-large, meaning the first and last sets of the block will be large and the second will be small.

I am perplexed as to why they would half and half it. That constricting Sliver card just reminds people how utterly terrible the new design for slivers actually is.

While it's not directly stated here, given how previous art descriptions for other cards have looked, I suspect the sliver designs were actually left up to the individual artist. For example, the art description for Constricting Sliver probably just called for a big sliver wrapping up a guy in tentacles that looks menacing, and it was the artist who chose to make it humanoid. The point of the new sliver look was to allow the freelance artists more freedom with its design, so I'm guessing many of them were actually upset at the call to return to the old designs, which is probably why we're getting a half-and-half thing.

ultron87

Is there any more evidence for Khans being a multicolor block besides "those flags have 3 colors!" that I missed? It seems way too early for them to do a full on multicolor block again with RTR just rotating out.

red13th

They never did a wedge (RUG Junk etc) block before, could be cool.

EDIT: BTW my problem with the new sliver templating isn't that it's bad, it's that old classic slivers like Muscle Sliver, Crystalline Sliver and whatever won't be reprinted, and that's bad. (although Crystalline, my favourite of the bunch, gives shroud which is a no go anyway)

OnPoint

EDIT: BTW my problem with the new sliver templating isn't that it's bad, it's that old classic slivers like Muscle Sliver, Crystalline Sliver and whatever won't be reprinted, and that's bad. (although Crystalline, my favourite of the bunch, gives shroud which is a no go anyway)

I feel like Shroud is way more balanced than Hexproof.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm also getting the vibe that we're about to head into a multicolor set.

I really doubt they'd go multicolor block right after RTR rotates. I'm expecting it to be relatively even.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Tribal is the thing people have been wanting back for a long time that they're going to do again. I mean, the picture and the theme just scream "tribes."

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Maybe not tribes, so much as "clans". Like a creature/spell subtype that functions like a tribe.

To make things clear to readers, Maro feels that the tribal card type was a mistake, but feels that tribal set themes are great. He does think that if Magic started over from the beginning, allowing spells to have creature subtypes is probably something he would have had, but it doesn't work as a retrofit.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
To make things clear to readers, Maro feels that the tribal card type was a mistake, but feels that tribal set themes are great. He does think that if Magic started over from the beginning, allowing spells to have creature subtypes is probably something he would have had, but it doesn't work as a retrofit.

Yeah, Tribal as a theme is just fine, its just that the Tribal supertype creates too much inconsistency because basically every set has cards that creatively seem tribal.

An-Det

Jeez, we're just about at the 20k posts mark, a full 6 months faster than OT1.

They'll definitely get around to enemy shards eventually. We had a bit of that in Apocalypse, but nothing to the extent that we had in the Shards block, which I'd love to see. Really curious to see what they'd call them, since they wouldn't reuse the Apocalypse names.

OnPoint

Jeez, we're just about at the 20k posts mark, a full 6 months faster than OT1.

They'll definitely get around to enemy shards eventually. We had a bit of that in Apocalypse, but nothing to the extent that we had in the Shards block, which I'd love to see. Really curious to see what they'd call them, since they wouldn't reuse the Apocalypse names.
Those Apocalypse shard names have no identity. I hate them

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Guys check out this sick Dega deck I made.

VOMIT.

Cards from the intro packs:

Chronostutter 5U
Instant (C)
Put target creature into its owner's library second from the top.
Timing is everything.

Nimbus of the Isles 4U
Creature - Elemental (C)
Flying
The people of the Sevick Isles have a unique understanding of the term "ominous clouds."
3/3

Research Assistant 1U
Creature - Human Wizard (C)
3U, T: Draw a card, then discard a card.
There are many words and phrases that can cause an experienced wizard to tremble in fear. Chief among them is "oops."
1/3

Festergloom 2B
Sorcery (C)
Nonblack creatures get -1/-1 until end of turn.
The death of a scout can be as informative as a safe return.

Borderland Marauder 1R
Creature - Human Warrior (C)
When borderland Marauder attacks, it gets +2/+0 until end of turn.
Though she is rightly feared, there are relatively few tales of her deeds in battle, for few survive her raids.
1/2

Shaman of Spring 3G
Creature - Elf Shaman (C)
When Shaman of Spring enters the battlefield, draw a card.
Some shamanic sects advocate the different seasons, each working to preserve nature's cycles.
2/2

And Gravedigger is at uncommon. Borderland Marauder seems decent enough, but the others are eh. Also, with Research Assistant, Rummaging Goblin suddenly looks like a much better option in Limited.

Holy shit is Research Assistant for real? Whatever happened to Merfolk Looter?

People were complaining about how red looting was so much weaker than blue looting, so I guess they made blue looting weaker to compensate.

Although really, Research Assistant is a 1/3 for 1U, so it's a perfectly fine choice in Limited, and the ability is just watery gravy.

bigkrev

Research Assistant makes me angry
Also, after sleeping on it for a night, I have a feeling Jace 5.0 is going to see a fair amount of play. That Second ability is really good, the first ability is probably better than Scry 1, he has a lot of Loyalty, and that ultimate is a realistic target and devastating.

Crocodile

Holy shit is Research Assistant for real? Whatever happened to Merfolk Looter?

To be fair, Merfolk Looter is the best blue common and often the straight up best common in any set its printed in. For limited balancing, I can understand why they may want to exclude it.

Also, after sleeping on it for a night, I have a feeling Jace 5.0 is going to see a fair amount of play. That Second ability is really good, the first ability is probably better than Scry 1, he has a lot of Loyalty, and that ultimate is a realistic target and devastating.

That's my feeling as well though the greedy bastard I am, I would have loved a few tweaks here and there.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

What was the deal with the tribal card type, anyways? I don't even know what it was since I wasn't playing then.

Speaking of Jace, President of Ravnica, I wish they'd make a walker that had a less linear design (+1, -1, ULTIMATE!) that didn't end up being crappy Sarkhan.

ultron87

What was the deal with the tribal card type, anyways? I don't even know what it was since I wasn't playing then.

They were non creature spells that had creature types so they could interact with stuff that looked for creature types. So if you have a Bitterblossom on the field, it counts towards your Faerie count for stuff like Spellstutter Sprite and gets Shroud from Scion of Oona.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";118527062]I actually consider 2 mana 1/3 unplayable in limited before abilities.[/QUOTE]

If that is true I'd probably disagree with your definition of unplayable. It isn't ever a stupendous card or even a good one but a 1/3 is a fine 20th plus card in the majority of limited formats.

Edit: Assuming you're not on a super aggressive plan.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";118527062]I actually consider 2 mana 1/3 unplayable in limited before abilities.[/QUOTE]
There are definitely formats where this is straight-up wrong.

Merfolk Looter is overpowered as fuck, though. It's a first-pick common every time it gets printed.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";118531088]The whole idea of a 1/x flavor text just freaks me out. I can't do it.[/QUOTE]

It took me a while to parse that, but I'm guessing you mean a vanilla creature with a power of 1 (and any defense) that has nothing but flavor text in its text box.

Firemind

To be fair, Merfolk Looter is the best blue common and often the straight up best common in any set its printed in. For limited balancing, I can understand why they may want to exclude it.

Merfolk Looter was an uncommon in 7th Edition iirc. No reason not to do the same instead of printing this garbage.

I consider Omenspeaker a barely playable card in a considerably aggressive format. This is much worse. Something something core set.

Spades

I had a go at building my first ever deck and I'd appreciate some feedback:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/first-deck-green/

Please note that I don't have many cards
at the moment
- all I have is an M14 Intro Deck, an M14 Deck Builder's Toolkit and a dozen boosters. I do plan on spending a lot more on cards in the near future (especially when M15 hits in a few weeks) but for now I'm just trying to build an okay deck so I can learn the game (I know the basics at the moment, but that is it) and start to understand some tactics.

Thanks in advance.

Angry Grimace

at the moment
- all I have is an M14 Intro Deck, an M14 Deck Builder's Toolkit and a dozen boosters. I do plan on spending a lot more on cards in the near future (especially when M15 hits in a few weeks) but for now I'm just trying to build an okay deck so I can learn the game (I know the basics at the moment, but that is it) and start to understand some tactics.

Thanks in advance.

Don't be afraid of getting cards from the Theros block - Theros, Born of the Gods, Journey into Nyx. They're going to be legal until Fall of 2015.

A green deck is usually looking to "ramp," into big creatures - meaning, use small creatures that increase your mana count so you can get up to the big fat creatures. A mono-green deck will almost always run 4 Elvish Mystics, and possibly more (stuff like Satyr Voyager or Golden Hind also increase your mana in the same way).

at the moment

Thanks in advance.

Some fun ideas! You've got a lot of big dudes to spend your mana on, so you might want to try moving out some of the reactive stuff for more ways to generate mana. Guys like Voyaging Satyr are really cheap and easy to get a hold of, as well as a 4th Mystic. The staff, desecration plague and fogs should probably move out for stuff like that. You want to make it as easy on yourself as possible when you're playing big creatures. You don't need removal or life gain because your opponent should be the one worrying about that!

Angry Grimace

Merfolk Looter was an uncommon in 7th Edition iirc. No reason not to do the same instead of printing this garbage.

I consider Omenspeaker a barely playable card in a considerably aggressive format. This is much worse. Something something core set.

You must not have taken many Sigiled Starfish.

Firemind

Sigiled Starfish is almost a Merfolk Looter, only instead of improving hand quality it improves draw quality. Omenspeaker is worse than Starfish, obviously.

This card was spoiled a while ago, but I just noticed the English version is available now:
mightmakesright.jpg

Card itself is meh, since you're probably already in a good position if you control the strongest creature, unless the opponent has a deathtouch creature or something, but the flavor of a giant just grabbing whoever he likes is great.

Top Bottom