• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Constricting Sliver 5W
Slivers you control have "Whenever this creature enters the battlefield, exile target creature an opponent controls until this creature leaves the battlefield."
3/3
constrictingsliver.jpg

Well, Doug Beyer's tumblr did say that there would still be some new-style slivers. In any case, what I was hoping from this uncommon cycle of slivers was weird effects that weren't just keyword abilities, and it looks like we're getting precisely that, so I'm happy.

Also, concerning Hushwing Gryff, it's nice that we're getting a gryff card after we didn't actually get any in Avacyn Restored. Interesting that they're Hippogriffs.

Also, nice to see a Jace that doesn't look super powerful, but do remember that everyone said the same thing about Architect of Thought.

OnPoint

635394205213816210.png

Terrible.

1. I called the LSV troll. I know we still got Jace. But I called it.

2. This card is weird. I don't quite know how to evaluate it. It's a very different kind of Jace, and blue putting something into the graveyard seems... oddly placed.

3. It's going to look fucking awesome in foil.

Since some people here were upset when Maro said Liliana of the Veil was too strong for Standard:
justaskingmaro said: I was really surprised to read you considered Liliana of the Veil to be too powerful for standard. She was just in Standard! And she didn't seem too powerful to me, just expensive ($). I'm curious, are there any cards in standard right now you think is too powerful for standard?

Let me clarify. Development believes it is too powerful for the current Standard in which monoblack is so dominant.

y2dvd

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";118452191]:-(

Control is dead.[/QUOTE]

Everyone bitched about it but now that it's gone, people don't know they had a good thing. :(

Crocodile

Anyone with half a brain figured out this was the reason LOL

That card is too good, lol.

What makes it "too good" as opposed to "very good". I feel people (not necessarily you) apply "too good" or "broken" to any card that puts up good results in a format. Jace 4.0 was obviously a card Wizards intentionally pushed to be a good in T2 (and occasionally Modern) but nothing about the card or how it has played out in T2 crosses the threshold into "mistake" IMO.

Exokell

Banned
Haha. Remember when people where dissapointed with architect of thought? He wins guildpact and becomes shitty. Like nissa, hope garruk wont disappoint

What makes it "too good" as opposed to "very good". I feel people (not necessarily you) apply "too good" or "broken" to any card that puts up good results in a format. Jace 4.0 was obviously a card Wizards intentionally pushed to be a good in T2 (and occasionally Modern) but nothing about the card or how it has played out in T2 crosses the threshold into "mistake" IMO.

I think he just means that it's had its run and we'd rather not have to play with it for another year.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

What this means to me is that she will be in M16, she's only not in M15 because monoblack is "too good."

Anyone with half a brain figured out this was the reason LOL

Jace AOT and Elspeth, Sun's Champion are my favorite PW cards they've done because they're excellent cards without being obnoxious and gamebreaking.

kirblar

I think Jace led to things like the hyper-obnoxious mono-red deck, because they had to push these weenie decks hard in a format where there's a torpor orb that brainstorms into a Wrath when you untap.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
MiFdUl5.jpg

Obviously this card that sees play in multiple formats is bad because it dies to Hero's Downfall.

So Brian Wong is articulating exactly why I hate Vintage Masters on the latest episode of LR. It's really good to hear someone with a respected voice in the community finally start making it clear that the format actually isn't that good.

Crocodile

I think he just means that it's had its run and we'd rather not have to play with it for another year.

Oh I agree with that sentiment - the card had it's time in the sun, time to move on. That's different than the card being "too good" though. That the card influenced the metagame/development in a way he wasn't a fan of is a fair point (but is also different than "too good" IMO).

So Brian Wong is articulating exactly why I hate Vintage Masters on the latest episode of LR. It's really good to hear someone with a respected voice in the community finally start making it clear that the format actually isn't that good.

Just from watching some streams, it seemed to get "solved" pretty fast. The gameplay in most of the games is pretty good though from what I've seen. I'm curious to what Wong had to say overall though but then again I was going to listen to this episode regardless :p

Angry Grimace

I honestly don't quite get how anyone could play Monoblack Devotion and/or Esper/Azorius Control and feel proud of themselves or happy with the deck. Its so fucking generic. Wow, you played Sphinx's Revelation at the end of the turn. Such a surprising, intelligent play. Seriously, there's practically no variation in any of the decks right down to slavishly copying that guy that splashed green for Abrupt Decay.

I honestly don't quite get how anyone could play Monoblack Devotion and/or Esper/Azorius Control and feel proud of themselves or happy with the deck. Its so fucking generic. Wow, you played Sphinx's Revelation at the end of the turn. Such a surprising, intelligent play. Seriously, there's practically no variation in any of the decks right down to slavishly copying that guy that splashed green for Abrupt Decay.

Speaking of mindless, I proxied up my old Mythic Conscription deck. Goddamn it's so nutty sometimes.

1. Play Land ->Bird/Hierarch
  2. Play Lotus Cobra -> Play & Crack Fetch -> Play Geist of St. Traft
  3. Play & Crack Fetch -> Play Sovereigns -> Swing with Geist for 17+ ggs

If you want to win, you aren't concerned about expressing your own creativity. If it works, you do it.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

I don't understand this one at all. We supposed to not feel good about winning with the tools that are available?

Nah, I feel pretty good being able to answer their cards with mine.

Angry Grimace

I don't understand this one at all. We supposed to not feel good about winning with the tools that are available?

Nah, I feel pretty good being able to answer their cards with mine.

Are you suggesting I'm just salty about playing that same goddamn deck every fucking tournament? Because that's wrong. Totally wrong. No shred of truth to that at all.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is this the Hearthstone thread?

Are we really at the point of talking about "netdecking"?

Angry Grimace

I think its kind of funny I picked up all of the Power 9 to play Vintage, but I haven't gotten the deck completely together because I don't want to buy fetchlands.

In case anybody's interested in a blast from the past, here's my streamlined version of Mythic Conscription:

Creatures(24)
  • 4 Birds of Paradise
  • 4 Noble Hierarch
  • 4 Lotus Cobra
  • 4 Knight of the Reliquary
  • 4 Geist of Saint Traft
  • 4 Sovereigns of Lost Alara
Instants/Sorceries(9)
  • 4 Explore
  • 4 Mana Leak
  • 2 Remand
Other(2)
  • 2 Eldrazi Conscription
Land(24)
  • 3 Forest
  • 2 Island
  • 2 Plains
  • 4 Misty Rainforest
  • 2 Verdant Catacombs
  • 2 Marsh Flats
  • 3 Breeding Pool
  • 2 Temple Garden
  • 2 Hallowed Fountain
  • 1 Stirring Wildwood
  • 1 Sejiri Steppe

Just cut out all the crap to make it super efficient. The original Mythic Conscription existed in a modern era without strong control, and now UWR is a premiere deck. I cut all but two of the taplands, all the planeswalkers and just shoved the mana curve down and increased redundancy as much as possible. One of the problems I was having with walkers is that you can't cast them off a turn two Lotus Cobra. Geist is just always better. Explore and Remand are the worst cards here, so it's possible to bring back Elspeth/Ajani based on your comfort levels. If you do, I recommend cutting the remands for two walkers, and the 4th Explore for a Bant Charm.

Live the dream, kids! Turn 3 annihilator two trigger:
  1. Play Land ->Bird/Hierarch
  2. Play Lotus Cobra -> Play Fetch
  3. Play Lotus Cobra, Crack Fetch, Play & Crack Fetch -> hard cast Eldrazi Conscription like a motherfucker

f0rk

It's pretty funny that the only Modern playable cards they have been printing recently are hate enchantments/artifacts on a body. Will probably play that 2/1 in my sideboard over Torpor Orb.

Zocano

I like parts of what MonoBlack had when Theros first came out. I haven't kept up with Standard since BotG but Whip and Pack Rat mechanics were really fun, interesting, and could get you out of a pinch if the cards fell in the right order.

edit: Again, I'll note I love Black's general playstyle and I also think Waste Not is a neat card. I like discard-focused decks ):

Jarate

Banned
I havent been reading about magic recently, but whats the next set lore going to be

Wasnt super interested in Theros, but may come back if the next set is good

Top Bottom