• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Does Legacy on MTGO fire regularly nowadays? It never reliably did, not even in the 2-mans , back when I was into it a few years ago. I'd love to play a 4-round event once or twice a week in the format and due to lifestyle issues can't really make my local legacy events like I used to (I barely play paper MTG anymore).

Also, as an aside I played Legacy Jund in real life last week and wanted to kill myself by round four the deck was so boring to play. I get that it's a good deck but as a man who loves his non-blue midrange decks, this is easily the least fun of that archetype to pilot. killing people with colossal knight of the reliquaries, zenith for primeval titan, or with seismic assault are much more entertaining, if far less effective, options.

I think card availability for legacy on MTGO is still a problem, so I don't think too many events go off.

rCIZZLE

I think card availability for legacy on MTGO is still a problem, so I don't think too many events go off.

Ya I'd be all over it if the prices on some stuff like FoW and LED were cheaper since there's really no weekly legacy events where I live. No idea why they don't support the format on MTGO.

Nice to see we finally have a DeckBox community. I will update my trade & wish list soon. I look forward to trading with fellow GAFers.

edit: I sent a join request BTW.

rCIZZLE

I'm just skipping boxes and going straight for 4 new-frame Tarmogoyfs since I've already got the majority of the Modern Masters reprints already. (Investing a ton a year or two ago has paid off huge.)

I figure grabbing a box is pretty safe since demand will always outweigh supply (assuming they don't fill it with junk rares). Likely end up waiting a couple weeks to see how the prices move. If they don't skyrocket then I'll probably crack/draft since there are rumors of multiple MM shipments.

f0rk

Are the distributions done at different times for different regions? Haven't seen anything anywhere about Modern Masters in the UK

rCIZZLE

Are the distributions done at different times for different regions? Haven't seen anything anywhere about Modern Masters in the UK

No idea. If you have a store nearby you should ask if they received allocations since most stores in the US already have.

rCIZZLE

They've been going in and out of stock for a couple hours now. Probably has a lot to do with people's cards getting denied and shit. Keep an eye on it.

OnPoint

They're doing multiple runs, but they have certainly not provided stores with enough initial supply.

3 Cases = 3.6 Tarmogoyfs. What are they thinking?

That $150 'goyfs going down to something affordable would piss off collectors to a point that the entire game would collapse. That's what I figure they were thinking.

Which is stupid. Because if I could afford to play Modern I would be buying so many more cards. But $60 for a card that's pretty much just a slightly better Duress is not something I'm jumping into.

f0rk

The Solforge PC beta is literally a direct port of the iPad version, it doesn't have an options menu or anything. Blizzard are going to destroy these guys.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The Solforge PC beta is literally a direct port of the iPad version, it doesn't have an options menu or anything. Blizzard are going to destroy these guys.

Lol. This is what happens when game players and designers think they can just market a game off the celebrity of their names.

On the MM's thing, I totally would buy a box for 200 bucks.

kirblar

I would not have wanted to be in range of the Solforge guys when Hearthstone was announced. Talk about getting "Malibu Stacy'd."

Is there a way to make your collection private on deckbox? I kind of want to use it just to organize my cards, but I don't want to get people trying to trade with me, because I don't really want to do any trading.

rCIZZLE

Is there a way to make your collection private on deckbox? I kind of want to use it just to organize my cards, but I don't want to get people trying to trade with me, because I don't really want to do any trading.

If you put everything in the inventory and don't put anything on your wishlist then you won't show up on really any trading list. Just put "not doing any trading" or something similar in your profile and you really shouldn't get any requests.

Don't really think there's any way to set your profile 100% private, though.

Wichu

Should I still join the Deckbox group if I'm not in the US and don't want to bother with international postage? I know there are more UK Magic-GAFfers, so I think some trades could come out of it nevertheless...

Are you looking for a "sweet" Modern deck? I'm testing this, and while the current version of this is lacking, it feel like there's something here. There has to be. When it goes online, the combo is just too strong.

I give you: UB Dredge!

QvYmh5D.png

Put Sphinx onto battlefield. Discard two dredge cards to his ability, then dredge them back. Fill your yard until you have a Laboratory Maniac and an Unburial Rites in the yard. Rites back Maniac, then activate Sphinx until you win.

What's good about the deck:

• It's sweet!
  • It laughs at discard spells.
  • The interaction between Sphinx of the Chimes and Dredge is insane.
  • You don't need to target your opponent - ever.
  • All you need to do, usually, is stick one Sphinx to win. If it gets removed, fill your yard until you have another one in the chamber for next turn.

What's bad about the deck:

• The combo is very mana intensive. Playing around countermagic is nigh impossible.
  • The combo is quite slow; it has a hard time with fast clocks.
  • None of the dredge cards can go into the yard without a little help.
  • It can't really beat graveyard hate in its current iteration without a lot of luck.

I'm not saying this deck is good. I'm saying it's sweet. There's a difference. :)

Not convinced the Talismans are good. Not convinced the Heartless Summoning is good. Something like Thirst for Knowledge might be really good here. Still playing with it.

WanderingWind

DGM Spoiler: Render Silent WUU: Counter target spell. Its caster cannot cast spells this turn.

AKA: Okay, we're sorry here is a semi-playable counter spell for standard. Our bad.

EDIT: Still getting all confused with mana shorthand...ha

ultron87

That second one seems pretttyyy familiar. :p

I like that counterspell. Seems cool. And its Azorius. So, yay! Now to just wait till Cavern rotates.

Ok, GAF, if you were going to slowly build up a collection in MTGO starting now, where would you do it?

2013 to build up some staples or one of the expansions?

It's hard starting over...

f0rk

Ok, GAF, if you were going to slowly build up a collection in MTGO starting now, where would you do it?

2013 to build up some staples or one of the expansions?

It's hard starting over...

Don't buy boosters. Pick a format and buy staples, or draft

WanderingWind

Burning Tree Emissary.

I.e.

Turn 1 Mountain, Stromkirk
Turn 2 Mountain, BTE, BTE, BTE, Flinthoof Boar
Turn 3 HOMG DAMAGE

Which, incidentally is the deck I'm bringing to FNM.

4 x Burning Tree Emissary
4 x Flinthoof Boar
4 x Rakdos Cackler
4 x Experiment One
3 x Strangleroot Geist
3 x Hellrider
2 x Gore-clan Rampager

4x Pillar of Flame
4 x Searing Spear
2 x Madcap Skills
1 x Skullcrack
2 x Clan Defiance

4 x Rootbound Craig
4 x Stomping Grounds
10 x Mountains
6 x Forest

OnPoint

Burning Tree Emissary.

I.e.

Turn 1 Mountain, Stromkirk
Turn 2 Mountain, BTE, BTE, BTE, Flinthoof Boar
Turn 3 HOMG DAMAGE

3 BTE in opening hand/by turn 2 is unlikely, but my buddy plays this and he does at least 2 BTE on turn 2 pretty often.

Oh yes. BTE. Of course. I'm silly.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How much life gain do you feel is "equivalent" in value to life loss? I'm tempted to say 3 life = 1 life loss, or maybe 5 to 2.

Top Bottom