• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

y2dvd

Oh man what an awesome deck. I don't even understand how it got so far either. 5 creatures, 1 Jace, Memory Adept and no Nephalia Drownyard. Wut wat!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hah, I feel vindicated in calling that Burning Tree Emmisary would make play. It didn't get a lot of attention on reveal but it looks like almost every deck running RG has some.

Also Color Choice is up. I don't want it to be blue just because any interesting effect on a blue enchantment is 100% going to be overcosted. I think something really interesting in black or green might work though

An-Det

I'm voting either white or green. If we have to go with enchantments over land I want a decent new Enchantress card out of it.

Also a new duel deck announced (which will contain 6 preview cards from the big Fall set)

1202_logo_6domkudm.jpg

ultron87

Snap poll had me vote White. Because it is my second favorite color and Blue seems too obvious. Will consider other options for votes from other devices :p

Yay new Duel Deck! I love Duel Decks.

Hero

Red is the only color that doesn't have a ridiculously good enchantment so I voted for it.

Sadly it will be blue.

Yeef

I voted white, because it as the widest range or possible effects and casting costs for enchantments. Red was my first choice, but most of Red enchantments have either already been done or way too costly.

Voted black as well. It has the most options as far as alternate costs are concerned for more interesting effects (sacrificing creatures, paying life, etc).

Lucario

This Standard season is turning everything that's supposed to be true about Magic on its head. Look at the second place list from this Standard MTGO PTQ:

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Digital/MagicOnlineTourn.aspx?x=mtg/digital/magiconline/tourn/5230519

4 Fog? 4 Clinging Mist? New Gideon? And another similar list got 18th? I thought these were supposed to be bad cards...how are these decks succeeding?

splashing green for farseeks and fogs (including a 3cmc variant fog) is the funniest fucking thing I've seen in competitive magic

also, I vote for Humility to be reprinted.

Simic colors.

In standard.

1UUG.

kirblar

This Standard season is turning everything that's supposed to be true about Magic on its head. Look at the second place list from this Standard MTGO PTQ:

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Digital/MagicOnlineTourn.aspx?x=mtg/digital/magiconline/tourn/5230519

4 Fog? 4 Clinging Mist? New Gideon? And another similar list got 18th? I thought these were supposed to be bad cards...how are these decks succeeding?
Oh, good - that was the deck (with the Counterflux->Dissipate) change I was going to run. Good to see it still putting up results.

Lucario

Oh, good - that was the deck (with the Counterflux->Dissipate) change I was going to run. Good to see it still putting up results.

stop playing good decks in standard

wait for m14, then play battle of griselbrand wits + those demon guys that fetch bigger demon guys + faith's reward.

immortal servitude too. All the jank combo decks in one hugeass stack of pink dragon shields.

I'm torn. I want to vote Red because it's my favorite color, but I also want to vote White for Bruna EDH deck, which is the whole reason I switched to Enchantments in the first place.

Sneak Attack!
Sulfuric Vortex is pretty good too.

And Seismic Assault! And I think that's about it, though Volcanic Strength has been seeing some play.

Okay say I put down experiment one on turn one, turn 2 I put down timberland wolf and evolve triggers. If I put down another timberland wolf, does it come out already buffed by the first and trigger evolve again?

ultron87

Okay say I put down experiment one on turn one, turn 2 I put down timberland wolf and evolve triggers. If I put down another timberland wolf, does it come out already buffed by the first and trigger evolve again?

Assuming you're talking about Timberpack Wolf, yes. The buff it gets is a static ability so it will be in effect as soon is it enters.

Short answer: yes

The evolve trigger will go on the stack after the 2nd wolf hits the battlefield. By this time, the wolf sees his buddy, has his +1/+1 bonus, and fulfills the requirements for your Exp. 1 to evolve again.

Hero

Sneak Attack!
Sulfuric Vortex is pretty good too.

I'm torn. I want to vote Red because it's my favorite color, but I also want to vote White for Bruna EDH deck, which is the whole reason I switched to Enchantments in the first place.

And Seismic Assault! And I think that's about it, though Volcanic Strength has been seeing some play.

None of those are as broken as Oath of Druids, Necropotence, Dream Halls, Omniscience, Moat, etc.

OnPoint

Goblin Bombardment comes to mind as well.

Only the first 2 can be considered broken. Sneak Attack is easily better than the others.

I still think Omniscience stands up there with Sneak Attack. I have a hard time thinking of a more powerful effect, and there are always ways to cheat that shit in.

MiicD

Banned
We should post want we want to trade lists somewhere or something,.. I've got a few I'd like to trade *cough* Foil farseek *cough*.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Now do you see what your enchantment votes have wrought?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
White and Black probably have the greatest chance of actually being something not-crazy-wacky and not-overcosted. Green is on the edge as well I feel, and I voted for green because if it does end up going wacky-crazy it will probably be something involving resource manipulation, and those are my favorite kind.

I started a google doc:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnM16vwtxEBSdDBQWTc3RVd1cHdtMElqeDZCMXk0QkE&usp=sharing

Send me a PM with your email if you want editing rights. I think this is a good way to organize it since filtering allows us to just append cards and still be able to look at things in an orderly fasion. Feel free to suggest a different way of doing this or changes.

EDIT: I didn't realize filters don't work for viewers. NOOOO. Should I just hide the link and allow everyone editing rights?

rCIZZLE

Don't want to step on anybody's toes but what about deckbox.org? I've used it for over a year and it's really convenient for both managing collections and trading. Quickly set up a community in case anybody wants to signup and join.

http://deckbox.org/communities/neogaf

It's pretty barebones but I could get a subforum set up for trading if there's interest. Just toss me a pm with your deckbox username when you sign up and I'll toss an invite.

Don't want to step on anybody's toes but what about deckbox.org? I've used it for over a year and it's really convenient for both managing collections and trading. Quickly set up a community in case anybody wants to signup and join.

It's pretty barebones but I could get a subforum set up for trading if there's interest. Just toss me a pm with your deckbox username when you sign up and I'll toss an invite.

That sounds way better loool. Use this instead!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

o ya this

Anyone want to help me put together a Gruul-ish deck? I'm just working with whatever cards I have, but here's what I got so far:

Creatures
Experiment One x2
Wasteland Viper x1
Flinthoof Boar x2
Timberpack Wolf x4
Strangleroot Geist x1
Lightning Mauler x1
Skaarg Guildmage x2
Burning Tree Emissary x1
Feral Ridgewolf x1
Kruin Outlaw x1
Immerwolf x2
Rubblehulk x2

Spells
Mugging x2
Gruul Charm x2
Wild Hunger x2
Clan Defiance x1

Lands
Kessig Wolf Run x1
Gruul Guildgate x4

Thats what I have so far, and here is what else I'm considering (any stuff above that is really not worth it I'm willing to switch out)

Slaughterhorn x4
Zhur-Taa Swine x4
Pyreheart Wolf x1
Viashino Shanktail x1
Dragon Hatchling x1
Kruin Striker x2
Furnace Whelp x1
Bladetusk Boar x2
Orchard Spirit x2
Crocanura x4
Rust Scarab x1
Howlgeist x2

Pillar of Flame x2
Brimstone Volley x1
Burst of Strength x4
Prey Upon x4
Frenzied Tilling x1

Let me know what you guys think!

Anyone want to help me put together a Gruul-ish deck? I'm just working with whatever cards I have, but here's what I got so far:

Creatures
Experiment One x2
Wasteland Viper x1
Flinthoof Boar x2
Timberpack Wolf x4
Strangleroot Geist x1
Lightning Mauler x1
Skaarg Guildmage x2
Burning Tree Emissary x1
Feral Ridgewolf x1
Kruin Outlaw x1
Immerwolf x2
Rubblehulk x2

Spells
Mugging x2
Gruul Charm x2
Wild Hunger x2
Clan Defiance x1

Lands
Kessig Wolf Run x1
Gruul Guildgate x4

Thats what I have so far, and here is what else I'm considering (any stuff above that is really not worth it I'm willing to switch out)

Slaughterhorn x4
Zhur-Taa Swine x4
Pyreheart Wolf x1
Viashino Shanktail x1
Dragon Hatchling x1
Kruin Striker x2
Furnace Whelp x1
Bladetusk Boar x2
Orchard Spirit x2
Crocanura x4
Rust Scarab x1
Howlgeist x2

Pillar of Flame x2
Brimstone Volley x1
Burst of Strength x4
Prey Upon x4
Frenzied Tilling x1

Let me know what you guys think!

A really awesome thing that Gruul can do is on turn 2 vomit a whole bunch of burning tree emissaries. 4 of them would be great along with more flinthoof boars since they're 3/3 for 2 mana most of the time.

Regarding the guildgates I'm not sure if their manafixing is worth the tempo loss. You really want to be playing your stuff fast, and guildgates always slow you down by a turn.

You should definitely consider putting those burn spells in. When your creatures run into a wall you'll need the burn spells to nudge your opponent down to 0. Also, burn spells clear a path for your creatures.

Thanks,

Yeah I'm looking for more Burning Tree Emissaries, I think two of my friends each have one so I'm going to see if I can trade them. I also REALLY wish I had some Ghor Clan Rampagers but neither myself nor any of my friends happens to have any...

Hero

Well it's not like this create-a-card is going to be close to any of those either.

Probably not broken but I'd settle for extremely good. Crucible of Worlds is an incredibly good card that came from YMTC.

Only the first 2 can be considered broken. Sneak Attack is easily better than the others.

I agree. In a vacuum, I believe this to be stronger than Dream Halls and Omni.

Not sure about moat though

Have you guys played against a proper Dream Halls deck? I mean if it resolves it's pretty much game over. Sneak Attack is very good and definitely too good for what it costs by today's standards but it doesn't flat out win you game when cast.

rCIZZLE

Have you guys played against a proper Dream Halls deck? I mean if it resolves it's pretty much game over. Sneak Attack is very good and definitely too good for what it costs by today's standards but it doesn't flat out win you game when cast.

True it's powerful but by itself it's a 3 card combo, at least, whereas sneak attack is 2 card. Dream Halls is also a 5 drop which can be a long time to cast considering only 1 sol land can accelerate into it.

Top Bottom