• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

MiicD

Banned
Don't want to step on anybody's toes but what about deckbox.org? I've used it for over a year and it's really convenient for both managing collections and trading. Quickly set up a community in case anybody wants to signup and join.

http://deckbox.org/communities/neogaf

It's pretty barebones but I could get a subforum set up for trading if there's interest. Just toss me a pm with your deckbox username when you sign up and I'll toss an invite.

Yeaaa Ill PM you tomorrow most likely when I get to my homebase computer! Stoked to trade it up.

An-Det

Let's just remake Pernicious Deed somehow.

So vote Black I guess?

I do wish they had gold as an option. Something like have that be one week, then the second week choose colors and have the top 2 voted be the colors of the card. Seems a missed opportunity.

kirblar

This card is for the block after Theros, meaning it's going to be moving away from Gold. (Innistrad transitioned in, Theros will transition out.)

Wynnebeck

Banned
So I'm running an Orzhov deck centered around Obzedat. What are some good 1-2 drop Sorceries or Instants I can buy to prevent scrubs from ruining my Extort fun?

Wynnebeck

Banned
The creature kill mode is the one you want to take a look at.

Choose one - Return target creature you control and all Auras you control attached to it to their owner's hand; or destroy target creature and you lose life equal to its toughness; or return target creature card with converted mana cost 1 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield.

You mean that? Eh, the kill mode is good but I'm not trying to lose life especially if I'm dealing with a badass creature. Granted, Extort would get me life back any how, it still makes me a little uneasy. Why isn't there a Black/White version of Spell Rupture? :(

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
You mean that? Eh, the kill mode is good but I'm not trying to lose life especially if I'm dealing with a badass creature. Granted, Extort would get me life back any how, it still makes me a little uneasy. Why isn't there a Black/White version of Spell Rupture? :(

Charm is good because there is very little removal right now. So, they'll not really expect it and it kills even the worst fatty for 2 mana

OnPoint

Bought a fat pack of Gatecrash today because I wanted a cool colored die. Ended up with a black/white one again. Great. But it was not all terrible, as I got a Sacred Foundry in one pack, and a foil Domri Rade in a pack with Obzedat in another. Why do packs like that exist? Everything else was crap, but I really have no room to complain.

I'm really looking forward to the Dragon's Maze spoilers, but I'm so disappointed in the mythic land. I'm going to end up with a playset I don't want, I can just feel it. Hopefully some of the champions make good EDH generals. It would be nice to get some new creative decks in my box.

WanderingWind

Screenshot of my latest draft. Still waiting on others to finish building, because they're idiots.
YkNA4iBl.jpg

EDIT: Lost again.

Also, Modern Masters allocations are out. Stores are barely getting enough to draft with. No packs to be sold.

bigkrev

Also, Modern Masters allocations are out. Stores are barely getting enough to draft with. No packs to be sold.

My 2 local stores-

The small store (biggest magic event ever held was 19 people) is getting 4 cases

The larger store is getting 6 cases.

My guess is that large stores are gonna get screwed, but smaller places will have it.

kirblar

They believe this is going to be allocated in waves. This is going to be ugly though- there's just not going to be enough supply.

rCIZZLE

Well, I want to at least draft this so if my LGS owner gets a few cases and either marks them up a lot, hoards them, or flips them on ebay then he'll be looking for some new regulars. Wizards should just take the print run from an average core set and make that the limit... these cards aren't on the reserved list so there's nobody who should feel betrayed. Besides, they gave MONTHS of people knowing goyf would be in MM and the prices have only risen over that time. People had their chance to sell.

Hero

True it's powerful but by itself it's a 3 card combo, at least, whereas sneak attack is 2 card. Dream Halls is also a 5 drop which can be a long time to cast considering only 1 sol land can accelerate into it.

Dream Halls is also symmetrical, which can be a big problem.

Show and Tell is also symmetrical but it doesn't really matter when most decks aren't going to drop Emrakul or Griselbrand into to play with it.

My 2 local stores-

The small store (biggest magic event ever held was 19 people) is getting 4 cases

The larger store is getting 6 cases.

My guess is that large stores are gonna get screwed, but smaller places will have it.

Yeah my local store is only getting 3 cases. I'm getting a box though. Wish I could get more but it was a 1 box maximum.

From my understanding MM is there to help grow the modern format, and expand availability of older hard to find cards. So why the cautious approach? Are Wizards really that afraid of unsettling the status quo?

WanderingWind

From my understanding MM is there to help grow the modern format, and expand availability of older hard to find cards. So why the cautious approach? Are Wizards really that afraid of unsettling the status quo?

Yes. Yes they are. They don't know how to handle the level if success they have because in the past the game has been cyclical in its popularity. This time, it'll be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

ultron87

I wish they would put out enough of Modern Masters that stores could have Prerelease style events for it. That'd be a great way to get people at least interested in the idea of Modern in a not super competitive setting. And I really want to play Modern Masters sealed and can't get to Vegas for that GP.

I'm a former Magic player that hasn't played much since the Urza block.

How is MTGO now? I remember reading about it near launch and it seemed like a clusterfuck. I have no interest in physical cards anymore, and while I like the games on Steam, I'd like to build a real deck.

f0rk

I'm a former Magic player that hasn't played much since the Urza block.

How is MTGO now? I remember reading about it near launch and it seemed like a clusterfuck. I have no interest in physical cards anymore, and while I like the games on Steam, I'd like to build a real deck.

It's just like playing paper but online with better organized events and the same cost (roughly)

True it's powerful but by itself it's a 3 card combo, at least, whereas sneak attack is 2 card. Dream Halls is also a 5 drop which can be a long time to cast considering only 1 sol land can accelerate into it.

It would be near impossible for someone to land a dream halls against the standard RUG deck in legacy (which I've been playing for over a year)

I would imagine that deck has a terrible matchup against RUG.

I think you really have to look at the current metagame and how viable a particular build can be. I don't see dream halls having an impact in legacy for a very long time

It's just like playing paper but online with better organized events and the same cost (roughly)

I just created an account... OH GOD WHAT DID I START?

How long do I have to wait for activation? The little thingy has been spinning for 20 minutes and the client won't let me log in yet.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

How long do I have to wait for activation? The little thingy has been spinning for 20 minutes and the client won't let me log in yet.

It was pretty much instantaneous when I did it a year ago, but lately the MTGO servers have been really sluggish so who knows.

ultron87

Make you sure you play a few games in the New Player Room with the "Planeswalker" cards they give you just to get used to the interface before you start playing for anything that costs tickets. There's some weird quirks you need to get used to. Also look up the hotkeys. Super useful.

It was pretty much instantaneous when I did it a year ago, but lately the MTGO servers have been really sluggish so who knows.

Make you sure you play a few games in the New Player Room with the "Planeswalker" cards they give you just to get used to the interface before you start playing for anything that costs tickets. There's some weird quirks you need to get used to. Also look up the hotkeys. Super useful.

Thanks guys, will do. Apparently the new user registration went down right after I registered. Guess I'll have to wait for that to go back up. Bastards!

OnPoint

Please be careful with F6. I've fucked myself out of wins because I too quickly auto yielded or yielded my own turn away

Sinatar

Please be careful with F6. I've fucked myself out of wins because I too quickly auto yielded or yielded my own turn away

Yea F6 can be dangerous. Just as a helpful FYI, F3 will cancel an F6 and return priority to you if you hit it fast enough.

It makes sense limiting the run on MM. They don't want to kill the current prices/market of the cards they are reprinting.

Can you imagine if Tarmogoyf went back down to $30-$40? There would be lines of pissed off players.

kirblar

It makes sense limiting the run on MM. They don't want to kill the current prices/market of the cards they are reprinting.

Can you imagine if Tarmogoyf went back down to $30-$40? There would be lines of pissed off players.
They needed to just ban that stupid card before the format went live.

Sinatar

There would be a vocal minority of pissed of collectors who sit on their cards hoping to make money off of them in some distant nebulous future.

There would be 10's if not hundreds of thousands of happy players who could then be able to get into Modern as a format. It would grow the game, grow their business and move magic in a positive direction.

Fuck the collectors.

That's just saying fuck people that have expensive cards.

Fuck the people that $35 Geists.

Fuck the people that have $35 Lilianas

Where, or rather, how can you draw a line?

Also, Tarmogoyf isn't nearly as unfair as a lot of the cards they banned in modern already

The issue I have is that for now, outside of boxes used by stores to draft, a lot of the remaining boxes will end up with huge mark up on Ebay or similar. Now I've no issue with people making profits on these boxes, they can do it by all means. However my issue is that this still leaves modern staples at high costs, rendering the format hard to get into cheaply, which diminishes interest, leaving the format roughly where it is today.

I just hope Wizards undertake continuous reprints of MM over the coming years, perhaps a new set of cards every 2 years.

Sinatar

Also, Tarmogoyf isn't nearly as unfair as a lot of the cards they banned in modern already

I have *plenty* of expensive cards and wouldn't give a singular fuck if they were reprinted and made readily availabe dropping their value to nil.

kirblar

You can hit Goyf under the "diversity" header.

The issue I have is that for now, outside of boxes used by stores to draft, a lot of the remaining boxes will end up with huge mark up on Ebay or similar. Now I've no issue with people making profits on these boxes, they can do it by all means. However my issue is that this still leaves modern staples at high costs, rendering the format hard to get into cheaply, which diminishes interest, leaving the format roughly where it is today.

I just hope Wizards undertake continuous reprints of MM over the coming years, perhaps a new set of cards every 2 years.

it would definitely bring the cost down some, but maybe not as far as people would like. it's not nearly as limited as the "from the vaults" that are impossible to get your hands on.

i agree that if they printed a ton, they would sell a ton, but think they are doing it in such a way as not to frustrate players that have stuck with the game for so long.

if all of your cards completely lost all of their value, it would give you little incentive to hold onto anything outside of a particular standard rotation block.

I have *plenty* of expensive cards and wouldn't give a singular fuck if they were reprinted and made readily availabe dropping their value to nil.

i fail to see the point you're making here. you are asking wizards to kill the collector's market just so you can have extra staples that you already own, as it would seem. this might sound enticing to you, but not all. they are trying to generate business without alienating any of their current player base.

the fact they are releasing something like MM is wizards throwing a bone to players that might not have played during the blocks that are being reprinted.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sinatar is saying he doesn't mind losing some value on his cards if it means a healthier and more accessible format.

The collectors would adapt ahead of the market and make a killing off the market shift. It's what collectors do.

Wizard's problem is that they have a lot of people high up who still remember Chronicles, which was really what started the reserve list nonsense in the first place. I was a heavy trader back in the day when that set was released, and yes I took a huge "hit" on some certain cards but even if I was a "stay put" collector the cards that were not reprinted (such as my BFF of all time, Mana Drain) in that set I still come out pretty far ahead, given that, for example, English drains were about $25-ish at the time in '96 and now command 5x that price.

The events from Chronicles would not happen in this day and age. Reallocation and price adjustment would happen fluidly due to internet information and the wider player base would ensure that even a reprint of a valuable card like Thoughtseize or Tarmogoyf at Mythic would still command top dollar even in a more widely available release.

WOTC is just really conservative on these matters. The problem is that their development-to-market time is very long, so once they get feedback from this set it'll still 18-24 months before they tweak the formula again.

I don't like Modern that much but there's no reason not to have $40-$50 goyfs. That's like what they were at in 2010-2011 anyway. Why would it be so bad now?

If you want to "collect" MTG and not fear reprints or downward price pressure, um, that's what the reserve list is for doofus. Blue dual lands, Lion's Eye Diamonds, any good condition piece of power, beautiful condition semi-staples like Bazzars, Workshops, and older promo cards will never drop in price. Hell if you don't know what to collect just fill your binder with Jace, The Mind Sculptor. They will never reprint that card, ever, and everyone will want to have at least one of that card, always. Do the math.

edit: tarmogoyf exists in modern because he puts a huge clock fast on people that don't incorporate board control into their decks,i.e. most combo decks. You can cry diversity all you want, but Tarmogoyf is there to fight the fair fight.

edit 2:

if all of your cards completely lost all of their value, it would give you little incentive to hold onto anything outside of a particular standard rotation block.

the cards with the most value do pretty powerful things. You wouldn't print them at anything but rare or more likely mythic anyway. Even in a set with as wide release as a 3rd set in a block, you wouldn't satiate the market for the most valuable cards. Prices would find a solid floor as new people would want a full set of thoughtseizess, three cliques, goyfs, and the like, and then begin to monotonically increase over time like all over in-demand cards.

Sinatar is saying he doesn't mind losing some value on his cards if it means a healthier and more accessible format.

I don't mind losing some value on my cards as well, and I think most don't. He's suggesting killing the market on these old "staples", to which I disagree.

I agree with pretty much everything Fragamemnon said

Sinatar

Yea exactly this.

The collectors would adapt ahead of the market and make a killing off the market shift. It's what collectors do.

Wizard's problem is that they have a lot of people high up who still remember Chronicles, which was really what started the reserve list nonsense in the first place. I was a heavy trader back in the day when that set was released, and yes I took a huge "hit" on some certain cards but even if I was a "stay put" collector the cards that were not reprinted (such as my BFF of all time, Mana Drain) in that set I still come out pretty far ahead, given that, for example, English drains were about $25-ish at the time in '96 and now command 5x that price.

The events from Chronicles would not happen in this day and age. Reallocation and price adjustment would happen fluidly due to internet information and the wider player base would ensure that even a reprint of a valuable card like Thoughtseize or Tarmogoyf at Mythic would still command top dollar even in a more widely available release.

WOTC is just really conservative on these matters. The problem is that their development-to-market time is very long, so once they get feedback from this set it'll still 18-24 months before they tweak the formula again.

I don't like Modern that much but there's no reason not to have $40-$50 goyfs. That's like what they were at in 2010-2011 anyway. Why would it be so bad now?

If you want to "collect" MTG and not fear reprints or downward price pressure, um, that's what the reserve list is for doofus. Blue dual lands, Lion's Eye Diamonds, any good condition piece of power, beautiful condition semi-staples like Bazzars, Workshops, and older promo cards will never drop in price.

edit: tarmogoyf exists in modern because he puts a huge clock fast on people that don't incorporate board control into their decks,i.e. most combo decks. You can cry diversity all you want, but Tarmogoyf is there to fight the fair fight.

Also agree with all of this.

Does Legacy on MTGO fire regularly nowadays? It never reliably did, not even in the 2-mans , back when I was into it a few years ago. I'd love to play a 4-round event once or twice a week in the format and due to lifestyle issues can't really make my local legacy events like I used to (I barely play paper MTG anymore).

Also, as an aside I played Legacy Jund in real life last week and wanted to kill myself by round four the deck was so boring to play. I get that it's a good deck but as a man who loves his non-blue midrange decks, this is easily the least fun of that archetype to pilot. killing people with colossal knight of the reliquaries, zenith for primeval titan, or with seismic assault are much more entertaining, if far less effective, options.

Top Bottom