• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Forgot Riot control. I have a playset and it works better for this than Safe Passage does (since I only care about one creature in this deck's survival).

Boundless Realms. Worth it?

Maybe as a one of, depends how many basic lands you plan to run (hopefully not a ton in a 3 - 4 colour deck).

So everyone reports their pack pulls as just rainfall of Rals and Voices... I opened two boxes and not a single copy of either card. I think I did not pull a Master of Cruelties, either.

What I DID pull was 3 progenitor mimics, 2 Savageborn Hydra, 3 Deadbridge Chants, 2 Reap Intellects, 1 Legion's Initiave, 1 Council of the Absolute, and 1 Baron.

This is why I hate busting packs. Everyone else can get the multiple Ral's and such, but I'm usually stuck with the stinkers. Did you at least get some shocklands?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
P1P1 - Progenitor Mimic.

Maybe a good draft for a change????

JF0UbNUl.jpg

SupaNaab

I called around for the Dragon's Maze event deck but no one has it atm. Sounds like it's best to wait for the next core set. Ty all.

I'd be wary about this - it is a good game, but is generally a lot less popular than Magic. The best part of playing card games like MTG and Netrunner is facing a variety of different opponents, so unless Netrunner is also popular where you live, Magic will be more fun in the long run.

Can't say I'm aware of a "scene" for netrunner in the area (though Im sure they are around). I might opt for Pandemic instead since the family can get in on that one much easier.

This is why I hate busting packs. Everyone else can get the multiple Ral's and such, but I'm usually stuck with the stinkers. Did you at least get some shocklands?

Three. Godless Shrine, Watery Grave, Hallowed Fountain.

I've got a good set of rares, though. Doubles of almost every one I pulled. I think notables I have singles of are Aetherling, Notion Thief, Plasm Capture, and Gaze of Granite. I think I have 6 Teysas.

I really want to put out a solid GWB showing. I need at minimum 2 Voices for it, though. I want that, Deadbridge Chants, and just tons of scavenge blockers. I was thinking Gift of Orzhova for some workarounds and maybe throw Vraskas in the mix. I haven't even sat down to look at the deck in a serious way yet because of my lack of Voices. It'd probably be a larger-than-60 deck so I can withstand having 2 Deadbridge chants out. Getting two on the board is just a flood of creatures.

Jarate

Banned
I do not like the deck im running in my draft :| any suggestions of what I should replace?

This is my first time drafting Dragons maze btw, is there anything that I should look out for
EDIT: sorry for the bad upload

rCIZZLE

Buddy of mine got a Korean box of DGM on the cheap and opened it tonight. Got 2 shocks (one of which I traded for), Ral, Voice, Baron, and some other decent money cards like the wurm instant and skylasher. The foil rare was garbage as expected. Still have no idea about how to price korean cards since ebay completed listings are all over the place and no reputable retailers carry them. Usually isn't a problem if you have 1 card but pricing a whole boxes worth will be a pain for him.

I think it's demand. Long term players in my area have already scooped up all of the boxes of MM in my area. And it is a large disributor also capitalizing on the demand with near-100% inflation.

kirblar

I think it's demand. Long term players in my area have already scooped up all of the boxes of MM in my area. And it is a large disributor also capitalizing on the demand with near-100% inflation.
I'm just waiting to snipe Goyfs since I have just about every other Modern staple, lol.

(Then, on to Legacy. Duals are going to be such a pain.)

f0rk

Aren't SCG the type to open a load themselves? And as a business considering we don't know much about what's in the set it's less risky to start overpriced than under.

kirblar

Aren't SCG the type to open a load themselves? And as a business considering we don't know much about what's in the set it's less risky to start overpriced than under.
I was shocked they sold boxes themselves, frankly. But they're clearly overpriced at what SCG's selling them at- there are just a lot of people who don't know better.

An-Det

Modern Masters pre-ordes went up today at Starcity. $300. I choked a little bit.

Jesus that's insane. Hell, I could have sworn they sent out an email a few days ago saying they were preordering for $225 and I thought that was nuts.

I'm just waiting to snipe Goyfs since I have just about every other Modern staple, lol.

(Then, on to Legacy. Duals are going to be such a pain.)

One of us!

Wichu

So apparently Scavenging Ooze will be in M14 as a mythic. What does this mean for its price? I'd expect it to go up, seeing as it will be standard legal.

I still have my Commander one.

WanderingWind

So apparently Scavenging Ooze will be in M14 as a mythic. What does this mean for its price? I'd expect it to go up, seeing as it will be standard legal.

Oh, nice. I think the price will go down a bit. It's not even used that much anymore that I see, but it's a pretty rare card ATM.

Wichu

Oh, and being in a core set, it will also be Modern-legal, and thus an excellent Tarmogoyf counter.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it's a DotP promo, so it'll be relatively easy to get... I'm still expecting it to increase in price later even if it drops short-term, due to Modern.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
LOL @ SCG $300.

I was lucky to be the first to pre-order at my comic store (only $150) and my LGS is going to start taking pre-orders tomorrow.

Set seems like pure hype. Going to skip out on tomorrow's preorders and just stick with 1 box.

I think his original price spike was due to rarity + secret tech against Tarmo.

OnPoint

Yeah I think it drops a ton. Availability is the big deal with that guy IMO

WanderingWind

There is no winners here...heh. People who want to draft it will maybe get a spot, at an inflated price. People who want to buy singles are going to find there is no price change from what they can buy now. Stores will not be getting enough product to turn it into anything more than a one time bump, while pissing plenty of people off. And people who want to crack packs won't be able to, or will have to pay 10+ bucks for each one.

The best thing WotC can do is announce MM2 ASAP.

f0rk

I don't see how it's that bad. It's better than if they didn't do the set at all which considering it's the first time they didn't have to.
It will be interesting to see how they price the Vegas GP

Luckily, my LGS isn't selling ANY boxes of MM. It's going to be purely drafted through the month of June for $20.

That's just poor business by the store they should draft at least at rrp

What?!? Where is this store? I would love some $20 draft, my LGS is drafting at $30 and they aren't paying out with MM just your choice of packs from the RtR GtC DM block.

You can't really do prize support from MM boosters as you'd have to open a new box. $30 seems pretty fair to me.

Also to expand on the Scavenging Ooze rumour it will apparently be the DotP promo card

Luckily, my LGS isn't selling ANY boxes of MM. It's going to be purely drafted through the month of June for $20.

What?!? Where is this store? I would love some $20 draft, my LGS is drafting at $30 and they aren't paying out with MM just your choice of packs from the RtR GtC DM block.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Co-worker and I were set to fly to Vegas for the MM Grand Prix but after discussing it yesterday we realized it would be a huge waste of money.

Still 50/50 on going though.

An-Det

That's awesome. Love the card, even if it was made kinda irrelevant after DRS was printed and spread everywhere.

kirblar

You really think they'll ban it in modern?
It's a big problem. It's causing this abundance of "4c Good Stuff" decks because their mana is now incredible. There was a game on Camera where the card pretty much singlehandedly won a Jundk player his games due to its damage and mana-fixing abilities (getting him out of Blood Moon.)

WanderingWind

It's a big problem. It's causing this abundance of "4c Good Stuff" decks because their mana is now incredible. There was a game on Camera where the card pretty much singlehandedly won a Jundk player his games due to its damage and mana-fixing abilities (getting him out of Blood Moon.)

Yeah, but I've seen just as many where it's basically just sat there doing jack squat for long periods of time. I still contend that while it's powerful, it's nowhere near banworthy. It's just so easy to get rid of and while it's a great enabler, it takes a very extraordinary set of circumstances for it to win the game for you. It's a great card, no doubt. But banworthy? I just don't see it.

kirblar

Yeah, but I've seen just as many where it's basically just sat there doing jack squat for long periods of time. I still contend that while it's powerful, it's nowhere near banworthy. It's just so easy to get rid of and while it's a great enabler, it takes a very extraordinary set of circumstances for it to win the game for you. It's a great card, no doubt. But banworthy? I just don't see it.
The problem is that it's the same issue GSZ had. (Early game Mana Dork, late game Threat.)

The 2 damage on the Black ability was a major mistake, as was likely the G/B hybrid cost.

I mean, as U/W control, playing against Jund (pre-BBE ban), you just snap-path'd it during their upkeep T1 if possible. That's not a good sign.

WanderingWind

...which is the type of cards that are usually banned.

Sure. But only if they're part of some degenerate deck or play style. It's definitely the best 1 drop in those colors, but that's not a crime and it's not oppressive. Nobody is saying it's not a great card, mind you, but I just don't see why it would need banning.

kirblar

Sure. But only if they're part of some degenerate deck or play style. It's definitely the best 1 drop in those colors, but that's not a crime and it's not oppressive. Nobody is saying it's not a great card, mind you, but I just don't see why it would need banning.
Reliable T2 Lili is...not the healthiest of things to have in a format. :p

WanderingWind

Reliable T2 Lili is...not the healthiest of things to have in a format. :p

Well, you could just bolt it. Like what just happend! It's easy to get rid of - I just don't know if they're going to start banning great, but not broken cards. That would really help the format, considering people think they're already ban happy as is.

kirblar

Well, you could just bolt it. Like what just happend! It's easy to get rid of - I just don't know if they're going to start banning great, but not broken cards. That would really help the format, considering people think they're already ban happy as is.
That's just it- it's basically just Bolt and Path that deal with it T1, and you need an untapped source. Sunlance has seen play because of the need to just kill it on sight.

WanderingWind

That's just it- it's basically just Bolt and Path that deal with it T1, and you need an untapped source. Sunlance has seen play because of the need to just kill it on sight.

Sounds pretty interactive to me! The card is new and there is time, if they really view it as such, to print more solutions. But even now, watching the stream, it basically did absolutely nothing. Hierarch is though...

kirblar

Sounds pretty interactive to me! The card is new and there is time, if they really view it as such, to print more solutions. But even now, watching the stream, it basically did absolutely nothing. Hierarch is though...
It's interactive, but its not really healthy. It's much like the "Don't let them untap with Bitterblossom/Stoneforge!" thing.

WanderingWind

It's interactive, but its not really healthy. It's much like the "Don't let them untap with Bitterblossom/Stoneforge!" thing.

Well, I think Bitterblossom is totally unbannable, too. :p

No comment on Stoneforge tho. That card is definitely banned for a reason. Tutoring plus nearly free casting? Who thought that was a good idea?

Negator

Scavenging Ooze is the stone cold nuts. I read it like 5 times and it somehow managed to get better every time.

Wait, you can just do it immediately?
Wait, it's instant speed?
Wait, it doesn't have to target a creature?
Wait, it gains life!?

What an incredible card! I'm definitely going to secure 4 of them when M14 goes live.

kirblar

Scavenging Ooze is the stone cold nuts. I read it like 5 times and it somehow managed to get better every time.

Wait, you can just do it immediately?
Wait, it's instant speed?
Wait, it doesn't have to target a creature?
Wait, it gains life!?

What an incredible card! I'm definitely going to secure 4 of them when M14 goes live.
Every new piece of "big" information makes me think Keru's source was legit on the Fetchlands.

Well, I think Bitterblossom is totally unbannable, too. :p
It is. Just not now. When things are more stable.

MedIC86

Anyone has an idea how modern masters will be distributed? will most local stores/online retailers get it or is it very limited?

kirblar

Anyone has an idea how modern masters will be distributed? will most local stores/online retailers get it or is it very limited?
Most stores are getting 18 from WotC (or less if they're not a "top" store.) Rest come from distributors, which is why so much is in the dark re: the print run.

Interesting. This was originally printed in the Commander precons, right? A card that can fight on something of the same axis as Tarmogoyf (being huge for very low CC) while also being something of a 'Goyf hoser. It'll be interesting to see if this does anything in Modern.

That game was gross. I felt terrible seeing that happen.

And I'm starting to agree that DRS should be banned; to be honest, I think it should have been banned instead of Bloodbraid Elf. The BBE ban did diversify the Rock decks, but the shell of those decks remained intact. Deathrite Shama into Liliana of the Veil is still the most powerful thing you can be doing in Modern right now.

The question is whether or not it's good for the format to hit it with another ban...

f0rk

Interesting. This was originally printed in the Commander precons, right? A card that can fight on something of the same axis as Tarmogoyf (being huge for very low CC) while also being something of a 'Goyf hoser. It'll be interesting to see if this does anything in Modern.

It should do considering it is played in Legacy.
I hope they get the cantrip 1/1 bird in there as well give Dimir a playable card for once

Top Bottom