• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

Looking through the comic that Firemind linked, here are the ones I liked.

Is the comic still going, or did it stop at Dragon's Maze?
Last one is dated August 2014.

page_051b.jpg

Sorin x Nissa OTP

The fat packs have 80 of them in it. Don't listen to anyone that tries to tell you they're limited supply, they have basically unlimited of them at Target, Walmart, etc.

Yeah, they were always easy to find at walmart or target in the past. I have no need for these lands but it's not expensive for one fat pack.

Not yet. October 2nd is when BFZ will be available in stores.

Cool, I'm assuming this is the first for this set? I haven't been following at all.

You didn't miss anything, this is our first thread on OT*, though you did miss all the activity in the Community threads.

* besides the first discussion topic, which got moved to Community

Yeah, I participated in the Community one at one point of time. Haven't been there in a while. Good time to get back into the thread.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah, they were always easy to find at walmart or target in the past. I have no need for these lands but it's not expensive for one fat pack.

Cool, I'm assuming this is the first for this set? I haven't been following at all.

The second set has been announced as OATH OF THE GATEWATCH

It's basically Zendikari Power Rangers.

CNxGt2vU8AA_DkR.jpg
CNxGt9RUkAAIVfb.jpg

CNxGuCyUEAAIq-J.jpg
CNxGuJ6UsAA7z0m.jpg

kirblar

Why no Liliana in the pic? :p
Showing up in the next block. (Very good chance it's Fairy Tale World.)

edit: You know, if it is, I bet that's why they've hinted the male/female Demon/Angel thing may be relaxed, you can do a Malificent stand-in for one of Liliana's masters.

In for the new Thread, heres hoping BFZ doesn't suck Allywise. It might just get me to go back to WGR like I had been planning before Archangel of Communion hit.

My dumb bet for Oath that's tied to BFZ Somewhat: There will be a Cycle of either Rare or Uncommons ala the Sieges that are "Oath of X", with possibly some stupid style Mazes End card that says "If you control all 5 Oaths, Exile all Eldrazi in play" or something that's big on the whole Story push.

I'm already betting that one of the four will die
and it'll probably be Gideon

Nah, Gideon's not toast yet. I highly doubt they'd can him just after Origins, though He's still not the best White NeoWalker, though he's the only mono-based one they can use(Elspeth's "dead" and Ajani's busy being Theros' version of Richard Dawkins.)

Ajani>Elspeth>Sorin>Venser>Gideon.

Yeef

edit: You know, if it is, I bet that's why they've hinted the male/female Demon/Angel thing may be relaxed, you can do a Malificent stand-in for one of Liliana's masters.
They've already shown the other 2 demons in Magic Duels. Razaketh and Belzenlok.

Crocodile

When did they hint this? Either way, I never understood why Magic split these creatures types along these genders. Female Demons and Male Angels are all over every type of fantasy setting from like every corner of the world. Magic is the only place I know of where this strict gender dichotomy exists.

kirblar

They've already shown the other 2 demons in Magic Duels. Razaketh and Belzenlok.
Ah, ok.
When did they hint this? Either way, I never understood why Magic split these creatures types along these genders. Female Demons and Male Angels are all over every type of fantasy setting from like every corner of the world. Magic is the only place I know of where this strict gender dichotomy exists.
It was originally done because of male Angels being in the bible and Succubuses being omnipresent, but the issue is that doing it 100% that way then feeds straight into the "Girls are pure and virtuous/Boys are uncontrollable hellspawn" trope.

Yeef

It's just a style choice. The same way they differentiate the appearance of drakes and dragons (dragons have arms in addition to their wings, drakes don't).

Sorin x Nissa OTP

But Nissa is like the most short-sighted planeswalker in the group. Sorin's personality is like a baby version of Ugin. Very dispassionate long-term thinking and knowledge-focused. If anything he'd get along with Narset but it's doubtful they'd ever meet. He's definitely the sort of person to cockblock hobo Sarkhan, though.

Besides everybody knows he's got/had a thing for Nahiri.

It's just a style choice. The same way they differentiate the appearance of drakes and dragons (dragons have arms in addition to their wings, drakes don't).
Also, drakes are beasts whereas dragons are sentient, no?

Repping Temur (RUG) colors here, hoping we can survive. Elvish Mystic rotating out will force Temur to beef up into midrange aggro to survive.

They just killed a white Planeswalker, I don't think they'll make the next death white too. None of the four are likely to die, but if I had to choose one, I'd actually go with Jace--the latest Uncharted Realms had him constantly imagining himself dying.

There is a good chance that Liliana will die, though. I feel like the direction they're going with her story is that after Liliana kills the last demon she made a contract with, she is free, but then Garruk becomes fully corrupted by the Chain Veil curse that she passed on to him, thus becoming immune to the Chain Veil's attacks, and they both kill each other.

In story, Jace asked her to come along and help, but she couldn't give less of a crap about helping others for no personal gain, and went off to track down one of her demon masters to kill him. Her absence from this block, despite her focus in Magic Origins, leads many to believe that she will be the focus of the next block.

Hackworth

I'm rebuilding the Eldrazi deck from Zendikar vs Eldrazi as a casual green/white deck (for acceleration and early-game tokens), and I just realized that Tragic Arrogance and It That Betrays work hilariously together.

I don't even have anything to add, I'm just smug.

@sigma: interesting points. I'm mainly saying I expect Gid to die because he's one of my favorites (as was Elspeth) but I'm less bothered about Jace.
He is growing on me a little tho.
Still, more space for Tamiyo if he gets rekt I guess.

I'm not much of a fan of most of the cards spoiled so far. I need some sweet new G/W efficient creatures for my G/W morph and value deck. I am going to miss Fleecemane and Ajani!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If anyone in OT missed it the last block was basically just Sarkhan Vol doing random shit on his home plane (with timey-wimey hijinks for bonus) for no reason that happened to result in Ugin the Spirit Dragon getting revived, who has a role in Zendikar since the Eldrazi were sealed at the Eye of Ugin. Ugin doesn't have a card in Battle for Zendikar, but he's a legal card.

Image.ashx

Jhriad

So I started playing magic last year, around m15 - one year anniversary coming up yay! Got into it after destiny put a sour taste in my mouth and needed a break from vg's. Can't believe it took me so long to get into it, especially with a heavy background in fighters and a crew of friends who have been playing since alpha and beta. I love this shit. So excited for bfz, its my understandimg zendikar is an iconic set. Im baaically just playing standard aside from a couple decks and I look forward to all this landfall and eldrazi goodness.

Hope we get goblin guide.....

Yeah, I missed out on the original Zendikar blocks as well so I'm looking forward to seeing Eldrazi in action.

Nice to see the MTG thread let out of the cage for a little while.

It's really nice to see all the new faces in the thread so far. We'll be moving back to Community a little while after the set releases so make sure to subscribe to the thread.

Liliana's story has her going elsewhere but we don't know where just yet. Two of the more recent Uncharted Realms articles go into the recent storyline developments involving Liliana.

Catching Up
Unkindness of Ravens

Leunam

This is the set I've been waiting for. Most of my friends are getting back into this and have convinced a few others to learn how to play as well.

hoggert

The second set has been announced as OATH OF THE GATEWATCH

It's basically Zendikari Power Rangers.
Haha, fucking dying. Nissa's redesign is nice, I hated the one used for the first Duels game. I preferred Jace with a hood, but a friend told me its been that way for a while now (and was pure anime hair for a while what.)
It's really nice to see all the new faces in the thread so far. We'll be moving back to Community a little while after the set releases so make sure to subscribe to the thread.
Yeah, I subbed for the card spoilers since I love the Zendikar lore (tribal vampires + elder god esque bullshit oh my.) My gf has also been watching that G&S series and wants to get into ccgs and tabletop but $$$

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, I subbed for the card spoilers since I love the Zendikar lore (tribal vampires + elder god esque bullshit oh my.) My gf has also been watching that G&S series and wants to get into ccgs and tabletop but $$$

That's what stuff like drafting and casual formats like Commander are for. I've played Magic for ten years now and never bothered spending all of the money for a "competitive" deck

Santiako

I haven't played MTG in about 10 years so there might have been a massive power creep since then, but this seems horribly overpowered holy shit:
en_dp9Gkfb1hF.png

Crocodile

I just feel its artificially limiting is all

Also, drakes are beasts whereas dragons are sentient, no?

Not all Dragons in Magic are sentient but I don't think any Drakes are.

I'm fine with Jace dying. Give us literally any other mono-U character who's more interesting

What time it it? Tamiyo time!

kirblar

I haven't played MTG in about 10 years so there might have been a massive power creep since then, but this seems horribly overpowered holy shit:
en_dp9Gkfb1hF.png
Their other recent Gideon attempt(s?) haven't gone well, they wanted him pushed and pushed hard.

Gid/Chandra getting mediocre cards in Origins likely means they'll be getting nutty stuff in this block.

The Technomancer

He's going to be very good, but he's not going to break the format or anything

There has been creep over the last decade to get creatures up to the same level as spells used to be, but its evened out for a few years now and they've got a pretty good handle on things

Santiako

Yeah, I just checked and I stopped playing with Dissension, in 2006 (that was even before Planeswalker cards were introduced). So the power creep seems real lol

kirblar

Look up Jace, the Mind Sculptor.

Then ask yourself how on earth it saw print.
Stu Somers ‏@ssomers55 4m4 minutes ago

I think people are not realizing that I think BFZ product will be super hard to get a hold of at different points this fall
This is something to be aware of- while long term prices for singles will be abnormally low, short term shortages and price spikes could very well happen due to people buying up product because of the ultra-rares

cory64

I'm thinking Jace will "die" for a few blocks (perhaps returning once we get to the Vryn block).

List of PW by # of main sets:

Jace: 10 (6 unique cards)
Chandra: 9 (5)
Ajani: 8 (5)
Garruk: 8 (5)
Liliana: 8 (4)
Gideon: 5 (4)
Sarkhan: 4 (4)
Sorin: 4 (3)
Elspeth: 3 (3)
Nissa: 3 (3)
Tezzeret: 2 (2)
Bolas: 2 (1)

All other playable PW have one appearance.

They just explained to us that every one of the Origins planeswalkers would be involved heavily in the plotline for multiple years to come, so... no.

What all have we worked out as likely upcoming blocks? Fairy tale world, New New Phyrexia, Kaladesh, Muraganda... Really curious how much of a streak we can get going.

This is something to be aware of- while long term prices for singles will be abnormally low, short term shortages and price spikes could very well happen due to people buying up product because of the ultra-rares

It's been long enough that the endless shortages of Zendikar are a distant memory now. It'll probably take a couple months to have completely open supply.

Kieli

I really like the art and setting for this one.

The creature designs are quite out there. Kinda like the difference between Torment: Tides of Numenera weird vs. Pillars of Eternity tried-n-true.

kirblar

Did they ever revisit Kamigawa? The sets were terrible but the concept and the art were awesome.
No. MaRo's said they'll just do a different Japanese world if they go back to that type of setting. (I'd rather see them fast-forward it into the future, but apparently they don't want to piss off people who expect stuff returning from the OG block.)

I assume this means something much more Anime than before (in themes, not art style.) Hi, Shinigami!

Santiako

No. MaRo's said they'll just do a different Japanese world if they go back to that type of setting. (I'd rather see them fast-forward it into the future, but apparently they don't want to piss off people who expect stuff returning from the OG block.)

I assume this means something much more Anime than before (in themes, not art style.) Hi, Shinigami!

Ah, that's a shame. I remember loving everything about Kamigawa (except the actual cards :p) The snake people, the moonfolk, the turtle goblins, the onis, the fox people and the hundred or so legends in each set. I do remember a weapon that was OP as shit though, Usomething Jitte.

The Technomancer

I really like the art and setting for this one.

The creature designs are quite out there. Kinda like the difference between Torment: Tides of Numenera weird vs. Pillars of Eternity tried-n-true.

I have some complaints about the art style in recent years, but when it comes to the actual content Magic has some of the best fantasy art conceptually period. Did you see any of the New Phyrexia stuff? They did straight up Giger body horror for that set

cory64

No. MaRo's said they'll just do a different Japanese world if they go back there. (I'd rather see them fast-forward it into the future, but apparently they don't want to piss off people who expect stuff returning from the OG block.)

There's tons of design space for a more pop-culture influenced Japanese plane, so I could definitely see it not feeling like a do-over. Mecha, kaiju, etc.

kirblar

I have some complaints about the art style in recent years, but when it comes to the actual content Magic has some of the best fantasy art conceptually period. Did you see any of the New Phyrexia stuff? They did straight up Giger body horror for that set
Origins was so noticeably and horribly off because of how good and consistent they have gotten in general.

Crocodile

What all have we worked out as likely upcoming blocks? Fairy tale world, New New Phyrexia, Kaladesh, Muraganda... Really curious how much of a streak we can get going.

What real hints have there been that Muraganda is on the table and coming anytime soon?

The Technomancer

I feel like I remember there being some very strong indication they were interested in revisiting Shandalar besides just as a video game setting, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom