• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I didn't know art could appear on playmats and such without the artist knowing. Maybe explains some of the sour looking reactions I've seen from artists signing non card merchandise. And the glee with which some of them will modify and deface their own art on request.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I didn't know art could appear on playmats and such without the artist knowing. Maybe explains some of the sour looking reactions I've seen from artists signing non card merchandise. And the glee with which some of them will modify and deface their own art on request.

Well any art can technically show up on a playmant since you can get custom ones made (a friend of mine has Martial Law from RTR on one because it was the first card he ever got excited about) so if I was an artist I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that a playmat was licensed, but yeah it sounds like it sucks on that front

siddx

For my "surprise I'm better than you thought card", I'm going with the new Omnath for the moment. I've always loved creatures that give opponents a lose lose as far as do they leave it on the board or kill it off. As always I'll probably be the only person playing with the damn thing but sometimes I manage to somehow be right.

The Technomancer

The next plane we're going back to is Innistrad.

I dunno if they've cracked Return to Innistrad yet. They were talking about how they kind of screwed themselves in AVR by like...defeating all of the bad shit. There are no more werewolves and other stuff people would expect.

Hero

I dunno if they've cracked Return to Innistrad yet. They were talking about how they kind of screwed themselves in AVR by like...defeating all of the bad shit. There are no more werewolves and other stuff people would expect.

Have Garruk become the new bad. Garruk is probably the next walker to die anyway.

I'm sad that MTG artists can't use their artwork on playmats because I totally would have gotten a Swan Song one.

I'm not a big fan of using pre-existing art for custom playmats. Doesn't sit well with me.

if I was an artist I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that a playmat was licensed
You would if it had logos plastered over the corners.

siddx

I wouldn't mind a return to homelands set, the plane hasn't been revisited and it had some interesting lore than could be expanded on.

Ulgrotha, whose name means "Garden", was a small backwater plane, far from Dominaria, sometimes called the "Homelands" by its inhabitants. Its mana lines were destroyed ages ago when Ravi rang the Apocalypse Chime, causing the Great Destruction and ending the Great War between the Tolgath and the Ancients.

Serra and Feroz tended this plane for some time as its guardians. Feroz, Serra's love, cast a magical barrier over the world to guard it from further despoil at the hands of wizards. Later Feroz died, and Serra left the plane in sadness. The countries of Ulgrotha then fell to inner conflict and Baron Sengir used this to tighten his grasp of fear over the plane.

Ulgrotha has at least one planar portal, which is located in the abandoned dwarven city under Castle Sengir. Where it leads is unknown, although we do know that Ulgrotha's dwarf population emigrated from beyond it.

The next plane we're going back to is Innistrad.

Innistrad was the first set of the seven-year plan so the absolute earliest we could return would be Barrel in Spring 2017. With the current story focus I don't think it's likely they'll wait until Soup in Spring 2018 to even get back to the Phyrexians, and I'm doubtful Rosewater put together a 7-year plan that didn't include checking back in on Magic's #1 villain.

I don't really see why they would return to Homelands.

They wouldn't. They've written about how they created Innistrad instead of revisiting Ulgrotha so they wouldn't have to deal with all its weird rough edges (like, why are there Oceanic Minotaurs again?) If they wanted to do something with Baron Sengir for some crazy reason they've already established a route off-world for him.

El Topo

They wouldn't. They've written about how they created Innistrad instead of revisiting Ulgrotha so they wouldn't have to deal with all its weird rough edges (like, why are there Oceanic Minotaurs again?) If they wanted to do something with Baron Sengir for some crazy reason they've already established a route off-world for him.

Right, there was some portal. Yeah, no need to return to that set then.

Ashodin

Shandalar seems ripe to flesh out even more, and Dominaria just needs more importance. It's the "home plane" so I could see the Eldrazi going for it.

Hero

Innistrad was the first set of the seven-year plan so the absolute earliest we could return would be Barrel in Spring 2017. With the current story focus I don't think it's likely they'll wait until Soup in Spring 2018 to even get back to the Phyrexians, and I'm doubtful Rosewater put together a 7-year plan that didn't include checking back in on Magic's #1 villain.

It will probably be released in the fall of 2017 like the original to coincide with Halloween. The success of Innistrad means that it's return probably got fast tracked.

Also I never said we wouldn't see the Phyrexians. I think they definitely show up sometime in the next year and a half. I just don't think we're going back to the plane just yet. It doesn't seem like it'd make much for a story because either the characters go back and defeat them, which doesn't seem likely, or the characters go back and lose, which doesn't really advance the narrative unless they want to kill off some more planeswalkers.

Toxi

Banned
They can easily undo AVR through various means. Hell, from a story point of view AVR is supposed to be undone because Avacyn was created to balance Innistrad so both humans and vampires had stable populations.

Matriox

Planar Outburst (?) 3WW
Sorcery (R)
Destroy all non-land creatures.
Awaken 4 - 5WWW

635771745377645108.jpg

Source

Being able to swing after a board wipe is pretty cool... But needing 9 mana for that is blech. Might be cool if the format really slows down though.

siddx

Speaking of homelands, my playgroup used to love to draft shitty sets. We did ice age, fallen empires, saviors of kamigawa, and wanted to do homelands but couldn't find a box for a reasonable price. It was interesting being forced to play with all those terrible cards and try to make the best out of them.

We also did a Urza's Legacy draft and were kinda surprised to find we enjoyed the ice age draft more.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Speaking of homelands, my playgroup used to love to draft shitty sets. We did ice age, fallen empires, saviors of kamigawa, and wanted to do homelands but couldn't find a box for a reasonable price. It was interesting being forced to play with all those terrible cards and try to make the best out of them.

We also did a Urza's Legacy draft and were kinda surprised to find we enjoyed the ice age draft more.

Christ, I can only imagine what a Fallen Empires draft would be like. There's maybe five good cards in the whole set. Hell, I remember back in 1996, the local card shop had already marked down packs of FE to like $1.50. Nobody wanted that shit. When a common is the most valuable card from the set, you know something's wrong. :lol

siddx

Christ, I can only imagine what a Fallen Empires draft would be like. There's maybe five good cards in the whole set. Hell, I remember back in 1996, the local card shop had already marked down packs of FE to like $1.50. Nobody wanted that shit. When a common is the most valuable card from the set, you know something's wrong. :lol

It wasnt too bad. I mean yeah the cards are garbage and from that perspective it was awful. But figuring out how to turn those crap cards into something usable was an entertaining exercise.

Firemind

It's better if they're all bad cards. One time my friends did a Revised Solomon draft. One of them flipped Fireball and a bunch of nonsense. He was not happy. :lol

Turns out Fireball just wins you games.

siddx

Yeah it was fun to see some cards that were useless in the larger scheme of the game suddenly become useful and fun to play with within the set.
Keeping that Ebon Praetor alive with thrulls was fun.
And trying to figure out banding. Considering how complicated the game has gotten since, it's hilarious how much banding confused us.

espher

For $5 more MSRP you can get Duel Decks which include two cardboard deck boxes, two 60 card decks, and a spindown life counter. You don't get the booster packs but there's typically better value in Duel Decks than the Intro Packs.

The newest Duel Deck just came out and is themed to the fit with the new block: Duel Decks: Zendikar vs Eldrazi.

I bought a couple of these (none recently, though), but actually for the last two years or so I've just been 'selling' the booster packs back to the store I buy from for their normal sale price, so the precons end up costing me like CAD$6.50. I can basically get three or four precons for the price of a Duel Deck atm. ;)

The duel decks are great but they're so heavily themed that, in my experience, they don't really hold up in FFA multi, which is usually what we play.

Firemind

You know. I wonder if we're going to see actual playable land destruction in BFZ considering Awaken is one of the mechanics. Probably not, but it's nice to dream sometimes.

Yeef

You know. I wonder if we're going to see actual playable land destruction in BFZ considering Awaken is one of the mechanics. Probably not, but it's nice to dream sometimes.
We'll probably see creature destruction with a rider if the creature is also a land.

"~ deals 4 damage to target creature. If that creature is a land, it also deals 3 damage to that creature's controller."

That sort of thing.

Matriox

We'll probably see creature destruction with a rider if the creature is also a land.

"~ deals 4 damage to target creature. If that creature is a land, it also deals 3 damage to that creature's controller."

That sort of thing.

This reminds me, a Dryad Arbor reprint would be sweet.

If we blow up tango lands, can we say "Tango Down"?

Jebusman

Banned
So I don't know how much it's discussed here, or at all, but I tend to be more intrigued by the value aspect of Magic versus actually playing it nowadays.

So I'm wondering what the general thoughts are about card value given the spoilers we've seen so far. I know it's hard to predict something like that, but I'm wondering what the general feeling is like given this is a shift to a new block format and schedule.

kirblar

So I don't know how much it's discussed here, or at all, but I tend to be more intrigued by the value aspect of Magic versus actually playing it nowadays.

So I'm wondering what the general thoughts are about card value given the spoilers we've seen so far. I know it's hard to predict something like that, but I'm wondering what the general feeling is like given this is a shift to a new block format and schedule.
The only thing you should be looking for here is a Hangarback Walker/Goyf- an absurdly undervalued card on Day 1 you can get super cheap.

Long term prices for this set will be abnormally low.

Firemind

All the value will be in the super duper special deluxe premium foil full art lands. Yours for only $1000 a playset!

That sort of thing.
That would be the lamest. MaRo pls

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This and Dominaria are both hard to spot since they're more generic than most Magic planes and without seeing where they go with it it's not easy to guess what their "hook" would be.

Shandalar seems a lot more generic these days than Dominaria is since Dominaria currently fulfills the role of "Post Apocalyptic World" I suppose.

Also, lol @

O9z7Del.png

The Technomancer

Hmm...that's not a bad body for Hexproof.

EDIT: The wording on bring to light is weird. Does exiling it mean that I can play it whenever I like after Bring to Light resolves?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
en_Yuxp4WpiVB.png

WIZARDS LEARNED NOTHING

en_Eh2kcthqFa.png

Awesome white removal in the house:

en_1eU3EcMxE9.png

Angry Grimace

I'm not even sure how you can kill Lumbering Falls if land destruction isn't in the set.

Wow...opposing color man lands is finally here!! Been waiting a while for these.

And....that Bring to Light...holy shit...so damn amazing in EDH.

Angry Grimace

You can also use Bring to Light to cast Living End.

Firemind

i'm willing to bet the R/W land has doublestrike, the B/G land deathtouch, W/B lifelink and U/R some nonsensical ability like menace or prowess since unblockable and flying are already taken.

The Technomancer

i'm willing to bet the R/W land has doublestrike, the B/G land deathtouch, W/B lifelink and U/R some nonsensical ability like menace or prowess since unblockable and flying are already taken.

I agree. Prowess-land could be interesting if costed aggressively, like RU for a 2/1, so it probably won't be

kirblar

Scythe Leopard is +1/+1.

The obnoxious critters in Zen 1 were +2/+2.

That Eldrazi fills me with dread, and not the appropriate kind.

Having someone make a sequel to a set who strongly dislikes the original may not have been a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom