• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The problem is that you have to have it "on" or "off. You can't go halfway, and it becomes useless text in most blocks that don't care about tribal.

I don't think that's as much of a problem: the reason they don't do it anymore is because its inconsistent with the first 12 or so years of the game. Having it be on is fine, since outside of non-tribal blocks you're only going to have a handful of flavored tribal cards every set anyway. I mean Tarkir would have what, like four Tribal Goblin cards?

Its not in the text box and it mostly goes on card types that don't normally have other subtypes, so text room isn't really an issue

The problem is that you have to have it "on" or "off. You can't go halfway, and it becomes useless text in most blocks that don't care about tribal.

Well this is why I liked the proposed solution of using it solely and exclusively for the eldrazi.

You're assuming that the correct move is to always hold up six mana. It won't be. You'll probably cast this for three mana most of the time.

Yeah I don't get how it can be 2015 and people still think you need to hold off to cast Kicker spells for the full value.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That's why its not that good though, the correct move is almost never to hold up six mana.

blightedcataract.jpg

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
All these fancy lands. Shoulda reprinted Crucible! Can't believe it still hasn't been reprinted yet honestly.

Also Cancel counterspell is good. Thought that was obvious. 3 mana counterspells see play, this is that and at 6 a counter attached to a decent body.

I just learned a couple days ago I used to have a horizon canopy but wondered what this crappy card is for when I got it.

Now it's gone, god knows when I traded it and for what shitty value. I hate future sight me, he was dumb but also just 14 years old, on the other hand I was 17 when I got Jace Mind Sculptor and completely stunned when the people in my LGS practically fell over each other trying to trade it for what I think were like 20 rares and more than a couple mythics, among them a Foil Sarkhan. I'd take that trade back now.

Why can't I have my old luck back, now that I know better. Woe is me.

Violet_0

Banned
when I was much younger I basically got robbed, err, "traded" all my super-value cards. Seems like no one trades anymore these days, and I can imagine why

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If dissolve sees play this will see play

Draw-go control looks terrible and WOTC has never just hidden premium removal in the commons/unspoiled uncommons before. It will see play because some people will want to play control (e.g. Ivan Floch) but control in general just seems worse than it did before.

Yeef

Draw-go control looks terrible and WOTC has never just hidden premium removal in the commons/unspoiled uncommons before.
Abzan Charm was leaked 2 days before the full spoiler, but otherwise, it would have been part of the full spoiler dump. I vaguely recall some other highly playable cards not getting a 'proper' preview, too. I don't think Seeker of the Way ever got a preview, for example.

when I was much younger I basically got robbed, err, "traded" all my super-value cards. Seems like no one trades anymore these days, and I can imagine why

I think most of us were when we started out and there weren't even smartphones, don't know how it is now but for a long time many in the magic community felt like vultures.

Draw-go control looks terrible and WOTC has never just hidden premium removal in the commons/unspoiled uncommons before.

Isn't it the lack of an early threat like Ashiok that's gonna hurt more than hero's downfall moving from instant to sorcery speed? Not to mention Transgress The Mind is no Thoughtseize.

Angry Grimace

I think most of us were when we started out and there weren't even smartphones, don't know how it is now but for a long time many in the magic community felt like vultures.

Isn't it the lack of an early threat like Ashiok that's gonna hurt more than hero's downfall moving from instant to sorcery speed? Not to mention Transgress The Mind is no Thoughtseize.

I mean, I'm being overly harsh: you will be able to win games off a shell of "every counter spell plus some Stasis Snare/Silkwrap/etc." and "4 copies of 3WW sweeper of choice", but its going to have consistency problems with out Scrylands and Dissolve and without something like Elspeth. Ugin is 10 billion times worse if anything Devoid is viable. I guess you're just running Pearl Lake Ancient? I don't know. A deck that's already struggling against Hangarback Walker and such being generically worse doesn't sound too good to me.

Also, I like how the regular Stasis Snare art is just Eldrazi Disco Inferno

en_weuqcuVvnw.png

I mean, I'm being overly harsh: you will be able to win games off a shell of "every counter spell plus some Stasis Snare/Silkwrap/etc." and "4 copies of 3WW sweeper of choice", but its going to have consistency problems with out Scrylands and Dissolve and without something like Elspeth. Ugin is 10 billion times worse if anything Devoid is viable. I guess you're just running Pearl Lake Ancient? I don't know. A deck that's already struggling against Hangarback Walker and such being generically worse doesn't sound too good to me.

Yeah Esper Dragon got hurt, Ob Nixilis doesn't really protect himself that well but he does offer card draw and unconditional removal.

Ugin will still do work though unless someone "figures" BfZ out we won't see too much devoid would be my guess.

ironmang

It's a hassle to trade anymore. Good that fewer people are getting scammed since everybody has a phone on them but "mtg finance" has taken over and people are afraid to trading anything and lose value later.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Yeah Esper Dragon got hurt, Ob Nixilis doesn't really protect himself that well but he does offer card draw and unconditional removal.

Ugin will still do work though unless someone "figures" BfZ out we won't see too much devoid would be my guess.

Think the cheap devoid creatures will see play just because of Ghostfire Blade (like Catacomb Sifter). I guess that counts?

Angry Grimace

WoodlandWanderer.jpg

Worth preordering at $4 a pop?

Not worth preordering literally anything at $4 outside of Planeswalkers, tbh.

Think the cheap devoid creatures will see play just because of Ghostfire Blade (like Catacomb Sifter). I guess that counts?

I personally think BR Eldrazi with Kolaghan Jr. as the top end for a lethal alpha strike is possibly a legit deck.

It's a worse Siege Rhino so... and Siege Rhino never hit $15.
It's better then Siege Rhino IMO. Assuming Abzan shell and you have the required colours for Siege Rhino vs this, this is a 5/5 Trample Vigilance vs a 4/5. Siege Rhino does have the Lightning Helix stapled to it(seriously, who went "Abzan needs direct damage" when none of Abzan's colours fit with direct damage?), but I'd feel the bonuses Woodland provides are better in some situations.

In a crazy 4 Mana shell he's a 6/6 for 4, that's quite frankly Amazing.

Toxi

Banned
The best thing about Woodland Wanderer is that it's more versatile than Siege Rhino. Any 3 or more color deck including Green can get good use out of it. So while it might not be as much raw value as Siege Rhino, I can see it being a very good card at adapting to format changes.

inthrall

Siege Rhino could work fine in BG. The white doesn't really play much of a role in the design. Anafenza is a better candidate.

I would posit Ghave, Guru of Spores as the most Abzan card out there. It has three abilities, each of which plays to WBG's strengths. Big fatty with counters is Green, growing new small creatures is White (and arguably Green), and sacrificing creatures for a beneficial effect is Black.

duxstar

I came to a realization sometime recently, that while Siege Rhino is a giant pain in the ass , that's not the card that makes abzan feel unbeatable. It's Abzan Charm.

Abzan Charm gives it the ability to go toe to toe with dedicated control decks with card draw, let's you split 2 +1/+1 counters up to make its creatures bigger, but most importantly let's you exile anything that's halfway threatening. Imagine if Abzan Charm simply said destroy instead of exile.

It wouldn't have the best answer to hangarback walker and would lose to any of the deathmist raptor / den protector decks. It's just exiling for 3 mana permanently is so strong especially in this current standard. There is no other deck that can run 1 card that is both card drawing and a premium removal spell.

I honestly think Siege Rhino gets knocked down a few pegs with Zendikar but Abzan Charm is the card that keeps me from wanting to play the Eldrazi. Tapping out for 9 or 10 mana creatures that just get exiled immediately seems like a losing proposition.

Also it's a huge flavor fail that Eldrazi can be exiled .... To the place that they came from.

sgjackson

Budget EDH deck attempt number three: After doing some goldfishing on XMage, I decided I wanted to play a ramp deck and that Xenagos is hilarious. This is my first draft of it - mana dorks and some mana rocks to try getting him out on turn four, then a fatty on turn five, then death from above. I also like that RG lands are generally cheap so it wouldn't totally break the bank if I got a decent manabase for this. Any further suggestions would be appreciated.
I'm sure y'all are tired of this shit anyway.

Bant Wombo Combo could run Emrakul/Some fatty as an additional win con, right?
T1: Forest, Dork
T2: Land, KotR
Turn 3: Retreat, tap, start cycle/finish cycle, have 20 Mana floating, Cast Nissa's Rev,find Emrakul, Draw 15/gain 15, play your land drop, untap the hierarch, pay 15 for Emrakul, swing with extra turn

It's super Christmas land though.

Edit: Yes, I know Chord of Calling does it for 18, but this gets the cast Trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom