• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 |OT|

Lirlond

My biggest beef is when the game decides what mana you're going to use. An example is I have 4Blue 5Red mana on the field. A spell which costs RedRed, and a monster which costs 5REDRED, now, instead of using 4 blues and 3 red, the game decided to use all 5 of my red mana, leaving me unable to cast my spell. So fucking annoying sometimes.

ultron87

I wish there was a multiplayer option for a Best of 3 match where you can sideboard stuff in between matches. You can do BO3 informally in a player match, but you can't sideboard and there's nothing to stop the other guy from picking a completely different deck.

And also, if you want to play another match with the same guy you can't concede since that quits you to the main menu. You have to wait for him to kill you.

bunbun777

New White Knight deck is OP to the maxxxx! Ahahahhaaaaa ~

Me and a friend joke that they have to include stronger decks every time DLC comes out not for people like us (we will buy practically anything they put out) but for everyone else when they get beat down from the new decks, thus making them want to buy them as well.

I unlocked a little less than half of the cards for new white, took out apx 8 cards I didn't agree with to keep the numbers down, then went online to test it out. I got 6 wins in a row, some of them were horrible beatdowns. The last match was against a player that had lost twice, and he pulled out the Vamp deck, he managed to kill the first 4 or 5 guys I summoned, but once I got my doublestrike protection from black knight, with the flying plains +1 aura, AND the enchantment that turns all combat damage into lifelink (hahaha) well i had a +9+9 unblockable indestructable doublestriking lifelinking champion that brought my life from 4 to 22 and reduced him to 9 (He had been drinkin' my blood)-- the next turn it was ovah.

The new RGU deck looks fun but have not tried it yet.

I've sorta come around on Pandemonium on the RGU deck. It's really frustrating that the card doesn't resolve properly, but so many of the deck's lethal combos require it that you can't exclude it. And if you play it properly, you're holding onto Pandemonium until the last possible second anyway, so chances are the game's screwy interpretation of resolution order won't be a huge deal.

Doomshine

I've sorta come around on Pandemonium on the RGU deck. It's really frustrating that the card doesn't resolve properly, but so many of the deck's lethal combos require it that you can't exclude it. And if you play it properly, you're holding onto Pandemonium until the last possible second anyway, so chances are the game's screwy interpretation of resolution order won't be a huge deal.

The few victories I have with this deck all involve Pandemonium, Ronin Warclub or that Elf Shaman.

For a deck with so many haste creatures it sure feels slow. I tried taking out all the blue cards, but it's still really hard to get any wins with it. I feel like can't deal with anything my opponents cast, I just need to sneak in a ton of damage with the above mentioned cards when I get the chance or I'm screwed.

Yeah the Knight deck is grossly overpowered. I was able to beat Karn's Revenge deck with it - in the Revenge campaign and Planeswalker difficulty - on the very first try. With zero cards unlocked. And yes, he actually succeeded in getting his overpowered cards out quickly, and I completely steamrolled him anyway.

Phreaker

The last match was against a player that had lost twice, and he pulled out the Vamp deck, he managed to kill the first 4 or 5 guys I summoned, but once I got my doublestrike protection from black knight, with the flying plains +1 aura, AND the enchantment that turns all combat damage into lifelink (hahaha) well i had a +9+9 unblockable indestructable doublestriking lifelinking champion that brought my life from 4 to 22 and reduced him to 9 (He had been drinkin' my blood)-- the next turn it was ovah.

Haha, so awesome! I totally have to unlock the cards for that deck tonight/this weekend.

The few victories I have with this deck all involve Pandemonium, Ronin Warclub or that Elf Shaman.

For a deck with so many haste creatures it sure feels slow. I tried taking out all the blue cards, but it's still really hard to get any wins with it. I feel like can't deal with anything my opponents cast, I just need to sneak in a ton of damage with the above mentioned cards when I get the chance or I'm screwed.

Yeah - that's not to say the deck is good or anything. It's completely fucking terrible in this environment, and anyone who tells you otherwise is just getting lucky. :lol

To clarify: it's a half-assed combo deck, where the designers didn't include enough of the combo pieces required to draw them regularly. If the deck wins by comboing creatures with the forcemage/warclub into pandemonium, why only only copy of pandemonium? If you're going to try to add some control with blue, why not some cancels or unsummons? Heck, I'd take repulse over regress anyway. It's just poorly constructed, and not worth playing aside from the occasional diversion.

Meteorain

Just picked up this game yesterday (only the core pack) and have been playing the campaign and have been having a lot of fun.

Currently I'm thoroughly enjoying the Gideon Jura - Wielding Steel deck and am having fun abusing a little strat of having the Pennon blade combined with Captain of the Watch for nice damage by stacking summons.

I do have a question though regarding the deathstrike and lifelink (where you die instantly if attacked by a creature who has this ability apparently). My Sunspear Shikari equipped with Trusty Machete fought a Giant Scorpion. I took damage from it, but did not die, instead I killed it. How was that resolved? Does lifelink mean you can regen your hp before instantly dying?

Just picked up this game yesterday (only the core pack) and have been playing the campaign and have been having a lot of fun.

Currently I'm thoroughly enjoying the Gideon Jura - Wielding Steel deck and am having fun abusing a little strat of having the Pennon blade combined with Captain of the Watch for nice damage by stacking summons.

I do have a question though regarding the deathstrike and lifelink (where you die instantly if attacked by a creature who has this ability apparently). My Sunspear Shikari equipped with Trusty Machete fought a Giant Scorpion. I took damage from it, but did not die, instead I killed it. How was that resolved? Does lifelink mean you can regen your hp before instantly dying?

Your creature had first strike so your creature killed the scorpion before it could deal any damage. Deathtouch does not kill you though, only your creatures.

Glad to see a new player!

During combat, creatures deal damage to each other simultaneously. If at any point a creature takes damage equal to their toughness, they die. Damage can come from combat, spells, or abilities, and likewise toughness can also be reduced through spells or abilities.

There are a number of keyword abilities which modify these rules; I'll only touch on a few:

Lifelink: When this creature deals damage for any reason, its controller gains that much life. It doesn't matter how much toughness a blocking creature has; an 8/8 lifelink will still gain its controller 8 life even if it's blocked by a 1/1 creature.
First Strike: When this creature blocks or is blocked by another creature(s), it gets to deal its damage first. If multiple creatures in a blocking situation have first strike, they deal damage simultaneously, then all other creatures deal damage.
Double Strike: Nasty ability. This creature gets to deal damage as if it has first strike, then it deals damage again when everybody else gets to attack.
Trample: If this creature would deal lethal damage to blocking creatures and still have damage left over, the leftover damage is dealt to the opponent instead of being wasted.
Deathtouch: A single point of damage dealt by this creature is lethal to a creature. It is not lethal to you.

So in your case, you had a 4/3 creature with first strike and lifelink. He had a 1/3 deathtouch creature. When they fight, your creature deals 4 damage first. This kills the scorpion before it has a chance to fight back. You gain 4 life.

Ya, essentially there are two damage phases, 1st strike damage phase and deathtouch. Double strike does damage both times and any non-first strike creatures do damage simultaneously to each other and first strike creatures do damage to each other simultaneously.

daevv

Any rumblings on when the second expansion will be out for 2012? I'm guessing it'll be close to the Dark Ascension release but have not read or saw any info yet.

Danj

Hi guys newbie here. What does foil mean? Like "foil cards"

As far as I can tell it means exactly what it says, your cards get converted to have the shiny "foil" appearance. Personally I think it's completely pointless but clearly there are people who don't.

Just got this a few days ago, it's really fun, definitely worth the $10. I like Magic but it's a really slippery slope, even if I try to just do FNM or whatever I end up spending money on singles here and there and inevitably get out of control. So this is pretty great for me, I have a sneaking suspicion that the computer cheats but it's still fun. I haven't really tried online yet.

So if I understand right from this thread there's a $5 DLC that has all the additional decks and some bonus goodies? $3 per pack with 3 packs is a little more then I want to spend right now when I haven't even finished the main game, but if I can get all of it for $5 I'd jump on that.

Just got this a few days ago, it's really fun, definitely worth the $10. I like Magic but it's a really slippery slope, even if I try to just do FNM or whatever I end up spending money on singles here and there and inevitably get out of control. So this is pretty great for me, I have a sneaking suspicion that the computer cheats but it's still fun. I haven't really tried online yet.

So if I understand right from this thread there's a $5 DLC that has all the additional decks and some bonus goodies? $3 per pack with 3 packs is a little more then I want to spend right now when I haven't even finished the main game, but if I can get all of it for $5 I'd jump on that.

The $5 DLC gets you three new decks (G/W enchantments, B discard, and a crappy R/U mix), plus new cards for the 10 original decks and a new campaign mode. I feel it's a must-buy.

The other three DLCs give you two new decks apiece:

DLC1 - R/W aggro and B zombies
DLC2 - G treefolk and B/W angels/demons
DLC3 - W knights and a R/U/G hasty deck

I've bought them all, and I like them all except the third DLC. The knight deck is pretty strong and straight-up boring to play (lay dudes, smash), and the RUG deck isn't that well constructed and suffers a lot from the simplified game rules (auto-tapping, simultaneous triggers events firing in arbitrary orders, etc).

DasRaven

argh! When are they going to release those new decks as one single expansion pack!

i'm sick of waiting!

Considering that MtG:2013 has already been outed, I think you may be out of luck.
Although I'd love another 3 cards per deck including the 6 expansion decks.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Considering that MtG:2013 has already been outed, I think you may be out of luck.
Although I'd love another 3 cards per deck including the 6 expansion decks.

Damn. Should have known this would come but that's really disappointing. Before launch I really hoped 2012 would be the version that could just serve as a platform for future expansion. Naive of me.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Daigoro

That's a load of crap really, at the very least patch the damn thing. The bug thread for 2012 is one of the biggest threads on the WOTC forums

wow, thats bullshit.

that pretty much settles me ever buying another expansion to this game or 2013.

Top Bottom