• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 |OT|

Rafaelcsa said:
Guys, what build do you recommend for Ancient Depths?

I really hate that deck myself, but of all the builds I've tried, this is one that I've had the most luck with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLwjbRrx__c

Be sure to subscribe to that guy on YouTube if you like DotP; he's pretty good and does a good job of talking through what he's thinking.

One change though: don't run Inkwell Leviathan! I know it sounds silly, but I deliberately don't run him anymore because so many people love to run Realm of Illusion, and Bribery will WRECK you if they grab Inkwell Leviathan.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Ugh I was sooo close to buying the expansion this weekend. My Steam buddy already bought it, but I was like arghhhh I hate to give them money when the PC version has been so funked and they've done like 2 small patches and crap is still broken. Arghhh... I'll probably cave this week sadly, but I got lucky as my crew decided to play LoL so I didn't get to sit there and think about buying it.

Incendiary said:
I'm not sure how MTGO works. You play online and can customize decks it seems, but do you have to buy cards just like you would a regular deck?

You unlock all the cards for the basic decks by playing and winning games. To get the expansion decks, you need to pay 400 MS points. You then unlick all the cards for the new decks by playing and winning. Pretty good deal, IMO. Plus the expansion set comes with a new game mode and new achievements.

Piecake

well, im going to revise my high opinion of cloudburst. It is just way too dependent on getting spells, the 1/3 flying dude, and the 0/1 pinger real soon to be effective. Not to mention that you can get easily mana screwed pretty easily.

I really think both the aura deck and cloudburst would be a lot less frustraiting if they only have a splash of the second color instead of basically even. That, or much better land

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Have yet to win an archenemy match where I'm not the archenemy.

I'm really liking the new Cloudburst deck. It's not the greatest, but with judicious use of burn/bounce spells, a lot of patience, and clever thinking, you can beat down a lot of other decks with it - assuming you don't get mana screwed. And since the deck doesn't have any mana fixing in it, that happens a lot more than I'd like it to. Still really fun though!

Ancient Depths is a mindless deck. You win or lose based entirely on your draw, not on your level of play. Even when properly trimmed down, it's not even a well-built Eldrazi deck; it's a "hope you draw enough ramp cards to survive an agressive push" deck.

I hate playing it, and I hate playing against it, because I never feel like the game is in my control either way. Of course, if it were actually a well-built Eldrazi deck, nothing in this format could stop it, so I guess it's "balanced" in that sense.

Piecake

I really despise the red burn deck and the people who play it constantly. Its such a cheap deck that is really strong and takes absolutely no skill or thinking to play well.

Gonaria said:
I really despise the red burn deck and the people who play it constantly. Its such a cheap deck that is really strong and takes absolutely no skill or thinking to play well.

It certainly is strong, but no stronger than the other top-tier decks. I'd much rather face it than Realm of Illusion any day.

SalsaShark said:
I crushed every single opponent using a slightly altered Ancient Depths deck, thing's a powerhouse
Really is the best deck IMO.
Can summon anything relatively fast. Oh that Annihilation 4, Indestructible monster costs 11 mana? here's..... 15 :D
Seriously, taking those early 1/1, 2/2 or even 3/3 hits is worth it. They pretty much have to take you out before you get that 6th or 7th mana (which is incredibly easy on this deck) because it goes downhill for them REAL fast from that point on. There's little they can do about it too unless they got creature recontrolling or hardcore discarding or counterspell cards goin on. Don't see them winning with straight up monsters because you're pulling 6/6s with Shroud, Flying, and Trample and up when they're barely on their like 3/3s.

Got it in the Steam deal and finally getting around to it. Playing the shit out of it. So fun. Makes me want to play IRL magic again... too bad it costs a fortune and a half when you really get into it.

Piecake

divisionbyzorro said:
It certainly is strong, but no stronger than the other top-tier decks. I'd much rather face it than Realm of Illusion any day.

that doesnt really bother me since at least that takes a little bit of thinking

It's mono-red. What do you expect? See stuff, burn stuff.

It's not even really that hard to deal with. It's only considered top-tier because it counters the other top-tier decks. In a format dominated by aggro decks, the deck loaded with cheap burn and pumpable elementals fares every well. Low-tier decks like Apex or Machinations can dominate it with ease (as does the new Liliana deck).

Playing against Karn:

Turn 1: Island, Mox Sapphire, Wayfarer's Bauble.

Aight cool, I lay down a Swamp.

Turn 2: Island, Tinker, Darksteel Colossus.

LMaE0.png

DasRaven

narcosis219 said:
Playing against Karn:

Turn 1: Island, Mox Sapphire, Wayfarer's Bauble.

Aight cool, I lay down a Swamp.

Turn 2: Island, Tinker, Darksteel Colossus.

I'm pretty sure that sequence is programmed into the game as a standard draw for Karn.
Just the devs having a bit of fun.

kuYuri

WTF, can't believe what I just witnessed.

It's Archenemy campaign match with myself using Vampire deck, one AI using Chandra's deck and other AI using Kiora's deck against Garruk. Long story short, Garruk killed myself and Chandra AI, leaving Kiora AI, who had Lothos, Simic Sky Swallower, and even a Tidal Kraken on the battlefield. Garruk only has 12 life left and had a few creatures like a 7/7 trample and a bunch of saprolings from scheme card, but otherwise, Kiora AI was in total control. Lothos alone would make sure that's the case. But one turn, she forgoes attacking with Lothos. This makes me panic a bit considering how powerful Lothos is and instead casts the 2/4 Giant that fetches one land but she lives through another of Garruk's turn. Next turn comes up.

All the Kiora AI has to do is attack with Tidal Kraken and Sky Swallower and GG (one's an unblockable and other is a flyer, Garruk can't block either). So what does the Kiora do? Fucking nothing. She ends the turn without attacking. Next turn, Garruk obliterates her with -13 life left.

I fucking raged.

Strider2K99 said:
WTF, can't believe what I just witnessed.

It's Archenemy campaign match with myself using Vampire deck, one AI using Chandra's deck and other AI using Kiora's deck against Garruk. Long story short, Garruk killed myself and Chandra AI, leaving Kiora AI, who had Lothos, Simic Sky Swallower, and even a Tidal Kraken on the battlefield. Garruk only has 12 life left and had a few creatures like a 7/7 trample and a bunch of saprolings from scheme card, but otherwise, Kiora AI was in total control. Lothos alone would make sure that's the case. But one turn, she forgoes attacking with Lothos. This makes me panic a bit considering how powerful Lothos is and instead casts the 2/4 Giant that fetches one land but she lives through another of Garruk's turn. Next turn comes up.

All the Kiora AI has to do is attack with Tidal Kraken and Sky Swallower and GG (one's an unblockable and other is a flyer, Garruk can't black either). So what does the Kiora do? Fucking nothing. She ends the turn without attacking. Next turn, Garruk obliterates her with -13 life left.

I fucking raged.

The AI in this game is complete shit. When I played Archenemy campaign (which I only did for the achievement), I cheesed it and played 3x Jace the entire time (save for when I faced Jace, at which point I played 3x Nissa).

kuYuri

divisionbyzorro said:
The AI in this game is complete shit. When I played Archenemy campaign (which I only did for the achievement), I cheesed it and played 3x Jace the entire time (save for when I faced Jace, at which point I played 3x Nissa).

Hell, I should do that.

Guesong

The AI cheats, simple as that.

I remember when I was testing the DLC. I was the Archenemy, dominating the whole team with Ancient Depths. Just for laughs, I decide to bring out everything I have in the deck to end the game with the biggest life difference possible.

When 3 cards are left in my deck, what card does the AI gives me?

The one that makes you draw 4 cards.

*FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU*

So, aight. Shit happens, right?

Next game, I do the exact same thing. Only this time, I could cast a spell that would make me fetch a land in the library (by now = 5 cards). I choose not to, remembering the last game.

What does the AI gives me?

The one that makes you draw 4 cards. Again. Didn't die this time, but clearly, the AI messes with the odds at every opportunity. Why do you think Karn has always 1-2 Mox in his starting hand? (not even mentioning his deck is illegal).

I'm really starting to buy into the conspiracy that this game doesn't randomize properly. Why else did I start with Bribery in my hand five games in a row yesterday?

Tizoc

The game is on sale for around 3 pounds at EU Store ATM.
I tried the Previous Magic game on PSN and liked it. From what I heard this one is even better, so would you recommend I pick it up?

DasRaven

Tizoc said:
The game is on sale for around 3 pounds at EU Store ATM.
I tried the Previous Magic game on PSN and liked it. From what I heard this one is even better, so would you recommend I pick it up?

Absolutely. It improves just about everything from the first game and adds several new ways to play including Archenemy (on either side).

Tizoc

DasRaven said:
Absolutely. It improves just about everything from the first game and adds several new ways to play including Archenemy (on either side).
Wicked, will get an EU card and get it before the sale's over =)

Tizoc

Played some stages in campaign mode, and I'm really enjoying it.
My main deck is Weilding Steel, I really like the equipping tricks it has, but would like some more advice on how to make it work better.
What DLC do you recommend I purchase BTW?

Tizoc said:
Played some stages in campaign mode, and I'm really enjoying it.
My main deck is Weilding Steel, I really like the equipping tricks it has, but would like some more advice on how to make it work better.
What DLC do you recommend I purchase BTW?

Don't purchase any deck unlocks. Manually unlocking is a great way to learn each deck.
Don't purchase deck foils; they're totally cosmetic.
Do purchase Expansion 1. You get three new decks, four additional unlocks for the other decks, and a brand-new single-player game mode.

Additionally, learn how to trim each deck down properly to 60 cards. If you're running with any more than 60 cards in your deck, you're doing it wrong. Never run the life-gaining artifacts (the 2-cost artifacts that give you one life for each spell you cast). Beyond that, you should figure out what works best for you, and if you're looking for advice on how to run decks, these YouTube channels will help you out a lot:

http://www.youtube.com/izdaisho
http://www.youtube.com/weaponsofmassgaming

Tizoc

Thanks, I was never planning on buy those cheap DLCs anyway.
...and yeah gotta agree 60 would be best.
BTW how does unlocking the 16 cards work? Would playing against an enemy in campaign mode over and over let me get all of them or do I have to face off against all the enemies?

Tizoc

Can't believe the main game only has BRONZE trophies, WTF?
I need to start playing this online soon. I'll be maining Wielding Steel and sub Realm of Illusion.
I don't feel comfortable with multi-colored decks, so I prob. won't bother getting all the cards for the other ones.
Though I gotta say, the Blue+Green one is rather impressive if only for the drawing cards aspect lol.

ultron87

Sounds like that Zombie deck is my new go to deck for when I want to stomp a computer into the ground and then just wait till I have 100s of tokens to run him over with and do hundreds of damage in my final attack.

I haven't gotten to play them yet, but I'm super excited for the new Soldier deck. It looks super tricky, and has quite a lot of control. Path to Exile is nuts.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Interesting break in the pattern of DLC release. I expected more DLC Expansions rather than decks alone.

Dynamic3

Emerson said:
Interesting break in the pattern of DLC release. I expected more DLC Expansions rather than decks alone.

I'd rather pay the extra $2 and get more campaign content and even more decks.

red13th

Having YET another monoblack deck is overkill but the new White/Red deck seems interesting.
I really wish they added more unlockables for the other decks.

I will say this: the new mono-black deck has a really sick opening move if you get the right cards.

If you're on the draw, don't play anything turn one and discard Grave Titan. On turn two, lay land and play Reanimate. It's pretty much instant game over unless they have the right kind of removal (although if they do, you've missed a land drop and lost 6 life for nothing).

Azrael

Data mining has revealed the next four decks to be:

Beknighted (Elspeth Tirel)
Dark Heavens (Angel of Despair)
Trinity of Elements (Riku of Two Reflections)
Forest's Fury (Silvos)

No deck lists have been uncovered. It's speculated the Elspeth deck is either mono white or white green blue, Angel of Despair is white black, Riku is red green blue, and Silvos is mono green.

The assumption is that they'll be doled out two at a time, one each month, followed by a second "Expansion."

I kinda like this model, in the sense that we get a lot more decks, but it's also turning out to be much more expensive than DotP09...

The assumption is that they'll be doled out two at a time, one each month, followed by a second "Expansion."

I kinda like this model, in the sense that we get a lot more decks, but it's also turning out to be much more expensive than DotP09...

To be fair - I've put in more hours into this game than any other game I own on steam and I only paid what, 15 bucks for it when it came out? Bought an expansion for 5 more dollars and I've still only put down 20. Even at this rate of releasing decks at 1.50 each it'll be a long time before I've paid the same amount as a blockbuster title.

DasRaven

More DLC officially announced for this week (the 14th) on 360 and Steam. The last set of DLC also finally has a date for PS3: December 20th. Not sure why PS3 is getting shafted with these deck packs :(

The new decks are a mono-green Treefolk tribal deck, and a white-black Angel deck.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/861

Nice, but as a PS3 player, a 5 week delay is enough for me to just wait for expansion 2 as I expect it to contain all the decks at a discount. I'd be snapping these up day 1 without the delay.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
More DLC officially announced for this week (the 14th) on 360 and Steam. The last set of DLC also finally has a date for PS3: December 20th. Not sure why PS3 is getting shafted with these deck packs :(

The new decks are a mono-green Treefolk tribal deck, and a white-black Angel deck.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/861

The wizards forum showed the next 2 decks as well (the ones that will be released after this week). Someone on the steam forums found the data in the PC version of the game. The two decks released this week seem to align with decks that were 'predicted' from the same guy.

Top Bottom