• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 |OT|

The wizards forum showed the next 2 decks as well (the ones that will be released after this week). Someone on the steam forums found the data in the PC version of the game. The two decks released this week seem to align with decks that were 'predicted' from the same guy.

Yep.

The next two decks (released mid-January) will be G/R/U haste/suicide (think a better version of Cloudburst) and mono-white knights, featuring three copies of Knight Exemplar and various creatures with protection (can't say I'm looking forward to this).

Doomshine

So... both Deck Packs are up on EU PSN now... I thought they were coming on the 20th?

They both have near 1 star ratings too, are people just pissed it took them so long or is there actually something wrong with them?

So... both Deck Packs are up on EU PSN now... I thought they were coming on the 20th?

They both have near 1 star ratings too, are people just pissed it took them so long or is there actually something wrong with them?

As far as I know, it's just that people are angry that the Xbox got them so much earlier than PSN, with no apparently good reason.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Yep.

The next two decks (released mid-January) will be G/R/U haste/suicide (think a better version of Cloudburst) and mono-white knights, featuring three copies of Knight Exemplar and various creatures with protection (can't say I'm looking forward to this).

Do you think Beknighted is that overpowered? I'm not as scared of it as those on the forum are. I don't think it throws the overall game balance out the window.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Is the new dlc just decks or is there more single player content? I wish we could mix and match decks. =(

Babalu.

Can I expect to buy all these new packs in one big expansion pack for less in the next few months? I'm fine with waiting if they will all be in a single pack for cheaper.

But i'm wondering if they've said anything about this or if they plan to just keep these decks seperate.

So I got bored and thought it would be cool to see if DotP could handle shittons of tokens:

fCcuj.jpg

EAU3f.jpg

Turns out 100 is the limit and they tell you it won't spawn anymore.

And yes, I had to click 100 tokens to get them to attack. They didn't program in a little menu to choose how many.

So I got bored and thought it would be cool to see if DotP could handle shittons of tokens:

fCcuj.jpg

EAU3f.jpg

Turns out 100 is the limit and they tell you it won't spawn anymore.

And yes, I had to click 100 tokens to get them to attack. They didn't program in a little menu to choose how many.

Yeah, it turns out that the game isn't exactly concerned with being the most usable or getting the rules precisely right 100% of the time. :/

Still fun to play though.

daevv

100 awesome zombies! I had 50 goblin tokens out in a MP game once (not in Magic 2012) then attacked with Marton Stromgald for fifty 50/50 goblins!

199.jpg

100 awesome zombies! I had 50 goblin tokens out in a MP game once (not in Magic 2012) then attacked with Marton Stromgald for fifty 50/50 goblins!

199.jpg

Yeah, in that pic above there is a Soulless One at about 115/115 or something. Can't see it tho lolol.

50 50/50 goblins is way cooler though.

ultron87

100 tokens is already several times over the number of tokens where it doesn't actually matter how many you have. So that doesn't seem like that big a deal.

I guess if two token producing decks faced each other and got into a stalemate it could cause a problem, but that's about it.

100 tokens is already several times over the number of tokens where it doesn't actually matter how many you have. So that doesn't seem like that big a deal.

I guess if two token producing decks faced each other and got into a stalemate it could cause a problem, but that's about it.

No, I don't think it ever really does become a problem. Just thought I'd try to break the game somehow.

Danj

Sorry if this has already been answered somewhere, but what actually are these Deck Packs? I haven't gotten the 2012 Planeswalkers game yet but am planning on it, I had the previous one but my experience there of the DLC was that you just needed the Expansions, everything else was stuff you could unlock in-game. Is that the case here? I.e. would I just need to buy the game and its expansion and the other stuff is unlockable?

Lirlond

Sorry if this has already been answered somewhere, but what actually are these Deck Packs? I haven't gotten the 2012 Planeswalkers game yet but am planning on it, I had the previous one but my experience there of the DLC was that you just needed the Expansions, everything else was stuff you could unlock in-game. Is that the case here? I.e. would I just need to buy the game and its expansion and the other stuff is unlockable?

No. The two deck packs are 4 new decks added to the game(you don't need to pay to unlock cards in the decks, and purchasing them does not unlock the cards, only the 60 card initial deck), which you pay to use. It's a pain, but its better than paying who knows what for a single card or a booster pack.

Danj

No. The two deck packs are 4 new decks added to the game(you don't need to pay to unlock cards in the decks, and purchasing them does not unlock the cards, only the 60 card initial deck), which you pay to use. It's a pain, but its better than paying who knows what for a single card or a booster pack.

OK so to get everything I'd need to get the base game, the expansion and Deck Packs 1 and 2?

That black&white deck looks cool, anyone tried it?

Yep. It's good, if not a tad inconsistent. It's all about controlling your opponent with kill spells and sweepers and stalling with walls until you get to land drop 6/7/8 to drop some serious bombs. Plus it has Desolation Angel, which just might be the most fun card to play in this meta right now.

Phreaker

Just wanted to say I've really enjoyed both Deck Packs. I haven't unlocked all the cards, but still neat that they tried this instead of another full-blown expansion.

Doomshine

I wish I could enjoy them, but they are still not fixed on EU PSN. Sounds like the people who bought the faulty ones will be refunded in January, but I'd really like to get the damn decks.

Danj

Picked this up in the Steam daily deal, enjoying the hell out of it already. Is there / is there going to be a GAF tournament in 2012? And/or what about the new co-op mode?

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Picked this up in the Steam daily deal, enjoying the hell out of it already. Is there / is there going to be a GAF tournament in 2012? And/or what about the new co-op mode?

The userbase is fragmented on Xbox, PC, and PS3, so I don't know how a tourney would work, but I'd kick all of your asses (play on Xbox). If anyone wants a match, I play almost daily.

Bought the new decks, haven't tried them yet but Knight Exemplar seems absolutely insane and I'm surprised you can stack them if "other Knight creatures" means a Knight Exemplar can grant indestructibility to another Knight Exemplar.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Bought the new decks, haven't tried them yet but Knight Exemplar seems absolutely insane and I'm surprised you can stack them if "other Knight creatures" means a Knight Exemplar can grant indestructibility to another Knight Exemplar.

It does

Damn, I can think of a good dozen ways to neuter that deck but they all involve cards not in DotP

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, I saw the ruling right after posting. "15/08/2010 If you control two Knight Exemplars, each one causes the other to get +1/+1 and be indestructible."

Seems pretty badass to me.

(in a DotP context obviously, I don't know much about the current state of MtG otherwise)

Yeah, its only decent in a wider environment due to much more varied removal. Problem is, I can't splash white for a couple of Oblivion Rings or sideboard a few Disembers

Yeah, its only decent in a wider environment due to much more varied removal. Problem is, I can't splash white for a couple of Oblivion Rings or sideboard a few Disembers

March to War has Path to Exile
Dark Heavens has Black Sun's Zenith and Living Death
Vampires get Gatekeeper of Malakir and Barter in Blood
Gravewhispers has Quag Sickness
Strength of Stone has Slagstorm (works fine unless they have two Exemplars)
Unquenchable Fire has plenty of burn to nuke individual lords (again, unless they get two of them out there).

There is removal for this in the format, but you won't draw it as reliably as that deck will draw its lords (did they really need three Exemplars and two Kinsbales?). And regardless, the deck also has a ton of creatures with protection, in addition to running super quickly. It doesn't seem to have the built-in weaknesses that the other decks have.

It's not that it's unbeatable 100% of the time. It's that it requires little to no skill to pilot, and will easily be the smoothest running deck in the game.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
New decks released today.

Including one that is so ridiculously overpowered as to probably ruin multiplayer entirely. :(

I call bullshit on this. The wizards forum is full of people saying this deck is overpowered and will be more dominant than the vampire deck was in the previous dotp game. I thought the vampire deck was overpowered in the old game (didn't stop me from playing other decks and still winning), but I don't think Beknighted falls into that category, at least not without actual play time behind statements like that.

I played against Beknighted 3x so far on Xbox Live and I'm 2-1. Small sample size, but I think it's way too early to call something overpowered when it hasn't been out for more than a day and it proves very beatable thus far. It's strong, possibly the best, but enough to throw the entire game balance out of whack? Give it some time before pulling the fire alarm.

Phreaker

I haven't even unlocked all the cards from Deck 2, but I support frequent DLC deck packs so I'm off the get #3.

Can the OP be updated with the other two deck packs for sale?

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
New decks released today.

Including one that is so ridiculously overpowered as to probably ruin multiplayer entirely. :(

So I went 6-3 today against Beknighted in 1vs1 ranked duels. One of my losses was because I drew all land. The other two were turn 5 kills. I think people give the deck too much credit. It's not that hard to beat and it has a lot of weaknesses. I even had one of my Beknighted opponents run in fear after seeing my name in the game lobby. He refused to play against me any more. So much for the scary game-breaking knight deck <mock trembles in fear>. Other decks like ROI and Aura I think are scarier if they get a good draw.

Danj

Ooh, new deck pack *buys*.

Still working through the campaign mode at the moment (I've completed the regular one and am nearly done with Archenemy) but enjoying the hell out of this game. Will there be a GAF tourney at some point?

Babalu.

dang

White angel, soldier, knight decks are my favorite.

And nobody really plays white in the game. Now i'm going to be running into them too much. Hopefully its not as overpowered as people say. I like playing underdog decks.

I still love the mono white from the original.

btw, any word on if they will combine all of these decks into one cheaper expansion pack?

Gaspode_T

Quick Q, do the packs make single player game easier? (or more options if you are having a hard time beating someone?)

Just curious if it's one of those things you should pick up after you clear the main campaign, or if it helps to have it before, I've only played like 3 matches

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Quick Q, do the packs make single player game easier? (or more options if you are having a hard time beating someone?)

Just curious if it's one of those things you should pick up after you clear the main campaign, or if it helps to have it before, I've only played like 3 matches

They give you more options to choose in deck selection. Most of the decks don't get good until you unlock the sideboard cards though, so look at those before deciding whether a deck is your style or not. Vanilla 60 is usually not very good without the juicy stuff in sideboard.

The expansion is definitely worth it, as it adds more choices fo the 10 base decks in addition to three new decks all for $5.

Also, the game bugs keep frustrating me. A number of sacrifice effects don't properly trigger against creatures with shroud/hexproof/protection (Woebringer Demon, Call to the Grave). The game simply won't let my opponent choose to sac those creatures.

Also, the game doesn't allow you to decide the order in which simultaneous triggered abilities go on the stack; instead, the game chooses based on which card entered first.

Example:
Lay Ronin Warclub, Pandemonium, Farhaven Elf. Club attaches to elf, Pandemonium goes off for three.
Lay Pandemonium, Ronin Warclub, Farhaven Elf. Pandemonium goes off for one, club attaches to elf.

Pandemonium was a questionable include for Trinity of Elements anyway, but this moves it firmly to the "do not ever include" category.

It works the same way in Auramancer for creatures with multiple Totem Armors.

Doomshine

Pandemonium was a questionable include for Trinity of Elements anyway, but this moves it firmly to the "do not ever include" category.

Funnily enough, having Pandemonium out was the only time I dominated with ToE for the few matches I played with it. Raging Kavu + Ronin Warclub and a shitload of other creatures with haste made quick work of my opponent. That 3/1 Elemental with Unearth worked great with it too.

The deck doesn't have seem to have much in the removal department either, but I haven't unlocked all cards yet.

Top Bottom