• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 |OT| Tapping All Day

remist

I don't think I'm going to get into the paper game so I guess I'll PM my promo code to the first person that replies that they want it. PS3 ver. btw.

Gamble

*droooolll* after playing yugioh for so many years and pokemon prior to that I've suddenly developed an itch to learn how to play this games.....decisions decisions......

Buy it. You'll enjoy the game, trust me. My friends were all into Yu-Gi-Oh and most of them have sold their cards to feed their magic addiction, haha.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
*droooolll* after playing yugioh for so many years and pokemon prior to that I've suddenly developed an itch to learn how to play this games.....decisions decisions......

Magic is the grandmaster of them all, if you liked those Magic will consume your soul.

Gamble

and here i am thinking i was starting off the year right by NOT developing a new geek addiction....screw it I'm in PSN is Gamble welcoming all the ass kickings I have coming for deciding to buy this beautifully crafted sin of a card game.........

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
AI is still pretty weird and not in a good way. Playing on the hardest difficulty in the first matchup.

Total stalemate on the board. I have 13 mountains (playing the janky default red deck), AI has 7 islands. He has a Ring of Evos Isle (the equipment that gives +1/+1 counter at each upkeep) attached to his Fog Bank.

Fog Bank of course has defender and deals no combat damage (and receives none). His 11/13 Fog Bank is THREATENING.

His other 2 creatures are Kraken Hatchlings. Which of course don't have defender. I have just been playing draw - go the last 6 turns hitting nothing but lands (god damn shuffler). AI refuses to move the equipment for some inexplicable reason.

edit: Same match, opponent down to 1 life. He attacks directly into my Magma Phoenix with his 3/3 flier and loses the game. Okay.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
After that there are encounters where the AI will play out the same exact game on their end every time you play them.

The deck thats being played by a guy with a Suntail Hawk avatar
plays Suntail Hawk every single turn. That's it and nothing else. Sometimes he plays 2 Suntail Hawks.

Now that is hilarious.

drkOne

For anyone who played previous DotP games more extensively than I did:
How many turns does a high level game take? And I mean against another player.

I only played previous games for fun and it seemed that not being able to create your own deck lead to slower paced matches overall.

I played MODO during Innistrad and Dark Ascension and I'm afraid of slow pacing compared to the usual Tier 1 Standard matches.

remist

The 4 player planechase things take forever. I was so close to winning but some card wiped out all permanents and this deck that gains a ton of life grinded me out.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The early encounters are really stupid.

This one guy casts
Haunting Revelation every single turn until turn 5 when he casts Call From the Grave
Basically you win the game if you cast any creature in the first 5 turns.

I dunno I expected them to be more challenging. I guess they will be later on.

KuroNeeko

Bought.

The last two titles have given me hundreds of hours of play. So much value for the price. Between this franchise and Clash of Heroes
give us a sequel!
download titles made up most of my gaming year in 2011.

Now all I need is a new console Culdcept...

KuroNeeko

There's a market for this. I don't want to have to deal with physical cards (everyone who has taken MtG at least semi-seriously knows how hard it is to handle the huge piles of cards you'll end up with), I don't want to deal with the MtG Online community where everyone just uses net decklists and you need to have a $300-400 deck to be competitive.

Yeah, I remember playing local tournaments back during Fallen Empires and Ice Age. People had to rely on their local play groups to come up with good decks and you had so much variety going around. I mean, to see a really strong deck you usually had to wait around until the finals so you could manually scope out a dood's deck while they played. Then you had to try to guess how he built it. You actually had to use your head.

Now it's just all copy / paste deck lists. Boring. :(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I liked archenemy, made it worth it, at least.

PS3 2012 runs like ass in comparison to PC/Steam 2012. Hell, DotP 09 is better running than DotP 12 on PS3. It's weird.

I bought without trying the demo of 13 simply because I'm a Magic whore. I gotta sit down and finish the campaigns. And yeah, Archenemy made '12 worth it along with the Wielding Steel deck.

TheSeks

IIRC, the AI had access to more cards in higher difficulties in the first two games, not to mention suspiciously good draws for those jank decks.

Yep, they Top Deck like a motherfucker. :(

sladeums

Don't be in too big of a hurry ... I've had it downloading for 40 minutes and it's only halfway there.

Game includes:
• 3 decks with 5 unlockable cards each
• Single-player campaign across the plane of Shandalar
• 4 deadly opponents, including the Planeswalker Garruk Wildspeaker
• Encounters, a new feature in which you test your skills against different preset AI strategies
• Planechase mode, which changes the rules with a randomized deck of cards based on the planes of the Magic Multiverse

Additional content is also available for purchase. Premium content package will get you:
• 7 additional decks to unlock
• 250+ additional cards unlockable through play
• 18 additional Campaign levels across the planes of Ravnica, Alara, and Innistrad, plus 11 revenge matches and 3 Planechase battles.
• 10 puzzling challenges
• Online one-on-one Multiplayer play
• Two-Headed Giant and Custom game modes
• Pit yourself against the Multiverse’s ultimate evil mastermind, the dragon Planeswalker Nicol Bolas, in the single-player campaign
• Access to deck key and foil conversion in-app purchases
• Additional downloadable content as it becomes available

Magic: The Gathering – Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 runs best on iPad 2 or later.

Game content available in English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Russian, Japanese, Korean, and Brazilian Portuguese.

An-Det

Have they said when it unlocks on Steam? I've already bought it, just want to download it to be ready for tomorrow.

TheSeks

How does one get the code on the PS3 ver.? Do I get it when I load up the game?

Yes, or you can find the code in the options menu. Then you redeem it on Wizards.com to print out a voucher to give to your local card shop for the card.

Entirely hasty impressions after one game: iPad version seems pretty rad.

Yup. Takes some getting used to after playing 2011 and 2012 on PC with a mouse, but the gestures make sense. The card art looks great on the retina display, but some of the 2D art elsewhere in the game looks pretty bad, like its been stretched or scaled. The table texture in particular looks awful.

1. Did you play any of the previous versions?
2. How's the "grind" time when the AI has to make decisions?

Own 2011 and 2012 on Steam, and 2011 on Xbox too

The AI thinking time has been about the same as the PC version so far, but I'm only at the beginning of the campaign so the AI hasn't exactly made any complex decisions yet

Top Bottom