• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 |OT| Tapping All Day

drkOne

The initial ten bucks to upgrade from the trial version gets you all 10 decks and the 30 unlockable cards for each one. You just need to beat them in the campaign first to unlock them.

Alright, just got Ordric's deck. Fuck yeah tokens!

jiggles

Banned
Love, love, LOVE this iPad version.

I was really worried about how the UI would be handled before, but it's a joy to play. I'm going to lose some serious hours with this.

I actually picked up the Steam and PS3 versions too. I don't think I've ever triple-dipped on release day before.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Just the two, Hexproof and Shroud. Its been a weird growing period: they keyworded Shroud first, but then they didn't think it was good enough or something so they made Hexproof but now there have been stirrings that Hexproof might be too good so they might go back to using Shroud in the future...yeah

Hexproof is too good. It's the bane of my damn existence in Magic. "Oh, you want to bounce me? Because I can cast Giant Growth and +X/+X enchantments on me? TOO BAD! LOLOLOLOLOLOL"

If you're not going to let me target, then they shouldn't be able to target as well. I'm fine with Shroud being on 4/4 creatures since it means an even blocking brigade to take down, whereas they can continue to get stronger and prevent you taking them down with hexproof.

Unless they're going to introduce a anti-hexproof card to let opponents break that stupid shit...

I have very little problem with hexproof being on the green end of the color pie, since green typically gets the shaft and needs all the help it can get. Things like Dungrove Elder and Thrun are just fine.

But when you give hexproof to blue, I get a little pissy. Why does the best color, with all the interaction, also get cards that you can't interact with? Invisible Stalker and Geist of St. Traft are massive mistakes, in my humble opinion.

But that's probably a discussion for the paper Magic thread.

ultron87

The challenges. There is one where destroying a blocking creature doesn't allow damage to go through in combat, unless you stick trample on the attacker.

That sounds correct to me. Once something gets blocked it stays blocked even if something happens to the blocker before combat damage. This is why cards like Pentavus are crazy good for defense.

Spawnling

I am playing the trial. Excited to have MTG on it, but damn, this game feels slow and clunky to use.

Where's the skip animations and a overhead view of the table? :(

I haven't check it yet, aren't those in the game player settings like the other ones?

ultron87

Skip combat animations is an option in one of the Settings tabs. It is somewhere near the "have to always pass out of my main phase" option.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
That sounds correct to me. Once something gets blocked it stays blocked even if something happens to the blocker before combat damage. This is why cards like Pentavus are crazy good for defense.

Play challenge 3/4 then let me know if I fucked it up.

I really like how this game passes to the "Begin Combat" or "End" step when the active player passes priority. It's like they're actually passing priority now!

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I am playing the trial. Excited to have MTG on it, but damn, this game feels slow and clunky to use.

Where's the skip animations and a overhead view of the table? :(

I am pretty sure you can tap on cards to skip combat animations and there should be an option for overhead view when you tap on your own avatar thing. That is if you are playing the iPad version.

zewone

First time I've ever preordered a game on Steam.

Why can't I have my game I paid for yet when I see it for sale on Steam now? How do I convert it to the full game.

zethren

Banned
First time I've ever preordered a game on Steam.

Why can't I have my game I paid for yet when I see it for sale on Steam now? How do I convert it to the full game.

it's not out yet :p

It says in approximately 1 hour.

What gives, steam. lol

deim0s

I am pretty sure you can tap on cards to skip combat animations and there should be an option for overhead view when you tap on your own avatar thing. That is if you are playing the iPad version.

Oh wow, thanks. Now it feels better, wished that the hand didn't cover the mana in the overhead view.

Calidor

If you search for the game, it shows as 'buy' instead of 'pre-order'.

EDIT: Great! Now it's letting me download the game.

WAT

how do you that? when I search the game it says that I already own the game, but I still "Pre-order" on my steam list

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is there multiplayer in this? I've only played the first match + Sunstrider Hawk Encounter. Probably going to just unlock the full game because it's pretty damn fun.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Is there multiplayer in this? I've only played the first match + Sunstrider Hawk Encounter. Probably going to just unlock the full game because it's pretty damn fun.

Yup up to 4 players in ffa's, two headed giant (2 vs 2) and planechase.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Its a shame lack of cross-platform play will make organizing GAF games tough. Still, if anyone's ever interested in Planechase let me know

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
iPad version only has 1v1 online. This seems to be the only real detriment it has vs other versions.

Wow thats a pretty damn big drawback.

I feel like this years PS3 version runs a lot smoother than last years, the UI is a lot nicer and the load times aren't as ridiculous. Maybe its just my mind playing tricks on me.

Just finished the first duel, and the first encounter. Ended the former on over 60 life with the white deck- the crap 'shuffling' by the game meant I kept pulling out so many plains cards, with few creatures. The blue player was also stuck in a stalemate, with a couple of kraken hatchlings, and some other 2/1 creatures. All the while, I had a couple of Soul Wardens adding one life continuously, and eventually use of some 2/1 flying creatures finished him off, as he had no flying/reach creatures.

Encounter was straightforward too- have these replaced challenges?
Also, how come the player had five of one card in his deck?

Aeana

For some reason, the PC version is limiting to 24 FPS when I try to set it to 1920x1080. Seems fine on 720 though... Since I'm using a TV, I thought it might be latching onto the 24Hz mode, but I can't seem to figure out a way around that.

EDIT: I managed to fix it by finding the config file in the steamapps directory and changing the [Refresh] option to 60, it was at 24 for some reason!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i played all the other MTG games on 360, so i'll be doing the same here. i'll also cop the iPad version if anyone wants to get beat:

iPad: jon bones
360: jon bones

zethren

Banned
I have the Steam version: zethren117

Give me a friend request with a message that says "Yo I'm from GAF" or something.

Installing now.

zulux21

Started up my first duel in 2013... and I was surprised I hadn't seen this mentioned as it made me really happy when I saw it...

When you zoom in on a card that has stuff equipped to it, it now separates the cards so you can look at each card individually.

it's going to make using equipment so much easier, it's a great change that should have been there sooner.

ooh you are given the option of if you want to draw a card now from card abilities.

zethren

Banned
Also, where exactly is the DotP code that we input on Wizards' site to get the promo booster? Do we have to wait until the game is installed to get the code? I have the Steam version, for reference.

zulux21

Also, where exactly is the DotP code that we input on Wizards' site to get the promo booster? Do we have to wait until the game is installed to get the code? I have the Steam version, for reference.

you have to install it. as soon as you boot up the game it will show you the code. or you could go to extras at any point and see it.

ultron87

I find it weird that when you fight one of the Planeswalkers it shows a big bio of them and actually shows their Planeswalker card, even though that kind of card doesn't exist in this game. I guess they want the new people to have a reason to look into the paper game.

Having the cycle of legends as the marquee cards in all the M13 Intro Decks should also help with that a ton.

zulux21

Whats with the deck Pack Instinct having all its cards unlocked on the Steam version?

One deck was fully unlocked on steam if you preordered, a different deck was fully unlocked if you owned magic 2012. I can't remember which was which but it was the green and white deck that was involved for those two things.

IllumiNate

If any of you guys want an actual challenge, by someone who got invited to Nationals with the real card game. Add me up Gamecenter: C0ttonBaller
Mostly play on weekends and weekdays during the day

Top Bottom