• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 |OT| Tapping All Day

zethren

Banned
I may have to double dip on this one...

Hyrdas are my favorite tribe in all of Magic, so I have to get the 360 version.

However I want to snag that sweet Igor Kieryluk Serra Avatar promo for my gf.

Gonna go ahead and get the Steam version tonight.

zethren

Banned
How are people playing it already? Did the console versions release before the Steam version? Steam version says it unlocks in about 11 hours :p

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Playing on the iPad is awesome...but mana tapping is still jacked up. It's definitely glitched, at least during the challenges. There is one that takes a precise order to complete, but it took about 5-6 tries after knowing what to do for the game to actually pay the mana as highlighted. It works some of the time, but that's not good enough. It's definitely not me, as I really, really took my time the last 3 times to be absolutely sure. The right cards were lit, but when I slid the cards up they played out of order. The correct cards remained lit for the duration, so there was no miscue on the touch...there is just some inherient flaw in the mana tapping.

mrkgoo

Interesting. I'm an old-school Magic player from way back, and this seems perfect to get to know some newer mechanics better.

Playing on the iPad is awesome...but mana tapping is still jacked up. It's definitely glitched, at least during the challenges. There is one that takes a precise order to complete, but it took about 5-6 tries after knowing what to do for the game to actually pay the mana as highlighted. It works some of the time, but that's not good enough. It's definitely not me, as I really, really took my time the last 3 times to be absolutely sure. The right cards were lit, but when I slid the cards up they played out of order. The correct cards remained lit for the duration, so there was no miscue on the touch...there is just some inherient flaw in the mana tapping.

It's almost like mana tapping is the hardest thing in the world to implement

Salsa

automatic land tapping again? if so im probably out. Multi-colored decks are screwed because of this.

okay im happy with that

.. so i'll just complain about still not being able to build decks :p

Acidote

What is this I'm seeing on the marketplace?

QJabu.png

I skipped 2012 so I don't know if you have to download a multiplayer key separately or what.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Call me crazy and mean but I think the iPad version is actually kinda sloppy. This is coming from someone who played XBLA then PC versions of the other two. Choosing attackers is slow and just overall things feel like a slog (compare vs. Ascension where it's just bam bam bam) and there's lots of lower-res stuff around.

Not related to substantive gameplay though. New modes look cool and hopefully the little rough patches are ironed out in an update.

zulux21

Call me crazy and mean but I think the iPad version is actually kinda sloppy. This is coming from someone who played XBLA then PC versions of the other two. Choosing attackers is slow and just overall things feel like a slog (compare vs. Ascension where it's just bam bam bam) and there's lots of lower-res stuff around.

Not related to substantive gameplay though. New modes look cool and hopefully the little rough patches are ironed out in an update.

if history is anything to go off of, you will get one patch that fixes a few things but breaks others, and any patch after that will just fix the fact that the DLC isn't showing up properly. You will likely have to wait for 2014 for a better version.

I mean maybe their support is going to be better this time, but it wasn't for 2009 or 2012 lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
if history is anything to go off of, you will get one patch that fixes a few things but breaks others, and any patch after that will just fix the fact that the DLC isn't showing up properly. You will likely have to wait for 2014 for a better version.

I mean maybe their support is going to be better this time, but it wasn't for 2009 or 2012 lol

hmm yeah i do remember lots of crashes back in the day. ah well it's not like it's anything horrible afaict just little stuff that bugged me in my 60m with the game. i'm sure it will be fun!

zulux21

hmm yeah i do remember lots of crashes back in the day. ah well it's not like it's anything horrible afaict just little stuff that bugged me in my 60m with the game. i'm sure it will be fun!

I've always managed to look past the bugs to have fun as well... god that mic bug back on 2009 is horrible though @_@ ultimately had to disable all sounds from magic because my friend was playing on a laptop and no matter what he tried he couldn't actually mute his mic, 2009 wouldn't let him lol.

I can't wait to give the game a try in 9 hours though, hopefully it's as much improved from 2012 as 2012 was from 2009

Gowans

Played the trial on iPad, will unlock after work.

How does the multi work on iPad, it has turn by turn with notifications right?

Gowans007 on GameCenter

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
DotP '13 is slick as hell in the GUI department. I also LOVE LOVE LOVE the stats and "custom cards"/event cards that may happen. LOVE IT. It's good to see Stainless and Wizards take the critics of '12 (EG: bad performance on PS3. '13 is OH SO SMOOTH and fast in loading. It's insane!) and improve on it.

Only one small thing: Is Archenemy completely gone? I see "Campaign," "Revenge, (expansion in '12)" "Planescape" and that's it. No Archenemy?

DRZ

It's cool that one of the main new feature is manual land tapping and 90% of the decks are monocolored, like if it would make sense to tap this forest rather than that...
Hope that for the expansions and additional decks they release only multicolor.

DRZ

DotP '13 is slick as hell in the GUI department. I also LOVE LOVE LOVE the stats and "custom cards"/event cards that may happen. LOVE IT. It's good to see Stainless and Wizards take the critics of '12 (EG: bad performance on PS3. '13 is OH SO SMOOTH and fast in loading. It's insane!) and improve on it.

Only one small thing: Is Archenemy completely gone? I see "Campaign," "Revenge, (expansion in '12)" "Planescape" and that's it. No Archenemy?

Yes gone, the better planechase in change

ultron87

It turns out I was getting positively smashed by that Odric deck because I had gotten it set to Planeswalker difficulty by picking "A lot" when it asks how much experience I had with Magic. I can't actually prove that they are top decking perfectly all over the place, but yeesh. I wish that wasn't the case because they actually do just play the game better at that difficulty as well. It seems like that is the only level where they play creatures after they attack instead of before and some of their other decisions seem better as well.

I didn't like how choosing attackers worked on iPad until I realized you can just single tap each guy you want to send instead of having to drag them to the other guy's portrait. The only other thing that seems a bit clunky is activating abilities on cards since you need to hit pause, double tap the card to zoom in, then select the ability. I can't really see a better way to do it though except maybe always pausing when you zoom on a card, which could get annoying really fast in MP (which I haven't tried yet). Some of the graphical elements on the screen look a little weird, but the cards look so nice that it doesn't really bother me.

ultron87

Slightly ot: I was browsing the Gatherer database and found this. Is that a dual-sided card!?

Yep, those were the big new thing that were in two of the sets in the last block (Innistrad and Dark Ascension). You can either have them directly in your deck if you play with card sleeves or keep them on the side and put a special checklist card in your deck that you swap for the double faced card when you play it:

g4cc1x3ges_en.jpg

This isn't nearly as clunky in practice as it initially sounds.

So does anyone have an answer on the iPad multiplayer?

Real time only. There is too much back and forth in every turn of Magic to do it asynchronously.

The things that are actually at native res on the new iPad look really nice. I'm about 30 seconds into it and I'm already strangely giddy.

Dynamic3

Yep, those were the big new thing that were in two of the sets in the last block (Innistrad and Dark Ascension). You can either have them directly in your deck if you play with card sleeves or keep them on the side and put a special checklist card in your deck that you swap for the double faced card when you play it:

g4cc1x3ges_en.jpg

This isn't nearly as clunky in practice as it initially sounds.

That's pretty cool.

I haven't played since Ice Age, but is it just me or are there a hundred different names for the same ability to not be the target of spells, even within the same set (ex. hexproof / shroud)?

That's pretty cool.

I haven't played since Ice Age, but is it just me or are there a hundred different names for the same ability to not be the target of spells, even within the same set (ex. hexproof / shroud)?

They kinda went crazy with the keywords at one point. They are different abilities though. Shroud means nothing can target, Hexproof means opponents can't target, which is much better.

One game in - feels nice on iPad. Really enjoying it.

J0dy77

I like the look and feel but agree that the game could have been done so much better. Why not just make it like Magic Online? The way you have to stop the timer to cast certain cards or abilities is head scratching.

Overall I'm just happy the game is on the ipad. So much potential here for Wizards of the coast that they just refuse to embrace.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
That's pretty cool.

Just the two, Hexproof and Shroud. Its been a weird growing period: they keyworded Shroud first, but then they didn't think it was good enough or something so they made Hexproof but now there have been stirrings that Hexproof might be too good so they might go back to using Shroud in the future...yeah

ultron87

Stupid Hexproof. It lets my most hated variety of deck exist: the put out one Hexproof guy and stack him with auras and equipment so that he's unkillable unless you have a Wrath in your hand deck.

drkOne

iPad version(might be the same for every version), do you end up unlocking Jace, Lilinana, etc decks, or do I really have to pay for them?

ultron87

iPad version(might be the same for every version), do you end up unlocking Jace, Lilinana, etc decks, or do I really have to pay for them?

The initial ten bucks to upgrade from the trial version gets you all 10 decks and the 30 unlockable cards for each one. You just need to beat them in the campaign first to unlock them.

Top Bottom