• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic the Gathering Online = digital crack

jedimike

I played the free trial version for several weeks. I loved it. The 6 trial decks were balanced and with the free trial you had access to most of the game. I just couldn't resist paying the $10 for access to the full game.

I started out enthusiastic. I bought a premade deck with my $10 credit and added a couple booster packs. I bought assloads of commons, 64 for a $1. But I lost interest in a couple days.

Summary

Free Trial - Could have played for months
Full Game - frustrated after 2 days

I put together what I thought was a good deck. Basically just tweaked my premade, but I get owned by everyone. I could live with that... but the arrogant assholes behind the decks drive me insane.

These guys (kids) can't be polite and worse yet, they're rude as hell even when you compliment them. It's like your worst online gaming experience x 10.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
If you think it's the rudest online gaming experience, you should try out gunbound sometime

Burger

Try something like Eve Online. It's so fucking complex that most 10-16 year olds will give up and go back to counterstrike.

MoxManiac

Yes, the average MTGO player is scum. You think it's bad during games, you should see how rabid and inhuman they can be in the trading rooms. If I hadn't found a decent community of players to play and hang out with I'd have quit long ago. A shame really, as the game itself is really good, as you probably know.

DyersEve

MTGO would probably be the one game that i constantly play, if the cards were free or atleast if you did have to pay I would settle for a monthly fee with all the cards i wanted.

shoplifter

I prefer playing in real life with packs that are only $2.50 a pop. It's rather hilarious that Wizards charges full retail for virtual cards. Yes, I understand their reasoning, I just think it's funny that people will pay that.

That said, if you really want to get your draft on, it's not a bad way to do it. I'd just rather play Type I with all of my goodies.

Fjord

Real and online both have their advantages, in online:
A) you always have someone to play with
B) Rules are perfectly followed and you very quickly become a better player. This isn't to say you're limited to standard gametypes.
C) You can use the same cards in multiple decks.
D) Tournaments.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Way late to the party there mike :p. I was playing the hell out of this game for a few months. I quit as it got boring from most of the top 20 players only using Green/White decks. I remember arguing with an EGM editor here about their horrible review of the game. Mad underrated title.

Top Bottom