• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enlightened Maniac seems good with Emerge? It's a common, 3U for an 3/2 + 0/2 body. Dunno, just a thought I had, maybe it's brain dead obvious, lol.

Enlightened Maniac seems good with Emerge? It's a common, 3U for an 3/2 + 0/2 body. Dunno, just a thought I had, maybe it's brain dead obvious, lol.

Yeah, most of the value is in the token, and there's no point in keeping the guy around.

Oh, and in the stream, every promo card comes with a zombie token? Neat.

They established U/R as a strong color focus/pair w/ Thopters already, and given we've had a grand total of Zero enemy-color blocks, it's a box they've desperately needed to check for a long time.

I mean I'm not saying there won't be any tilt at all, but to really qualify as an "enemy-pair set" you need to be at least as gold as, say, DTK, and I don't think that's likely.

EDIT: this is a weird answer

ghh619 asked: I have 2ish questions about draft archetypes. What was, mechanically, R/W's theme for SOI supposed to be? Flavor-wise, it's crazy Angels, but on the common level it's kinda all over the place. Next, Investigate seems like a Smash Hit as a fair mechanic, do you think it was received Well enough/has enough design space to go evergreen like Prowess? That could be a help to make U/G more consistently themed.

Investigate isn’t the kind of mechanic we’d make evergreen.

Flash forward five years from now: everyone reposts this answer when we make Investigate evergreen.

kirblar

To be enemy pair you need to have strong mechanics in the enemy pairs and weak ones (in terms of breadth/depth) in the allies (a la OG Innistrad.)

They have literally never done this in a primary expansion before despite being super duper obvious.

Ashodin

I mean I'm not saying there won't be any tilt at all, but to really qualify as an "enemy-pair set" you need to be at least as gold as, say, DTK, and I don't think that's likely.

EDIT: this is a weird answer

Maro basically saying shit can change or be totally different than what he says they would do

Look at red donate for the answer

Thinking about red's new land tapping ability.

The most powerful one-shot version is freezing all the opponent's lands, which at sorcery speed, is roughly equivalent to Silence, which is one mana. This means that they probably wouldn't print any other pure sorcery variations without an extra effect. I wouldn't be surprised if Wizards did this at 1R instead of R, though.

Tapping a set number of lands becomes much weaker as the game goes on, but it can be really strong early on.

As we all know, repeated land tapping is strong, so I don't expect we'll see that at a low cost if at all.

I'm unsure how strong land freezing is as an add-on. How strong would you guys say this is, for instance?

Mana Pillage - 2R
Sorcery
Tap up to three target lands an opponent controls. Those lands don't untap during their controller's next untap step.
Add RRR to your mana pool.

Or as a cantrip.

Card Pillage - 2R
Sorcery
Tap up to three target lands an opponent controls. Those lands don't untap during their controller's next untap step.
Draw a card.

This is a long shot, but I have a play set of Gideon, Ally of Zendikar, one of which is FOIL and I am needing a play set of Nahiri, the Harbinger.

Do any of you happen to be in for this trade?

kirblar

They screwed up not putting Investigate here. "HOW DO WE BEAT THEM" is a question to be asked- you can make the flavor work.

Daedardus

What are we watching?

Indeed, the quality is very high. Great texture on the outside for grip and the magnetic closure is very secure. Inside has a soft suede-like material that might be a bit unnecessary, but really adds to the high end feel. You made a great choice.

I got the non-Xenoskin deck box first but it doesn't come with the fiber lining. Their whole product range seems great though, they knew there was a market in high quality deck boxes and they rightfully exploited that.

kirblar

i distinctively remember dtk-dtk-frf wasn't looked upon favourably

and neither was frf-ktk-ktk now that i think about it
FRF ended up way too splashable with its good rare cards due to the position it was in and warped both DTK and KTK in unhealthy ways because of it.

You could do a FRF type set. But doing it with Wedge>Allied caused problems.

Firemind

edm-edm-soi has its own issues though. without clues in edm, cards that care about clues get a lot worse. also i'll have to see if rise from the tides is still a reliable draft strategy with only one pack. i'm guessing it's not. as bad as dark ascension was, at least inn-inn-dka didn't invalidate spider spawning and burning vengeance.

edm-edm-soi has its own issues though. without clues in edm, cards that care about clues get a lot worse. also i'll have to see if rise from the tides is still a reliable draft strategy with only one pack. i'm guessing it's not. at least inn-inn-dka didn't invalidate spider spawning and burning vengeance.

EMN gives you a lot of spellslinger incentives, more in a turtle up with creatures way though.

Sigh... just looked through my speculation binder. I've lost money on SoI Jace, Ad Nauseum (bought when Eldrazi Winter started), Descendants' Path (actually just broke even here), and Flagstones of Trokair because I waited too long. I also sold my City of Traitors like a month and a half ago before it blew up again.

I am clearly not very good at this

Edit: Whoa! I actually still have the City! That wipes away all the other losses and then some. Neat

Firemind

pingers that can only target players don't work. they never worked unless they're one mana like goblin fireslinger. and dealing one damage for every spell really isn't much.

pingers that can only target players don't work. they never worked unless they're one mana like goblin fireslinger. and dealing one damage for every spell really isn't much.

Nettle drone was an allstar in BFZ (it rewarded developing the board though), it could trade up contrary to the pingers but the pingers can chump better. Also gonna be much easier to get multiples of it, considering it's awful in pretty much every other archetype

Wichu

Nettle drone was an allstar in BFZ (it rewarded developing the board though), it could trade up contrary to the pingers but the pingers can chump better. Also gonna be much easier to get multiples off.

I remember wombo-comboing with Nettle Drone at the OGW 2HG prerelease. Nettle Drone, copy it with Mirrorpool, untap, and cast an Eldrazi to deal 8 total in one turn for the win.

I should play 2HG more.

Firemind

hahahahaha i just got totally rekt by t1 bazaar of baghdad t2 reanimate iona

it's the first time i've seen a nonblue reanimator deck in cube. i didn't even know entomb could fetch unburial rites. amazing.

hahahahaha i just got totally rekt by t1 bazaar of baghdad t2 reanimate iona

it's the first time i've seen a nonblue reanimator deck in cube. i didn't even know entomb could fetch unburial rites. amazing.

I've spent many a day on the side of your opponent. Discard outlets are generally the make or break point for a good limited reanimator deck, Lion's Eye Diamond with Living Death is my personal favorite. Also, Iona is good but people play 4 color insanity all the time so it doesn't always win the game on the spot like it does in constructed.

Yeef

Nettle Drone and Lobber Crew were both solid in their respective draft formats. Vent Sentinel was also great in Conspiracy.

To be fair Vent Sentinel is closer to isochron scepter than a pinger. Not really pinging when you're doing 3+ damage a turn. Then again I'm used to him in ROE.

Hey everyone, looking for some advice.

I'm a pretty casual player, usually only jumping in during a prerelease. So I wasn't able to hit up the Innistrad prerelease but I will be hitting this one up. What does every think is the best idea to be prepared before the prerelease? Just to do some sealed generators and know the cards? Wondering if there is any good combos to watch out for from Innistrad and what not. Thanks!

Hey everyone, looking for some advice.

I'm a pretty casual player, usually only jumping in during a prerelease. So I wasn't able to hit up the Innistrad prerelease but I will be hitting this one up. What does every think is the best idea to be prepared before the prerelease? Just to do some sealed generators and know the cards? Wondering if there is any good combos to watch out for from Innistrad and what not. Thanks!

If you want to prepare, Luis Scott-Vargas goes through every card and rates it for Limited in the week leading up to the prerelease. Those articles will surely be linked when they appear. Here are the ones for SOI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom