• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other potential takeaway from this is that these do actually represent the 2017 Fall set but the set names are still under consideration or had even already changed before today, so it might wind up being clearly the same vibe but with different names attached when they actually reveal it in like February.

Wulfric

I was totally convinced we would have a return block after Amonkhet. I feel like the name of the set can still change though. Warlords of Tarkir was trademarked until Blizzard announced they're own time travel expansion after all.

I wonder who had the bright idea to post those images in the survey. They had to know it would cause a fervor, be it a placeholder or not.

cuc

Yeah, this actually strikes me as a pretty odd branding choice. Aztlan is the (semi-mythic) historical homeland of the Aztec people (and therefore also the modern Mexican people) which is popularly seen as covering the southwest of the US and northern Mexico.
The Mesoamerican counterpart culture in the Dominions strategy game series is called "Mictlan". "Atlazan" is a bit harder to remember.

Bandini

Playing against Rack in Modern always feels challenging and forces a lot of tough decisions, even though I feel like I win more often than not.

I'm playing Jeskai Pyromancer featuring Bedlam Reveler lately, seems like I'm making more mistakes than with more traditional control decks. Hard to hit the right balance of applying pressure and keeping up defenses. I'm just thankful for Gitaxian Probe. It would be so much harder to plan my turns without it.

Wulfric

You know, I don't think I've ever seen a tournament organizer word their code of conduct like this. Kudos to Pastimes for spelling it out so plainly. 20 buck for draft though? Ehh... >__>

FdqqJs5.png

norm9

You know, I don't think I've ever seen a tournament organizer word their code of conduct like this. Kudos to Pastimes for spelling it out so plainly. 20 buck for draft though? Ehh... >__>

I'm curious as I;'m not a physical card player. Does behaviour like what is stated in the warning actually occurring at these events?

Wulfric

I'm curious as I;'m not a physical card player. Does behaviour like what is stated in the warning actually occurring at these events?

I've never seen it in person, but "women in gaming" articles occasionally draw out some...interesting opinions out of the community. I would also imagine "buttcrack" guy from a while back would fall under this policy. The fact that people actually cheered him on boggles my mind.

So it turns out I have some friends going to the Milwaukee GP from out of state and they asked if I can make it from Madison. Guess I'm going now this weekend lolol.

So any lighting tips for a pretty big noob? Any quick podcasts/videos/pages I can get up to speed with very quickly? I played the Kaladesh pre-release (I've only played a few pre-releases and that's the extent of my MTG play), but I've never done a GP or anything quite serious. I'm expecting to lose every match but I think it'll be a good time regardless with friends hahaha.

"Sacrifice an orc to destroy all plains" has to be one of the weirder abilities in Magic, and that's before you get to the rest of the sentence

Wulfric

Wtf, do limited GPs usually not have streaming video coverage? You would think it's 1995 or something, because Reddit says coverage is text only this weekend.

bigkrev

Wtf, do limited GPs usually not have streaming video coverage? You would think it's 1995 or something, because Reddit says coverage is text only this weekend.

'Member last year where they literally had like 2 GPs all year that were streamed by Wizards?

I 'member.

Supast4r

spirits have no identity there's literally 4 different versions of 1/1 spirit tokens with flying and 1 more w/o flying. Spirits suck and they got a better cursecatcher.
Spirits identity is being really hard to kill. You can see this with: rattlechains, selfless spirit, wanderer, drogskull captain, spell queller, etc.

Raging River remains one of my long term favourite cards for flavour.

Crevasse, on the other hand, loses a lot of points since mountainwalk was at least a thing back then. The real winner in that cycle was Great Wall, which at printing basically read "Righteous Avengers may be blocked as if they did not have plainswalk" and even now could probably comfortably fit the list of plainswalking creatures on it.

Latest Developments mailbag
* Vehicles are being included in the design files of future sets, but it's still unclear if they'll stick around. They're waiting for the response to Aether Revolt. Power will be closer to Fleetwheel Cruiser than Smuggler's Copter.
* Adding a point of toughness to a creature is an easy way to make it just a bit stronger, but they are aware this led to Standards full of board clogs and are working to fix it.
* Aetherworks Marvel was changed during Aether Revolt, so they didn't properly test it.
* They expected white tokens decks and Saheeli to do better than they are.

Jhriad

Conquest of Power as opposed to all the...conquests of non power?

It's a conquest of POWER, man. You know, obviously it's a return of the Power Nine to Standard! Goodbye, Reserved List!

For some reason I thought I remember that when they cut back on coverage they cut most Limited GP coverage because the viewership was low as hell. After the actual drafting portion I certainly have no interest in watching the games play out.

* Vehicles are being included in the design files of future sets, but it's still unclear if they'll stick around. They're waiting for the response to Aether Revolt. Power will be closer to Fleetwheel Cruiser than Smuggler's Copter.
* Adding a point of toughness to a creature is an easy way to make it just a bit stronger, but they are aware this led to Standards full of board clogs and are working to fix it.
* Aetherworks Marvel was changed during Aether Revolt, so they didn't properly test it.

I don't find it that surprising that they had higher expectations for Saheeli. Her -2 has the potential to be extremely powerful and they probably figured there would, at minimum, be decks with her copying strong ETB effects and/or large beaters. On paper, a 3 CMC "Toss a Gearhulk at your opponent and still stick around" seems like it would be good.

bigkrev

-I don't think there is much interesting design space for Vehicles that aren't massively overpowered or boring underpowered limited cards. Considering the complexity points they eat up (summoning sick creatures can power them?), they probably should retire them except for supplemental products or a Return to Kaladesh.

-I'm glad they realize that combining their desires to make Standard a mid-range grindfest by making removal/control/aggo bad with every creature being a X/X+1 was a horrific mistake

-The fact that they made a worse Raise the Alarm and bumped it to Uncommon in a format where there are a ton of common token makers was clearly a sign they thought it was a deck. But hey, their continued goal of making standard a Mid-range grindfest was a success!

The biggest takeaway I took from the article though was his thoughts on Modern. He says that there are cards that are great in modern like Serum Visions and Abrupt Decay, and even BANNED cards like Splinter Twin they wouldn't be opposed to putting back in standard. He also says that they would probably only do reactive card modern reprints instead of proactive card reprints- "if a threat is good enough to see play in Modern, it's probably too powerful for Standard"

El Topo

I don't find it that surprising that they had higher expectations for Saheeli. Her -2 has the potential to be extremely powerful and they probably figured there would, at minimum, be decks with her copying strong ETB effects and/or large beaters. On paper, a 3 CMC "Toss a Gearhulk at your opponent and still stick around" seems like it would be good.

Requires too much setup and without it the card is just not efficient enough. At least Lilliana protects herself and generates card advantage.

bigkrev

Vehicles: need to have potatoes put in their exhaust pipes by Chandra.

It's super fitting the time they try to push and make an absolutely busted Red Planeswalker, they put it in a set filled with things that can easily kill her and she not only can't interact with them, but they literally make the color's only shatter effects cost 4 mana (Demolish, Ruinous Gremlin) instead of the 1 or 2 mana they usually cost just to make it even harder for them to combat the Copters

OnPoint

It's super fitting the time they try to push and make an absolutely busted Red Planeswalker, they put it in a set filled with things that can easily kill her and she not only can't interact with them, but they literally make the color's only shatter effects cost 4 mana (Demolish, Ruinous Gremlin) instead of the 1 or 2 mana they usually cost just to make it even harder for them to combat the Copters
Hm speaking of Copter, will it see play in Modern affinity at some point I wonder?

Requires too much setup and without it the card is just not efficient enough. At least Lilliana protects herself and generates card advantage.

I mean, I know why she doesn't work out like that. I'm talking about how they were probably thinking about her. I assume they pictured a Standard with more stall and durdling than it already has or something given they clearly expected more from tokens.

kirblar

That not a problem with vehicles. Thats a problem with Design and Development.
It was working fine prior to vehicles. (for the most part) - they want large threats being played, and crapping up removal's a way to make that happen.

Artifacts that only turn into critters during your opponent's turn are a problem because they dodge sorcery-speed critter removal. That's not good when you're trying to encourage large threats.

It feels like the complaint about vehicles being hard to interact with is more a complaint about the current mindset at Wizards that seems to feel that Standard needs to be all about creatures with permission/removal/hate/card draw/etc. being necessary evils they will reluctantly print because even they realize the game needs them.

kirblar

It feels like the complaint about vehicles being hard to interact with is more a complaint about the current mindset at Wizards that seems to feel that Standard needs to be all about creatures with permission/removal/hate/card draw/etc. being necessary evils they will reluctantly print because even they realize the game needs them.
It's not. They're just exacerbated by that design decision (that I don't have a problem with.)

I played with Chimeric Idol. It was not fun. Vehicles are not fun. I don't think that is an accident, they're just deliberately non-interactive.

Hero

It's not. They're just exacerbated by that design decision (that I don't have a problem with.)

I played with Chimeric Idol. It was not fun. Vehicles are not fun. I don't think that is an accident, they're just deliberately non-interactive.

Yeah. It'd be one thing if the creatures couldn't crew if they had summoning sickness but being able to drop a dude and activate a vehicle is dumb.

I mean, I agree they'd be less of an issue if, say, they were always creatures but couldn't attack or block without the crew cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom