• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

That'll be a lot of pyramids in a row.

Edit: And since I hit new page:

SaffronOlive just retweeted this:

CzLgdhKWIAAocO8.jpg

Anyone recognize any of that art?

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Yeah, definitely seems like Atlantis mythology mashed together with Aztec culture.

bigkrev

"Conquest of Power" is such a terrible, generic name for a set. It's not "Dragon's Maze" bad, but it's cutting it close

aidan

Do they just come forward now and do the announcement day early or do they let this linger for months?

They came out with an official announcement of the recently leaked cards, so I could see them doing something similar with this leak.

Ashodin

Wow YEAH that's a HUGE fuck up leak if true. Gimme underwater plane if it's Atlantis-based though!

Also, looks like I was right - Nicol Bolas won't be on the plane until Hour of Devastation, presumably returning when his trials have created a planeswalker and he wants the spark for more power.

Time Sieve buyout

Used in Breya's EDH deck. You can infinite turn combo with it.

jph139

Yeah, Atzalan is 100% Mesoamerican in style - you can even see a big Mayan calendar at the top of the packaging. Which is awesome and something I've wanted for a long time. Not sure where people are getting the Atlantis stuff - I mean I guess one of the boosters has a merfolk-y looking person?

Wow YEAH that's a HUGE fuck up leak if true. Gimme underwater plane if it's Atlantis-based though!

Also, looks like I was right - Nicol Bolas won't be on the plane until Hour of Devastation, presumably returning when his trials have created a planeswalker and he wants the spark for more power.

Used in Breya's EDH deck. You can infinite turn combo with it.

I think that, as a general rule, any seemingly inexplicable buyout of an older card should be assumed to originate from EDH until demonstrated otherwise.

Ashodin

Got my General's Kabuto and Ancient Den in the mail today. Just still waiting for my Samurai, come on TCG Player, goddamn.

I think Atlazan is based off Aztlan, which is a place in Aztec mythology.

Yeah, this actually strikes me as a pretty odd branding choice. Aztlan is the (semi-mythic) historical homeland of the Aztec people (and therefore also the modern Mexican people) which is popularly seen as covering the southwest of the US and northern Mexico. It's also for decades been used heavily by the Chicano movement as a stand-in for the population of ethnic Mexicans "in exile" in the US or the future independent state they believe should be annexed from US lands. Given how this name would be constantly, constantly misspelled by players, picking something that is gonna lead people into political content that way seems like a mistake.

(It's also the name of some guy's homebrew D&D setting, dunno how much impact that would have on trademark considerations.)

Then again very specifically we're not seeing an announced product here so those names could even change in the six-ish months before they're scheduled to be formally announced.

Yeah, Atzalan is 100% Mesoamerican in style - you can even see a big Mayan calendar at the top of the packaging. Which is awesome and something I've wanted for a long time. Not sure where people are getting the Atlantis stuff - I mean I guess one of the boosters has a merfolk-y looking person?

You look at this specific image and the very first thing you notice is a sea-green pack design with a merfolk and a name that's phonetically and visually similar to "Atlantis." It's an obvious conclusion to draw, just not one that seems supported by the rest of the available info.

One of my gaming group members has been hard pushing for the rest of us to get into Magic.

Made respect to Magic fans, but for the same reason I don't get into Warhammer, I don't get into Magic. The cost blackhole. With Magic, you especially have that slippery side as new expansions come out. I guess that's why I prefer lcgs over tcgs.

Still, I do admire the card art. For me, the art is the most important part of a tcg, since I don't really play with rules, and I think that is where a lot of games go awry.

I would love to learn more about magic lore though. I view Magic as sort of a "cousin". I'm aware of its presense since I'm a dnd fan, but i don't really follow it.

Santiako

One of my gaming group members has been hard pushing for the rest of us to get into Magic.

Made respect to Magic fans, but for the same reason I don't get into Warhammer, I don't get into Magic. The cost blackhole. With Magic, you especially have that slippery side as new expansions come out. I guess that's why I prefer lcgs over tcgs.

Still, I do admire the card art. For me, the art is the most important part of a tcg, since I don't really play with rules, and I think that is where a lot of games go awry.

I would love to learn more about magic lore though. I view Magic as sort of a "cousin". I'm aware of its presense since I'm a dnd fan, but i don't really follow it.

You can buy some preconstructed decks (the Commander ones are excellent) and just use those (no need to buy more cards or upgrade them at all), Magic doesn't have to be a money sink (even if it is for most people).

Ashodin

Can I recommend your playgroup get into EDH? It's super easy to understand and much less cost prohibitive. Plus nothing if ever rotates or gets banned.

Hour of Destruction is pretty bad too, but at least it's got the ominous tones going for it
It's Hour of Devastation, not Destruction.

And considering Bolas is on the art, I'm fully expecting HoD to have Bolas unleashing Apophis-lite on the plane. You don't go to Egypt Plane, have a set called Hour of Devastation, and then don't use Apophis. It'd be like naming a set based on Theros "Nostos of the Fallen"(I know this name is crap) and not having the set involve Gideon returning to Theros/Elspeth escaping the Underworld, or a set based on Tarkir called "Khanslaught" that doesn't involve straight up war between the remnants of the Khans and the Dragons.

bigkrev

@wizards_mtg : "Yes, these images are from real a survey of ours, but the survey was made to test packaging design concepts--not test actual packaging."

Wulfric

Umm, since Amonkhet is an actual thing, does that mean Atlazan is a real thing? The artwork seems to be unique to this image.

And what's the difference between "packaging design concepts" and "actual packaging"? It's the exact same design as in stores right now just with new color schemes/artwork. I can see Conquest of Power being a real name. It's so cheesy.

So many questions... unfortunate timing as well with Aether Revolt still on the way.

Conquest of Power as a name and the font on Atlazan make it possible they aren't lying.

What possible thing could they be surveying about here that requires them to create fake sets (using real, unpublished art) to examine? The packaging in the picture isn't new or interesting in some way that might justify it -- like, if they decided to try out horizontal boosters I could see making up some BS set so that people aren't mentally comparing to their memories of how a set actually looked, but for this it just doesn't smell right.

Like if I were commissioning this study and wanted to test packaging concepts with realistic but non-spoilery content, I'd come up with names that fit but give nothing away and are obviously somewhat absurd (like actually calling a set "Return to Return to Ravnica") and use already public non-card art used for promos, Magic Duels, story interstitials on the website, etc.

BTW, this is the moment in which I suddenly discovered his name is "Nicol" rather than "Nico" after however many years, so I guess I shouldn't put "attention to detail" as a strength next time I'm looking for a job.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah I'm sure Wizards created a bunch of fake packaging with previously unseen art, but half of them have real expansion names, but the other half are fake because reasons.

First of all that explanation doesn't pass the smell test, and second of all, if Atlazan wasn't the fall expansion they could just straight up say its not - they also don't specifically deny anything other than "this isn't necessarily the actual packaging."

aidan

Maro's going to be really excited to announce the never-before-seen new "Azatlantis" block in a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom