• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Just the way everyone is describing how consistent and easy it is during playtesting, including in this thread. I hope we aren't rotating CoCo out just to get a Standard season dominated by Masterwork/Emrakul, or as I am dubbing it, Masemraworkul

Masterwork into Ulamog is often better, especially against decks that can kill Emrakul but can't exile Ulamog, e.g. Ruinous Path decks.

Santiako

So, 6 boosters and a promo and she got

1xNissa Promo FOIL (Mythic)
1xTorrential Gearhulk MASTERPIECE (1:144 packs Mythic)
1xRashmi FOIL (Mythic)
1XTorrential Gearhulk (Mythic)

better than most full boxes

She played them all and lost anyway lololol

1xRashmi FOIL (Mythic)

Well, it turns out that when you make some awful plays you tend to lose regardless of card quality.

That was a fun match to watch.

Sorta? It was also super painful for me with how many things were done that even I knew were completely wrong.

Sorta? It was also super painful for me with how many things were done that even I knew were completely wrong.

It coming down to the wire like that was great to watch. Also, a comeback always makes for an enjoyable match to watch.

EDIT: I'm not really concerned with optimal plays and whatnot, it was just fun.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
There is nothing that drives me crazier than people on MTGO who play a land, then play a 1-drop then sit there for approximately 20 seconds without doing anything.

Tilts me immediately because it means I know my opponent is a mouth-breather who plans to sit there doing nothing after every single trigger and will use 100% of the allotted time to sideboard.

Having some frustrating losses with Aetherstorm.
Ghirapur Orrery is pretty great when you can empty your hand by turn 4 but less great when you're drawing 3 lands off of it.

I played a guy that had main deck U counter colorless spell.

It's lacking consistency. Need to find the right balance between cantrips and fast mana.
I did manage to go off turn 4 though.

I might try a UGx control deck next with rashmi for value. Maybe red for the fast lands and Chandra.

Violet_0

Banned
Not yet on Forge, it's missing cards.

thanks

has anyone done an analysis of the set for limited yet? I feel like I got a decent idea of the strenghts of the individual cards, but I'd like to see how some pros rate them. The crew 4 and 5 vehicles in particular are hard to evaluate for me, I much prefer the smaller vehicles such as the crew 2 train - but ofc, I haven't actually played with those cards yet

There is nothing that drives me crazier than people on MTGO who play a land, then play a 1-drop then sit there for approximately 20 seconds without doing anything.

Tilts me immediately because it means I know my opponent is a mouth-breather who plans to sit there doing nothing after every single trigger and will use 100% of the allotted time to sideboard.

Now you know what it's like to play Lantern Control.

thanks

has anyone done an analysis of the set for limited yet? I feel like I got a decent idea of the strenghts of the individual cards, but I'd like to see how some pros rate them. The crew 4 and 5 vehicles in particular are hard to evaluate for me, I much prefer the smaller vehicles such as the crew 2 train - but ofc, I haven't actually played with those cards yet

There will be a bunch of articles, videos, and podcasts coming out this week, but I don't think anything major has come out yet.

I don't have the kind of brain where I can give a tournament report and tell in detail all of the matchups, what I had in opening hands, etc. I don't see how some people do that...

I can barely remember the PPTQ yesterday lol

I first played against Naya Burn that was piloted by a grinder who traveled here out of state with a group. 2-1 My loss, barely losing out. I would have won next attack phase but he top decked a burn spell, and also I would have won with an earlier attack if I had used Jund Charm on my Tarmogoyf to give him two +1 counters but instead I was saving it to wipe any creature he would play which was incorrect. The game that I won was because of Kalitas.

Second match was against the Jund mirror, except he was running Grim Flayers with no Dark Confidant where I was running a more traditional Jund list with Bobs. I went 2-0 here winning both games. We found out that my Kalitas > his Huntmaster of the Fells

Third match was against Mardu Nahiri. Lingering Souls were a bitch for me but a Maelstrom Pulse wiped them out. In the end it was 2-1 my loss because of damned Elspeth, Sun's Champion. Those Terminates in my hand would have been a lot better if they were Dreadbore.

Fourth match was against Abzan midrange. More Lingering Souls and with the company of Siege Rhinos. He could block my attacks and Path my threats. Gavony Township made his dudes bigger. This was my only game that I didn't win at least one game. 2-0 my loss.

Fifth match was against Merfolk. 2-1 my win, even with getting THREE Spreading Seas used against me in one of my winning matches. I used Engineered Explosives to get rid of his two Aether Vials and he was low on lands. I kept his threats off the board and he couldn't stop my Goyf and Raging Ravine.

All in all, I admit to keeping some very sketchy hands.
And I also need to go to side boarding school.
I also played all day with a raging headache that just got worse throughout the day and by the time I left I was nearly nauseous.

Santiako

1xRashmi FOIL (Mythic)

So she also has a Verdurous Gearhulk. That had to be rigged right? , nobody is THAT lucky.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";217308411]Now you know what it's like to play Lantern Control.[/QUOTE]

People who play Lantern Control deserve to play against nothing but the slowest players.

It's usually very bad.

If you have a lot of bomby Mythics it's not the worst, but it's usually really bad to take a full turn off.

You don't have to dig for a Mythic. You can dig for one of the few copies of removal you have, because you know, Limited. You can dig for the one Fumigate you managed to open.

Particularly in Kaladesh, these games are dragging and usually decided by someone failing to topdeck a removal over the course of multiple turns. Diabolic Tutor is exactly what's needed.

You don't have to dig for a Mythic. You can dig for one of the few copies of removal you have, because you know, Limited. You can dig for the one Fumigate you managed to open.

Particularly in Kaladesh, these games are dragging and usually decided by someone failing to topdeck a removal over the course of multiple turns. Diabolic Tutor is exactly what's needed.

it's sealed and a limited pool of players. With SoI it seemed BR madness looked to be the place to be and then that didn't turn out like that at all.
If the meta is slow taking off a turn is going to be fine if it is not it probably isn't. You definitely do not want it in the main against RG beats.

Conventional wisdom is that Diabolic Tutor is a bad card. It's less bad in slower formats, but it's generally considered only marginally playable. The loss of tempo is rarely worth it. It's one of those cards that makes a big splash when it's good, but is invisible when it's bad, making it hard to evaluate. But generally speaking, if you don't play it, you'll be right more often than you'll be wrong.

Admittedly, tutoring an answer would interfere with what seems to be the dominant tempo strategy in this prerelease, which is waiting for your opponents to die of dehydration.

Angry Grimace

The reason you don't play Diabolic Tutor is because it costs 4 mana and does not affect the board. The only time I'd consider playing it is if I was running an unbeatable bomb, e.g. Karn Liberated (or Pack Rat).

You have to be very careful in limited about playing non-creatures that don't affect the board. It's why you don't typically play something like Succumb to Temptation in E-E-S limited, or build-around enchantments in most formats.

Ashodin

BME7Oc9.gif

Current list of Blade of Artifice. It's battle tested, so have fun with it.

Skysovereign with a Bone Saw is HILARIOUS lol

This is my first time having a creature base with 4 ofs. I've flirted with various counts before but this list just keeps giving and giving.

y2dvd

1xRashmi FOIL (Mythic)

Can't wait to report back all my bulk rares!

The reason you don't play Diabolic Tutor is because it costs 4 mana and does not affect the board. The only time I'd consider playing it is if I was running an unbeatable bomb, e.g. Karn Liberated (or Pack Rat).

You have to be very careful in limited about playing non-creatures that don't affect the board. It's why you don't typically play something like Succumb to Temptation in E-E-S limited, or build-around enchantments in most formats.

The other reason is that in most Limited decks the average card quality is fairly homogenous, so it's more valuable to have a card that actually does something instead of cost 4 mana to replace itself with a card that is of average quality. Additionally, adding 2BB to the cost of a card (even spread out across multiple turns) can take a B+/A- card and drop it straight down into the C range.

And certainly there can be formats where a previously unplayable card becomes great. The poster child for this is Elixir of Immortality, which was straight garbage in every set it was printed in until it became a top-tier card in M14 limited (and to be fair, M14 limited was a stupid format). But I have to be honest - I can't imagine a format where Diabolic Tutor is a great card. The format would have to be glacially slow and have a very high card quality dropoff from Rare to Uncommon to Common (and that just doesn't happen anymore).

I believe so. And I won't be shocked if they do again. But I still wanna know haha

I reckon we'll get something after PT Kaladesh. Until then they want everyone focused on the new shiny set and its masterpiece collection.

Can't wait for some four colour commanders though! Do they different colour groupings have established names?

That's all true, but given that this was casual sealed to show off the set you pretty much want to run it 110% of the time if you're playing Black. That is the reason to run it in Limited. That's why I think it was a silly comment in this context.

OnPoint

I reckon we'll get something after PT Kaladesh. Until then they want everyone focused on the new shiny set and its masterpiece collection.

Can't wait for some four colour commanders though! Do they different colour groupings have established names?
I don't believe there are official names for the four color alignments. People sometimes take to using the names of the Nephilim from the original Ravnica block, but those are not well known or widely used. Often times you'll hear people say things like Jeskai Black (UWRB), or "Four Color Retreat" if a deck has four colors. I am guessing this might change soon.

Prerelease Primer is up

TAlDtfIrNa.png

And next part of MaRo's design article for Kaladesh. Not too much we didn't already know.
* There are some random censored things of the images of whiteboards, but it's likely references to properties from other companies, not something relevant to Magic. In fact, I specifically remember that the list of vehicles had "Death Star" last time we saw it, but that's now blurred out.
* Fabricate was made in Design to tie the +1/+1 counter, tokens, and artifact themes together. It was based on Sandsteppe Outcast.
* At one point, Kaladesh had five mechanics in Design, but energy and vehicles were complex enough and took enough space that they didn't see the need for the two they dropped. Those two mechanics were good, and they're likely to show up some day.

Angry Grimace

I just lost a game because my first 4 draws were Emrakul, Ulamog, Ulamog, Emrakul.

In fairness, I think would would lose with that as your draw in any deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom