• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violet_0

Banned
got a question regarding deck building in limited - obviously there are a bunch of different factors involved, but as a general guideline, when would you play 16 instead of 17 lands?

for example, if your mana curve looks like this
QnytvGW.png

got a question regarding deck building in limited - obviously there are a bunch of different factors involved, but as a general guideline, when would you play 16 instead of 17 lands?

QnytvGW.png

When you're playing an aggressive deck that has three or less spells at four-mana and above. Also when you have a TON of ways to find/accelerate mana, but that doesn't really happen outside of Vintage Cube. Playing above 17 is more about how important it is to hit 5+ mana on turn 5+ every single game like in KTK. Basically if it isn't super obvious you're generally better off at 17.

Ashodin

QnytvGW.png

I'd play 16 mana there

your CMC is all piled around 3 and 2 mana

Your above 4 CMC cards total 8 (or near 1/4 your deck, so a small amount).

16 should be totally fine.

gpAw7gl.png

THE TURN TWO DREAM

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I've been experimenting with a few changes - I took Glimmer of Genius out in favor of Glint-Nest Crane, and I replaced Minister of Inquiries with Thriving Turtle because its better on defense and you never use the activated ability of Minister.

I also added 2 Verdurous Gearhulk to the main deck. They are decent Marvel hits and you can cast them easily without Marvel to stabilize the board with all your energy dorks turning into energy Men.

Ozigizo

Why did 9th Edition Brushland spike to $35 today? And 5th Edition to $27?

Aw you got me excited for a second. They're at 6.00 something again. :(

Edit: Oh, that's real weird. It's bouncing around. Modern tourney days are too unreliable.

I mean it's been a deck since before SCG Syracuse last month. And why those two specific editions of the card haha

Border update happened with it in 9th.

Supast4r

I mean it's been a deck since before SCG Syracuse last month. And why those two specific editions of the card haha

"Being a deck" is different from being one of the best decks in modern. Bant Eldrazi was played by the world champ BBD, the deck has had a great showing this weekend, it has had consistent results for awhile, those editions of Brushland have few copies.

OnPoint

Border update happened with it in 9th.

Just play the Ice Age original god damn it what's wrong with people

"Being a deck" is different from being one of the best decks in modern. Bant Eldrazi was played by the world champ BBD, the deck has had a great showing this weekend, it has had consistent results for awhile, those editions of Brushland have few copies.

By that logic you think it would spike after Worlds. Not saying the logic doesn't line up still, but it's still weird that it's only those two editions.

]Just play the Ice Age original god damn it what's wrong with people
[/B]

By that logic you think it would spike after Worlds. Not saying the logic doesn't line up still, but it's still weird that it's only those two editions.

My man. The Ice Age Art of Pumpkins is secretly the best art.

bigkrev

Real men play the Anthologies box set version of the card

Does anyone have a list for the UG Eldrazi deck that was shown on the SCG stream today? I missed the deck tech they did for it and just caught the very end.

The pilot was saying it's better than the Bant version for some reason or another.

I've always been curious, how does the storyline work in a card game?

Quoting myself from a few days ago:
You have cards depict storyline events and otherwise depict the environment, have story summaries included with some physical products, have it play out in the Magic Duels video game, and have online articles depicting the stories.

For example, here are some cards from Eldritch Moon depicting the main story:
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

While the story events are at higher rarities, typically, the important characters appear often in the art and flavor text of common cards.

And there are other cards that tell other stories within the world. That set in particular was able to do it through double-faced cards.
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Updates to UG Aetherworks

wJNV4X8.png

-2 Sage of Shaila's Claim
-2 Glimmer of Genius
-4 Minister of Inquiries
+2 Thriving Turtle
+4 Glint-Nest Crane
+2 Verdurous Gearhulk

The Gearhulk really helps because you can hardcast it and get a ton of value with your dorks and the Crane fetches the Masterwork.

Supast4r

Worlds isn't a normal modern/standard meta. It's an isolated meta where pros pick a bunch of safe decks rather than playing risky decks. (Hence why everyone played abzan/jund/bant Eldrazi.) Keep in mind that buyouts happen when: there is super low supply of something so it's easy to buyout, when a card becomes a staple in a good deck, etc. Bant eldrazi has been tier 1 for awhile but now that it's seeing SCG coverage it makes the cards more exciting to own, hence the buyout.

Updates to HeebyGB Abbey:

kjhlkjrozym.png

• Swapped the drainers for Dryads as a better way of holding off other aggro decks.
  • Swapped the Skyships for a Durable Handicraft and an extra land. There's 20 mana sinks in this deck. You're generally fine with the 4th or 5th land.
  • Expanded the sideboard by a lot.

Angry Grimace

The more I play, the more I think it was dumb to make Aetherworks Marvel cost 4, cost only 6 energy to activate, not have a timing restriction and not have a sacrifice rider.

Ashodin

grimace are you mooshimanx

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";217230195]Updates to HeebyGB Abbey:
[/QUOTE]

I hope the humor is not lost on this

The more I play, the more I think it was dumb to make Aetherworks Marvel cost 4, cost only 6 energy to activate, not have a timing restriction and not have a sacrifice rider.

If you find another Marvel when you activate it, you get two more energy and an untapped Marvel to try again! It's dumb as hell.

I put the lifegain Puzzleknots in the board for aggro. It seemed good in one game, but I'm not sure losing the scry Puzzleknots was actually worth it.

Hero

Updates to UG Aetherworks

wJNV4X8.png

-2 Sage of Shaila's Claim
-2 Glimmer of Genius
-4 Minister of Inquiries
+2 Thriving Turtle
+4 Glint-Nest Crane
+2 Verdurous Gearhulk

The Gearhulk really helps because you can hardcast it and get a ton of value with your dorks and the Crane fetches the Masterwork.

At first I thought the turtles were dumb but then realized they get buffed by Gearhulks and then get huge butts. Liking how your deck is shaping!

At first I thought the turtles were dumb but then realized they get buffed by Gearhulks and then get huge butts. Liking how your deck is shaping!

Ideally you want 6 energy and a Marvel by turn 4. Getting 6 energy by turn 4 does require you to play some weird cards. Attune with Aether is fantastic, but the Turtles do work too.

I ran into a guy last night who was playing a UB version of this deck. He had a lot of the same blue cards, but was running Live Fast and Die Young. He also had Aether Meltdown, which seemed really bad.

I put a singleton Confiscation Coup into my sideboard for lulz. I haven't drawn it yet in any games I've sided it in. :(

Angry Grimace

If you find another Marvel when you activate it, you get two more energy and an untapped Marvel to try again! It's dumb as hell.

I put the lifegain Puzzleknots in the board for aggro. It seemed good in one game, but I'm not sure losing the scry Puzzleknots was actually worth it.

I usually board out some number of Glassblower and the Sages although maybe having those roadblocks is better.

Ultryx

Hey guys (and gals)! Really new to Magic here. I've been reading a little about the different color combinations and what they aim to do. Does anyone have suggestions on which are the easiest to play for beginners? I started playing with some friends and co-workers and we don't have limits on the cards (as in which sets they come from). We just play casually.

I was also thinking about picking up a deck builder's kit or one of the battle packs. Would you guys recommend either of those? I would potentially like to build my own decks, and I already have approximately 100 rogue cards from booster packs in the past.

Hey guys (and gals)! Really new to Magic here. I've been reading a little about the different color combinations and what they aim to do. Does anyone have suggestions on which are the easiest to play for beginners? I started playing with some friends and co-workers and we don't have limits on the cards (as in which sets they come from). We just play casually.

I was also thinking about picking up a deck builder's kit or one of the battle packs. Would you guys recommend either of those? I would potentially like to build my own decks, and I already have approximately 100 rogue cards from booster packs in the past.

Deck Builders kit's are ok, fat packs too. I play with friends mainly and bought a bunch of duel decks since they're (relatively) cheap and a decent way of picking up some good cards. As for the colours it all depends on your playstyle. I personally find white easiest to play but the best thing to do is try one of the digital games to get a feel for the colours before splashing out. I use Forge myself (because I like rules management to be handled by the program) but others in here use Cockatrice.

Currently 0-0-1 in a brewers tournament lol. Threw game 2 against Esper control because I made too many extrasoldiers by cracking clues while I had an ob emblem. my opponent ruinous path's my chump blocker with awaken and kills me for lethal when I had ormendal.

rip

Ozigizo

Red and green are good places to start. Gruul is all about beating face with big dudes. I'd recommend either or both of those colors for beginners.

I typically read that to start out using only one color (mono colored) and I would also probably say that white is easiest.
I personally started out with Green, which allows you to play some bigger creatures and do instant speed combat tricks like using Giant Growth.

The old Duels of the Planeswalkers decks were pretty fun for beginners back in the day. I'm not sure if the Duel Decks and other products they have are as fun, but they very well may be.

Fat Packs are a good way to accumulate cards.

Wulfric

Welcome to Magic!

There are a few products aimed at beginners:

Welcome Decks: These are free, 30-card decks given to local game stores to help teach newer players.

Planeswalker decks: These are fully fledged, 60-card decks meant to introduce players to a major storyline character. Also includes two booster packs. These cost about $15.

Deckbuilder's toolkit: Contains 4 recent booster packs, a themed pack of common/uncommon cards, and a basic land pack. These are good if you just want a random assortment of recent cards and a nice storage box. Costs $20.

Bundle: The Kaladesh bundle includes 10 booster packs of the latest set, a story booklet, 1 dice, and a box. These are nice if you want to jump right in with new cards, but it's not the best teaching tool for newer players due to the randomness of boosters. Costs about $40.

Also, you may want to try Magic Duels on Steam or iOS. It's free and does a good job of showing the various kinds of decks you can build.

/I am an unpaid, non-attorney spokesperson

I'll actually differ a bit and say that, at least until your collection starts getting larger, just try building decks with each colour using what cards you do have. With a small card pool the best colours(s) to learn with will often generally be "whichever you can best build a coherent deck with". Without knowing what you're working with it's hard to give a specific colour or colours. Like, while it's true white and green can be beginner friendly they won't be if you lack decent cards in those colours and/or if they're largely cards that only work well in specific deck designs.

Now 1-0-1. Played against GB delirium and won both games in about 3 minutes.

Game 1 won by going wide then nissa downtick play nissa downtick.

Game 2 won by getting to 6 creatures, sacking all but gnarlwood to ormendal on turn 5.

edit:

Archetypes I'm seeing in the brewer's tournament:

HeebyGB Abbey
GB Delirium
UG Crush
Mono White
Red-white aggro
jund emerge
esper control
mono brown
mono black eldrazi
UR Thopters

nobody on marvel yet that I can see

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";217271010]Currently 0-0-1 in a brewers tournament lol. Threw game 2 against Esper control because I made too many extrasoldiers by cracking clues while I had an ob emblem. my opponent ruinous path's my chump blocker with awaken and kills me for lethal when I had ormendal.

rip[/QUOTE]
I feel like being killed for lethal is redundant

I recommend using Magic Duels to try different color combinations to see what you like. This will also help you get the hang of deck building.

If you haven't built decks before, then I recommend getting a Duel Deck, Intro Pack, or Planeswalker Deck, and then modifying it with the other cards you have. The prebuilt decks will give you a baseline to work with.

Otherwise, look through the cards you have and see if there are any cards you really want to play. Use those as the backbone of your new deck and get other cards that work well with them. That should be a decent enough strategy for playing casually.

Toxi

Banned

A good way of thinking of color combinations is that you can use each color's individual strengths. For example, White lacks card draw but has creature removal, while Blue has card draw but lacks removal. Combine the two colors and you can use both good card draw and creature removal. There are also often multicolor cards that incentivize playing two or more colors, providing powerful effects with the restriction of only being available to that color combo.

Here are the stereotypical strategies for each combination of two colors, Keep in mind these are just what usually show up given the color's strengths; you can easily create a White and Blue aggressive deck or a Red and Green control deck with the right cards. Many people will refer to a two-color combination by a name of one of the Ravnica guilds, so I included those names in parenthesis.

White-Blue (Azorius): Defensive control of the game, utilizing card draw, high toughness creatures, reactive counterspells or removal, "Wrath" spells that kill every creature on the board, and flying creatures to keep the opponent at bay while you get closer to winning.

White-Black (Orzhov): Tends to fall into one of two strategies: Slow incremental game control using the colors' removal spells and life-loss/life-gain, or creature synergies that involve sacrificing your own creatures to wreck your foes.

White-Red (Boros): Attack attack attack. White and Red both use cheap aggressive creatures, and Red's direct damage can help finish off foes while White's removal can remove blockers.

White-Green (Selesnya): As the premier creature colors, White and Green work well for army-building with tokens and very efficient creatures. Traditionally this color combination relies less on dealing with the opponents' creatures and more on just having better creatures, but in recent years both White and Green have enough removal to be more reactive.

Blue-Black (Dimir): Defensive control of the game, much like White and Blue. However, Blue and Black tends to rely less on efficient fliers and more on killing the opponents' creatures and discarding threats from their hand.

Blue-Red (Izzet): Blue and Red have the most synergy with Sorceries and Instants, so Blue/Red decks will often take advantage of cards that let you recast, copy, enhance, redirect, or do other neat things with Sorceries and Instants. If you got a spell combo deck, it's likely Blue/Red.

Blue-Green (Simic): Lots of card draw, instant-speed creatures and spells, Hexproof creatures, etc. These two colors' strengths work together well for building constant advantage, especially in the long game.

Black-Red (Rakdos): Aggressive decks that often don't have the most efficient creatures but just mow down the opposition with creature kill, discard, and burn. This color combination is infamous for inflexibility, since Black and Reds' strengths tend to overlap and neither color can deal with Enchantments, but that doesn't stop them from dishing out some real pain.

Black-Green (Golgari): Both colors have cards that interact with the graveyard, letting you use it as a source of advantage. Beyond that, you get both Black's removal and Green's efficient creatures, along with some very powerful multicolor cards.

Green-Red (Gruul): Tends to fall into one of the following strategies: Aggressive mid-size creatures supplemented by burn spells that can easily break through defenses, or mana acceleration combined with big beats.

Maybe I should order 4 more marvels.

W/r/t Aetherstorm in Standard I've come to the conclusion I need more fast mana that either means green or finding ways to put coloured cards into my graveyard for corrupted grafstone.
The mana Lords don't really do anything for the combo.

Saffron Olive better known as Seth brewed with the red vessel as fast mana but not sure the card disadvantage makes up for the fast mana. You can't really combo off the turn you play the reservoir since you need paradoxical outcome to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom