• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Green anti sorcery instant is starting to get weird.
If green is creature focused that's fine but to be able to cantrip for literally every card type but those two is a bit ridiculous.

El Topo

From anywhere certainly seems a bit problematic, but it's a 5CC creature, so how busted could it possibly be? Nasty in Limited though.

Haines

Banned
en_uN93SD29k2.png

white vessel.

Seems bad. Not sure why I would want this.

El Topo

Seems bad. Not sure why I would want this.

Evasion is king in limited. Two 1/1s with Flying is not bad (and you can activate it at instant speed). Sure, overall it might be a bit too expensive, but it's not horrendous at first glance.
It all depends on the meta of course.

DrArchon

From anywhere certainly seems a bit problematic, but it's a 5CC creature, so how busted could it possibly be?

It's a 5 mana dude that does nothing when it enters play and eats a land every turn. I can't see it being busted at all. Playable? Sure. Expensive? It's a mythic so yeah probably. Busted? No way.

Unless some super degenerate combo is found, I think it'll be a nice midrange tank/draw engine and that's about it.

Haines

Banned
Evasion is king in limited. Two 1/1s with Flying is not bad (and you can activate it at instant speed). Sure, overall it might be a bit too expensive, but it's not horrendous.

It's 5 mana for two 1/1 fliers. It could have a use but I'm not really seeing it yet.

Deathtouch is nice in limited. I guess I get stuck on 5 lands tho at best if I draw more?

I'd play it but it doesn't seem as amazing in limited.

It is if your curve stops there. The opponent will have to deal with it sooner or later. I haven't seen a pacifism or narcolepsy in the set yet so hard removal will also remove the downside of it. A live topplegeist will fuck you up though.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
The fact it says a land going to the graveyard from anywhere gives it some shenanigans potential.

DrArchon

It is if your curve stops there. The opponent will have to deal with it sooner or later. I haven't seen a pacifism or narcolepsy in the set yet so hard removal will also remove the downside of it. A live topplegeist will fuck you up though.

They've done a really good job making the downside as minimal as possible though. Even with a Pacifism effect or something like a Topplegeist, you'll still get an extra card every turn and can play a second land, so it'll not the end of the world to have a neutered Toad on board.

Plus, we've already seen some decent sac outlets in black and we're absolutely getting more. I'd p1p1 this and grab a handful of cards that can get rid of him if need be and feel fine going into limited.

Haines

Banned

Yeah good points. If it sticks it's probably going to get a 2 for 1 I would assume huh. And green can also bounce lands back from grave in this set.

I guess that white enchantment might have a place in spirit themed limited deck

I'd have to look at the cards but i s there a spot in the phase blue can bounce it and screw you up a bit? I know there's a couple good tap cards in the set at common too but still doesn't really seem to punish him too much

siddx

It's almost certainly designed for Dredge shenanigans.

Most likely, however, I'm always more interested in the unseen shenanigans potential of cards. When someone figures out how to create tomfoolery with a card that no one saw coming and then makes a room full of players scream in inert impotent rage.

Like if someone figures out how to use the frog and sin prodder together in some gross way.

They've done a really good job making the downside as minimal as possible though. Even with a Pacifism effect or something like a Topplegeist, you'll still get an extra card every turn and can play a second land, so it'll not the end of the world to have a neutered Toad on board.

Plus, we've already seen some decent sac outlets in black and we're absolutely getting more. I'd p1p1 this and grab a handful of cards that can get rid of him if need be and feel fine going into limited.

It's the baloth null of this set at mythic. First pick and looking to splash for it.

I have been slowly planning out a black/green commander deck, and this guy fits into my gameplan perfectly. Can you imagine dredging Life from the Loam and milling three lands with this guy out? See you later, Nath of the Gilt-Leaf!

El Topo

It's 5 mana for two 1/1 fliers. It could have a use but I'm not really seeing it yet.

Depending on the deck (in Limited) I might play it. Never underestimate the use of two fliers, even if (overall) a bit expensive. I'll wait until the set is spoiled before judging a common like that.
Certainly not a Lingering Souls of course.

siddx

Depending on the deck (in Limited) I might play it. Never underestimate the use of two fliers, even if (overall) a bit expensive. I'll wait until the set is spoiled before judging a common like that.

Agreed, I've had several limited match ups that I won with a single thopter token at the right time.

DrArchon

Thank God it's not Lingering Souls, but yes I agree that for the right deck this card is perfectly fine in Limited. It's 5 mana over two turns, and the ability to have two flyers out as blockers instantly seems really nice. If you get any decent auras or equipment then I'd definitely recommend grabbing at least one of these.

Firemind

I have been slowly planning out a black/green commander deck, and this guy fits into my gameplan perfectly. Can you imagine dredging Life from the Loam and milling three lands with this guy out? See you later, Nath of the Gilt-Leaf!
lol nath of the gilt leaf is so shit

Haines

Banned
It definitely isn't pushed, but it could be okay with Spirit tribal synergy.

Oh it's 3 mana to active...thought it was 2...hm...

Yeah it could def work with spirits if you really want more. We will see!

I know there are some 2/1 fliers these could shut down but I dunno if they get out in time? I suppose so since the mana cost is broken into 2 turns if needed

kirblar

I don't expect any of the PWs to really hold value this set. Arlinn might actually be kept at a decent level because of the werewolf/flip/hard to reprint thing, but Sorin/Jace being literally the same design skeleton as Ob Nixilis makes them redundant, while Nahiri has more niche applications.

Eh.... it's slightly better than a 5-mana vanilla flyer. So let's say it's 4.5 mana.

Then let's knock off another half mana since it helps with Delirium.

So we are left with a 4 mana vanilla flyer. Playable as a 21st+ card but not much better than that IMO

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's almost certainly designed for Dredge shenanigans.

I got sad when I read "one or more"

I don't expect any of the PWs to really hold value this set. Arlinn might actually be kept at a decent level because of the werewolf/flip/hard to reprint thing, but Sorin/Jace being literally the same design skeleton as Ob Nixilis makes them redundant, while Nahiri has more niche applications.

Arlinn is card with a ton of hype in a color combo that so far doesn't look particularly good.

OnPoint

There are 18 Mythics and 59 Rares in this set btw, so if anything spikes, it's got the potential of spiking really hard.

It wouldn't be offset by it being the most opened set of all time? If it reaches that benchmark? We're not talking Baby Jace levels of spiking, are we?

kirblar

It wouldn't be offset by it being the most opened set of all time? If it reaches that benchmark? We're not talking Baby Jace levels of spiking, are we?
Normally, you have to open 121 packs to get a full set of 1M2R. In this set, it's 136 packs. So the chaff will be cheaper, and the most in-demand cards will suck up a greater amount than normal.

Be glad BabyJace isn't in this set.

OnPoint

Normally, you have to open 121 packs to get a full set of 1M2R. In this set, it's 136 packs. So the chaff will be cheaper, and the most in-demand cards will suck up a greater amount than normal.

Be glad BabyJace isn't in this set.

I'd be glad if he were printed again in ANY set. I have zero of him and would like a few. You think it's worth trading extra Snapcasters for him?

Santiako

You only draw one even if you mill 3 lands, still good though.

Haines

Banned
Uh new rare looks like a limited power house.
Forgotten Creation - 3U
Creature - Zombie Horror [rare]
Skulk
At the beginning of you upkeep, you may discard your hand. If you do, draw that many cards
"I can't remember my early creations." - Stitcher Geralf
3/3

Zombie which blue wants. Discard a hand full of lands etc. Madness for red blue. Delirium activator.

Skulk I dont like at 3 power. Don't even like the 2 power ones that much in play testing. But I'm sure it will have times it works

Jhriad

Forgotten Creation - 3U
Skulk
At the beginning of you upkeep, you may discard your hand. If you do, draw that many cards
3/3

Could be fun with Sphinx's Tutelage.

I'd love to make a standard sphinx tutelage deck. Dromoka's Command though.

First card in the set I'd say looks awful though

Forgotten Creation - 3U
Skulk
3/3

tdtJAih.png

traveler

Not Wario
Kozilek's Return seems so poor for the coming standard. (and the current one for that matter- everything is x/3!) Languish or bust at this point.

Wonder if Mindwrack Demon, Gitrog Toad, Languish, the Drownyard, and the new Vessel/Oath of Nissa could make a decent delerium midrange/control shell.

Edit: Also, judges are slowly revealing another spoiler: https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/c...s_previewing_a_card_piece_by_piece_on/d1ajzwv

Looks like a spirit. Haven't really seen a payoff for the Rattlechains deck yet, so hopefully this is something in that direction.

0av0nMv.png

Basically someone's Persona?

traveler

Not Wario
O86iJLg.png

This is the update. Looking less like spirit and more like shapeshifter.

Something along the lines of:

Ego - XUG
Creature -- Shapeshifter
You may have Ego enter the battlefield as a copy of any creature on the battlefield. If you do, Ego enters the battlefield with an additional X +1/+1 counters on it.

Might be more like XUUG or XUGG though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom