• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haines

Banned
Ooh a clone is interesting. The one in hearthstone isn't plated in the current meta except the random combo deck once in a while.

Do clones have summoning sickness in magic.

Copying your opponents limited bomb sounds fucking great.

Ooh a clone is interesting. The one in hearthstone isn't plated in the current meta except the random combo deck once in a while.

Do clones have summoning sickness in magic.

Copying your opponents limited bomb sounds fucking great.

unless the copied creature has haste yes, it copies the card not the current state of it.

red13th

I love the frog! Too bad Golgari is such a packed guild, outside of Selesnya it's the hardest one to find cuts IMO.
So excited about this set, even on week 2 they are pumping out amazing spoilers. I remember BFZ, around this time they were spoiling so much junk :lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I can't imagine the clone is just GUU. Clone as a baseline costs like 4.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They should have just printed a clue that said "It's Emrakul."

OnPoint

Oh this is cool!

Let's see...

ovaltine.gif

OK, I really do think it's cool though

Angry Grimace

Final card is:

Altered Ego
X2GU
Creature - Shapeshifter

Altered Ego can't be countered.

You may have ~ enter the battlefield as a copy of any creature on the battlefield, except it enters the battlefield with an additional X +1/+1 counters on it.
0/0

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Unless my overly tired brain is reading that wrong, that seems pretty damn good.

Crocodile

Great clone, or greatest clone? It seems pretty dang good.

Top 5 Clones
1) Phantasmal Image
2) Phyrexian Metamorph
3) Dack's Duplicate
4) Sakashima's Student
5) Vesuvan Shapeshifter

Altered Ego is maybe 6th? Progenitor Mimic and Evil Twin probably come after that. Sakashima is also ok but that card never left a strong impression on me. Clever Imposter is flexible but I never found I wanted to clone non-creatures enough to justify its plainness in other respects.

Angry Grimace

Vesuvan Doppleganger was the chase rare in Revised when I was a kid.

OnPoint

Top 5 Clones
1) Phantasmal Image
2) Phyrexian Metamorph
3) Dack's Duplicate
4) Sakashima's Student
5) Vesuvan Shapeshifter

Altered Ego is maybe 6th? Progenitor Mimic and Evil Twin probably come after that. Sakashima is also ok but that card never left a strong impression on me. Clever Imposter is flexible but I never found I wanted to clone non-creatures enough to justify its plainness in other respects.

Yeah, good list.

Vesuvan Doppleganger was the chase rare in Revised when I was a kid.

I was so happy to have it... and then it got stolen along with a pile of my cards. A lot of my Revised stuff went, but I didn't yet have anything valuable so it's kind of funny in hindsight how upset I was over losing my Sengir Vampires.

Top 5 Clones
1) Phantasmal Image
2) Phyrexian Metamorph
3) Dack's Duplicate
4) Sakashima's Student
5) Vesuvan Shapeshifter

I mean, Shapeshifter has won at least one GP, right? Dack's Duplicate and Sakishima's Student don't get played outside of EDH/Cube.

Haines

Banned
That card is just great. One of my fav's so far.

Limited wise, copy best creature in field by turn 5 and on seems pretty great. I'd be glad to hold onto it til like turn 7 even. Unless this meta is too fast for turn 7

Jhriad

I'd still rather have Clever Impersonator in my EDH deck than most of those just for the added utility of being able to copy any nonland permanent.

Angry Grimace

Yeah, good list.

I was so happy to have it... and then it got stolen along with a pile of my cards. A lot of my Revised stuff went, but I didn't yet have anything valuable so it's kind of funny in hindsight how upset I was over losing my Sengir Vampires.

When I got back into Magic briefly during ~Ravnica, the first things I did:

Hop on eBay and buy Fork, Vesuvan Doppelganger, Taiga and (for some reason) Stomping Ground. They just sat there for 10 years until I made Commander decks (I sold the Taigas).

So, over-under on Vessel of Paramnesia originally having been a Memory Lapse effect, but changed after the art came in? I don't think Wizards would just unintentionally reference such famous card art.

Magic Story - Sacrifice
* The teenage daughter of a monster hunter (who is off elsewhere), Mia, is hearing rumors of the Giltrog in the lake, but she doesn't believe it. One of the main rules of monster hunting is that most of the time, people are panicking over nothing, and you need actual evidence of a monster before acting.
* Mia finds that her fence was wrecked at one point and one of her sheep is missing.
* One of the town elders and his son, Wilbur, who is friends with Mia, claim to have seen the toad. The lake is closed off and the town goes on alert. Due to the cold, everyone is wearing hooded cloaks.
* Mia is at first unwilling to write to her father for help, since she worries about bothering him, but eventually does.
* As time passes and winter arrives, mail stops coming in, and rumors fly that the mailman was eaten. The arrival of winter also means that the path into and out of town is hard to traverse.
* Mia's continued disbelief in the Giltrog causes Wilbur to become upset at her, especially as Mia starts to dip into the large amount of money her father left her to pay for things like her fence, instead of also joining in on keeping watch.
* One day, Mia finds that all of her sheep have been slaughtered and she finds tracks of a monster. Following them, she finds that they suddenly stop, and a bit further from there, there are cart tracks and human footprints. The monster was a fake, and her sheep were killed by humans.
* She follows the tracks to the lake, where her butchered sheep are loaded onto a boat by townspeople, still wearing their hooded cloaks (with hoods over their heads).
* Mia sneaks onto the boat, which goes to the middle of the lake. The people start tossing the lamb chunks--taken from a nonbeliever--into the lake.
* Mia confronts the townspeople, who are all people she knows, including Wilbur and his father.
* The Giltrog appears, and Mia scoffs at how they're worshiping a giant frog.
* The Giltrog is upset and starts eating everyone with its long tongue. The cultists realize they have to sacrifice Mia herself and start attacking her, but the frog keeps eating them as they do this. Wilbur comes to her rescue.
* The Giltrog destroys parts of the boat and eventually climbs onto it. Mia and Wilbur jump into the lake to escape and manage to get onto land, but they are too exhausted and cold to do anything after. The frog follows them, and unable to do anything else, Mia looks into its eyes and gets Hypnotoad'd. She kills Wilbur and offers him to the Giltrog, who is satisfied and leaves.
* In spring, it's revealed that mail just got delayed due to snow on the path into town, and the mailman comes, along with a letter from Mia's father's organization. Mia welcomes the mailman to her house and offers to show him the lake.

Crocodile

I mean, Shapeshifter has won at least one GP, right? Dack's Duplicate and Sakishima's Student don't get played outside of EDH/Cube.

Dack's Duplicate and Sakishima's Student aren't legal in any constructed format aside from Legacy/Vintage. If they were ever Standard legal they 100% would have won GPs. Maybe they could have had a random appearance in a successful Modern list too.

I loved Phantasmal Image. It was how my Standard u/r Delver deck dealt with Thrun, thanks to the previous Legend Rule. Now the Images are in my u/b zombie deck to serve as additional Diregraf Captains or Geralf's Messengers.

siddx

I was always a phyrexian metamoprh whore. I used to put a playset in almost every deck I ran. Whether I was copying swords or goyfs or legends, both my own or my opponents. They put in so much work for me and ruined so many opponents days.

I used to take great joy in metamorphing swords of war and peace or feast and famine and sticking them on birds of paradise to swing with evasion on turn 4 for all the damage and hate you can imagine. The idea of a bird carrying two sword into battle always made me giggle like a child as my opponents rage scooped.

OnPoint

I was always a phyrexian metamoprh whore. I used to put a playset in almost every deck I ran. Whether I was copying swords or goyfs or legends, both my own or my opponents. They put in so much work for me and ruined so many opponents days.

I used to take great joy in metamorphing swords of war and peace or feast and famine and sticking them on birds of paradise to swing with evasion on turn 4 for all the damage and hate you can imagine. The idea of a bird carrying two sword into battle always made me giggle like a child as my opponents rage scooped.

Depending on the deck?

Turn 3: Batterskull
Turn 4: Metamorph, copy Batterskull​

So good.

red13th

My planned cube additions so far:

Archangel Avacyn (out: Secure the Wastes)
Heir of Falkenrath (out: Blood-Chin Rager)
Asylum Visitor (out: Pain Seer)
Falkenrath Gorger (out: Monastery Swiftspear)
Sin Prodder (out: Goblin Heelcutter)
Anguished Unmaking (out: Ayli)
Tireless Tracker (out: Woodland Wanderer) - not sure about this one

VERY excited about this set even if all they spoil from now on is limited crap.

yeah Metamorph is a beast.

siddx

Depending on the deck?

Turn 3: Batterskull
Turn 4: Metamorph, copy Batterskull​

So good.

Yessir, my favorite asshole casual deck that "won things it shouldn't have against decks that should have been much better than it" was a simple green ramp with metamorphs, swords, batterskulls, and wurmcoil engines.

Angry Grimace

So, over-under on Vessel of Paramnesia originally having been a Memory Lapse effect, but changed after the art came in? I don't think Wizards would just unintentionally reference such famous card art.

Magic Story - Sacrifice
* The teenage daughter of a monster hunter (who is off elsewhere), Mia, is hearing rumors of the Giltrog in the lake, but she doesn't believe it. One of the main rules of monster hunting is that most of the time, people are panicking over nothing, and you need actual evidence of a monster before acting.
* Mia finds that her fence was wrecked at one point and one of her sheep is missing.
* One of the town elders and his son, Wilbur, who is friends with Mia, claim to have seen the toad. The lake is closed off and the town goes on alert. Due to the cold, everyone is wearing hooded cloaks.
* Mia is at first unwilling to write to her father for help, since she worries about bothering him, but eventually does.
* As time passes and winter arrives, mail stops coming in, and rumors fly that the mailman was eaten. The arrival of winter also means that the path into and out of town is hard to traverse.
* Mia's continued disbelief in the Giltrog causes Wilbur to become upset at her, especially as Mia starts to dip into the large amount of money her father left her to pay for things like her fence, instead of also joining in on keeping watch.
* One day, Mia finds that all of her sheep have been slaughtered and she finds tracks of a monster. Following them, she finds that they suddenly stop, and a bit further from there, there are cart tracks and human footprints. The monster was a fake, and her sheep were killed by humans.
* She follows the tracks to the lake, where her butchered sheep are loaded onto a boat by townspeople, still wearing their hooded cloaks (with hoods over their heads).
* Mia sneaks onto the boat, which goes to the middle of the lake. The people start tossing the lamb chunks--taken from a nonbeliever--into the lake.
* Mia confronts the townspeople, who are all people she knows, including Wilbur and his father.
* The Giltrog appears, and Mia scoffs at how they're worshiping a giant frog.
* The Giltrog is upset and starts eating everyone with its long tongue. The cultists realize they have to sacrifice Mia herself and start attacking her, but the frog keeps eating them as they do this. Wilbur comes to her rescue.
* The Giltrog destroys parts of the boat and eventually climbs onto it. Mia and Wilbur jump into the lake to escape and manage to get onto land, but they are too exhausted and cold to do anything after. The frog follows them, and unable to do anything else, Mia looks into its eyes and gets Hypnotoad'd. She kills Wilbur and offers him to the Giltrog, who is satisfied and leaves.
* In spring, it's revealed that mail just got delayed due to snow on the path into town, and the mailman comes, along with a letter from Mia's father's organization. Mia welcomes the mailman to her house and offers to show him the lake.

The Gitrog Toad is literally just Hypnotoad but the card doesn't reflect it.

I'm guessing that making it a Hypnotoad reference was totally after the fact.

OnPoint

Yessir, my favorite asshole casual deck that "won things it shouldn't have against decks that should have been much better than it" was a simple green ramp with metamorphs, swords, batterskulls, and wurmcoil engines.

Hell yes! I loved the heck out of that deck. It was so fun to pilot.

Angry Grimace

Birds carrying Swords is the theme of the most oppressive Standard deck in the last decade

RoboRosewater managed to come up with another nifty, unique effect (once you translate its tortured language) that I think would be an interesting card:

CeQQ2XYUYAA3IYC.jpg

Tamiyo's changing Journal number was to point to the hidden clue message: https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/4bm66i/soi_puzzle_clue_token_flavor_texts/

Yeah, I'm very impressed by this now that the internet has figured it out -- love that it's a reference back to previous flavor text, love that it's spread across the six clue tokens, love that it means nothing to you if you don't have all the information but is totally unambiguous if you do. The mystery game of the creative and marketing team has been on point.

(Also, haters to the left.)

RoboRosewater managed to come up with another nifty, unique effect (once you translate its tortured language) that I think would be an interesting card:

CeQQ2XYUYAA3IYC.jpg

It's an interesting concept that could work with some tweaking. Maybe exiling it when it hits the graveyard after a player other than the owner has cast it or otherwise making it so the owner isn't completely locked out while their opponents can trigger it all day.

Probably something like exiling the card when cast from the graveyard and, if a permanent, creating a token copy may be the way to go.

Alternatively, you could have it go into exile when it would go the graveyard from play or after it was cast (one or the other but not both to keep it fairly clean from a rules standpoint) and then allow any player except the last controller/caster be able to cast it.

I'm putting way too much effort into thinking about this.

DrArchon

Seems very expensive, but limited playable.

It's got the words "destroy target creature" in it, so yeah I'll agree it's certainly limited playable. I guess whether or not you pick it sooner or later just depends on how fast limited is gonna be.

Well, whoever grabs it for something like mono-W or RW is gonna appreciate the card draw at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom