• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

Teran

I have to admit, because MM is my favourite game, having them make a bunch of changes irks me, especially when it lowers the difficulty for no good reason. It just feels like they're taking away the reward for my game knowledge. Not needing to roll jump/bunny hood jump for some things, for example, but I'm not going to mention the other stuff to avoid spoilers etc.

dolabla

The games camera is so good I forget I have the nub but I'm only. 1 dungeon in.

It's the stable 3d that changes everything. You play so much more comfortable now.

I jumped on the N3ds hype train on Friday. Honestly you don't need the nub to work the camera any better than the other options the game gives you. It is just an added feature.

Still go get a N3ds!!!

Thanks for the responses!

I guess it will be best to just hold off on playing to see also if I want to play in the new and improved 3D. I haven't actually tried a New 3DS yet.

Blue-kun

Alright, finally got through Great Bay, Fairy I missed earlier was in a really obvious place as expected, but count on me to not search properly. Still, as much as I love this remake, it'd seem everything I'm less than in love about is related to the Zoras, haha. First the new swimming mechanic, and now the Gyorg battle. Not really a fan of the new part underwater, kinda drags and the camera can be really annoying sometimes if you're moving around too much.

Oh well, onwards to Ikana, my favourite area of the game, with what is in my opinion the best dungeon of the series! I'm hyped :v

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Is there anything you can only do when Goron Village is in spring? I'm waiting for my sword to be made.

How far are you into the game?
It needs to be spring to complete the Frog Choir quest, but you also need to have progressed a ways into Great Bay Temple to complete that one. In addition, there's a Piece of Heart that can only be obtained in spring, but you need the Zora Mask to get to it.

I really don't think this is the case. Are you sure?

Yes. I've compared the N64 and 3DS versions side-by-side.

hitgirl

How far are you into the game?
It needs to be spring to complete the Frog Choir quest, but you also need to have progressed a ways into Great Bay Temple to complete that one. In addition, there's a Piece of Heart that can only be obtained in spring, but you need the Zora Mask to get to it.

Yes. I've compared the N64 and 3DS versions side-by-side.

Gotcha, not that far yet. Is there anything I can do with this extra powder keg? I'm guessing I'll loose it when I restart week.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Huh, and you're not playing a PAL version of the N64 version per chance?

No. NTSC version for both. Time passes at virtually identical speeds without the Inverted Song of Time in effect, but with it in effect, it passes significantly faster in the 3DS version than the N64 version.

If I use the Song of Time after defeating a temple, do I have to do the whole entire thing all over again to get to the boss or is the pathway to the boss already open?

Blue-kun

If I use the Song of Time after defeating a temple, do I have to do the whole entire thing all over again to get to the boss or is the pathway to the boss already open?

That mark on the floor at the entrance lits up and you can warp directly into the boss room. Then it's just a matter of defeating the boss(es).

Grexeno

After beating the boss of a temple you can warp directly to the fight on all future visits.

JerkShep

There's a teleport in the first room that lets you warp directly to the boss.

Finished Ikana and Stone Tower Temple and most of the sidequests. Just to be sure, there are 23 masks + fierce diety right?

After beating the boss of a temple you can warp directly to the fight on all future visits.

That mark on the floor at the entrance lits up and you can warp directly into the boss room. Then it's just a matter of defeating the boss(es).

There's a teleport in the first room that lets you warp directly to the boss.

Finished Ikana and Stone Tower Temple and most of the sidequests. Just to be sure, there are 23 masks + fierce diety right?
Thanks. I have to sharpen my sword but have to defeat Goht again. Was afraid that it was going to make me go through all that again.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Gotcha, not that far yet. Is there anything I can do with this extra powder keg? I'm guessing I'll loose it when I restart week.

On your current cycle? No, not really. You will need another soon, but you have to go back in time first (unless it's still daytime on Day 1 in your game). Now that you're certified, though, you can just buy another one at the Bomb Shop in Clock Town.

Anyone else's camera kinda freak out on them when you first start moving the C-Stick on a New 3DS XL?

If I'm just running around normally for a little while and then go to move the camera to the left or right around a corner, I find that the game camera spazzes out for a fraction of a second before everything is perfectly fine. It's fine after that and I can look all around without any issue, and it's fine when the camera is doing its own thing and I use the L-Shoulder to center, but it seems like sometimes the transition between those two is a little jerky for a tiny moment.

It's not a big deal or anything, it's just a little quirk I've noticed. I haven't tried any other c-stick compatible games yet to test if it's my hardware (I think I only own Resident Evil Revelations which I heard can use it).

Yeh I get that as well.

Biker19

Banned
How is the FPS in this game (as well as Ocarina of Time) without 3D? I plan on picking both of them up (as well as ALBW) soon.

I remember that both of those games were definitely below 30 FPS in the N64 version.

Oh man, I hated
the Twinmold fight

They dragged out the second half way too long for me to enjoy it. That was ridiculous.

Edit: Seriously, fuck this fight. By far the worst change in MM3D imo.

Crayolan

I'm around the point where I stopped playing this game last time, Ikana. Which means the game is pretty much blind for me now. Really excited. I think it's also solidified as my favourite Zelda game, now.

Ikana is the best area in the game and the dungeon is the best in the series. You're in for a treat.

Kriken

Got back to playing and beat the 2nd dungeon. Overall liked the boss changes, still felt similar to what made me like it in the original

Edit: note to self, turn in the fairies

Neiteio

Treasure Chest Shop owner and her love for throbbing rock-hard
goron
:

wvjrp.jpg

Also, I lol'd when the rescued monkey said, "I still have a bad feeling about something." Oh, I dunno, maybe it's this?

53k17.jpg

Note: All screens look superior in 3D.

I've been enjoying revisiting the game...I wish it felt fresher, seeing as I played this game to death...but it's still an incredible game.
Looks great, plays really well with the gyroscope for aiming and the touch screen for navigation and inventory.
I was really concerned about the bomber's notebook, but it's actually a great change and it's really useful now.
Although I'm not a fan of Deku Link's momentum change, he does feel nicer to control this time around and he's seemingly more useful in general (in combat)
Goron Link's change is minor and works fine enough. It's mostly a change done for New 3DS owners so they can control the camera while Goron Link is moving.
Still haven't gone to Zora Link so we'll see how that fairs.
I love the sense of freedom this game has and how there's so much stuff to do and it's mostly all optional. You can find all of this by yourself but there's also a lot of help you can get from the bomber kids, shiekah stones, and the bomber notebook.
So, yeah, so far so good on this port/remake.
This game really makes me long for a spiritual successor to the game. I want to see what they can do with modern tech and game design.
Edit:
The bosses are pretty different now...Not sure how I feel about the first one...but the snowhead boss is an improvement, IMO.

Neiteio

The new Bomber's Notebook is fantastic. Feels like completing a pokedex. I'm looking forward to 100%-ing it and then taking the time to read the descriptions for each event, sub-event and character. I imagine it will be very satisfying to review all of the people helped, events completed and items collected. I'm only 30% through the game and my notebook is already bursting with entries, and I know there are many more yet to be added. Good stuff! :-D

Neiteio

Yo the new Twinmold fight is nuts!
Gah, why am I busy writing stories when I could be trying to reach this amazing Twinmold fight I keep hearing about. :-\

Also, I just learned there's a new side-quest and it earns you a seventh bottle (before you could only get six). :-O

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Snowhead beat! Really didn't give me much trouble actually, I enjoyed it. Floating to that one fairy as deku Link was a really good idea, whoever said it. I wonder if that's the "intended" way to do it.

I.. still only have one bottle though. With snowhead down tho I can do a whole ton of stuff. Time for some serious questin!

Dad

I can't believe how bad
the Goron dungeon inside the moon
was. The collision detection didn't even work half of the time. It's such a blemish on the rest of the games.
Beneath the Well was pretty bad too.

Dad

14/15 Fairies found in Woodfall Temple. Where the fuck should I begin looking for that last one? I'm stumped.

The fairy mask will have a little particle effect around it if there's a fairy still in the room with you. It's the easiest way to find the stray fairies without using a guide.

Guru-Guru

Banned
I'm surprised how much of this game I forgot. For example, about to start the Great Bay/Zora Cape stuff tonight, but I don't remember anything about it at all, except getting the Zora transformation mask. Same with a ton of the sidequests. I'm not complaining though, as it makes the game feel really fresh.

I seemed to remember Ocarina of Time a lot more vividly when I played the 3DS version.

Top Bottom