• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

Roto13

It's not hard to get that high a score no matter what aiming you're using though. Getting 50 hits with gyro isn't exactly an accomplishment over manual.

This is the pad/stick debate all over again, and even in those debates, it comes down to preferences.

"I'm really good at aiming with the circle pad" doesn't negate the objective truth that the gyro is more accurate unless you're in a moving car or have a tremor or something.

Rich!

Just got all the heart pieces. All masks, all upgrades, all items and bottles. So now I've 100% the game, yay.

...time for a three heart run.

Neiteio

Exactly. I got like 50 hits in the boat tour shooting minigame. You only need 20 to win.

It's just objectively more accurate to be able to directly control position instead of the speed at which the crosshairs move.
Yep. Moving the crosshairs with analog is slower than gyro, no matter how hard you jam the circle pad. It's just the nature of the beast. People can prefer analog, but no one can factually say it matches gyro in speed. Gyro can near-instantly relocate to any target with no need for sustained input. Just flick and you're there.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
It's not hard to get that high a score no matter what aiming you're using though. Getting 50 hits with gyro isn't exactly an accomplishment over manual.

This is the pad/stick debate all over again, and even in those debates, it comes down to preferences.

There's obviously nothing here that should inform preference, we're all welcome to prefer whatever we want. But I feel like, barring someone with literally fused joints in their elbows and wrists, it's pretty obvious that it's easier to hit targets with gyro, whether you prefer it or not.

Rich!

Oh yeah, one other thing.

The final Goron dungeon (those who have finished the game know what I'm on about) was made a million times harder by the lack of a directional gate around the circle pad - something that the N64, GC and Wii all had.

Made it difficult as hell to roll in a straight line, which is needed in that area.

"I'm really good at aiming with the circle pad" doesn't negate the objective truth that the gyro is more accurate unless you're in a moving car or have a tremor or something.

"I'm really good at aiming with the gyro controls" doesn't mean that it's objective either. It's all preference. You can do the same things with either aiming method. Speed is the only thing I'll agree with, but again, it's not a requirement for anything.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

The final Goron dungeon (those who have finished the game know what I'm on about) was made a million times harder by the lack of a directional gate around the circle pad - something that the N64, GC and Wii all had.

Made it difficult as hell to roll in a straight line, which is needed in that area.

aw fuck

I spent more time there than anyplace else in the original.

JeTmAn81

Is this the Zelda game with the most-ever sidequests? I keep finding random stuff. Just figured out how to get to the ranch on day one.

Lol alien abduction

Also I find gyro controls make all the target games super easy. So smooth.

Neiteio

There's no way someone can hit all 50 targets as quickly with analog. With gyro, I had more than 30 seconds left on the clock. I'm sure I could bump that to 40 with practice. With analog, no matter how hard you push the circle pad, there is still additional "travel time" for the crosshairs since it's a sustained input -- you have to keep pushing in one direction on the circle pad to move the crosshairs where you need to go. Whereas with gyro, you twitch left, twitch right. It's instantaneous.

Like, you can prefer what you want, but to suggest analog is equally effective is straight-up not true. Can you beat the games with analog? Of course. I've been doing that since 2000. Can you beat them as fast as you can with gyro? Absolutely not.

EDIT: Never mind, I see you acknowledged the speed difference. Moving on!

ciD_Vain

Wish I had taken a screenshot, but I had the lighting on Tatl totally bug out the other day. Had to reboot the game for it to clear up. Instead of lighting up areas, there would be an opaque shadow on them. Almost made my head explode with 3D on.
This just literally happened to me. I got super dizzy but I didn't want to reboot at the time so I just dealt with it lol.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I'm fine at manually aiming, but with gyro I'm incredible. I hit every target in the Swamp Shooting Gallery with like 30 seconds to spare... On my first try. I couldn't believe how fast I absolutely destroyed that game with gyro — watching the clock run down after I hit every target was amazing. Likewise, I hit Koume's targets in the swamp ride the instant she spawned them. It's physically impossible for analog aiming to compete with the speed and accuracy of gyro, similar to KBM vs. analog or IR vs. analog in a shooter.

It's really breathed new life into all of these shooting minigames. Likewise with the c-stick for the racing minigames. During the Deku Shrine race, I was literally touching the Butler for nearly the entire race, only becoming separated when I had to hit the switch to lower the flames. Since I no longer need to reorient the camera with L at each 90-degree turn, it was seamless progression, the c-stick allowing me to smoothly navigate the maze.

I'm seriously impressed by how this game not only looks better than ever, but it plays better than ever, too.

Agreed, the target minigames are great fun with gyro controls.

jokkir

So, uh, how do you get to the options without closing and restarting the game? I want to use my Circle Pad Pro without having to do all that

EDIT - Nevermind, found it hidden in the Gear section. Why isn't the option there when you press start D;

Molemitts

Just finished The Great Bay temple and it's way better then I remembered, enjoyed it quite a bit, actually. It took me way too long to work out how to defeat Gyorg's second part, though.

Seda

Yep, that took me a number of tries.

I've played a couple hours of this. I like it, first time playing Majora's Mask. It's kinda hard to let go of years of admiration and expectations but i've been trying. So far i'm... searching for the witch in the woods i think? The combat inputs feel a bit different from OoT... i don't know what about them is actually different but it's enough that i had a bit of trouble understanding some basic stuff. Maybe it's just animation priorities, but i feel like i could roll into a sword attack in OoT. I wish you could turn off motion controls while Z targeting, they work very well for first person but in third person they make me a bit nauseous. Had some fun with questing and traveling back in time, i can sorta see how it works now. You're basically managing events and unlocking event flags and managing events and unlocking more flags... i like this. Still don't have a good handle on how to balance side questing and main questing but i'll probably manage it anyway.

Not easy on the depressing stuff is it.

Wii Tank

I found a kind of funny bug on one of my first cycles. I was doing the deku flower minigame in Clocktown and had time switch to the 5 minute countdown. Normally the music switches to the final minutes theme and plays over all the other tracks wherever you go until the moon hits. In my case it didn't, and instead the happy minigame theme played over all tracks instead. It was almost eerie. I haven't tried to replicate it though.

aravuus

I think it's ridiculous to say what aiming mode is objectively the most accurate, gyro aiming is just faster since you can't raise the stick aiming sensitivity. But I will say gyro aiming is great in this game, got perfect scores from both shooting gallery mini games on first try ever.

I sucked at the UFO event in the N64 version, to the point I gave up on the event for the longest time. With gyro aiming, no issues whatsoever. As with OOT 3D, gyro aiming's definitely one of the best improvements.

I actually failed the first time trying this! Totally my fault, wasn't covering all my bases. I felt just HORRIBLE
watching Ramani getting abducted!

Neiteio

I've knocked out all the side-quests I remember being difficult, and I haven't even entered Snowhead Temple yet. Well, I still have to do the frog side-quest. That's more "laborious" than "difficult," though.

I'm relieved to see this game is -better- than I remember. I was kind of expecting the opposite. I guess this really is my favorite game, or at least in a Top Five along with the likes of DKC2, RE4, etc.

Rich!

I've knocked out all the side-quests I remember being difficult, and I haven't even entered Snowhead Temple yet. Well, I still have to do the frog side-quest. That's more "laborious" than "difficult," though.

I'm relieved to see this game is -better- than I remember. I was kind of expecting the opposite. I guess this really is my favorite game, or at least in a Top Five along with the likes of DKC2, RE4, etc.

Damn good top five choices. Well, three of them.

My top five, no particular order:

Majoras Mask
DKC2
Xenoblade
Resident Evil 4
Wario Land 3

But then again, Link to the Past, Ocarina, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Portal 2, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid Prime, Chrono Trigger and Yoshis Island fit into my top 5 at any point depending on my mood. They're basically my 10/10 games.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I found a kind of funny bug on one of my first cycles. I was doing the deku flower minigame in Clocktown and had time switch to the 5 minute countdown. Normally the music switches to the final minutes theme and plays over all the other tracks wherever you go until the moon hits. In my case it didn't, and instead the happy minigame theme played over all tracks instead. It was almost eerie. I haven't tried to replicate it though.

Yep, exact thing happened to me during another minigame.

This game is blowing my mind. The character development is so good that I don't want to come back to the average Zelda characters. I'm sad for the people who played this 15 years ago and then saw the decline of subquests and story. I just acquired the
Zora
mask and the cutscene was so intense. Waiting to complete the game before giving a definitve judgement but man this game is unbelievable.

Neiteio

Damn good top five choices. Well, three of them.

My top five, no particular order:

Majoras Mask
DKC2
Xenoblade
Resident Evil 4
Wario Land 3

But then again, Link to the Past, Ocarina, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Portal 2, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid Prime, Chrono Trigger and Yoshis Island fit into my top 5 at any point depending on my mood. They're basically my 10/10 games.
For about a decade I included Metroid Prime in my Top Five. It's probably still in my Top 10, but like you, depending on my mood, things can change. I haven't played MP1 in a while, but airtight level design never gets old, and that game had some of the most beautifully paced and varied levels ever.

I can definitely appreciate Xenoblade Chronicles ranking high in your list. When it comes to Galaxy 2, I'm perpetually torn between the more consistent quality of SMG2, and the more "magical" feeling I get with SMG1 (due in part to it coming out first and feeling like a quantum leap beyond any other Wii game at the time).

I've tried repeatedly to get into ALttP, but I just can't. ALBW, on the other hand, was incredible to me. Of more recent games, ALBW, Kid Icarus Uprising, and Mario Kart 8 would have a shot at my revised Top 10. I adore Dark Souls and TLoU, but I'm not sure I'd keep coming back to them.

(I ranked several games higher than MK8 in my 2014 GOTY list, but in the long run I think I'll enjoy MK8 the longest)

This game is blowing my mind. The character development is so good that I don't want to come back to the average Zelda characters. I'm sad for the people who played this 15 years ago and then saw the decline of subquests and story. I just acquired the
Zora
mask and the cutscene was so intense. Waiting to complete the game before giving a definitve judgement but man this game is unbelievable.

The Zelda series is wonderful because of how divisive each game can be, especially since MM. You can ask 10 different fans their favorite game and get 10 different answers. There are plenty of fans who simply don't care about sidequests. In that regard they may not care much for MM. I really like MM a lot (I mean it's a Zelda game, I love them all), but it's not my favorite.

Neiteio

Zora
MM was definitely the high point of the 3D Zeldas where storytelling and characterization are concerned. Also respect for the player's intelligence and time, letting the player figure things out and giving them multiple things to do at any given moment.

MM is to OoT like "Empire Strikes Back" is to "A New Hope." It's the darker, smarter, more human and heartfelt sequel that manages to feel both more intimate and more epic at the same time.

Busaiku

Well, I figure right before the Great Bay Temple is an ok enough stopping point while I get dragged into the Monster Hunter vortex.

So far though, definitely not feeling it as much as others.
Characters are fun, but the dungeons are so confusing, collecting fairies is a chore, and having to constantly switch items annoys me.
I abhor the reset system. At this point I'm pretty much tied to a guide now, cause if I miss something, I lose hours trying to figure out what/where/why/how.
It's still a satisfying game, or else I would've quit long ago, but I do not see myself ever playing this again (after beating it).

Unless the last few parts I've got left significantly change things up (though from the sound of the frog thing, I imagine it'll get worse).

Though props to the Zelda Dungeon guide writer. They made it fun to follow.

Edzi

Did anyone order the CE guide from Barnes & Noble and have their order ship?

Mine hasn't, worried it'll get cancelled.

I ordered one, it got delayed because they oversold, bought another one from Best Buy, forgot to cancel the open B&N order, and just found out that they both shipped so now I have 2 orders... Oh well. The Barnes and Noble order shipped last night btw.

Dimmle

Isn't it weird that they've continued to make Zelda games for 15 years even though Majora's Mask ended video games and the entire industry wrapped up in 2000?

Well, I figure right before the Great Bay Temple is an ok enough stopping point while I get dragged into the Monster Hunter vortex.

So far though, definitely not feeling it as much as others.
Characters are fun, but the dungeons are so confusing, collecting fairies is a chore, and having to constantly switch items annoys me.
I abhor the reset system. At this point I'm pretty much tied to a guide now, cause if I miss something, I lose hours trying to figure out what/where/why/how.
It's still a satisfying game, or else I would've quit long ago, but I do not see myself ever playing this again (after beating it).

Unless the last few parts I've got left significantly change things up (though from the sound of the frog thing, I imagine it'll get worse).

Though props to the Zelda Dungeon guide writer. They made it fun to follow.

It helps when you only focus on one thing for a cycle. You're not supposed to try and do everything you can in one. For me it's usually unlocking a dungeon, the dungeon itself, getting a mask, minigames, sidequests, etc.

Don't worry about missing stuff because you literally can't. Once you reset the cycle you can try again. Though I understand when you don't feel like repeating a quest you failed or an event you missed by seconds. It's frustrating but I think that's just part of it. If you just want to get through it then yeah, you won't find it very entertaining.

Korosenai

Think I'm going to have to finally use a guide for the first time at the first dungeon... Have no idea what to do but I'm sure it will be really obvious once I find out.

Neiteio

I find the Skulltulas to be more evil than the Stray Fairies, even with the telltale sound of their scratching. The one in the last room of the Swamp Spider House nearly eluded me since it was so high up on the ceiling and its scratching noise mixed in with the skittering noise of the normal bugs on the ground.

Neiteio

Someone refresh my memory: Can I get the Powder Keg license and start buying the bombs from the Bomb Shop as soon as I become a Goron? Because if so, I could get my horse back and save Romani Ranch from aliens before tackling Snowhead Temple. Which in turn means I could get a number of masks and Pieces of Heart, as well.

Dimmle

I used to find the Spider Houses and fairy hunts way out of my depth but only now am I realizing how reasonably well they equip you to deal with them, even in the original version. The whole game is really just trying to psyche you out and daring you to remain calm and observant. You have to achieve a zen state.

I ordered one, it got delayed because they oversold, bought another one from Best Buy, forgot to cancel the open B&N order, and just found out that they both shipped so now I have 2 orders... Oh well. The Barnes and Noble order shipped last night btw.

Thanks for the info. My B&N was delayed too. Hopefully it'll ship soon too.

Dimmle

Someone refresh my memory: Can I get the Powder Keg license and start buying the bombs from the Bomb Shop as soon as I become a Goron? Because if so, I could get my horse back and save Romani Ranch from aliens before tackling Snowhead Temple. Which in turn means I could get a number of masks and Pieces of Heart, as well.

You need spring to come to Snowhead before you can get your Powder Keg license; alternatively maybe you could use Fire Arrows on the ice blockage? You can probably get the license as soon as you nab the Fire Arrows in Snowhead.

No. You need to clear snowhead in order to
Get rid of the snow, in order to access biggoron and get the license for kegs.

edit: apparently getting the fire arrows is enough, but you still need to go to snowhead for that.

Neiteio

I used to find the Spider Houses and fairy hunts way out of my depth but only now am I realizing how reasonably well they equip you to deal with them, even in the original version. The whole game is really just trying to psyche you out and daring you to remain calm and observant. You have to achieve a zen state.
Yeah, I should clarify it's the "good" kind of "evil." I wouldn't change it. It's just the right level of challenge, and like you said, they properly equip you with everything you need. For example, with the Swamp Spider House, there are bugs to pocket in the lobby that you can use in the dirt patches later, and if you need magic beans and spring water, they're not far away at the Deku Palace.

JonnyKong

I'm in the Snow head temple and I'm currently on 14/15 fairies. I can see a deku plant when using my lens of truth up on a high wall in the main chamber. How the hell do I get to that plant?

Dimmle

Yeah, I should clarify it's the "good" kind of "evil." I wouldn't change it. It's just the right level of challenge, and like you said, they properly equip you with everything you need. For example, with the Swamp Spider House, there are bugs to pocket in the lobby that you can use in the dirt patches later, and if you need magic beans and spring water, they're not far away at the Deku Palace.

Yeah. Although if you don't realize that and have to leave the area to find bugs or other supplies, getting back to that spider house is a chore. You can either take the boat cruise or work backwards from Woodfall, which is a pretty arduous trek either way. I didn't know there were bugs in the lobby and kept leaving for the Stock Pot kitchen because am dumb.

Molemitts

I like the Skulltula houses a lot. The design and aesthetic of the second one is really good, especially how you find the stalchildren exploring it. They're not that hard, though, the fairies are much harder as you have to deal with a dungeon alongside them. I'd like to see them in another Zelda game, actually. It's far batter than OoT's skulltulas just being spread throughout the world, ech.

Dimmle

I'm in the Snow head temple and I'm currently on 14/15 fairies. I can see a deku plant when using my lens of truth up on a high wall in the main chamber. How the hell do I get to that plant?

There is another deku plant much higher up in the main chamber... Enjoy your flight.

Top Bottom