• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

ALM5252

Does time feel faster even after slowing the flow of time?

I've used to beat dungeons in one day or less, but lately they've been a day and a half. Feels odd for some reason.

ALM5252

I'm in the Snow head temple and I'm currently on 14/15 fairies. I can see a deku plant when using my lens of truth up on a high wall in the main chamber. How the hell do I get to that plant?

I usually use the bunny hood and jump from the next highest platform closest to it. I always make it. :)

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Does time feel faster even after slowing the flow of time?

I've used to beat dungeons in one day or less, but lately they've been a day and a half. Feels odd for some reason.

The Inverted Song of Time doesn't give you as much time on the 3DS version as it did on the N64. In the N64 version it tripled the amount of time you had, but it only doubles the amount of time you have now.

Dimmle

The Inverted Song of Time doesn't give you as much time on the 3DS version as it did on the N64. In the N64 version it tripled the amount of time you had, but it only doubles the amount of time you have now.

well, that explains that

I thought I noticed this too but shrugged it off

Yeah, I should clarify it's the "good" kind of "evil." I wouldn't change it. It's just the right level of challenge, and like you said, they properly equip you with everything you need. For example, with the Swamp Spider House, there are bugs to pocket in the lobby that you can use in the dirt patches later, and if you need magic beans and spring water, they're not far away at the Deku Palace.

There were bugs in the lobby? blast I was heading to the back room with the tree every time with my one single bottle, took me an age to realize my last skulltulla was in fact yet another bug requirement that I'd somehow overlooked many times.

Interestingly I find the Swamp House really relies on you knowing that specific N64 Zelda logic at times, I can see people not in the know getting stumped by a few spiders in there.

KarmaCow

I didn't realise the fishing is completely optional but they've added a bunch of different fish types that react your abilities/masks.

So, finished the game of course to 100%

This is one of the best remakes I ever played of the best game I ever played, seriously. I can't get better than that. This is the pinnacle of gaming, the perfection in perfection.

Just about everything that was bad in the original game (and there wasn't much since MM was nearly perfection) is fixed, furthermore it had new boss designs, many new features, many little surprises and details. It was made with so much love and you can feel that by every minute you play this gem.

It's a must have.

Also, the final stage blew me away graphically, such graphics on a handheld unbelievable! Grezzo added a lot more atmosphere to the inside of the moon, you can really look forward to that.

Crayolan

Ahh yeah, the Skulltulas are pretty bad too.
But are there as many?
I didn't find one in the mountains.

There are only 2 skulltula houses.

This is going to really throw me off...

me0wish

I don't have the bunny hood yet :(

Will have to try use the other deku plant.

I just did this yesterday, I think you can just jump with out the bunny hood? try rolling as a goron maybe? That might work.

Worst case scenario, jump from one of the higher levels.

Neiteio

There were bugs in the lobby? blast I was heading to the back room with the tree every time with my one single bottle, took me an age to realize my last skulltulla was in fact yet another bug requirement that I'd somehow overlooked many times.

Interestingly I find the Swamp House really relies on you knowing that specific N64 Zelda logic at times, I can see people not in the know getting stumped by a few spiders in there.
There's actually a sign in the lobby that explains that logic, I.E. using bugs to lure out Skulltulas, etc.

Yonafunu

I never knew people went for all the stray fairies immediately on the first run through a dungeon. Why would you do that? I always saw it as a reason to come back to the dungeon at a later time so I could look for them without worrying about completing the dungeon afterwards. I mean, I get it if you're replaying the game, but even first time players?

Take your time guys, there's enough of it!

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I never knew people went for all the stray fairies immediately on the first run through a dungeon. Why would you do that? I always saw it as a reason to come back to the dungeon at a later time so I could look for them without worrying about completing the dungeon afterwards. I mean, I get it if you're replaying the game, but even first time players?

Because "replaying a dungeon" isn't really anything I've been conditioned to do in past Zeldas. I never leave until I've gotten everything inside, be it chests, fairies, or what have you. I would take me some kind of weird effort NOT to look for things, really. What am I supposed to do, just say "eh" and go on to the next room?

Dad

I'm racking my brain trying to untangle the
Kafei
quest. Children solved this. I can't be this dumb.

Guru-Guru

Banned
I finished Snowhead Temple yesterday. I found it actually pretty fun, and not as confusing as I remembered it to be. I did have to look up the location on 2 of the fairy locations though.

Time to do more sidequests today!

zeldarocks

Neo Member
No. You need to clear snowhead in order to
Get rid of the snow, in order to access biggoron and get the license for kegs.

edit: apparently getting the fire arrows is enough, but you still need to go to snowhead for that.

As a matter of fact, you do not.

So long as your have the Fire Arrows, you're fair game.

EDIT: Ninja'd

I'd rather finish everything there and move on, there's so much to do that returning to a dungeon again isn't all that fun for me.

There are other reasons to return to the dungeons so meh. I'd rather have the upgrades immediately.

Woffls

Finally got Master Quest out of the way so I could start on this. I'm playing it really slowly, just having a look around and seeing what's going on now that I've activated the statue next to the first temple ready for the next cycle.

This remake is as good as I could have hoped. I really like all the changes I've seen so far, and the c-nub is surprisingly good to use, but I can understand if some people hate it.

Roto13

It's not that hard to get all of the fairies and complete the dungeon in one run if you pay attention to the Great Fairy Mask. Just put it on every time you enter a room to see if there's a fairy in it. You won't really need to go out of your way for them very often.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Just started this. Wonderful remake, and so much memory came flooding back to me.

But I'm going to clear out that save file and start over, and see if I can play it naively - following the cues rather than my memory. I think I
I'll get more out of it that way. It'll take a lot longer though ...

Yonafunu

Because "replaying a dungeon" isn't really anything I've been conditioned to do in past Zeldas. I never leave until I've gotten everything inside, be it chests, fairies, or what have you. I would take me some kind of weird effort NOT to look for things, really. What am I supposed to do, just say "eh" and go on to the next room?

It's what I did. I dunno, Majora's Mask is a game about redoing and replaying things, for me at least, so I'd make a mental note of where the fairy was (or just ignore it outright) and just continue on towards the boss. I guess it's because I tend to keep main and sidequests pretty seperate, and I feel like Majora's Mask let's you do that very easily by letting you keep your main quest progress but resetting the sidequest progress.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, for the first time players, you don't need to do everything in one go. The entire system is made for replaying and redoing things, take your time. If you want, of course. There's no right or wrong way to play this game, as you can tell by this entire thread.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
It's what I did. I dunno, Majora's Mask is a game about redoing and replaying things, for me at least, so I'd make a mental note of where the fairy was (or just ignore it outright) and just continue on towards the boss. I guess it's because I tend to keep main and sidequests pretty seperate, and I feel like Majora's Mask let's you do that very easily by letting you keep your main quest progress but resetting the sidequest progress.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, for the first time players, you don't need to do everything in one go. The entire system is made for replaying and redoing things, take your time. If you want, of course. There's no right or wrong way to play this game, as you can tell by this entire thread.

Crazy! I mean yeah, you replay a lot of things in this game, but I'd never think to replay a dungeon. There's a reason they let you skip straight to the boss once you beat it. What a huge pain that sounds like.

Definitely bad for my OCD, too. I can't tell you how awful it was to have to put rupees back in chests in Twilight Princess, I needed to be able to clear those places OUT. I got the magic armor and blew myself up with a bomb just so I could empty the chests.

It's not that hard to get all of the fairies and complete the dungeon in one run if you pay attention to the Great Fairy Mask. Just put it on every time you enter a room to see if there's a fairy in it. You won't really need to go out of your way for them very often.
This, this, this.

Unrelated, but something that's been bugging me for a while now. For the Kafei meeting, can I just walk into his place? For years, I would wait until the mailman distracted him, and hop across the pool behind him. Have I been doing it like a sucker all this time?

I don't like leaving them there, my strategy is to look for them as I clear each room, so far that's been successful in the first two dungeons and I got about 60% that way, then did a room by room sweep after getting the boss key and before fighting the boss. I'm technically replaying the game since I got this far on the Gamecube version 7 years ago but I forgot all the locations.

Yonafunu

Crazy! I mean yeah, you replay a lot of things in this game, but I'd never think to replay a dungeon. There's a reason they let you skip straight to the boss once you beat it. What a huge pain that sounds like.

Definitely bad for my OCD, too. I can't tell you how awful it was to have to put rupees back in chests in Twilight Princess, I needed to be able to clear those places OUT. I got the magic armor and blew myself up with a bomb just so I could empty the chests.

Hahaha, it's actually pretty relaxing! Since you already have the dungeon item it's all pretty damn smooth sailing, especially if you remember the layout and the puzzles. And you have the full three days, so there's no rush at all. The perfect time to get all the stuff you missed the first time through.

And I never bothered with the rupees in TP (or in any Zelda, really). To be perfectly honest, I don't really bother with any small chests, I guess Zelda has conditioned me to ignore them, since it's all just useless rupees anyway.

royox

I can't tell you how awful it was to have to put rupees back in chests in Twilight Princess, I needed to be able to clear those places OUT. I got the magic armor and blew myself up with a bomb just so I could empty the chests.

Hahahahaha.....Oh god my sides are orbiting Jupiter

Molemitts

I'm around the point where I stopped playing this game last time, Ikana. Which means the game is pretty much blind for me now. Really excited. I think it's also solidified as my favourite Zelda game, now.

Unrelated, but something that's been bugging me for a while now. For the Kafei meeting, can I just walk into his place? For years, I would wait until the mailman distracted him, and hop across the pool behind him. Have I been doing it like a sucker all this time?
I think that's the only time the door isn't locked (until it's too late), so that's the only time when I've had any success.

KarmaCow

This, this, this.

You can just walk in AFAIK. The whole point of the letter is
so that he trusts you because Anju says so

shiyrley

Banned
Not even with Zora? That is a funny glitch.
I got one where the stick appeared on top of a treasure chest. Since Link cannot climb chests, I could not reach it.
I then opened the chest and then the stick was floating on top of it. I thought it was funny.

You can, by backflipping

hitgirl

Stuck in the mountain dungeon for too long, been running around in circles for about two days :

I can't seem to find a way to the top with the middle platform raised all the way. If the platform is up I get blocked when trying to go up by it. It's usually a gap I jump across which I get blocked from. Also I keep seeing faries in hidden places with the magnifying glass but they are just floating there and out of reach.

edit - nvm figured out where to go

Yrael

The door is locked until he receives the letter from the mailman. Before this event, even if you ring the bell in the laundry pool and coax him out, he'll run back inside when you approach him.

Edit:

Also I keep seeing faries in hidden places with the magnifying glass but they are just floating there and out of reach.

Pop the bubbles with an arrow, then use the Great Fairy mask to lure them over to you.

hitgirl

The door is locked until he receives the letter from the mailman. Before this event, even if you ring the bell in the laundry pool and coax him out, he'll run back inside when you approach him.

Edit:

Pop the bubbles with an arrow, then use the Great Fairy mask to lure them over to you.

How do you shoot the arrow and use the magnifying glass at the same time?

Anyone else's camera kinda freak out on them when you first start moving the C-Stick on a New 3DS XL?

If I'm just running around normally for a little while and then go to move the camera to the left or right around a corner, I find that the game camera spazzes out for a fraction of a second before everything is perfectly fine. It's fine after that and I can look all around without any issue, and it's fine when the camera is doing its own thing and I use the L-Shoulder to center, but it seems like sometimes the transition between those two is a little jerky for a tiny moment.

It's not a big deal or anything, it's just a little quirk I've noticed. I haven't tried any other c-stick compatible games yet to test if it's my hardware (I think I only own Resident Evil Revelations which I heard can use it).

Yrael

I love how after clearing the first three dungeons,
there's always an NPC who says "I still have a bad feeling about something..."

It's so delightfully ominous. It's a nice way to deflate your sense of victory and remind you that there's still an apocalypse at hand.

dolabla

For those that have both the old 3DS XL and the New 3DS XL, how much difference does using nub make for Majora's Mask? Is it a better experience is basically what I'm asking?

I'm receiving my copy this week (never played Majora's Mask before btw; only console Zelda I've never played), but I'm deciding if I should hold off on playing until I get my New 3DS XL within the next couple of weeks if it makes the experience better.

Haines

Banned
For those that have both the old 3DS XL and the New 3DS XL, how much difference does using nub make for Majora's Mask? Is it a better experience is basically what I'm asking?

I'm receiving my copy this week (never played Majora's Mask before btw; only console Zelda I've never played), but I'm deciding if I should hold off on playing until I get my New 3DS XL within the next couple of weeks if it makes the experience better.

The games camera is so good I forget I have the nub but I'm only. 1 dungeon in.

It's the stable 3d that changes everything. You play so much more comfortable now.

I jumped on the N3ds hype train on Friday. Honestly you don't need the nub to work the camera any better than the other options the game gives you. It is just an added feature.

Still go get a N3ds!!!

Top Bottom