• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Makaitoshi SaGa/Romancing SaGa/SaGa Frontier |OT|

Is it? I haven't heard anything about it.

I wouldn't mind some touch ups being done to the RS3 translation either. It was done way back in the day and needs some love. Some variable width font work, and an editior for the script would go a long way. Thomas' merchant sidequest is practically unplayable

There was a period of time that my friends and I were absolutely OBSESSED with SaGa Frontier. (And then subsequently, SaGa Frontier 2.)

I love that this series isn't afraid to take risks and be a bit "weird". It might not always work out but I think that it's something that needs to be preserved and supported.

Also, Tomomi Kobayash's artwork is astounding. She is one of the most talented artists in the industry, hands down.

HoodWinked

Saga Frontier such an awesome game and intentionally obtuse game systems. Incredible non linearity and scope. Superb music and pre rendered background and character art.

The subtleties of the story masterful whether its unintentional or not. for example blue's ending you can speculate to why it ends in that way sorta reminds me of Sopranos but apparently in the Official japanese guidebooks they clear up a bit more details of what happens.

also the way the game is designed each subsequent character play-through became easier and easier as you learned where items and magics could be obtained. You were even rewarded for beating all playthrough.

Fuse in Saga Frontier apparently has some indication that he may have at one point had his own storyline. Maybe this may have been the immediate party you'd have during his scenario REN!
2FDG0bE.jpg

levitan

Every night I dream SF2 will be in the HK PSN store. Every night. The SaGa series on Gameboy was the best thing in my childhood, along with the ONI series. The SaGa series had such a cool and otherworldly vibe to it that no other RPGs can give me. But there are obviously some bad ones, too.

Nice OT.

RedBoot

Fuse in Saga Frontier apparently has some indication that he may have at one point had his own storyline. Maybe this may have been the immediate party you'd have during his scenario REN!

I love how Fuse looks in all the concept art (he's got a Space Adventure Cobra thing going on), too bad he looks a bit different in-game.

But yeah, I imagine Fuse's scenario would have given more backstory on those characters. Rabbit and Doll are just kind of tossed into Red's scenario with little backstory, and you can only find out Cotton's an IRPO agent if you bring one of the other agents with you when you recruit him. Would have been cool to learn more about IRPO as well.

You can tell that SaGa Frontier had a lot of loose ends that were meant to be so much more.

I would love a director's cut version of the game for 3DS/Vita that has all the cut content.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
One of my favorite game series ever, even though like someone else said... "I play tons and tons of the games but can never seem to beat them". FFL1 was my intro to it, one of the first Game Boy games I ever bought (due to the "Final Fantasy" name, of course in 1990 I didn't realize that it was its own series). SaGa Frontier may be my favorite though, it has one of the most interesting and diverse settings in gaming history - like the town with people telling you your fortune using all sorts of crazy methods, a castle based on Disney, the cyberpunk town called "Manhattan" of all things.

Really want to see a new SaGa someday, or a fully fleshed-out remake of Frontier.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
SaGa Frontier is one of those supposed B-grade games that I love for reasons I can't seem to explain. It seems like a complete mishmash of ideas, has no final story or overarching main plot to tie the different scenarios together, and a LOAD of unfinished or unused content. The story is also really disconnected - even considering the multiple scenarios.

Still love it to death, though.

Also, it has a bangin' OST, and its battle system is pretty cool. Lightbulbs all up in everywhere.

Definitely agree about that. In fact, I think its because the games feel so raw that they're appealing, at least to me. The games are just so oddly designed that they're appealing.

I wish RS's battle system had been the standard for JRPGs instead of Final Fantasy's. It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better.

@MUWANdo

Banned
There are people who will insist that these games are a masterwork in non-linear design but the truth is that Kawazu just mashes a million different systems together with no regard for how they interact or even if they work as intended.

What's sadder is that I'm not sure I even care.

Yeah, I definitely agree there. These aren't well designed games by any means. But I think I just like how little fucks Kawazu gives and just throws in shit he thinks is cool.

I've been thinking lately.... Whatever happened to Kenji Ito? He just kind of fell off the map.

randomkid

Yeah, I definitely agree there. These aren't well designed games by any means. But I think I just like how little fucks Kawazu gives and just throws in shit he thinks is cool.

I've been thinking lately.... Whatever happened to Kenji Ito? He just kind of fell off the map.

He just did the soundtrack for Devil Survivor 2, which I think everyone liked. His music is really underappreciated though, I agree. Battle themes!

mattp

i've been trying to figure out a way to rip the backgrounds from saga frontier 2, because theyre fucking GORGEOUS

but the entire game is in one file from what i can tell, and i have no idea how to read it, nor does anyone else online

if i run it through PSimage it pulls out a few random tiles and stuff, but nothing really useful

so i tried using a ps1 vram viewer to pull the graphics right out of save states, but...here's what i've got so far
uQAtmwE.png

any suggestions for reassambling that stuff? haha

Top Bottom