• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandemic

Tragic to see the victim's family online, trying to make sense of the missing plane.

Daughter of a mother that works as an air stewardess on the flight,
https://twitter.com/JasmineJohari
BiQZ1m2CUAAy14h.jpg

Devastating shit..

Pandemic

"Preliminary surveillance data" examined by the Pentagon suggests the missing Malaysia Airlines jet did not explode over the South China Sea, according to The New York Times.

The newspaper cited a U.S. government official who spoke on the condition of anonymity as suggesting "a system that looks for flashes around the world" had not identified any sign of a blast. NBC News could not immediately confirm the report.

Source

Mondy

Banned
Disintegrated mid-air and dropped in the ocean, is my guess.

That is the most likely scenario, but it is just incredible. All the most sophisticated sonar, radar, infrared and satellite technology available to man have been looking for one shred of evidence of where this plane went down for coming up on 48 hours and nobody has a clue where it is. I don't even think the Ocean where the crash site is most likely to be is even that deep as opposed to other places.

The Australian Defence Force has a couple of modern Submarines posted in Darwin I believe. Perhaps they should get involved.

Not likely, as it would result in a large debris field and the search has not come across any derbis so far. This means that it has plunged right down largely intact. In what could cause such a thing, loss of rudder could make it happen. There is a video of a Fedex plane (I think) losing its tail and coming directly down like a stone.

Not in all cases. Japan Airlines 123 lost its vertical stabilizer and all hydraulics when it went down and the pilots still managed to keep it airborne for 32 minutes, plenty of time to get an SOS out.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Disintegrated mid-air and dropped in the ocean, is my guess.

Not likely, as it would result in a large debris field and the search has not come across any derbis so far. This means that it has plunged right down largely intact. In what could cause such a thing, loss of rudder could make it happen. There is a video of a Fedex plane (I think) losing its tail and coming directly down like a stone.

Kiraly

But nothing really explains why there was no communication at all if the plane crashed intact, right?

I really hope that they find something soon, it must be incredibly difficult for the family and friends of the passengers.

If it disintegrated in midair or on impact there'd be some kind of debris floating in the ocean surely?

Mondy

Banned
Terrorism doesn't even make sense because if they were seeking to replicate 9/11 by hijacking the plane to ultimately use it as a flying bomb, it would've happened by now.

numble

Terrorism doesn't even make sense because if they were seeking to replicate 9/11 by hijacking the plane to ultimately use it as a flying bomb, it would've happened by now.
So Lockerbie and the post-9/11 shoe bomber terrorist was not actual terrorism because they just wanted to take down planes?

Dryk

If it disintegrated in midair or on impact there'd be some kind of debris floating in the ocean surely?
There should be, but anything that floats will be small so the the trick is finding it. Looks like they're casting a fine enough net that they will eventually though.

BiRdMUiCAAA3sVx.jpg:large

trinest

The Australian Defence Force has a couple of modern Submarines posted in Darwin I believe. Perhaps they should get involved.

Abbott is sending in I think some planes, (like 2). But it seems to little to late.

It doesn't have to happen straight away. Plus it would make sense as a terroiristic option to let people feel that they have lost everyone to the seas or something only to have them all still alive to basically ransom or fly into buildings or whatever.

Linkyn

Where the fuck has this plane gone?

I'd say fell into the sea more or less intact, filled with water becaue of a small tear due to air friction, trapping all passengers inside and sinking. But then again, unless everyone died or was gravely wounded on impact, someone could probably have openend a security hatch. I think if it had broken up, they would have found at least some small part by now.

However, at this point, speculation is all we have. For all we know, the plane passed into the twilight zone.

Mondy

Banned
So Lockerbie and the post-9/11 shoe bomber terrorist was not actual terrorism because they just wanted to take down planes?

Again, if that had happened, evidence in the form of debris and flotsam would suggest so. The Navies of four different nations have found none.

Log4Girlz

The only explanation that makes sense to me at the moment is that the plane probably came down at full speed at a very steep angle if not nearly vertically. A terrorist attack would have blown debris over a wide field I would imagine.

Pandemic

So they are scheduled to reach the unidentified yellow floating object in about 12 mins.

Vietnamese media reports that suspicious object is not related to flight MH370 reports. Jacky Ly Thang, a defense cooperation official in US Embassy Hanoi, told VN Search & Rescue Center just now that US search party has confirmed that the object - seen by Singaporean search plane earlier - had nothing to do with the missing plane.

Source

trinest

The only explanation that makes sense to me at the moment is that the plane probably came down at full speed at a very steep angle if not nearly vertically. A terrorist attack would have blown debris over a wide field I would imagine.

What I want to know is how does that explain the reports that they had contact from a Japanese pilot which heard them mumble? Though I guess if the cockpit hadn't filled up with water yet?

Gibbo

Flown MAS on a few occassions, and it is a very good Airline imo. I hope the relatives of those aboard find closure soon

Dryk

What I want to know is how does that explain the reports that they had contact from a Japanese pilot which heard them mumble? Though I guess if the cockpit hadn't filled up with water yet?
It's possible that the communications failure isn't as related to the crash as it seems to be.

keuja

Ah, misread it as "the countries". My mistake. Glad I posted it.

There it is! We were talking about an international passport database earlier and couldn't figure out if there was one.

Wait, so there is still no international passport database?!
I was wondering how in hell stolen passports could be reported to the police then blacklisted and not be immediately flagged up when going through immigration...
That's fucked up.

DrM

Redmond's Baby

Yeah, i was thinking this too this morning when caught some Air Crash Investigation on Nat Geo... with full speed, near vertical collisions with water, debris will be scattered on small area and will resurface shortly. Mid-air explosion would cause kilometers long and wide debris field

breakfuss

Actually beginning to really irritate me. I suppose no one has room to be more upset than the families and friends of the victims, but I still cannot wrap my mind around how something as sophisticated as an airplane just disappears. A 200+ million dollar vehicle with 200+ people (likely carrying smart devices)...vanished into thin air? I don't get it. Even with the limitations of GPS...I thought it impossible to ever fully "disconnect". So Air Force One could just disappear like this? Doubtful.

CryptiK

Actually beginning to really irritate me. I suppose no one has room to be more upset than the families and friends of the victims, but I still cannot wrap my mind around how something as sophisticated as an airplane just disappears. A 200+ million dollar vehicle with 200+ people (likely carrying smart devices)...vanished into thin air? I don't get it. Even with the limitations of GPS...I thought it impossible to ever fully "disconnect". So Air Force One could just disappear like this? Doubtful.
Well smart phones GPS and Mobile Data are meant to be switched off during flight.

luso

Also on National Geographic there was one or two analyzed accidents where the pilots supposedly committed suicide and dove the plane down. I hope it's not the case.

mAcOdIn

Well, as far as cell phones go if your phone has gps that's really just one way, your phone's not telling the GPS satellite where it is it's basically measuring the distance between as many GPS satellite signals it can receive at a given moment and deriving it's location from that, but GPS really can't work in reverse.

Now, if you were in range of cell phone towers then sure, you can track them down but then who builds cell phone towers in the ocean?

Also, I don't know jack about radar but I do think we should not assume all radar is equal across all countries and that all areas of said countries are covered.

Coins

Banned
I find it odd that no family members have told the media that they received a goodbye text. I would think that at least one person out of 200 plus would send something. Suggests to me that whatever happened, it was very fast and all encompassing.

numble

I find it odd that no family members have told the media that they received a goodbye text. I would think that at least one person out of 200 plus would send something. Suggests to me that whatever happened, it was very fast and all encompassing.
Even if it took 1 hour, there are no cell towers in the area to receive and transmit those messages.

trinest

Apparently theres videos of them connecting or something werid if you read the chat from that live stream posted earlier in this thread. Not sure how legit.

coldfoot

Banned
You can't text on an airplane in the middle of the ocean, there are no cell towers in the vicinity plus cell phones won't get any reception above 4-5k ft AGL even if there were any towers in the vicinity. Unless you have a sat phone which is extremely rare

Coins

Banned
Even if it took 1 hour, there are no cell towers in the area to receive and transmit those messages.

I've been able to text and place calls in the middle of the Pacific ocean from topside when my submarine surfaced for a BBQ or swim qual. Radio waves propagate amazingly well over the ocean.

Kysen

Waiting for the air crash investigation documentary. Utterly heartbreaking to hear how some of these planes crash for even the smallest of reasons(e.g. loose latch on a cargo bay).

Coins

Banned
You can't text on an airplane in the middle of the ocean, there are no cell towers in the vicinity plus cell phones won't get any reception above 4-5k ft AGL even if there were any towers in the vicinity. Unless you have a sat phone which is extremely rare

Ahhh, well I wasn't aware of the 4-5k restriction.

Jintor

I've been able to text and place calls in the middle of the Pacific ocean from topside when my submarine surfaced for a BBQ or swim qual. Radio waves propagate amazingly well over the ocean.

on normal cell tower transmission or via satellite etc? Find it surprising when I can lose coverage if I move to the wrong room of my house, but I guess that'd be a blocking issue...

did anyone get a goodbye text on Air France 447? would the phones have reception?

Ehhh, I dunno... I think if an accident occurrs on a plane, most people are probably so terrified that sending a message to loved ones is not as natural as it might sound.

In a situation like 9/11, the planes were still flying normally (even though the situation obviously must have been terrifying) so the passengers had more time to reflect on their situation.

Coins

Banned
on normal cell tower transmission or via satellite etc? Find it surprising when I can lose coverage if I move to the wrong room of my house, but I guess that'd be a blocking issue...

It was a normal connection. Radio waves behave differently over/under/through large expanses of water. The Navy had to eventually forbid the use of cell phones when deployed as it got popular to call home when deployed. As I seem to remember, I was on Sprint at the time and the Sprint users got a signal. We used to charge other sailors outrageous prices to use the phones that worked. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom