• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

pax217

Given they have 10 000 km2 to cover, and with only 3-4 ships, I guess that might be difficult.

But yes, this is starting to feel crazy.

I just don't understand how you haven't found a seat, a suitcase... a shred of aluminum... It's really nuts. If that plane hit the water, it broke. It didn't go down whole.

What are you implying?

Malaysia is a freakin Muslim country... So what? It is the most stable, least violent country in probably all of Asia.

That many unexpected terrorist acts are tied to Muslim beliefs; it's not something I need to spell out, history does it for me. The post had said he didn't think there was any (bad blood) between the Malay and Chinese, and couldn't think of a justification. I gave a reasonable theory. I didn't say it was fact.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I just don't understand how you haven't found a seat, a suitcase... a shred of aluminum... It's really nuts. If that plane hit the water, it broke. It didn't go down whole.

That many unexpected terrorist acts are tied to Muslim beliefs; it's not something I need to spell out, history does it for me. The post had said he didn't think there was any (bad blood) between the Malay and Chinese, and couldn't think of a justification. I gave a reasonable theory. I didn't say it was fact.

Your theory is based on the assumption that all Muslims are homogenous (i.e. capable of terrorism) and that assumption is wrong.

PK_man

Banned

I think you've spend too much time watching fox news

pax217

Your theory is based on the assumption that all Muslims are homogenous and that assumption is wrong.

I think you've spend too much time watching fox news

That's not true at all. The theory is based on the fact that there are wackos in every religion that misinterpret and act far beyond whatever the values of their religion is.

But it's classic GAF to do this, so keep on going guys. You're all highly cultured and have an incredible world-view. I'll continue the conversation with those of us who are trying to understand the situation and consider any and all perspectives/situations.

baekshi

Banned
That's not true at all. The theory is based on the fact that there are wackos in every religion that misinterpret and act far beyond whatever the values of their religion is.

But it's classic GAF to do this, so keep on going guys. You're all highly cultured and have an incredible world-view. I'll continue the conversation with those of us who are trying to understand the situation and consider any and all perspectives/situations.

wow

just

wow

Linkhero1

No...just no. They're tied to extreme wackos who represent a minority of the populous.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

Yes there are wackos in every religion. The plane also had a group of artists from China and another group of people who belong to some Buddist society. Clearly it could also have been mad artists or crazy buddists who wanted to bomb the plane.

Your theory is based on nothing except for how you think that Muslims are more likely to be terrorists.

pax217

That's not what I quoted... Read what I quoted.

Which I elaborated on since GAF loves to assume the worst, and said exactly what you said.

Yes there are wackos in every religion. The plane also had a group of artists from China and another group of people who belong to some Buddist society. Clearly it could also have been mad artists or crazy buddists who wanted to bomb the plane.

It certainly could be. I could also talk about the Christian presence in that area. I suppose I should have just said "religious presence", then. If you guys read a few pages back, the "Muslim" theory was brought up and it wasn't an issue. It was "Oh, OK" and we moved on. I brought it up again in direct reply to that post. It wasn't "MUSLIMS DID IT!" It was "Here's a theory for why it may have been a completely unsolicited attack", and it was meant as Muslim wackos. Sorry.

I'm not disagreeing with any of you on your thoughts/positions/facts. I'm disagreeing with the way I was interpreted.

####

Vietnam's Transport Minister has reported that the oil slicks are moving at about 80km SW every 24 hours, so the location of the oil slicks could be useless all together as to where any wreckage may be.

crozier

I wouldn't be surprised if the pilot(s) crashed the plane like that Egyptian one did back in the 90's. Either that or a hijacking, but a hijacking seems less likely in a post 9/11 world.

Linkhero1

Which I elaborated on since GAF loves to assume the worst, and said exactly what you said.

####

Vietnam's Transport Minister has reported that the oil slicks are moving at about 80km SW every 24 hours, so the location of the oil slicks could be useless all together as to where any wreckage may be.
You should have made yourself clear in the original post...terrorist attacks are tied to wackos not the belief. Extremists don't follow "their" so called Islamic beliefs, which isn't even part of the religion. They're sick people. So what you originally stated was being quoted because you made it sound like it's because of the beliefs themselves and not the sick nature of those individuals who are corrupt. I don't want to derail it any further but that's why I quoted you.

pax217

You should have made yourself clear in the original post...terrorist attacks are tied to wackos not the belief. Extremists don't follow "their" so called beliefs. They're sick people. So what you originally stated was being quoted because you made it sound like it's because of the beliefs themselves and not the sick nature of those individuals who are corrupt. I don't want to derail it any further but that's why I quoted you.

Yes, I am certainly NOT saying what you guys interpreted it as. I meant the "wackos". A shortcoming of my (lack of proper) brevity. I'll be more careful.

All of this said, I don't even believe the terrorist angle... religious-wacko presence or not.

zeroOman

Yes, I am certainly NOT saying what you guys interpreted it as. I meant the "wackos". A shortcoming of my (lack of proper) brevity. I'll be more careful.

Then why don't we hear about the Muslim in Burma blowing thing up there or china?

breakfuss

Just got an update pushed to my phone about Malaysian authorities contacting counter terrorism agencies concerning passports...

pax217

Then why don't we hear about the Muslim in Burma blowing thing up there or china?

Just because they don't act there, doesn't mean they aren't there. Look up "Abu Sayyaf" if you want an example.

Regardless, I really don't want to sit here and talk about religion, assumptions, stereotypes, etc. I'd really like to try and keep updating the facts (and the speculation, I suppose) to try and figure out what the hell is going on.

Just got an update pushed to my phone about Malaysian authorities contacting counter terrorism agencies concerning passports...

Interesting. Where do your updates come from? A news agency?

Coins

Banned
Just because they don't act there, doesn't mean they aren't there. Look up "Abu Sayyaf" if you want an example.

Regardless, I really don't want to sit here and talk about religion, assumptions, stereotypes, etc. I'd really like to try and keep updating the facts (and the speculation, I suppose) to try and figure out what the hell is going on.

I got that update from Cnn.

pax217

Apparently Malaysia's airport security does not check the validity of passports on any international database, hence why those passports were able to skate by security. If they weren't reported as stolen in Malaysia, they wouldn't be marked as such (which both the Austrian and a Italian individuals said they had them stolen more than a year ago in Thailand).

Not speaking to anything other than his assertion about Chinese and Malaysian relationships but that much is certainly correct. You are aware of how Singapore came about aren't you?

The only news channels I watch are Bloomberg (at/for work, which most politically leans left) and Al-Jazeera US (at home, which I don't watch very often because I prefer to click on the articles I want to read via their, BBC's, or Reuters' pages). I receive no newspaper except for Barron's on Saturdays. I have been using WSJ for this because they're quick to update (which is, in all fairness, a News Corp company). No FOX News, though.

Asia is a big place you know?
My point was that Malaysia is a country, that compared to other countries in the region, has few internal or external conflicts, and is a very multi-cultural country with little religious or political unrest compared to other asian countries. Therefore a terrorist-attack is quite unlikely.

Daria

I saw both reports coming from the Breaking News app with the original report coming from Reuters. I don't have links handy but two separates reports of there being investigation of 4 passengers on the flight and another of the possibility that they might have been turning back around at some point close to the time of lost communication.

Officials also say the pilot that claims to have had contact before the plane went missing is false.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If they were Austrian and Italian passports, does that mean that those who used them were probably European-looking? And don't passports have pictures? If the pictures are faked, why not fake the names too?

pax217

I saw both reports coming from the Breaking News app with the original report coming from Reuters. I don't have links handy but two separates reports of there being investigation of 4 passengers on the flight and another of the possibility that they might have been turning back around at some point close to the time of lost communication.

Officials also say the pilot that claims to have had contact before the plane went missing is false.

Damn. There really are no answers to any of this. It just keeps evolving into more and more of an enigma.

If they were Austrian and Italian passports, does that mean that those who used them were probably European-looking?

First thing that comes to my mind, but it's also important to remember that if they've had the passports for a year or more, they've had time to manipulate them.

Daria

Apparently Malaysia's airport security does not check the validity of passports on any international database, hence why those passports were able to skate by security. If they weren't reported as stolen in Malaysia, they wouldn't be marked as such (which both the Austrian and a Italian individuals said they had them stolen more than a year ago in Thailand).

AFAIK there is no international database that is shared between countries for lost/stolen or revoked passports.

My point was that Malaysia is a country, that compared to other countries in the region, has few internal or external conflicts, and is a very multi-cultural country with little religious or political unrest compared to other asian countries. Therefore a terrorist-attack is quite unlikely.

Just because a country seems friendly it doesn't automatically rule out a terrorism attack. It'd be idiotic to not look at every possible scenario in this type of situation.

If they were Austrian and Italian passports, does that mean that those who used them were probably European-looking? And don't passports have pictures? If the pictures are faked, why not fake the names too?

Why would you fake a name when the stolen passport has no criminal history attached to it and will work perfectly fine to get through security?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Damn. There really are no answers to any of this. It just keeps evolving into more and more of an enigma.

First thing that comes to my mind, but it's also important to remember that if they've had the passports for a year or more, they've had time to manipulate them.

So how is it useful exactly? I'm guessing the goal is to not have their names on the passenger list because they might be known, but it seems a bit weird to steal a passport and keep the original names, especially so much longer after stealing them.

Just because a country seems friendly it doesn't automatically rule out a terrorism attack. It'd be idiotic to not look at every possible scenario in this type of situation.
Yes but it was written as a response to some idiotic remark about there being Muslims in the region. My point was, Malaysia is one of the most stable countries in Asia, and they are Muslims.

pax217

AFAIK there is no international database that is shared between countries for lost/stolen or revoked passports.

Not that it's a legitimate experiment, but a quick Google search and I couldn't find anything, you're more than likely right... which is kind of nuts. You would think that if a passport, used to travel internationally, gets flagged by any other nation, it would be noted to all other nations.

So how is it useful exactly? I'm guessing the goal is to not have their names on the passenger list because they might be known, but it seems a bit weird to steal a passport and keep the original names, especially so much longer after stealing them.

Well I'd think that you'd keep the name just in-case your real name is flagged as some sort of criminal or terrorist, and you'd need the passport to travel internationally, you'd just need to be able to manipulate the photo enough to pass security? I ended that with a question mark because I don't actually know :p

Pandemic

What the fuck is going on....

A list of possible causes for the plane disappearing have been compiled:
- A catastrophic structural failure of the airframe or its Rolls-Royce Trent 800 engines. Most aircraft are made of aluminium which is susceptible to corrosion over time, especially in areas of high humidity. But given the plane's long history and impressive safety record, experts suggest this is unlikely.

- Bad weather. Planes are designed to fly though most severe storms. However, in June 2009, an Air France flight from Rio de Janeiro to Paris crashed during a bad storm over the Atlantic Ocean. All 228 passengers and crew aboard died. The pilots never radioed for help. But in the case of Saturday's Malaysia Airlines flight, all indications show that there were clear skies.

- Pilot disorientation. Curtis said that the pilots could have taken the plane off autopilot and somehow went off course and didn't realise it until it was too late. The plane could have flown for another five or six hours from its point of last contact, putting it up to 4800km away. This is unlikely given that the plane probably would have been picked up by radar somewhere.

- Failure of both engines. In January 2008, a British Airways 777 crashed about 300 metres short of the runway at London's Heathrow Airport. As the plane was coming in to land, the engines lost thrust because of ice build-up in the fuel system. There were no fatalities.

- A bomb. Several planes have been brought down including Pan Am Flight 103 between London and New York in December 1988. There was also an Air India flight in June 1985 between Montreal and London and a plane in September 1989 flown by French airline Union des Transports Ariens which blew up over the Sahara Desert.

- Hijacking. A traditional hijacking seems unlikely given that a plane's captors typically land at an airport and have some type of demand. But a hijacking like those on September 11, 2001 is possible, with terrorists forcing the plane into the ocean.
Pilot suicide. There were two large jet crashes in the late 1990s that investigators suspected were caused by pilots deliberately crashing the planes.

- Accidental shoot-down by some country's military. In July 1988, the United States Navy missile cruiser USS Vincennes accidentally shot down an Iran Air flight, killing all 290 passengers and crew. In September 1983, a Korean Air Lines flight was shot down by a Russian fighter jet.
http://www.smh.com.au/world/what-happened-to-malaysia-airlines-jet-20140309-hvgq9.html

Live press conference occurring now.

pax217

This map did not say "possible" oil slicks when I reviewed it a few hours ago... it just said "oil slicks"

Source: WSJ

BiQrZ-tCcAAu4d0.jpg:medium

Reuters is reporting that "investigators" are now reviewing CCTV footage of the passport holders in-question's arrival to airport, check-in, security check, etc. Apparently all four bought their tickets through a travel broker in China? Has anyone else seen that?

Also, BBC (who is usually last to report anything because they spend so much time checking their sources) confirms the "four suspect passenger" theory.

Pandemic

Wow, they've just said in the press conference that according to data recordings, that it shows the plane attempting to turn back, and their checking with calibrations of how much a turn back it was.

pax217

Wow, they've just said in the press conference that according to data recordings, that it shows the plane attempting to turn back, and their checking with calibrations of how much a turn back it was.

Yup. Which must be exactly why they don't trust that oil slick to be anything of use, I'd bet!

pax217

4 suspect passengers? I thought there were only 2 stolen passports?

Yahoo Malaysia ended up reporting (maybe three hours ago now) that there were two other passports that didn't line up. We had a few GAF'ers (if you read back a page or two through the religious BS) confirm this, and now BBC is confirming it. There are four fake/stolen/improper passports that were used in flight check-ins.

Keep in mind that many are saying that this is not uncommon in Southeast Asia, though.

It's since finished, but you can watch it here when they do another press conference at 3pm Malaysian time, so 1 hour and 40 minutes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymj16F4ZwL8

Pandemic, I didn't get to see the conference, but I'm reading now that they talked about a possible landing on a remote peninsula? Is that true?

Sidenote: Someone please tell me that you just saw the NK "elections" report on this YouTube channel. That NK hits the polls today to elect their new leader... and that there's only one candidate...

Pandemic

Pandemic, I didn't get to see the conference, but I'm reading now that they talked about a possible landing on a remote peninsula? Is that true?

From what I recall, they didn't mention anything of that nature. Just mentioned who is involved in the search effort and the fact that the plane may have turned back

breakfuss

lol, not sure if you were being sarcastic, but it's since been answered by others (cnn). so yeah. Really hope this business of stolen passports is just coincidence, though.

pax217

From what I recall, they didn't mention anything of that nature. Just mentioned who is involved in the search effort and the fact that the plane may have turned back

Ah, OK. Thanks.

####

EDIT: What I wrote here was said by Malaysia to be false.

lol, not sure if you were being sarcastic, but it's since been answered by others (cnn). so yeah. Really hope this business of stolen passports is just coincidence, though.

I try to write on GAF in a manner that isn't consistent with the rest of the internet's sarcasm, hate, and overall shitty-ness (though, as you can see with the previous "Muslim" debacle, it isn't very effective); I'm never sarcastic on here... and this is pretty much the only place I write anything on the internet.

I was all about the "coincidence" until they found the other two... now I'm leaning toward... well, the other way.

Malaysia and Vietnam have both review their sonar radar's records for the time period where the flight disappeared and have found no variances from normal (meaning they don't have anything that would suggest a plane slammed or sank into the gulf).

MrJames

Looking at Visa requirements by nationality a passport from various countries in Europe don't have some of the restrictions that passports from various SE Asian countries have. To get into China you need a visa before they let you on the plane for Malaysian citizens (and neighboring countries) but an Italian passport will get you in visa-free at select Chinese airports (including Beijing) for 72 hours. The motivation do this would likely include illegal activity but that doesn't really prove or disprove an act of terrorism in this case.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Just a random theory, not sure yet if that will confirmed, but among all the passengers there are four countries listed for which there was only one passenger, two of which are the Austrian and Italian passports. I wonder if the other two passports would be the Russian and Netherlands ones:

10. Russia - 1

11. Italy - 1

13. Netherlands - 1

14. Austria - 1

Pandemic

Malaysia launches terror probe over plane
Concern over a possible security breach grew as Malaysia's government said it was investigating four people who were on the Boeing 777 plane.

At least two passengers boarded using stolen European passports, officials and reports have said.

"At the same time our own intelligence have been activated, and of course, the counter-terrorism units ... from all the relevant countries have been informed," Malaysia's acting transport minister Hishammuddin Hussein told reporters.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation is sending agents and technical experts to assist the probe, US media reported.

US officials told The Los Angeles Times that they were trying to determine whether there was any terror link to the flight's disappearance, but stressed there was no evidence to support that yet.

"Just because they (the passports) were stolen doesn't mean the travellers were terrorists," a Department of Homeland Security official told the paper.

"They could have been nothing more than thieves. Or they could have simply bought the passports on the black market."

Asked to confirm the reports, an FBI spokesman said: "We are ready to assist if needed."
More at link.

If this is something criminal I wonder if it has anything to do with that leaked warning that airlines should be on high alert for possible shoe bomb attempts....was on February 19th when that warning was issued...This whole thing is so weird...probably not terror related at all...but who knows?

pax217

Looking at Visa requirements by nationality a passport from various countries in Europe don't have some of the restrictions that passports from various SE Asian countries have. To get into China you need a visa before they let you on the plane for Malaysian citizens (and neighboring countries) but an Italian passport will get you in visa-free at select Chinese airports (including Beijing) for 72 hours. The motivation do this would likely include illegal activity but that doesn't really prove or disprove an act of terrorism in this case.

Sure, and they've stated that drug trafficking is a huge use for the false passport thing. But good info. If you're flying to the US, you have to pass US security checks-- I would assume China would apply the same to their in-bound flights.

Just a random theory, not sure yet if that will confirmed, but among all the passengers there are four countries listed for which there was only one passenger, two of which are the Austrian and Italian passports. I wonder if the other two passports would be the Russian and Netherlands ones:

10. Russia - 1

11. Italy - 1

13. Netherlands - 1

14. Austria - 1

Good eye. Would make sense.

If this is something criminal I wonder if it has anything to do with that leaked warning that airlines should be on high alert for possible shoe bomb attempts....was on February 19th with that warning was issued...This whole thing is so weird...probably not terror related at all...but who knows?

I dropped my girlfriend off at the airport (Seattle) earlier today and didn't notice any activity that was out of the ordinary. Maybe a few more cops, but that's it. She said there wasn't anything extraordinary about security.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom