• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.
We would have elevators that go through the earths core at that point. lol

Seen as the earth's core is estimated to be around 6000 Degrees Celsius (as hot as the surface of the sun), I doubt that. We're more likely to have an elevator to the moon before an elevator going through the earth's core

N.Domixis

Banned
Seen as the earth's core is estimated to be around 6000 Degrees Celsius (as hot as the surface of the sun), I doubt that. We're more likely to have an elevator to the moon before an elevator going through the earth's core

That's why the core would have to be frozen first. Iol

Phoenix

Tom Haueter (former NTSB Aviation Safety) on CNN doesn't believe the satellite image is from a plane: "The object is too big, it wouldn't float like this".

Can't wait to see the results of this.

It could just be a shitty sat image too. If the sources are accurate at all, there was an aircraft that headed in that direction. Give the general shittyness of the tracking in this case its certainly possible that it could be wreckage of some sort.

We've seen a number of crash cases where something goes wrong and the pilot tries to turn back around to get to the airport but because of some sort of issue they never make it back to the airport. It is possible that they had some sort of severe issue with electrical or instrumentation and tried to make it back to the airport but couldn't find it because their instruments were shot. So they followed a course that they thought was taking them back while trying to fly blind, maybe changing course a number of times trying to acquire the airfield (as has happened in a number of crashes) but due to some issue with the aircraft they finally just ended up going down due to a failure of the flight systems or some human error (which ends up being the case MOST of the time) where they ended up putting themselves in the ocean.

Phoenix

It'll probably still planes. I don't see anyone shelling out for an undersea rail network.

If we're still primarily using "traditional" airplanes for travel 100-200 years from now there is a pretty high likelihood that our species is going to die on this rock.

Dryk

If we're still primarily using "traditional" airplanes for travel 100-200 years from now there is a pretty high likelihood that our species is going to die on this rock.
Well the main problem with commerical air travel is the fuel cost, and any sort of low-orbit travel will make that worse. I really hope that we get some of the proposed vactrain projects off the ground in the next 200 years because it would be fucking awesome, but I find it hard to imagine it actually making it out of development hell.

But 200 years is a long time so...

N.Domixis

Banned
If not planes maybe teleporters? Your body is scanned and a 3D printer is used to print your body somewhere else. The old body is grinded down and used as printing material to print the next person. The memories would be uploaded to the new body. lmao

BeerSnob

If not planes maybe teleporters? Your body is scanned and a 3D printer is used to print your body somewhere else. The old body is grinded down and used as printing material to print the next person. The memories would be uploaded to the new body. lmao

You would die every time you used it. Your consciousness would not continue. There would be a copy yes, but "you" wouldn't be driving it.

We should be pumping money into human genetics so that the next evolution of humans have wings and gills so they can fly and swim wherever they want

Dryk

You would die every time you used it. Your consciousness would not continue. There would be a copy yes, but "you" wouldn't be driving it.
If there's an afterlife it's suddenly full of thousands of copies of the richest businesspeople in the world <shudder>

Trouble

Banned
I should know.

WxTYehq.jpg

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her

Transglobal, Sub-Orbital aircraft will be the thing for the next 100 years, once they get off the ground and prove economically feasible.

Capable of going around the world in a few hours, instead of the 12+ hours typical long-haul flights take.

They won't have parachutes or escape hatches either, and a sub-orbital crash is going to make a normal, cruising altitude crash death seem a quick, easy death in comparison.

Phoenix

Pretty weird that they dont have better tech that can track this black box all over the world with satellites..

The tech is certainly there, but satellite bandwidth is pretty limited so if you're talking about pushing all of the telemetry data up to the satellite along with the voice recordings - you're going to have to likely put some additional comms capacity in orbit to cover the substantial number of aircraft flights data signals (and their encryption) that take place on a day to day.

apana

Future of air travel is very simple, just go up in a hot air balloon and wait for the earth to move beneath you. In 24 hours you will have circled the globe. Either that or giant tubes going through the center of the earth.

antonz

So, they're back to thinking the military may have tracked the plane crossing to the Strait of Malacca?

Whole thing is a clusterfuck. Elements of the Malaysian Military refuse to believe China has seen anything so they are still adamant of the turn.

The only way that plane turned is if it was hijacked. It takes several minutes for a plane to complete that kind of turn around in the air and if it had lost power etc. it wasn't doing that turn.

Falk

that puzzling face
What? It says clearly in the article that the official statement is it's 'not certain', which they pulled from the PC 15 hours ago. Which is why there are two search areas now, one west and one east. Nothing's changed since then.

It would be stupid to put all their eggs in one basket, they shouldn't move the whole focus to where the current lead is.

Guardian's live update says that they are investigating that area around the satellite coordinates as well.

Haines

Banned
Is it often a plane goes missing in this era and never found?

Seems odd. I haven't followed since it was lost but I'm assuming nothing has turned up

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
My takeaway from this is that when a plane has a tail strike, you don't just send it to the body shop and put some bondo on it. CAL611 had a similar outcome. I know it's really fucking expensive to do so, but they really need to consider retiring a plane that has had that sort of damage to it.

Also, when the US military offers to send in marines to get your people out,your correct response should be, "yes sir, please and thank you."

Did you just watch
The Prestige
?

Phoenix

Is it often a plane goes missing in this era and never found?

Seems odd. I haven't followed since it was lost but I'm assuming nothing has turned up

Dude there are entire ships (larger than this plane) that go lost in the ocean. Recently there was this whole cannibal rat infested ship that was about to hit the UK. Oceans are huge and deep. Extremely easy to lose something in it if you don't know where it was when you lost contact with it.

Phoenix

FlightRadar is awesome. The app lets you hold your phone up, using the camera, to a plane in the air and it'll overlay the flight info.

Yep. I guess people don't fly enough to care about these sort of thing, but I use this app all the time. Some of you might be freaked out by the fact that when crossing the ocean there are times when a plane will go untracked or have unclear data. People seem to have this fallacy that every aircraft is accurately tracked all the time, but that is definitely not true when you're dealing with international routes.

daw840

More importantly, flightradar24 is a thing. Holy crap this is amazing.
http://www.flightradar24.com

Wow, that is pretty cool.

FlightRadar is awesome. The app lets you hold your phone up, using the camera, to a plane in the air and it'll overlay the flight info.

Heh....I keep those planes from hitting each other. That's what I watch every single day. Albeit not on a shitty website like that but with real radar feeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom