• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.
so the Chinese government and state media have blasted Malaysia as being uncooperative but they held onto crucial satellite images since Sunday.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The fuck?
They probably just saw it. Also, no one wants to give up intel capabilities.
so the Chinese government and state media have blasted Malaysia as being uncooperative but they held onto crucial satellite images since Sunday.
You have to realize that it takes time to cull through images. Collection of data and categorization of data are two different things.

Hard to tell how long it was floating there or if it resurfaced or something.

These are some huge pieces of wreckage. If its not this plane then it is surely something big.

Edit:
This is near the oil rig worker.

So im guessing that the worker did see an explosion then. Did they ever persue th elead or expand on it?

I didnt mean to imply malice sorry the words look that way

Better words would be the chinese satellites picked this up on sunday but it seems they were just discovered.

dorkimoe

so its floating...does that mean someone could have survived?

maybe this is a fake plane and Charles whidmore is behind it?

PK_man

Banned
If anything I think its China checking to see if it fit. China doesn't want to be wrong, especially after the complaints about Malaysia

this.

and seeing how Malaysia is handling the search, it's pretty safe to say that they are jumping the gun on any information they have before verifying the authenticity of it first

Phthisis

Would be unlikely for there to be survivors, I imagine. Human body needs water within 3 days usually, and not a lot of fresh water available floating in the middle of the ocean.

dorkimoe

Would be unlikely for there to be survivors, I imagine. Human body needs water within 3 days usually, and not a lot of fresh water available floating in the middle of the ocean.
They have bottles of water in flight. Say 1 person survived the crash. That person would have enough.

PK_man

Banned

even if they miraculously survived the impact, they would've have likely sustain heavy injuries that they won't be able survive for several days in the middle of an ocean.

MThanded

Also we have to remember that this wreckage (who knows if its the plane) was floating on sunday. Who knows if it is still floating. Possibly not.

Phthisis

They have bottles of water in flight. Say 1 person survived the crash. That person would have enough.

If they lived. If they were not injured so bad they couldn't move. If they could find a bottle of water. If they could reach it. If they could find something to float on. If they didn't succumb to cold temperatures.

Lot of things working against them in that situation. Not impossible, but I would say very high odds against.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
The biggest piece of debris is 24x22 meters by their count. That seems a little large for a 777 that hit water, but it could be a composite of wing+fuselage sections. In that case, maybe the plane didn't have a really hard landing (still probably fatal though)?

MThanded

Expert believes that the dimensions don't conform to anything he could think of on the plane. Especially since the light parts of the plane would float and the heavy parts would sink. The only explanation he has is that these are clusters of wreckage. Otherwise, he is very skeptical.

even if they miraculously survived the impact, they would've have likely sustain heavy injuries that they won't be able survive for several days in the middle of an ocean.

all the more reason to find them as quickly as possible. i could only imagine the idea of actual surviving the crash but not be found because the search effort was being focused in the wrong place

Sec0nd

The biggest piece of debris is 24x22 meters by their count. That seems a little large for a 777 that hit water, but it could be a composite of wing+fuselage sections. In that case, maybe the plane didn't have a really hard landing (still probably fatal though)?

It's going to suck if it turns out that the plane had a survivable impact but there are no survivors because they just couldn't find the damn plane.

elty

It's going to suck if it turns out that the plane had a survivable impact but there are no survivors because they just couldn't find the damn plane.

The [USAF] C-130 crew was the first to spot the crash site 20 minutes after impact, while it was still daylight. The crew radioed Yokota Air Base to alert them and directed a USAF Huey helicopter from Yokota to the crash site. Rescue teams were assembled in preparation to lower Marines down for rescues by helicopter tow line. The offers by American forces of help to guide Japanese forces immediately to the crash site and of rescue assistance were rejected by Japanese officials.
Although a JSDF helicopter eventually spotted the wreck during the night, poor visibility and the difficult mountainous terrain prevented it from landing at the site. The pilot reported from the air that there were no signs of survivors. Based on this report, JSDF ground personnel did not set out to the site the night of the crash.
Yumi Ochiai, one of the four survivors out of 524 passengers and crew, recounted from her hospital bed that she recalled bright lights and the sound of helicopter rotors shortly after she awoke amid the wreckage, and while she could hear screaming and moaning from other survivors, these sounds gradually died away during the night

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Airlines_Flight_123

Tzeentch

My point exactly so unless crozier works for the government how would he know if there is or is not any geostationary spy satellites?
Why would you even WANT a geostationary spy satellite is a better question. Ideally you want more than the visible bands in a surveillance sensor and that means closer is always going to be better.

Darren870

If they lived. If they were not injured so bad they couldn't move. If they could find a bottle of water. If they could reach it. If they could find something to float on. If they didn't succumb to cold temperatures.

Lot of things working against them in that situation. Not impossible, but I would say very high odds against.

Not to mention the oceanic white tip would have gotten them within a day or two

Unfortunately its almost impossible to survive in the middle of the ocean for 3+ days.

syllogism

I'm inclined to agree that the dimensions do not seem to match, but I also do not think that the Chinese would release these photos unless they were quite confident.

Not to mention the oceanic white tip would have gotten them within a day or two

Unfortunately its almost impossible to survive in the middle of the ocean for 3+ days.

At what point does the captain decide the passengers should evacuate (i.e. parachute)?

If this plane was in the air as long as they think it could have been, the crew would have had a fair amount of time to decide if parachuting was an option. But does jumping out over open sea really help? You'd avoid dying on impact, but you'd be floating out there waiting for slow death...

LegoArmo

At what point does the captain decide the passengers should evacuate (i.e. parachute)?

If this plane was in the air as long as they think it could have been, the crew would have had a fair amount of time to decide if parachuting was an option,. But does jumping out over open sea really help? You'd avoid dying on impact, but you'd be floating out there waiting for slow death...

I don't think commercial planes have parachutes, but I did wonder this myself.

Charcoal

If this plane was in the air as long as they think it could have been, the crew would have had a fair amount of time to decide if parachuting was an option. But does jumping out over open sea really help? You'd avoid dying on impact, but you'd be floating out there waiting for slow death...
AFAIK, commercial planes don't have parachutes. Even if they did, most people would't know what to do once they hit the water. A lot of deaths have occurred because people get caught up in the lines and drown.

Commercial flights dont have parachutes.

Phthisis

Commercial airlines don't contain parachutes for passengers. Even if they did, any jump from commercial airline altitude is risking high speed winds, frostbite cold temperatures, aircraft traveling speeds of 200-300 mph, and a complete lack of any experience or certification for parachuting for most if not all of the passengers. There's a reason this is something that happens in movies and not real life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom