• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeerSnob

Well if that site is to be believed, MH370 was at zero feet above sea level at around 17:20'ish UTC. Seems pretty straight forward. No descent or anything, 35,000 to zero from one broadcast to the next. I don't know how often positions are updated but that seems rapid.

KHarvey16

Well if that site is to be believed, MH370 was at zero feet above sea level at around 17:20'ish UTC. Seems pretty straight forward.

Or it might report 0 airspeed when it doesn't have any data. There's too much between the transponder and that screen to draw conclusions.

More importantly, flightradar24 is a thing. Holy crap this is amazing.
http://www.flightradar24.com

ue2cqOr.jpg

Oh wow.

Trouble

Banned
Yeah, it just goes to show water ditching needs to be PERFECT.

To be fair Ethiopia Flight 961 had been hijacked, was out of fuel and both engines were powered down, flaps were all the way up and the pilot was fighting a hijacker while trying to ditch.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yeah, it just goes to show water ditching needs to be PERFECT.
No it doesn't.

Both engines were dead, they were out of fuel, stress of a hijacking, and the engine got snagged below the water on a reef. Wouldn't have been nearly as bad if the coral wasn't there.

Lamel

Banned
No it doesn't.

Both engines were dead, they were out of fuel, stress of a hijacking, and the engine got snagged below the water on a reef. Wouldn't have been nearly as bad if the coral wasn't there.

To be fair Ethiopia Flight 961 had been hijacked, was out of fuel and both engines were powered down, flaps were all the way up and the pilot was fighting a hijacker while trying to ditch.

So yeah, it wasn't a perfect ditch situation...that's what I said. If the pilot was able to focus and straighten the plane it could have worked.

Even if the only thing wrong was the slight bank of the plane and the left wing hitting first, it would have still been disastrous (well apart from the coral).

MIMIC

Banned
The rest of that video is so sad. The people drowned, ironically (and tragically) because of their life vests.

If I'm ever in an emergency landing situation over water, I am taking off all my clothes so I can swim with as little resistance as possible.

SmokeMaxX

The rest of that video is so sad. The people drowned, ironically (and tragically) because of their life vests.

If I'm ever in an emergency landing situation over water, I am taking off all my clothes so I can swim with as little resistance as possible.

Only because they didn't follow directions and inflated their life vests before exiting the plane. They weren't able to get out of the plane once it flipped since they had to dive down to exit.

MIMIC

Banned
Only because they didn't follow directions and inflated their life vests before exiting the plane. They weren't able to get out of the plane once it flipped since they had to dive down to exit.

Oh, OK. I skipped some in the video and was wondering if the vests had already been inflated. I assumed that they were.

Lamel

Banned
Also according to Wiki, the captain of the Ethiopian flight had been in 2 previous hijackings. Guy can't catch a break.

If you really want to blow your mind, have flightradar24 and the liveatc.net app running at the same time. So cool to not only have the deets on an airplane within the vicinity, but to also hear the approach/departure/and ground control chatter for said airplane..

Pandemic

A Vietnamese military jet has reportedly found no wreckage at the site where a Chinese satellite image showed objects apparently floating in the South China Sea.

If confirmed, the news will be a major blow to the search effort.

Source

Eh, hopefully they find something nearby.. It probably sunk since the satellite image was taken a few days ago.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
FlightRadar is awesome. The app lets you hold your phone up, using the camera, to a plane in the air and it'll overlay the flight info.
This is blowing my mind right now. Just tried it watching a Qantas plane fly overhead and it overlaid perfectly. What kind of wizardry!?

SmokeMaxX

Wow... if engines were working, is there ANY scenario where communication could have not been working? Combined with the transponders going down... you really have to suspect either this was intentionally done by the pilots or there was a hijacking...

Kinda off-point but, regarding that Ethiopian flight video, does it piss anyone else off when American shows subtitle a foreigner even when they're speaking perfect English? Even stranger in this case that they only subbed one of the pilots and not the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom