• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daria

BilPDK-CIAAgkc5.png

Source

If this was a hijacking they'd have to make sure they knew of a runway that would be able to land a 777 if they wanted to keep it intact all while not being detected. An earlier image showed possible areas which fit the bill but I don't think we're finding this plane.

Somehow I doubt the Chinese government would ever allow an untracked plane to fly by.

That is if it was detected in the first place.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Well, that expanded fly space sure is unsettling. Going to need to coordinate with fucking everyone to see what, if anything, was picked up when and where. Needle in a haystack is now needle in an ocean.

1cmanny1

A hangar of some sort? Maybe that's why the phones keep ringing? And didn't it have 20 employees apart of a technology company?

Just wild thinking, but anything that doesn't sound feasible, can happen. Who knew this plane could still be flying for 4 hours, undetected?

I thought the phones only rang once, which is due to international connections.

luoapp

It's unlikely the source is someone with access to the data but someone who was informed of its existence. It could be the integrity of the data wasn't confirmed so nothing beyond the data that was collected while the aircraft maintained contact with ATC was mentioned or discussed at that point.

I may skip something, but I couldn't find in the WSJ report explaining how they get the "4/5 hour" number. Nowhere mentioned the number of reports/transmissions. They probably estimated from the fuel level.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Only noticed the bit about the Malaysian police visiting the home of one of the pilots. Wonder what they know/suspect.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Only noticed the bit about the Malaysian police visiting the home of one of the pilots. Wonder what they know/suspect.
One of the pilots has a home built flight simulator.

Did he use it for fun....or a place to practice something more sinister?
/tinfoil cap

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It is logical to assume that someone who dedicates years/decades of education and career to flight also has an inherent interest and passion in flight outside of their education and career commitments. I'd be surprised if a lot of pilots didn't explore other flight-related stuff, whether it be reading, touring, or playing.

maomaoIYP

When you realize that radars don't work too well over water it's really not that hard to believe.

Yeah but if the plane really did fly for another 4 hours, not a single one of the countries in the region has any idea where it is. That sort of realization scares me, imagine how easy it is to fly any sort of suicide place / fighter jets etc anywhere.

Log4Girlz

It is logical to assume that someone who dedicates years/decades of education and career to flight also has an inherent interest and passion in flight outside of their education and career commitments. I'd be surprised if a lot of pilots didn't explore other flight-related stuff, whether it be reading, touring, or playing.

My sister's husband buys RC model planes all the time. Or shall we say SURVEILLANCE DRONES?!

He would kill for a simulator. Not literally.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Oh, I just assumed he was joking about the simulator!

jaxword

That is if it was detected in the first place.

China has one of the most paranoid governments in the world and probably one of the few who actually get close to controlling their internet. You really want to put wagers on them being sloppy with their airspace?

Cat Party

I sure hope the plane was hijacked and everyone's safe somewhere, but that hope is not based in reality. The thing I keep going back to is that there was some kind of catastrophe in mid air, and the pilots lost their electronics or something like that, so they veered off course and eventually crashed into the ocean. That's assuming this bit about the engine running for 4 more hours is true.

Lamel

Banned
The twist is, the plane never actually took off, it is still sitting in Malaysia waiting for ATC to give it clearance, wondering what is taking so long.

I didn't even hesitate to get that FlightRadar24 app. Pro version is only $3 and has the augmented reality thing. 3D mode is awesome too! Like a flight sim tracking a flight in first person mode over Google maps. Very cool app.

Was crazy cool looking out my window at a plane and seeing its data pop up.

Anko

Can the debris found by China's satellites belong to the plane if the plane had flown for 4 more hours? It was found not too far from the point of disappearance, wasn't it? I mean, unless the plane was flying in circles, I don't see how both can be true.

apana

Can the debris found by China's satellites belong to the plane if the plane had flown for 4 more hours? It was found not too far from the point of disappearance, wasn't it? I mean, unless the plane was flying in circles, I don't see how both can be true.

I think the Malaysian government said they went there and found nothing, no debris.

Anko

I think the Malyasian government said they went there and found nothing, no debris.

It's been days since the image was taken. I wouldn't expect the debris to be there after 4 days. But the fact remains that there was something there. It could have been something else entirely though. So does this new revelation that the plane flew for 4 more hours tell us anything about that?

Cse

Banned
The Wikipedia link for ACARS mentions that the system is capable of transmitting data on the position of the aircraft.

Aeronautical operational control and airline administrative control messages are used to communicate between the aircraft and its base. These messages are either standardized according to ARINC Standard 633 or defined by the users, but in the latter case they must meet at least the guidelines of ARINC Standard 618. Various types of messages are possible, for example, relating to fuel consumption, engine performance data, aircraft position, in addition to free text.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_Communications_Addressing_and_Reporting_System

keuja

I think it's whatever's in a certain radius that shows up.

It sifts through the ACARS data for engine parameters for analysis at their DAC. It's a service they sell to operators.

From now on, they should include positioning info along with their engine data.

EatChildren

Assuming the Rolls Royce data is accurate, and the flight did continue for ~5 hours without following its original course, this does bring options down to:

• Cockpit depressurisation rendering at least the crew (and potentially passengers) unconscious, autopilot taking over and flying until they ran out of fuel. Issue: This does not explain why tracking/communications were shut off while hours of flight remained, nor why the flight seemed to branch off course.
  • Hijacking: Outcome of craft impossible to gauge with current data: may have crashed or been crashed, may have landed somewhere (that however seems unlikely to me).
  • Technical/structural issues: Enough so that damage prevents pilots from responding (eg: unconsciousness/death) and shuts down communications/radar, yet leaves enough tech functioning for autopilot to fly until it's starved of fuel. Situation requires too many specifics to be probable, in my opinion.
  • Malicious intent by pilots: deliberate suicide/murder, off the radar. I feel this is the most unusual and unlikely scenario.

Pandemic

Assuming the Rolls Royce data is accurate, and the flight did continue for ~5 hours without following its original course, this does bring options down to:

• Cockpit depressurisation rendering at least the crew (and potentially passengers) unconscious, autopilot taking over and flying until they ran out of fuel. Issue: This does not explain why tracking/communications were shut off while hours of flight remained, nor why the flight seemed to branch off course.
  • Hijacking: Outcome of craft impossible to gauge with current data: may have crashed or been crashed, may have landed somewhere (that however seems unlikely to me).
  • Technical/structural issues: Enough so that damage prevents pilots from responding (eg: unconsciousness/death) and shuts down communications/radar, yet leaves enough tech functioning for autopilot to fly until it's starved of fuel. Situation requires too many specifics to be probable, in my opinion.
  • Malicious intent by pilots: deliberate suicide/murder, off the radar. I feel this is the most unusual and unlikely scenario.

Which one do you think is more likely to have occurred? Hijacking?

People have mentioned a fire could have started within the cabin, but that doesn't explain it being able to fly for 4 hours, would it?

EatChildren

I'm purely speculating as an armchair dickhead who has no real technical knowledge of aircraft, data reliability, flight, and such. But I guess depressurisation seems believable to me, as it's happened before with the aircraft continuing on until starved for fuel. Doesn't explain shutting off communications though, which is where hijacking seems more likely. Although, maybe there's something technical (like a fire) that could depressurise the cockpit and fuck with the certain tech while keep autopilot intact.

apana

Aside from suicide what could malicious intent be? Being paid off to land the plane somewhere?

Bebpo

Banned

My question is if it was depressurization and it continued on for 5 hours...how did no one see them on the radars and stuff? Even with tracking turned off shouldn't it have passed over countries that are tracking everything in the sky? I mean in all the past plane crashes due to depressurization and ghost flights, there's been huge media as they happened with planes flying by to check on the status of the plane while it's mid-flight and watching it sadly crash down. 5 hours just seems like a long freaking time for no one to see it on a radar, be alarmed and have planes check it out.

Otherwise, yeah depressurization -> crash seems likely.

Vesmir

Banned
Which one do you think is more likely to have occurred? Hijacking?

People have mentioned a fire could have started within the cabin, but that doesn't explain it being able to fly for 4 hours, would it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Canada_Flight_797

Its as if there is a prior airline crash for every scenario.

To note:

The spreading fire also burned through crucial electrical cables that knocked out most of the instrumentation in the cockpit, forcing the plane to divert to an alternative landing field.

Who's to say a fire couldn't take out essential cables?

EatChildren

Aside from suicide what could malicious intent be? Being paid off to land the plane somewhere?

Yeah, something like that. By malicious I mean the pilots deliberately shutting off communication and flying/crashing elsewhere for whatever reason, at the expense of passengers and crew.

Its as if there is a prior airline crash for every scenario.

Yep, and this is why there's no absolutes. When you've nothing to go off, everything is an option.

Goodlife

Technical/structural issues: Enough so that damage prevents pilots from responding (eg: unconsciousness/death) and shuts down communications/radar, yet leaves enough tech functioning for autopilot to fly until it's starved of fuel. Situation requires too many specifics to be probable, in my opinion.

But the communications weren't shut down, if the engines were sending data to Boeing.

Fjolle

So.. There's this guy on twitter that seems rather convinced that the plane landed in China. Apparently to acquire the Freescale employees.

I'm still leaning towards the aliens theory.

aeroslash

The Wikipedia link for ACARS mentions that the system is capable of transmitting data on the position of the aircraft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_Communications_Addressing_and_Reporting_System

Yes, and that's used for sone aircrafts on long flights over whater to give position to ATC. It's not sent automaticaly.

Is this true? Rolls royce confirmed it?

If so, my best explanation could be a slow depresurization not noticed by the crew (strange thing, but like the Helios flight showed, not impossible) and a failure in the communications of the aircraft. If they were hypoxic, they could also turn off the transponder themself for any reason.
But even if that's the case, and a plane flyes without transponder, it only takes minutes before the country which has the plane in contact, take off the fighters to have a look at the plane... I'm sure it never flew over land, the radars would have seen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom