• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malazan Book of the Fallen, Broken Binding hardcover release

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Just a heads up for fellow fantasy nerds, since I know there are quite a few here. Malazan is one of my favorite fantasy sagas, dense and literary and spanning thousands of years. But if you didn't get a chance to pick it up in hardcover back when the books were first coming out, they're outrageously expensive to buy second hand. Subterranean Press also did a limited edition collector's hardcover run, but that is even more outrageously expensive.

But now Broken Binding is doing a limited edition premium hardcover run for the full Malazan saga at a relatively normal price (50 GBP per book + shipping). Typically they release their books subscription-only, but they're making an exception for Malazan so that everyone who wants a set gets a chance to own it.

Starting with the first three books.

C7vMvT1.jpeg

KCrvm6V.jpeg

7vGOBwI.jpeg

Goes on sale to the general public on July 29th at 7PM BST.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
I've had Gardens of the Moon on my Goodreads lists for years now, might be the right time to get started.

I was trying to find more information on the website but it isn't listed, I found a tweet and I don't quite get how this works. Is the pre-sale a pre-order? Because the following tweet they made suggests the first batch of shipping takes place in September? Also, holy fuck those limited edition hard covers are expensive $12k lol.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I've had Gardens of the Moon on my Goodreads lists for years now, might be the right time to get started.

I was trying to find more information on the website but it isn't listed, I found a tweet and I don't quite get how this works. Is the pre-sale a pre-order? Because the following tweet they made suggests the first batch of shipping takes place in September? Also, holy fuck those limited edition hard covers are expensive $12k lol.

Yeah, it's a preorder but they're reliable on release dates afaik. They do a popular book subscription so they get things out the door regularly.

They claim there will be enough Malazan copies printed to satisfy demand, but probably only during this preorder window.

Re: Gardens of the Moon, at lot of people bounce off it initially. Myself included, at first. But when I eventually finished it I came to appreciate it a lot. And Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice are both stunners.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Just a heads up for fellow fantasy nerds, since I know there are quite a few here. Malazan is one of my favorite fantasy sagas, dense and literary and spanning thousands of years. But if you didn't get a chance to pick it up in hardcover back when the books were first coming out, they're outrageously expensive to buy second hand. Subterranean Press also did a limited edition collector's hardcover run, but that is even more outrageously expensive.

But now Broken Binding is doing a limited edition premium hardcover run for the full Malazan saga at a relatively normal price (50 GBP per book + shipping). Typically they release their books subscription-only, but they're making an exception for Malazan so that everyone who wants a set gets a chance to own it.

C7vMvT1.jpeg

KCrvm6V.jpeg

7vGOBwI.jpeg

Boss, I've heard of this series before, but never got round to reading it. I've heard only good things.

However, I've been a bit burnt out on fantasy recently after having to slog through the terrible Demon Cycle series by Peter Brett, which is another series I heard was amazing. I need a new fantasy series to wash the taste of that shit out of my mouth, but I'm now cautious what I read.

How would you compare this to another fantasy series, or is it totally unique?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Boss, I've heard of this series before, but never got round to reading it. I've heard only good things.

However, I've been a bit burnt out on fantasy recently after having to slog through the terrible Demon Cycle series by Peter Brett, which is another series I heard was amazing. I need a new fantasy series to wash the taste of that shit out of my mouth, but I'm now cautious what I read.

How would you compare this to another fantasy series, or is it totally unique?
It's 10/10 tier to me and seems to have grown a lot in stature over time to the fantasy community. It's for people who like complexity, mature storytelling, history and lore, political intrigue, epic fantasy. Basically as much effort put into worldbuilding as Tolkien. Events span thousands of years and hundreds of characters and are interwoven skillfully. You're not spoonfed anything, more like thrown into a complex world that is internally consistent and has many moving parts, and you're slowly exposed to how those parts work.

It's hard to compare to anything else directly.

As mentioned, the main caveat is that Gardens was written a decade prior to the rest of the books and requires some patience before things click.

Working my way through the first law series. Is this similar ?

29 books !!!

First Law trilogy is also a favorite of mine. There are some similarities but Malazan is denser, more serious, more like a history. The main Malazan saga is 10 books.

IDKFA

It's 10/10 tier to me and seems to have grown a lot in stature over time to the fantasy community. It's for people who like complexity, mature storytelling, history and lore, political intrigue, epic fantasy. Basically as much effort put into worldbuilding as Tolkien. Events span thousands of years and hundreds of characters and are interwoven skillfully. You're not spoonfed anything, more like thrown into a complex world that is internally consistent and has many moving parts, and you're slowly exposed to how those parts work.

As mentioned, the main caveat is that Gardens was written a decade prior to the rest of the books and requires some patience before things click.

First Law trilogy is also a favorite of mine. There are some similarities but Malazan is denser, more serious, more like a history. The main Malazan saga is 10 books.

Thanks.

That sounds like something I'll enjoy. I'll add it to my (ever growing) TBR list.

Irobot82

That reminds me I am still on book 69 of 420 of this series. But seriously, I need to get back on the kindle and finish it. Great books.

Drake

These are awesome and I would get them, but I've already spent an embarrassing amount of money on the Subterranean Press versions of these. I still don't have GOTM though. I refuse to pay $1000+ for that book. Luckily I was able to get on the list when The Bonehunters came out, so I was able to get most of the series at MSRP.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member

C7vMvT1.jpeg

HA HA HA, who are they kidding with those renders!? Is the font like 2 point and the paper tissue thin? Those books are absolute DOOR STOPPER THICK and I WANTS THEM!!!

jason10mm

Gold Member
fqOBrLj.jpeg

There we go, thats what I'm talking about! These are massive tomes of arcane knowledge, not to be taken lightly :p In fact, the driving motivation for me to get a kindle back in the day was to have these books and not have to lug these beasts around :p

edit: good grief, this set is listed for TWELVE THOUSAND DOLLARS! WTF, over?

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
HA HA HA, who are they kidding with those renders!? Is the font like 2 point and the paper tissue thin? Those books are absolute DOOR STOPPER THICK and I WANTS THEM!!!
Haha, yeah, they’ll be thick, it’s noted in the newsletter that the renders don’t depict the book thickness.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I went to the broken binding website and don't see a way to buy these. Do you have a direct link?
The newsletter doesn’t actually have a direct link to a sale page. It’s probably going up on their site at the time of general sale, with the other staggered presale links being emailed to subscribers and people who filled out the interest form.

Check here when the time comes:

near

Gold Member
I went to the broken binding website and don't see a way to buy these. Do you have a direct link?
I think if you sign up to the interest list you’ll make the cut for the pre-sale (I hope) and they should email you on July 28, 12pm BST. If not the general sale will take place on July 29, 7PM BST, get ready to refresh that page because I have a feeling it will sell out quick.

This is the link to get added to the interest list:

near

Gold Member
Was doing some research on The Broken Binding and they produce some incredible special editions. A lot of care is taken in terms of build quality and design. Their subscription waiting list is also ridiculously long and it also seems that some have been waiting over a year to get in. I signed up to the Tier 2 fantasy sub waiting list since that’s the only one open right now, maybe I’ll get in one day.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Was doing some research on The Broken Binding and they produce some incredible special editions. A lot of care is taken in terms of build quality and design. Their subscription waiting list is also ridiculously long and it also seems that some have been waiting over a year to get in. I signed up to the Tier 2 fantasy sub waiting list since that’s the only one open right now, maybe I’ll get in one day.
Yes, they produce beautiful editions and sell them at a reasonable price. Resale value tends to be high. They landed on my radar when I heard about the Makazan editions but I would’ve loved to get on their sub sooner, seeing what they’ve released. Mostly great series, not flavor of the moment stuff.

It only took me around five months to get off the waiting list for tier 2 this year. Not that bad.

near

Gold Member
Yes, they produce beautiful editions and sell them at a reasonable price. Resale value tends to be high. They landed on my radar when I heard about the Makazan editions but I would’ve loved to get on their sub sooner, seeing what they’ve released. Mostly great series, not flavor of the moment stuff.

It only took me around five months to get off the waiting list for tier 2 this year. Not that bad.
Your subbed!? That’s cool to hear. What are the differences between Tier 2 and 1? Do they also give you a heads up on there pipeline or is it generally a surprise when you receive a delivery? Trying to figure out how they operate. Their website is kind of archaic lol.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Your subbed!? That’s cool to hear. What are the differences between Tier 2 and 1? Do they also give you a heads up on there pipeline or is it generally a surprise when you receive a delivery? Trying to figure out how they operate. Their website is kind of archaic lol.
Tier 2 gets you the regular release, Tier 1 is the signed and numbered editions. T1 someone has to quit for the next person in line (a T2 sub on the T1 waitlist) to get in, and considering the resale value that’s unlikely to ever happen. Not concerned about getting into T1.

They tell you when they start a new run, typically a trilogy, and you have the option to skip the series (can do one series skip per year), quit the subscription (back to the bottom of the wait list if you want back in), or accept and pay.

Yeah, it’s a little old fashioned, but they deliver where it counts.

near

Gold Member
Tier 2 gets you the regular release, Tier 1 is the signed and numbered editions. T1 someone has to quit for the next person in line (a T2 sub on the T1 waitlist) to get in, and considering the resale value that’s unlikely to ever happen. Not concerned about getting into T1.

They tell you when they start a new run, typically a trilogy, and you have the option to skip the series (can do one series skip per year), quit the subscription (back to the bottom of the wait list if you want back in), or accept and pay.

Yeah, it’s a little old fashioned, but they deliver where it counts.
That seems like a fair process of managing the tiers. So are these Malazan books part of the subscription for you? Because on one of the tweets they made it appears as if they’re charging subs for this series, but offering earlier pre-sales? If that’s the case is there any particular reason why they’d exclude these from the subscription?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
That seems like a fair process of managing the tiers. So are these Malazan books part of the subscription for you? Because on one of the tweets they made it appears as if they’re charging subs for this series, but offering earlier pre-sales? If that’s the case is there any particular reason why they’d exclude these from the subscription?
Malazan isn’t part of the subscription, but subscribers get early access to the presale. Currently they’re doing the Jade City books on the sub.

Ozriel

M$FT

I love both Malazan AND the first law trilogy.

Been a long while since I read the books of the fallen, so I hope I still remember most of it.

I_D

Malazan (Pronounced "Muh-lah-zin;" fight me!) is literally the best thing I've ever read.
I very highly recommend it to basically everybody who has any interest in reading epic, deep stories.

Just be warned: It's not a story for for beginners!
If you like Lord of the Rings, A Song of Ice and Fire, Wheel of Time, Cosmere, Thomas Covenant, Discworld, Black Company, Urth, etc., then you're on the right track; but still not quite there.
All of those series are quite good, but they're all geared toward a young-adult rating (Yes, even HBO's Game of Thrones). Malazan is R-rated as fuck, and it's not even close.

It's also definitely not for the beginner-reader: The language is highly sophisticated, the characters are numerous, the plot-lines are dark as hell, and you need to be ready to not understand something for thousands of pages.
In fact, there's a very good chance you'll have to re-read the whole thing all over again, just to understand some major points you didn't even notice the first time around.

All of that being said, if you're up for the challenge, you'll never find anything else like it.
It's seriously the best thing ever written.

IDKFA

I think you would, yeah. In unrelated matters, did you ever get around to The Will of the Many?

I did.

It was better than I expected. I like that it wasn't your typical medieval fantasy setting and instead is inspired by ancient Rome.

The magic system in place fuelled by willpower was original. While the premise felt familiar – underdog protagonist in a cutthroat academy – I felt Islington injected fresh energy with a Roman-inspired setting and a complex plot that kept me guessing throughout the story.

I can see why it's been compared to Red Rising. Both are Roman inspired with our protagonist being placed in an academy to compete with other students. I think Red Rising is better, but that's probably a bit unfair as there have been six Red Rising novels and this is book one in a new series.

Overall I'm looking forward to see where the series goes in The Strength of the Few, which I heard was out next year? I hope it is.

Mossybrew

Nice, if I had extra cash these would be a great collector's item, but I'll stick with my worn copies, I've read through the whole series three times.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I have no idea what royal hardback, digital fore-edges, or head/tail bends are but I wants it! $50/book isn't crippling. This series, LOTR and asoiaf are the big 3 everyone should have IMHO.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Royal hardback is 234 mm x 156 mm (9.21 inches x 6.14 inches). Your typical large fantasy hardcover size. Digital fore edge means that it has edges with an illustration if you put the book facing edge out instead of spine out on the shelf. Head/tail bend is a premium aspect of hardcover binding at the top and bottom of the book.

Not quite on the level of a slipcased premium hardcover like Folio Society's Dune, but a step up from something like the Silmarillion Illustrated By the Author Hardcover. Considering they'll be signed as well, it's a fair price.

Tams

I've fallen out of reading (in the last decade all I've read is Starship Troopers and reread Dune once).

Would this series be good for getting back into it?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I've fallen out of reading (in the last decade all I've read is Starship Troopers and reread Dune once).

Yeah, if you like Dune and Starship Troopers, plus stuff like LotR/Silmarillion and ASOIAF, good chance you’ll like it.

Caveat that Book 1 doesn’t always click with people right away, considered to hit its stride by book 2, so if you jump in just keep that in mind.

jason10mm

Gold Member

Malazan is DENSE. There are a LOT of POV characters, lots of names, lots of places, and events are not always put into context or make sense, it be take BOOKS later before a single scene suddenly fits. The magic system is obtuse. This history of the world, virtually the entire globe, is described going back tens of thousands of years.

So you gotta plow through confusing parts, or, and this is my recommendation, find one of the malazan wiki sites that will explain stuff book by book, to limit spoilers, but help you remember who everyone is and answer questions of thats what helps you keep going. This ain't Bob Salvatore DnD or kiddie fantasy. This is the depth of LOTR mixed with the poltiical complexity of ASOIAF and the worldly breath of Wheel of Time with the gritty "trench level" POV of Black Company. PhD level fantasy.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Malazan is DENSE. There are a LOT of POV characters, lots of names, lots of places, and events are not always put into context or make sense, it be take BOOKS later before a single scene suddenly fits. The magic system is obtuse. This history of the world, virtually the entire globe, is described going back tens of thousands of years.

So you gotta plow through confusing parts, or, and this is my recommendation, find one of the malazan wiki sites that will explain stuff book by book, to limit spoilers, but help you remember who everyone is and answer questions of thats what helps you keep going. This ain't Bob Salvatore DnD or kiddie fantasy. This is the depth of LOTR mixed with the poltiical complexity of ASOIAF and the worldly breath of Wheel of Time with the gritty "trench level" POV of Black Company. PhD level fantasy.
That is the best explanation I've ever heard bravo 😃

I_D

Mildly off-topic, but I figured I'd let others know about this artist I found years ago while searching for Malazan stuff.
I have all of these printed on vinyl, and they're up on the wall in my man-cave.

This one is my favorite:
memories-lr.jpg

Unfortunately, given how long it's been, I don't think he'll ever finish the series.

I_D

I'm reading Malazan early next year. Not only the main series but the side content too. I'm using a reading guide I found online

I suggest only turning to the guide if you absolutely have to. I found that a large part of the beauty of Malazan is the discovery of everything as you put the pieces together.

Also, I rarely get to talk about Malazan to people, so time to show off something super nerdy:
These are my Malazan-based Elden Ring characters. They've all beaten the game, and they all used the gear you see them in (except Quick, obviously).
(Also, sorry if the image-host is shit. With Abload gone, I don't know what to do for reliable, lossless hosting.)

Anomander Rake:

Caladan Brood:

Cotillion:

Draconus:

High King Kallor:

Karsa Orlong:

Quick Ben Delat:

Seguleh:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I should start reading book 1 again ... for a fourth time. I have gotten around half way through. It's interesting, but loses my interest around then and I start reading slower and slower until I stop. Then if I want to resume at some later time I have to start over because it is such a dense story.

Top Bottom