• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man wrongly imprisoned for 31 years awarded $75 for his trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes Boss!

Yeah let's hear the justice system out on this one guys, while an evidently innocent man's life is in the balance.

I respect the posts I've seen from you, but not this one.

I'm as liberal as it comes. From SF and Berkeley. But the tone here is just so frustrating. I don't mean to ruffle feathers. And I work in likely the most diverse american profession. I'm just exhausted with the hate and fuel.

daffy

Banned
Looks like they swerved on his exoneration partly based on his behavior in prison. Fucking sucks because he shouldn't have been in there that long in the first place. My heart weeps for the "dangerously" marginalized of this country.

e:
Yes Boss! said:
I'm as liberal as it comes. From SF and Berkeley. But the tone here is just so frustrating. I don't mean to ruffle feathers. And I work in likely the most diverse american profession. I'm just exhausted with the hate and fuel.
I'm exhausted too. But its symptomatic. People have come to expect to worst because the worst is to be expected.

The fuck. He got out because of the DNA evidence, yet that evidence isn't enough to find him innocent. How...what...this hurts my brain.

"Am I out of touch?

No, it's the DNA who are wrong."

Science can't overcome the feeling of being right, haven't y'all been paying attention?

It's not "hate" to look at incarceration and wrongful conviction records and see a pattern.

It's dreadfully painful to see people acknowledge institutional corruption but then frown at accusations at any individual instance.

sazzy

Really sorry to hear your feelings are hurt over black and brown people getting angry about the shit they face at the hands of white people.

Would you like to talk about it?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

What are you talking about?

Yes Boss!
Mildly Outraged by the Youth's Hate and Fuel
(Today, 12:16 AM)

Mr. X

Yet it's GAF posters deserving of this attitude, not the US justice system which continually fucks the black population?

Maybe you're directing this at the wrong target.

Yes Boss!

Looks like they swerved on his exoneration partly based on his behavior in prison. Fucking sucks because he shouldn't have been in there that long in the first place. My heart weeps for the "dangerously" marginalized of this country.

e:
I'm exhausted too. But its symptomatic. People have come to expect to worst because the worst is to be expected.

I've been out of the country for a few years. I don't even know what I'm coming back to. Is it really that bad in the states? Coming off of such a great 8 years it is so sad to see everybody so angry.

DavidDesu

Now that is a miscarriage of justice. Even upon release the guy's just tossed back out into the world with seemingly no support or anything. These people are subhuman, the ones who allow this to happen. That's a lot of people top to bottom. Urgh, there really is little hope for us right now is there, humans in general. I'd feel sick to my stomach being an American right now, but I'm trapped in the UK until Scotland votes for its independence and the UK is quickly catching up!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I've been out of the country for a few years. I don't even know what I'm coming back to. Is it really that bad in the states? Coming off of such a great 8 years it is so sad to see everybody so angry.

Where have you been? Mars?

Welcome back to the states.

I have to ask...what did you think was the state of race relations in the US when you left? In SF even?

People aren't angrier than ever. We have more evidence than before.

RinsFury

You're frustrated with the appalled and outraged tone in here? An innocent man has spent 31 years being brutalized in an inhuman and barbaric prison system. His only recompense is seventy-five piddly ass dollars. For 31 goddamn years.

So sorry that you're exhausted, though.

You're frustrated with the appalled and outraged tone in here? An innocent man has spent 31 years being brutalised in an inhuman and barbaric prison system. His only recompense is seventy-five piddly ass dollars. For 31 goddamn years.

So sorry that you're exhausted, though.

Can you even imagine 31 years.

Half of this forum would have to imagine their entire life to date, then do it all over again half way. That's how much time was stolen from this man. He shouldn't have to work another day in his life, on the state's dime.

There are not enough apologies that can be made for 31 years. Nothing match the time he's lost and the hardship he's experienced.

But they can try with millions.

Strike

Indeed. When the youth jumps to so many conclusions. It is mildly outraging.
IQzV7wA.gif

What? We literally spent eight years with stories about how Obama was not a natural-born citizen and thus should be impeached and imprisoned. It honestly sounds like you're taking a "racism is dead because we got a black president" angle, because you really seem to be using rose-tinted glasses if you think that the bad did not exist during the Obama admin.

Usobuko

Banned

The are two kinds of people who are angry.

The first is the oppressed people, demanding for equality against the injustices they face throughout their life.

The second is the oppressor or the apathy folks, who conveniently dismiss all the systemic racism in place against people who are different from them. This category gets mad when you point out their privileges and how devastating their diet racism is against the oppressed people.

But, the second category are also the majority or at least half of the populations so every time the oppressed folks have to or are expected coddle to them. Meeting midways against their privileges views when equality should be a clear cut right for everyone.

If you see angry people on GAF, the last thing you want to do is to point fingers at the oppressed. Not when Donald Trump is elected and his cabinet is filled with people with hateful history.

y'all responding to the obvious troll derailing the thread.

mission accomplished.

this man needs to get compensation since he didn't get justice for 31 years.

turtle553

If there was no malicious prosecution, it will be hard for him to get any compensation. Assuming the trial was fair and an eye-witness identified him, the state's liability would be limited. Sucks that it happened, but not probably not much will come from it.

31 years......and he gets 75 dollars......31 years that he can NEVER get back....and he only gets 75 dollars....31 FREAKIN YEARS AND HE ONLY GETS 75 DOLLARS?!?! What?! Are their hearts not working or something?! Why?! And they won't even give him 1 million?! Is there a place that we can help or a site???

PInk Tape

Banned
It's the American Criminal Justice System™ at work.

Putting an innocent black man in jail for 31 years and not even giving him proper compensation after the fact.

If there was no malicious prosecution, it will be hard for him to get any compensation. Assuming the trial was fair and an eye-witness identified him, the state's liability would be limited. Sucks that it happened, but not probably not much will come from it.

He also admitted to the burglary at a parole hearing 28 years later, although it's questionable if he was telling the truth then or merely acting on bad advice, but it is hurting his lawsuit.

Trojan X

Banned
of course he's black

they say there;s no evidence, but the dna evidence got him out of jail

what a fucking disgrace, this man deserves to be compensated, probably more than a million dollars

Should be compensated with a $1 million every 1 or 2 years. Too much of his life is removed so he is now screwed in every way. The justice system completely ruined his life.

Where have you been? Mars?

You know, if you compare how extreme fake news and its effects on people have gotten versus how they were 8 years ago, it actually would feel like you came from Mars.

I mean, I frequently, like in this case, have trouble even imagining how you would get to such an obviously inhumane situation to begin with. Or how Fox News is allowed to exist, the original fake news channel.

Hazmat

Texas, Texas, gives inmates $80,000 per year if they were wrongly imprisoned. When we here in the Lone Star State feel that this man is entitled to nearly $2.5 million, you really know how fucked up $75 is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom