• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tower of God

Caught up to it. Great story that makes up to the meh art.

Love Gator. Cant wait to see Koon revenge.

Noblesse

Loving it. Rai and Frankstein interactions are hilarious.

The current arc is gonna give some anwers about the past.

Nice seeing more people picking them up.
I need to catch up to the latest chapter of TOG.

survivor

Banned
Now that Im kind of conditioned for slice of life manga (that thing says its like my fifth favorite genre of manga), Ill probably check it out eventually, though the yotsuba character type are the female characters that Im kind of a bit afraid of...
If you had to choose one slice of life manga to read then go with Seishun Kouryakuhon first. Suits your taste much better

so I was like

WOW NEW MARCH LION

but then I remember nothing about the manga

and it was only like 20 pages long

and it'll be 80 days until the next chapter

How much of the manga is about shogi?

Makes me wonder why Viz has been ignoring it given it's from same author of Honey and Clover. That should make the marketing much easier for them

I started reading Girls of the Wild's as well. Cool stuff.

Damn you:p. I heard good things about it, but there are too many manga to read. I have been delaying reading Shin Angyo Onshi for ever now. I gotta catch up on Medaka, TOG, Kuroko no basket, first. Then i will read Girls of the wild and Soul Cartel.

survivor

Banned
Moteki 1-3

This is so much better than the live action version due to Kubo's amazing art. Too bad the translations are dead and no one will pick it up again

My Neighbors the Yamadas is the best slice of life manga imo.
Shin Chan is pretty good too.

Solanin is the best slice of life manga ever

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Turn off images.

Same. I agree that full pages are too much but small panels that are SFW add a bit of flavor to the posts. If the thread was a wall of text, I'm sure it would be boring. It's already like a big 3 wiki on Wed and that's enough. This is a visual medium after-all so yes to tasteful panels. In fact, I would be quite annoyed if we turned into a bunch of text humpers each and every week.

Tone down the complaints though or you are going to wet-blanket the thread. People should not post full pages or pics that would be NSFW. Leave it at that.

My problem isn't NSFW, per se, it's the fact that every other post is a huge full page scan. I'm simply suggesting we keep the image sizes down and/or stick to single panels. It's starts to look super cluttered and difficult to scroll through when every other post is a full page scan from whatever issue the poster happens to be reading.

Kurita

I prefer humorous slice of life mangas. And the yonkoma format is perfect.
But I'll give Solanin, Kimi to Boku and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou a shot.

survivor

Banned
I prefer humorous slice of life mangas. And the yonkoma format is perfect.
But I'll give Solanin, Kimi to Boku and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou a shot.

My problem with 4koma manga is a lot of times the anime adaptation is just so much more superior that it's pointless to read them. The only one that I liked and still read it occasionally every couple of years is Azumanga Daioh

edit: for humour slice of life, read Again. Solid entertaining stuff so far from the first two volumes and it has great art.

Kurita

My problem with 4koma manga is a lot of times the anime adaptation is just so much more superior that it's pointless to read them. The only one that I liked and still read it occasionally every couple of years is Azumanga Daioh

I think there's only a movie for the Yamadas so the manga might be better.
But to be honest I don't know a lot of 4koma, so if you could recommend me some mangas... Thanks.

EDIT : I'll read Again, thanks.

scy

Still waiting for Yandere Kanojo anime.

survivor

Banned
I think there's only a movie for the Yamadas so the manga might be better.
But to be honest I don't know a lot of 4koma, so if you could recommend me some mangas... Thanks.

EDIT : I'll read Again, thanks.

Out of the ones I read, the only one where reading the manga is still good is Seitokai Yakuindomo. I mean I guess the anime could be funnier for some people, but at the end, it's all the same shit of girls saying dirty jokes over and over again which I found surprisingly entertaining.

Also, avoid reading Working or K-On. Just watch the much much more superior anime adaptations, especially for K-On.

Just do the superior GX. Or just read Battle City.
Battle City was the best thing to come out of YGO, so much hype from the god cards

gunbo13

My problem isn't NSFW, per se, it's the fact that every other post is a huge full page scan. I'm simply suggesting we keep the image sizes down and/or stick to single panels. It's starts to look super cluttered and difficult to scroll through when every other post is a full page scan from whatever issue the poster happens to be reading.
I'm not going to fight you on that. Agreed.

I also think volume covers are alright like Lain/survivor post. And an example of an OK panel I think would just be one of the girl shots from Nisekoi or something. No spoilers and just kind of fun.

OEFUI.jpg

Flawless victory.

recton:
I stole this image. Normally I'd shrink.

Lain

How much of the manga is about shogi?

Makes me wonder why Viz has been ignoring it given it's from same author of Honey and Clover. That should make the marketing much easier for them

Shogi takes a fair bit of the manga, though the day to day and drama things are also important.

I wonder if H&C sold well in America? I know it didn't sell all that well here (so March releasing here surprised me).

survivor

Banned
Shogi takes a fair bit of the manga, though the day to day and drama things are also important.

I wonder if H&C sold well in America? I know it didn't sell all that well here (so March releasing here surprised me).

I don't know any sales figures for H&C or if Viz expressed any disappointments about H&C sales but I know that it never managed to chart in the top 750 graphic novels sales list by BookScan for either 2008 or 2009.

Kusagari

Akame ga Kill:

I still have no idea where this is leading. It would be easy to simply say this is the end of the Esdese switches sides hopes, but there were two things in this chapter that make me think it isn't.

1. Tatsumi has clearly grown feelings for Esdese. He might fight her, but it's hard to imagine him actually being able to kill her now. That still leaves the open the possibility of another member killing her though.

2. The most important clue was Esdese's father saying that she "might be missing something in return" for being such a natural hunter. I really don't think this was a throwaway line. Tatsumi at some point might be able to make her retrieve the humanity and empathy that she was missing since birth.

Of course, this manga isn't exactly the happiest. And we might simply get the more realistic take that someone like Esdese is truly beyond saving.

Akame ga Kill:

I still have no idea where this is leading. It would be easy to simply say this is the end of the Esdese switches sides hopes, but there were two things in this chapter that make me think it isn't.

1. Tatsumi has clearly grown feelings for Esdese. He might fight her, but it's hard to imagine him actually being able to kill her now. That still leaves the open the possibility of another member killing her though.

2. The most important clue was Esdese's father saying that she "might be missing something in return" for being such a natural hunter. I really don't think this was a throwaway line. Tatsumi at some point might be able to make her retrieve the humanity and empathy that she was missing since birth.

Of course, this manga isn't exactly the happiest. And we might simply get the more realistic take that someone like Esdese is truly beyond saving.
Yeah, it's hard to predict how things are going to go in this one. If anything changes, I would guess it would revolve around that blood teigu, despite the fact that she was pretty much already like this before getting it.

survivor

Banned
Perowan 7

lPIpP.png

I see, having sex with your dog that turned into a cute girl isn't wrong, however since you consider the dog to be family then it's totally wrong and unacceptable.

---

On another note, I'm considering starting Prince of Tennis. I know it's crap bullshit shounen power sports manga, but it won't be boring.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Akame ga Kill:

A heel-face turn would be pretty hard to pull of at this point, but I get the impression the author thinks he really hit something by this Esdese-Tatsumi thing. Given Esdese's personality, she is probably going to end up being turned on by fighting him.

Kreed

Jumping into the images debate, I browse this thread at work as well and I have to agree it is really annoying when "smut gaf" starts image spamming pictures of dudes with glowing crotches, but usually the images posted in this thread aren't too bad/too big of an issue as long as they aren't too numerous on a single page IMO.

fertygo

I don't find PoT any boring tbh, the last tournament was a major fail though.

Maybe I just like individual showdown aspect in sport (even in the real thing), same reason why I like Kuroko too.

gunbo13

I'm surprised that you guys browse this thread at work with images on. Putting "smutgaf images" aside, there are inappropriate gifs and avatars all over gaf. Plus, if my co-workers saw tons of animu stuff on my monitor, that would be awkward.

I turn images off via the browser. No issues here.

Kreed

I'm surprised that you guys browse this thread at work with images on. Putting "smutgaf images" aside, there are inappropriate gifs and avatars all over gaf. Plus, if my co-workers saw tons of animu stuff on my monitor, that would be awkward.

I turn images off via the browser. No issues here.

The rest of gaf/other sites I browse at work aren't an issue and I usually try to avoid reading or viewing anything that would be questionable if another coworker came to my desk so I never have a need to block images. And usually this thread is fine since I'm just reading manga chapter reviews most of the time. It's just that every once and a while I run into an "Aunt Tits" day or something along those lines and I have to bail out on the thread. It's not bad enough of a problem to complain to be honest, I'm just giving my two cents.

Ah fuck it, I will read Eyeshield 21 instead

Keep in mind I only saw the anime, but after a while, it was just the same thing OVER AND OVER. I know a lot of shounen are repetitive, but PoT is just so damn predictable and has barely any variety. If it was all like the movie, it would be awesome, but it just got old fast imo.

Maybe I just like individual showdown aspect in sport (even in the real thing), same reason why I like Kuroko too.

I can only say for New Prince of Tennis, but I found it not boring for probably reasons the writer did not intend, well I guess it is possible they were intended reasons but still. But of the sports series I do follow, I think it was boring tennis wise as lots of time is just spent, well training, whereas in Area no Kishi lots of Soccer and Kuroko tons of BAsketball, and nice amounts of soccer in Ginga e Kickoff.

So I guess it just needed more balance in character stuff and tennis.

survivor

Banned
Pure Water Adolescence vol 1 End

QNRLM.jpg

Came across this while randomly looking for manga to read, only picked it up cause it had an awesome cover plus I saw the yuri tag.

It's about a student-teacher romance with Nanao falling in love with the school's doctor, Matsumoto. Pretty funny how their relationship starts by Nanao telling Matsumoto to stop calling her by her first name cause it make her heart hurt which led to Matsumoto kissing Nanao.

The focus on the age gap between them and how it will affect their relationship was alright. The main conflict arose from the fact that Nanao is throwing away her future trying to become a teacher and go to a nearby university just so she can stay by Matsumoto's side which results in some fighting between the two. One odd thing about the age gap is having Matsumoto showing some restraint just cause Nanao is a student. Seemed kinda pointless given all the other things they do.

At the end of the volume, the author was writing comments on each chapter and why she drew each particular story and telling random facts. That was pretty cool thing that I don't see that often in other manga. Like for example, she wanted to end the manga on a more depressing note cause that's what she is used to writing, however she was told by the editors to end it on a more happy note.

Sports manga with individual focus like Zero for boxing and Ping Pong are my favourites given that they don't drag on for a long time.

Keep in mind I only saw the anime, but after a while, it was just the same thing OVER AND OVER. I know a lot of shounen are repetitive, but PoT is just so damn predictable and has barely any variety. If it was all like the movie, it would be awesome, but it just got old fast imo.

I also heard the MC never loses any matches

scy

You read it for the crazy attacks, basically. There's some surprise win/losses but, yeah, I guess it is kind of predictable. But, really, that's the genre for the most part.

I can only say for New Prince of Tennis, but I found it not boring for probably reasons the writer did not intend, well I guess it is possible they were intended reasons but still. But of the sports series I do follow, I think it was boring tennis wise as lots of time is just spent, well training, whereas in Area no Kishi lots of Soccer and Kuroko tons of BAsketball, and nice amounts of soccer in Ginga e Kickoff.

So I guess it just needed more balance in character stuff and tennis.

To be fair, New Prince of Tennis is basically a giant training arc right now. Prince of Tennis is basically matches to matches to matches.

Sora no Otoshimono 61-62

Tomoyo returns!

2 great chapters in a row. We finally get to see Tomiki's father and 2 new potential additions to the harem! This arc is going to be great and probably lead to some advancements in the overarching plot.

Seishun Kouryakuhon 1
tumblr_m7p5j2WhUq1qbxqfpo1_250.png

Heh this was as good as I expected it to be even the actual plot. The female interest really served as a great point to drive the characters development. Though it fortunately was extremely overshadowed by the intense Kurata Isezaki friendship, which was pretty awesome. I hope the rest of the chapters follow suit though with the other two as well developing this further through typical school life and reflection of life stuff.

And I was actually feeling all happy and stuff during the intense climax part and then the goal, it was good.

survivor

Banned
Seishun Kouryakuhon 1

Heh this was as good as I expected it to be even the actual plot. The female interest really served as a great point to drive the characters development. Though it fortunately was extremely overshadowed by the intense Kurata Isezaki friendship, which was pretty awesome. I hope the rest of the chapters follow suit though with the other two as well developing this further through typical school life and reflection of life stuff.

And I was actually feeling all happy and stuff during the intense climax part and then the goal, it was good.

Every boy gets his own chapter focusing on his own problems and love life, but in general Isezaki and Kurata get more focus than the other two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom