• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
It's not the worst, but it's the most argued for. I don't know why. It's easily replaceable.

Because Kaizoku-Fansubs was lazy, and not wanting to translate Luffy's deceleration of friendship they put a disclaimer saying "NAKAMA IS A MAGICAL WORD THAT MUST NEVER BE TRANSLATED!" a few episodes prior. K-F has their share of problems, like claiming they would quit when consistent DVDs came out, but didn't because "they don't like Luffy's Funimation voice". Uh-huh.

The best part? Funimation has licensed up to Episode 336, way past their current point. Meaning they will soon be obsolete.

2San

Dude I know all of the words they're using. There is no reason they can't use Brother/Bro for Aniki and Lady/Miss for Ojou-sama depending on the situation. Yakuza can stay the same because it has a cultural relevance.
While I agree. I do think Aniki/Onii-chan can't be simply replaced. From what I see, it's a really quick way to have insight of the relationship between. It feels odd to ignore this. Though some localizations, mostly in videogames seem to handle this just fine.

I see we are going threw the translation phase again , people should translation most stuff but sometimes also try and keep it in context for the anime \ manga .

looks like princess resurrection is starting its final arc this november.

Another manga i have to catch up to and finish read when last arc done .

dramatis

Until Death Do Us Part [1-5]

The main character is overwhelmingly Badass.

It feels kind of slow paced, but the action pages are good enough to make up for it.

Kreed

Fairy Tail 294:

Really disappointing battle, even worse than the Grimoire Heart battles. This was hyped up on the level of Gajeel vs Natsu and instead we get a battle on the lines of Natsu's introduction. Definitely not expecting anything from next week's chapter even with additional power up forms (which Natsu and Gajeel will promptly copy).

Claymore 129:

Nice to see Claire back but her rescue and this chapter in general felt rushed and way too "easy" after all this time (maybe editor pressure, but who knows). Even just a little fight from the monster vs Raki's "tears" would have gone a long way to make her rescue more credible. And the "horror" of the Claymore body was just silly.

Still, the manga going forward will be much better with characters we actually give a damn about back in the story vs the "female expendables".

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Sorry, 'nakama' is a term fraught with cultural relevations that are too important to scrunchion away in the name of localelizations.

That, or it basically means "close friends." The mere fact it takes a second adjective to convey its meaning does not mean the word should remain untranslated.

(I'm assuming you're being sarcastic, but there are people that really do love that fucking word remaining untranslated at all times).

That, or it basically means "close friends." The mere fact it takes a second adjective to convey its meaning does not mean the word should remain untranslated.

(I'm assuming you're being sarcastic, but there are people that really do love that fucking word remaining untranslated at all times).

Its recent usage in fairy tail felt awkward...I hope Kodansha USA doesnt do that when they get to that point.

Claymore 129:

Nice to see Claire back but her rescue and this chapter in general felt rushed and way too "easy" after all this time (maybe editor pressure, but who knows). Even just a little fight from the monster vs Raki's "tears" would have gone a long way to make her rescue more credible. And the "horror" of the Claymore body was just silly.

Still, the manga going forward will be much better with characters we actually give a damn about back in the story vs the "female expendables".

Yeah i really expect the horror part to be worst , it just one long scar .

survivor

Banned
That's why I prefer professional translation.

Professional ones in general are pretty good especially when handled by good people

Light novel translations are even worse than the worst of manga translations. Some of that shit gets too unreadable and it's not like there are pictures to make me understand shit better.

Kurita

Light novel translations are even worse than the worst of manga translations. Some of that shit gets too unreadable and it's not like there are pictures to make me understand shit better.
Why would one read fantranslated books ?

And yes, when good people translate a manga, you know it.
The french translation of Bobobo... Seriously, I loved it. And then tried to read a fan translated chapter, it was painful.

Professional ones in general are pretty good especially when handled by good people

I just happy that people take the time to do some , some light novels are really hard to translate like Index , Horizon for eg .

And yes, when good people translate a manga, you know it.
The french translation of Bobobo... Seriously, I loved it. And then tried to read a fan translated chapter, it was painful.

Because sometimes it's the only way to read them in the first place , some of my favorite anime are base on light novels and they never come over in english .

survivor

Banned
I don't know man, I just wanted to give LNs a try and see what I was missing out on.

I just happy that people take the time to do some , some light novels are really hard to translate like Index for eg .

Yeah but some of them leave words like "okaa-sama", "buchou", "itadakimasu" and "oneesama" untranslated and it just makes no sense why they would do that

Articalys

Everyone probably has their own sliding scale for how much localization is too much/not enough, depending on the series, and that's all I have to say about that.

survivor

Banned
I guess Another would be my first LN (since its coming over)...I wish the No.6 one would come since its anime was so short.

Are horizon on the middle of nowhere considered, LNs?

Probably not but I'm not sure if LN is just a term given to how the book is published or if actual page length plays a role
S7Afi.jpg

Because sometimes it's the only way to read them in the first place , some of my favorite anime are base on light novels and they never come over in english .

Pretty much.

Happened to Haruhi, Shana, etc for a while until they finally got more animated material.

And for some series the light novels/novels are the only thing we have left (Spice and Wolf, Banner of the Stars) but mostly remain untranslated :( (though Spice is getting localized albeit very slowly)

Everyone probably has their own sliding scale for how much localization is too much/not enough, depending on the series, and that's all I have to say about that.

Agreed.

I don't know man, I just wanted to give LNs a try and see what I was missing out on.

Yeah but some of them leave words like "okaa-sama", "buchou", "itadakimasu" and "oneesama" untranslated and it just makes no sense why they would do that

That is true but for me i have been watching , reading stuff for so long that they get translate automatically in my head and i don't even notice it .
Sometimes when i watch stuff now i can tell when people translate stuff wrong or way out of context which is now annoying .

I guess Another would be my first LN (since its coming over)...I wish the No.6 one would come since its anime was so short.
Are horizon on the middle of nowhere considered, LNs?

yes horizon is a LN even thought it is really long compare to others .

And for some series the light novels/novels are the only thing we have left (Spice and Wolf, Banner of the Stars) but mostly remain untranslated :( (though Spice is getting localized albeit very slowly)Agreed.

If we were still get fan translation for Spice and Wolf it would have most likely done by now instead we have to wait 4 or 5 years and they might not even finish it :(
Man i would love a new Banner of the Stars anime , i love that series so much .

Articalys

Oh, I did get curious and decide to look this up, though:
Wasn't bocchan Kaoru's nickname in Sakamichi No Apollon ?
and I found the explanation "Sentarou decides to call Kaoru "Bon" - which happens to be short for "Bonbon-dono," a Kansai term for a naive man from a wealthy family." So there you go.

Kurita

Oh, I did get curious and decide to look this up, though:

and I found the explanation "Sentarou decides to call Kaoru "Bon" - which happens to be short for "Bonbon-dono," a Kansai term for a naive man from a wealthy family." So there you go.
Thanks, so "Richie" was an accurate translation.

If we were still get fan translation for Spice and Wolf it would have most likely done by now instead we have to wait 4 or 5 years and they might not even finish it :(
Man i would love a new Banner of the Stars anime , i love that series so much .

And that's one of my fears with S&W novels but here's to hoping they keep at it till then.

As for Banner i would love one too and it should be a series again so no OVA like the 3rd one. It still pains me to this day that Tokyopop couldn't get the Banner novels translated :(

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
And that's one of my fears with S&W novels but here's to hoping they keep at it till then.

As for Banner i would love one too and it should be a series again so no OVA like the 3rd one. It still pains me to this day that Tokyopop couldn't get the Banner novels translated :(

How many are there, they are coming up on 6. I just wish they had an e-book version.

Dresden

Caught up on Again!!--it's a promising manga, and I like the main trio, but I hope the whole cheer-squad arc gets resolved soon and he won't have to stay in the club. That shit is lame and Usami (along with almost everyone involved in that mess) are horrible people.

The art is actually pretty nice, especially for a weekly manga. Looking forward to more.

PNGZ9.png

Solune

Olympos

Read it in one sitting, overall the character art was good but the setting taking place in basically two locations and no real background art other than the miniature garden is disappointing. This coupled along with what is essentially pure dialogue can be very offputting. It was a somewhat intriguing take on Greek Mythology but Greek Mythology is completely overdone. I liked it overall but it can be pretty dull and overall the tone is somewhat hopeless even during the ending.

gunbo13

I only know what yakuza and aniki mean and I read/watch a lot of manga/anime

I have failed as a weaboo
Even ojou for ojou-sama? See people, this is what happens when you skip panels.

retcon:
PS: Fuck you survivor, I aint no weeaboo.
Dude I know all of the words they're using. There is no reason they can't use Brother/Bro for Aniki and Lady/Miss for Ojou-sama depending on the situation. Yakuza can stay the same because it has a cultural relevance.
If you know what they mean, then why do you care?

I'm not defending or endorsing the practice. But some groups tend to translate more to their readers then outside interest. The bigger issue with localization lies elsewhere... There is no reason to not translate these words to English except catering to an audience. That's what they did/do, so you read on or drop.
Localization discussion?

Getting the fuck out of this thread for awhile!
Everything should be translated into Old English. Except for Old English type characters who should get a salsa treatment.

Yureka

Caught up to whatever's out.

Decentish. It is getting too confusing when its dealing with the real world stuff but the fights are least pretty decent. It does get me into MMO mode a little.

Dresden

Magi 116

Fuck yeah, the crux chapter. Sinbad's rival is revealed, Alibaba NTRs the homicidal psycho princess, and it looks like shit it going to get real again.

survivor

Banned
Hanamatsuri vol 1 End
DhMXh.png

In a society where money is king, the young men known as "flowers" hold a special role. In exchange for the financial support of those who have the means to patronize them, they serve their flower masters as symbols of taste, status, and wealth. Bought and sold at the whim of their masters, theirs is a precarious existence - save for the few who are lucky enough to have masters who can see the person behind the flower.

The premise of the manga has to be one of the most creative deliberate attempt to be able to draw women, call them guys, and get away with it just cause flowers have to be very pretty. Not that I'm complaining that much since Aki is truly a great artist and I love her character designs. Sure there wasn't that much variations in this manga since most of the flowers were just Fujiwaka clones and the only different flower was the one that had black hair. It also makes me wonder what reading an Aki manga without predominately male cast would feel like. I'd imagine it would be extremely difficult to tell the gender of the characters without being explicitly told about it.

The main theme of the manga was about the relation between different flower masters and their flowers where the only connection between them is that all the flowers come from Haruou's school so him and Fujiwaka show up in every chapter. There was nice variations in each of the stories and they all covered different type of flowers and some of the problems they face with their flower masters. There was Nagayoshi and his quest to get Fujiwaka which ended in failure after he witness Fujiwaka's care for his master Haruou. Oumi's chapter was pretty interesting as it showed that not all flowers are perfect and sometimes it's difficult to live with them, especially when your flower is as clumsy and useless as Inuou. I did have a lot of trouble telling the difference between Inuou and Fujiwaka and was mostly confused as to why Haruou was selling his flower to Oumi. Then I realized they were two different people. The last chapter covered a more interesting relation as it was the only one where the flower, Hanabishi, hated its master, Haruomi.

The manga was really a missed opportunity. The entire concept of flowers was very interesting and there could have been more better ways to explore it such as what happens when your flower master is an asshole, or what happens to flowers when they get old and ugly, but these seem to be more darker themes that this manga wasn't particularly interested in exploring. There was also way too much dialogues that made this a very slow read. Sort of understandable when there are no action scenes but I wish we got more normal panels without having them covered in dialogue panels.

Caught up on Again!!--it's a promising manga, and I like the main trio, but I hope the whole cheer-squad arc gets resolved soon and he won't have to stay in the club. That shit is lame and Usami (along with almost everyone involved in that mess) are horrible people.
no u

The art is really good and a big step up from her previous manga 3.3.7 Byooshi. It's very similar to her art in Moteki.

Olympos

Read it in one sitting, overall the character art was good but the setting taking place in basically two locations and no real background art other than the miniature garden is disappointing. This coupled along with what is essentially pure dialogue can be very offputting. It was a somewhat intriguing take on Greek Mythology but Greek Mythology is completely overdone. I liked it overall but it can be pretty dull and overall the tone is somewhat hopeless even during the ending.
That seems like a common theme in all of her manga

Did you like how Olympos' Hades was a cute pretty boy unlike the Western equivalent?

Hanamatsuri vol 1 End
http://i.imgur.com/DhMXh.png[/ig]
The main theme of the manga was about the relation between different flower masters and their flowers where the only connection between them is that all the flowers come from Haruou's school so him and Fujiwaka show up in every chapter. There was nice variations in each of the stories and they all covered different type of flowers and some of the problems they face with their flower masters. There was Nagayoshi and his quest to get Fujiwaka which ended in failure after he witness Fujiwaka's care for his master Haruou. Oumi's chapter was pretty interesting as it showed that not all flowers are perfect and sometimes it's difficult to live with them, especially when your flower is as clumsy and useless as Inuou. I did have a lot of trouble telling the difference between Inuou and Fujiwaka and was mostly confused as to why Haruou was selling his flower to Oumi. Then I realized they were two different people. The last chapter covered a more interesting relation as it was the only one where the flower, Hanabishi, hated its master, Haruomi.
[/QUOTE]

It seems it would be more compelling if it were done in a sort of dark futuristic world, at least its plot does sound like it could also work in such a setting, and the initial premise somehow reminded me of Ai no Kusabi

Defuser

Magi
I wouldn't think my joke of the princess falling for Alibaba would sooner or later would come true but damn sure it would be hilarious when it ever does!

Magi

Prince Zuko brothers looks the snob royalty type.

Zuko lost his arm for good but it seems he will
get a plant arm

Alibaba following Sinbad footsteps lol.

Wa! 01-17

Ah, this is such a funny series. 4-koma style, works really well. I like all the whole love circle going on and great jokes too.

I formally renounce my complaints about the HST being stupid as hell in terms of power levels. I just went old-school again. Some of the manga back in the 90s (Saint Seiya, Tenchi Muyo, Sailor Moon, etc) were absolutely fucking atrocious with the amount of dumb shit. Nostalgia how does it work. :/

Girl of the Wild 51

Dat dirty elbow attack, holy shit.

Jojolion 13

Caught up with it. The Jojo(?) has
4 testicles lol

So the GPS is an ally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom