• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly

Fairy Tail
Damn fucking owned. I have to say Fairy Tail is probably tied with One Piece as my most anticipated manga of the week.

Wiseblade

Fairy Tail
Damn fucking owned. I have to say Fairy Tail is probably tied with One Piece as my most anticipated manga of the week.
ibfGjy7WabQEcx.gif

These are dark time we're living in.

dramatis

From the color pages thread on MH. It's probably from this week's WSJ issue, maybe it will be available in better quality when the new chapter is released.
Yes, it's the color page for this week's Nisekoi.

Her dress is a bit weird though. Maybe Naoshi should ask Kubo for some fashion advice.

Chapter's about meeting Marika's dad.

Akito

TWGOK
Still have no idea what's really going on, the pace of the new arc is pretty poor so far.

Buyuden
Papa Isamu was a former boxer, this shit is pretty obvious. Take will get his permission to attend the school then.

Fairy Tail
I wanted to call "anticlimatic" considering how Natsu and Gajeel have curb-stomped the dragon slayers but it seems like they still have something up their sleeves.

Articalys

I only check up the threads on Otaku Shoten section since they are good sources for cool pictures and info.

I also visit the Seinen and Shoujo/Josei sections once in a while to get new stuff to read.
I can't imagine how long it takes this Oberon fellow to track down and compile all those scans. Jesus...

ryan13ts

Fairy Tail is formulaic garbage.

I'd argue that 75% of most manga series are formulaic, that doesn't make them garbage though. It's fine if you don't like *insert series*, but please save the elitist crap. Just because you find a series garbage, doesn't make it a fact.

PK Gaming

And? It's not like you can't enjoy trashy manga. This is an online forum, so you're bound to run into dissenting opinion.

Deadly considered this FT chapter to be on par with OP (it really wasn't bad). It has nothing to do with you.

Fairy Tail

That was one helluva an amazing chapter. I was hoping to see dragon force. I am a bit disappointed that Gajeel does not even know about dragon force.

I'd argue that 75% of most manga series are formulaic, that doesn't make them garbage though. It's fine if you don't like *insert series*, but please save the elitist crap. Just because you find a series garbage, doesn't make it a fact.

Bravo.

gunbo13

Maybe Naoshi should ask Kubo for some fashion advice.
The only things Naoshi draws well are interesting faces and gag panels. Some of his body positioning and proportions make me cringe.
The greater fault with Fairy Tail is how terrible the characters are, especially Natsu. Formulaic is pretty meaningless in comparison.

survivor

Banned
She has zero chance, the mangaka is just milking her popularity until its dry, at which point he tosses in a new girl key.

I will never accept this reality. Marika will be the winner in my mind

Also, C82 is upon us, should we be expecting anything from Nisekoi or still too soon?

scy

She has zero chance, the mangaka is just milking her popularity until its dry, at which point he tosses in a new girl key.

Harems in a nutshell, pretty much.

Maybe we need more harems with a curveball ending.

Chitoge forever don't fuck with this ohgod

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Fairy Fail - F
Oh, look, the hyped up antagonists are getting owned while the main characters hardly have a scratch on them because they're fighting for their "Nakama". Where have I seen this before? Oh yeah, every other FT arc.
Give it a rest Hiro. These guy's have been training hard for 7 long years while Natsu gets a random plot induced power up from Ultear, which apparently puts him on such a high level it's basically rape. Woah, they've gone Dragon Force! But judging from that shitacular performance earlier they stand no chance one Natsu goes DF too. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even push Natsu that far considering how crap Hiro is at fight scences.
We all know this'll end with a Nakama Punch, and we all know that's how all arcs will end.

Also Rogue, you have a Katana. Use it.

Pandora Hearts 30

Could only read half earlier, but now finished the chapter. Dont really understand what has been going on since they even entered the theater, I think its getting a bit too deep to me, with this Will of the Abyss that can make all possibilities happen. Only thing I clearly understood was someone took Break's eye for whatever reason he was in the abyss for, and gave it to Cheshire. I want oz to be the focus again.

Could someone tell me the name of this rather recent , kinda surreal, sci fi manga that takes place entirely in this concrete maze that seems to go on forever. And it seemed to have something to do with robots as well. I really want to read it but can't recall the name of it.

Fairy Tail

Damn, Sting and Rogue are getting their asses beat. They were hyped up so much, and they already gotta pull out their super forms. I probably should have known this when we saw their stats and they weren't really any higher than Natsu's.

Could someone tell me the name of this rather recent , kinda surreal, sci fi manga that takes place entirely in this concrete maze that seems to go on forever. And it seemed to have something to do with robots as well. I really want to read it but can't recall the name of it.

"Blame!"?

dramatis

Koi no Cupid Yakeno Harajin

Yoshimaru has a crush on his childhood friend, Yuriko. She's about to leave their school and go to America to get married. While Yoshimaru flounders for a way to confess to her, and finally gives up and tries to wish her happiness, the former demon lord (now Love Cupid) Yakeno Harajin shows up to help Yoshimaru.

ibj5Ag36G37wKT.jpg

It's pretty much a cheesy romance movie with a wacky demon in it. I have no idea how old these kids are (they look pretty young), but Yuriko's fiance comes to Japan and forces her to get married right then and there. Then there's mafia and a terrible villain and Harajin collapsing a building and breaking helicopter blades with his bare hands. Art isn't much to write home about, but the reaction faces are A+.

Not as good as Goblin Night though, and it's actually pretty mediocre overall.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
there's no time im more proud of mangaf than when some lost soul comes wondering in, with an ambiguous description of some random manga, wondering what it is. wondering if anyone knows what they may be talking about and then less than 10 posts later some savior answers their call

praise aizen

there's no time im more proud of mangaf than when some lost soul comes wondering in, with an ambiguous description of some random manga, wondering what it is. wondering if anyone knows what they may be talking about and then less than 10 posts later some savior answers their call

praise aizen

Yeah, it's a damn good community for stuff like that, especially with people like flawfuls.

E8 was worth it if only for the reactions from everyone. Oh my god I have never seen trolling like that, what the hell kind of company throws that much money away just to troll?

They also most loads of money from it , it was awesome seeing anime forums around that time lol.

survivor

Banned
Sora to Hara vol 1 End

tEB2u.jpg

Hara a single, lonely 37 years old highschool teacher is unable to cope the departure of a student, who is also his subject of unrequited love. Faced with a love sickness, he returns to the clubbing scene to start a fresh where he tangles up with a very troublesome guy...

The cover of this manga really caught my attention. It's pretty much the only reason I read it without bothering with the plot summary or looking up the author's other works. I always love these type of shots and it's also so colourful.

I feel like I shouldn't have started with this manga after reading it. Apparently this is a side story of a manga called Sotsugyousei. I don't really know if I missed anything relevant to this story cause from the plot summary Sotsugyousei only focuses on Kusakabe and Sajou and they didn't play a big role in this story. I was sorta hoping the parent story or its sequel would cover Hibki and Arisaka as they were far more interesting.

I'd say the biggest problem with the manga is trying to cram too many relationships into only one volume. So first we got Hara and Sorano which while we spent the most time on both these characters, I still found their character development to be weak and not convincing. Sorano just got attached to his teacher for no well explained reason. Then there is Sajou and Kusakabe romance which didn't that much screentime, but that's understandable since this manga is just a sidestory of their original story. It explains why I found it weird that for someone like Sajou who is supposed to be extremely important to Hara, to barely got any developments outside of the fake date with Hara. Then we got Fujino, who is supposed to be Sorano's previous love interest that rejected him. Again, he just showed up for one chapter without much development or focus centered around him.

This only leaves Arisaka and Hibiki and they are an interesting couple. Arisaka acts as the person that tried to get involved with Hara while Hara was a student himself. This offers a nice parallel to Hara's dilemma with Sajou and Sorano. Arisaka is struggling with his relationship with Hibiki who he promised to date once he graduates from school, which is similar to Hara and his deal with Sorano even though he keeps denying his attempts. The manga ends with a big showdown between Arisaka and Hibiki's mother regarding their relationship and it involves both Hara and Sorano as well. While this type of conflict was interesting, I didn't like how it was quickly thrown in. There really should have been more chapters dedicated to Arisaka and Hibki to flesh out their characters more. I would be in favour of another sidestory focusing on them just like this one focused on Hara and Sorano.

I still find it funny how Hara spends the entire time telling Sorano to back off and that he doesn't do anything with his students but then he says fuck it all in the end and they make out. Second manga I read with this type of relationship that ends in the same way.

Bossun

Come on it's not a question of taste but fairy tail is totally shit in all aspects, the only thing keeping the serie up is the fan service.

Sora to Hara vol 1 End

http://i.imgur.com/tEB2u.jpg?2[/im]

I feel like I shouldn't have started with this manga after reading it. Apparently this is a side story of a manga called Sotsugyousei. I don't really know if I missed anything relevant to this story cause from the plot summary Sotsugyousei only focuses on Kusakabe and Sajou and they didn't play a big role in this story. I was sorta hoping the parent story or its sequel would cover Hibki and Arisaka as they were far more interesting. [/quote]

I liked Sotsugyousei. I cant remember why I dont even have this story on my plan to read list (probably cause Im usually turned off by ones focusing on differents characters each chapter) or I guess I just never heard of this one until reading your post.

Kusagari

Medaka Box 157:

Yeah, I have no idea what is going on. All I got out of this chapter was Medaka's dad is a pimp and Ajimu and Kumagawa are mega trolls for saying coming back from the dead is impossible.

Erigu

[Suzumiya Haruhi no Yûutsu]
Watch season 1.
Skip season 2.
Watch the movie.
There's a "season 2" episode that you'll want to watch before the movie...

Meh. Just watch everything.
As for Endless Eight, just skip to the end of that story if you get bored. Simple enough.

Medaka Box

So if Medaka doesn't actually care about the game, why can't she just sick Ajimu on them and release the hostages within a nanosecond? Guess we'll find out next chapter!

survivor

Banned
Living Game vol 3
PXGlX.jpg

I should have realized that this series isn't a romance slice of life manga, but instead it's just a 10 volumes manga criticizing why living in Tokyo sucks. Getting a decent apartment sucks, buying a house sucks, and finding good parking spot sucks. This is why I hate living in busy cities, too crowded and always dirty.

The old man giving the land deed to Fuwa was really surprising and unrealistic. I sorta understand that they have a long relationship as business partners, but still, I don't think giving away your land to a stranger is ever a good idea. At least at the end, Fuwa refused the land so the old man just sold it to build an apartment complex.

There were a lot of misunderstandings in this volume between Izumi and Fuwa but they generally got resolved pretty fast so they didn't go into rage territory yet. I'm also surprised the Moeko subplot got resolved pretty fast, I thought they would play the whole "Izumi is jealous of Moeko" thing a bit more, but it looks like they will do that with Tokiko. And speaking of that, I'm glad she is back again. Yeah sure, the author is just reusing that point and I would have thought that Tokiko has resolved her issues with her husband, but who cares, she is a fun character and I want to see more of her.

Living Game vol 4
Mioi6.jpg

I thought Mitsuo's company going bankrupt was gonna last for a long time but they really got over it pretty fast. It did change the dynamics and I think Mitsuo and Tokiko are living beside Fuwa and Izumi in the same apartment right now but I haven't seen them after they moved in so who knows if that will be relevant to the plot. I did like the focus they gave on Komada, the poor guy, he is Mitsuo's second wife lol. I did feel very bad for Fuwa during that time since he got even more people living in his tiny apartment. I can easily sympathise with him as I had to endure a similar situation before and it was living hell, I don't understand how he easily puts up with it.

The rest of the volume was just covering Izumi's backstory and her deal with her dad. Oh and another person just popped up for no reason and disappeared the next chapter. Maybe Haneko will come back but I somehow doubt it since her only point in the manga was to get Izumi talking about her high school life.

There will likely be a good confrontation between Fuwa and Izumi's dad next volume and I can't wait to see it. Hopefully they will go over the fact that 26 years old guy living with 16 years old girl isn't really the most acceptable normal thing and her dad should be more concerned about it than other people.

---

On another note, I need to get back to reading Bambino. I tried reading the second volume today but I forgot everything that happened in the first one so I read the first one but just said fuck it and read Living Game instead. I think I will just finish Living Game first and then just marathon Bambino

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom