• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobohoro

Mahou Sensei Negima! 2-5

It's nice seeing that all the girls were pretty much set in their ways from the beginning, despite the manga making such drastic turns later on. You can see many of the important characters that fight later already having some small background appearances.

That's pretty much what's going yeah lol

I think Akamatsu is try to justify why Eva likes Nagi so much (because the reasoning in Negima wasn't enough for him?) while also trying to make Touta less of a "I want to surpass my grandfather" character by adding all these stuff to him. Personally, I think Touta had been really jumping from goal to goal thus far, to the point where he's really flimsy in what he wants.

First it was becoming a famous singer, then it was climbing up the ranks in UQ, then it was taking hold of the world or becoming the best or something like that, then it was defeating Fate because he murded his parents, but then it was dealing with being artificially made and now it's trying to get into his moms pants.

He's been more reactive than active to be honest, and while he's a lot more amusing than Negi had been, it's hard to like him when it seems he jumps around not knowing what he wants to do with his life.

Koroumaru is the Motoko/Setsuna of the series, so things are either going horribly wrong and ends up getting screwed over, or he finally realises that his gender regardless of being a boy or a girl won't get in the way of being friends/lovers with Touta. It's hard to figure out what Ken wants to do with him.

Honestly I don't mind Touta's impulsive nature, it makes a lot of sense for a 4 year old clone in a teenagers body. If you ask a 4 year old what they want to be when they grow up they'll tell you a different job every day that's kind of how I view Touta. It can be frustrating because he's our pov character but comparing him now to where he was in chapter 1 there's already been a lot of growth.

And yeah I have no clue what the plan is for Koro, were it not for the hard Touta x Eva shipping I'd assume the plan would be for Koro to eventually become a strong female friend/lover for Touta but its really hard to say and I wouldn't be surprised if Ken himself is undecided with what to do with the characters gender in the end. Koro works great now for romcom stuff at least :p

Also caught up on UQ Holder, guess I need a new series to marathon. Was thinking about reading either D Gray Man or Tokyo Ghoul

NY Times Top Manga Sellers Oct 4-10

*1. Naruto Vol.72
*2. Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma Vol.8
*3. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.1
*4. Kamisama Kiss Vol.19
*5. Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Vol.8
*6. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.2
*7. Big Hero 6 Vol.2
*8. One-Punch Man Vol.1
*9. Assassination Classroom Vol.6
10. Sword Art Online: Progressive Vol.3

Last Weeks
*1. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.2
*2. One-Punch Man Vol.1
*3. Attack on Titan Vol.1
*4. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.1
*5. Haganai: I Don't Have Many Friends Vol.2
*6. Big Hero 6 Vol.2
*7. Sword Art Online: Progressive Vol.3
*8. The Ancient Magus' Bride Vol.2
*9. My Hero Academia Vol.1
10. One-Punch Man Vol.2

*1. Naruto Vol.72
*3. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.1
*4. Kamisama Kiss Vol.19
*5. Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Vol.8
*6. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.2
*7. Big Hero 6 Vol.2
*8. One-Punch Man Vol.1

Last Weeks
*1. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.2
*2. One-Punch Man Vol.1
*4. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.1
*6. Big Hero 6 Vol.2
10. One-Punch Man Vol.2

Wow Twin Star Exorcists v2 didnt even rank.

UQ Holder ~85

So assuming this is a terminator esque time travel thing

Eva was training with Dana when she fell for a strange boy from a different time period (Tota) who was also training under Dana who confesses his love to her.

Many decades later Eva met Nagi who reminded her of that crush from a long time ago and fell hard for him, years later she met his son Negi and fell for him as well, even replicating the situation in which she met Tota to help Negi train

Years later she comes across Tota and maybe recognizes him as the boy from her childhood and decides to raise him, Tota begins to fall for her

Tota ends up training with Dana and meets past Eva confessing his love for her

I assume that's what is going on, its weird that the series seems to be pushing Tota x Eva ship hard when I thought things would build towards Tota x Koroumaru

If you read back from the beginning you'll see Tota blushes when he sees young Eva.

Also I like that Tota acts more like Nagi than Negi. Makes sense that they retconned her falling for Nagi because he and Tota acts like idiots.

Big One

Banned
My Hero Academia - B

Solid chapter this week. Nice development with Todoroki.

Toriko - B

I'm so confused where this manga is going. Don Slime?! Well whatever at least they're explaning what the fuck happened.

Bleach - C

Another eh chapter but the bankai reveal is sweet.

Shengar

Kingdom 449
I hate reading Kingdom on weekly basis yet I'm still doing this.
Also Bihei should've shared his plot armor to his bro earlier.

Arabesque

Honestly I don't mind Touta's impulsive nature, it makes a lot of sense for a 4 year old clone in a teenagers body. If you ask a 4 year old what they want to be when they grow up they'll tell you a different job every day that's kind of how I view Touta. It can be frustrating because he's our pov character but comparing him now to where he was in chapter 1 there's already been a lot of growth.

I don't mind him being impulsive, but thus far he's been aimlessly going from goal to goal. Even him running away amounted to not much in terms of where he wanted to go so much that he didn't want to be in the same place and Eva at the time.

Still, Touta isn't bad. He's like mini Nagi, which I guess is the point. Just that I hope he won't keep on having his end goal be so easily changed from this point on.

Did you manage to keep note of how many times Asuna showed up in flashbacks?

And yeah I have no clue what the plan is for Koro, were it not for the hard Touta x Eva shipping I'd assume the plan would be for Koro to eventually become a strong female friend/lover for Touta but its really hard to say and I wouldn't be surprised if Ken himself is undecided with what to do with the characters gender in the end. Koro works great now for romcom stuff at least :p

In my eyes, Touta X Eva is pretty much doomed to not work, while Koro will get his wish in the future and be friends with Touta, regardless if he becomes a girl or a boy. I like Koroumaru a lot, and I don't mind him being used for comedy, but I wish he wasn't just made fun of because he wants to be a boy (or for that matter, him thinking he can only get strong by becoming a boy). I hope in the future Ken gives him an arc where his past is explored and he gets his resolution to his dilemma.

No suggestions for my d gray man vs tokyo ghoul question on what to read next?

I'd say go with D. Gray-Man first if your intreasted in a manga with a goth aesthetic, or Tokyo Ghoul if your intreasted more in horror. I'd always start with D.Gray-Man personally.

Busaiku

Why the heck is Ciel's dad the 5th most popular character in Black Butler.
This was probably the best popularity chapter ever though.

I don't mind him being impulsive, but thus far he's been aimlessly going from goal to goal. Even him running away amounted to not much in terms of where he wanted to go so much that he didn't want to be in the same place and Eva at the time.

Still, Touta isn't bad. He's like mini Nagi, which I guess is the point. Just that I hope he won't keep on having his end goal be so easily changed from this point on.

Did you manage to keep note of how many times Asuna showed up in flashbacks?

In my eyes, Touta X Eva is pretty much doomed to not work, while Koro will get his wish in the future and be friends with Touta, regardless if he becomes a girl or a boy. I like Koroumaru a lot, and I don't mind him being used for comedy, but I wish he wasn't just made fun of because he wants to be a boy (or for that matter, him thinking he can only get strong by becoming a boy). I hope in the future Ken gives him an arc where his past is explored and he gets his resolution to his dilemma.

I'd say go with D. Gray-Man first if your intreasted in a manga with a goth aesthetic, or Tokyo Ghoul if your intreasted more in horror. I'd always start with D.Gray-Man personally.

Did Love Hina have a real ending to its harem or did it end like Negima with a cop out "anyone can win"? While anyone x eva is probably doomed to fail because Eva is involved I find it strange to think you'd dismiss the eva ship so quickly. She's easily the most important character to the plot and the series has spent a lot of time focusing on her and how she feels/acts.

And yeah Asuna appears quiet a bit in the flash backs, and considering Touta's "sister" has a version of her weapon we'll probably see more of her in the future. Its weird I'm glad I read Negima as it fills in a lot of the blanks I had reading UQ Holder but now I'd rather the series quit dancing around the connecting threads and just get it over with so we can truly focus on the new characters and new stories. I also like how we know for sure Negi is alive because of the pactio card from class rep so I assume most/all of the Negima cast could show up before this is over.

And I guess I'll start d gray man was leaning towards it anyways

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Did Love Hina have a real ending to its harem or did it end like Negima with a cop out "anyone can win"? While anyone x eva is probably doomed to fail because Eva is involved I find it strange to think you'd dismiss the eva ship so quickly. She's easily the most important character to the plot and the series has spent a lot of time focusing on her and how she feels/acts.

And yeah Asuna appears quiet a bit in the flash backs, and considering Touta's "sister" has a version of her weapon we'll probably see more of her in the future. Its weird I'm glad I read Negima as it fills in a lot of the blanks I had reading UQ Holder but now I'd rather the series quit dancing around the connecting threads and just get it over with so we can truly focus on the new characters and new stories. I also like how we know for sure Negi is alive because of the pactio card from class rep so I assume most/all of the Negima cast could show up before this is over.

And I guess I'll start d gray man was leaning towards it anyways

Love Hina definitely has a definitive ending. It's also better than like 99% of harem romcoms.

Shengar

http://i.imgur.com/p2rQ0VL.jpg

no.gif

Arabesque

Nah, how Love Hina ended doesn't have to do how I think about where Eva and Touta are going from this point on. Love Hina had a conclusive ending that lead to Negima surprisingly enough.

The main reasons that I don't think it can work being that she's still Touta's adoptive mother, her being in love with Nagi (and eventually going on a trip to find one for herself) and really, Touta's direction as a character seems to be about him growing up. Which I don't think can happen with Eva around.

I mean I thought the two of them were cute when they were meeting in secret and and whatnot, but I don't hunk it's meant to be.

And yeah Asuna appears quiet a bit in the flash backs, and considering Touta's "sister" has a version of her weapon we'll probably see more of her in the future.

A version of her is more likely to appear (like a magical doppelgänger) rather than her if he most common theory is true.

Its weird I'm glad I read Negima as it fills in a lot of the blanks I had reading UQ Holder but now I'd rather the series quit dancing around the connecting threads and just get it over with so we can truly focus on the new characters and new stories.

Yeah, I think that is both the greatest weakness the series has (since it is so tied to Negima that it limits it in what it could potentially do) and its biggest strength (since the most interesting stuff happens when the Negima ties are explored or touched upon). It ties into why I feel like Touta had been so jumpy between plot points and goals, since he is like that so that we may be able to get into another Negima related Easter Egg.

I also like how we know for sure Negi is alive because of the pactio card from class rep so I assume most/all of the Negima cast could show up before this is over.

I think the majority of them passed away at this point. Class rep is still kicking since she has a promise to fulfill to meet Asuna again.

Shengar

You know what makes this particularly painful and rage inducing to me? It is the content will be in line with the manga itself

This is where I draw a line and he had crossed it
superman%20stop%20it.jpg

*1. Naruto Vol.72
*3. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.1
*4. Kamisama Kiss Vol.19
*5. Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Vol.8
*6. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.2
*7. Big Hero 6 Vol.2
*8. One-Punch Man Vol.1

Last Weeks
*1. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.2
*2. One-Punch Man Vol.1
*4. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.1
*6. Big Hero 6 Vol.2
10. One-Punch Man Vol.2
Why they no buy World Trigger? Why me sad?

Conan-san

Why they no buy World Trigger? Why me sad?
You mean beisdes the fact that it's a blueballing piece of crap that promises fantastic other worlds and is instead the same fucking training arc over and over interspersed with them rightfuly getting their teeth kicked in by the invading side because all they do is train as oppose to appling their skills in any other way than play fighting each other?

Like if this wasn't Jump the story would have a) Progressed and b) If gone down this tract, would have gone Second Half of Layzner PDQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom