• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT13| Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shengar

i dont even know why i bought a 3ds

i bought pokemon it was so easy and boring, rivals were also shit.

I played fire emblem it was great.

Should've waited and play ORAS instead
e8bea9ba120ab66ef9831528cc524307.png

smurfx

get some go again
one piece

guess doflamingos crew got fat and lazy thanks to how comfortable they currently are. very similar to moria and doflamingo will likely get his crew wrecked by kaidou as well. dofla's crew will lose to luffy and friends but kaidou will be the executioner.

Quasar

Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance Vol 4-13 - So the end of the anime as well as a bunch of folks I know who liked the books but lamented the poor anime version convinced me to give them a try so I picked up the volume where the anime ended. Anyway, a week later and I've marathoned the rest of the series.

Just like DxD it turned out that the books are much more interesting than the shows ever hinted at. And thankfully this was much less insane than DxD is. Not that its literature, but it did turn out to me quite the entertaining fantasy story.

And now that I've got time to ponder I guess the question I have whilst waiting for more instalments is:

The nature of the darkness. So we have some otherworldly darkness that has corrupted the Elemental Lords and some humans. Actually the corruption of the Elemental Lords now makes me wonder about their elimination of the Dark Elemental Lord. Did that happen before the corruption? Did the Darkness use the corrupted Lords to eliminate the dark Elemental Lord (perhaps due to its inablility to corrupt it)?

Anyway, all in all I did not expect to be so entertained by something that started with a super generic fantasy/school/harem anime. Though the art continues to creep me out. Thankfully with it being prose, the cast in my head can be much older than what appears in the art.

dramatis

I formally petition a request to make the new OT as soon as possible otherwise I'll be sad that I missed it
Sorry lol I went to bed yesterday thinking you guys would post until we hit 20k while I slept.

Instead, everyone chickened out at the end like usual.

New OT will go up after we hit page 200. Wall of Shame still won't be ready though.

dramatis

WARNING: There may be spoilers in some of these recs (rec), reviews (rev), impressions (imp). If you want to avoid that, just post a general question about the manga (don't do this on Wednesday though). Most recent at top. Links to previous recommendations at bottom.

1. Not always you get the right ending for these type of stories but damn, that felt perfect and how many more real NTR stories should end up. For True Maiden Hunt. From Lain. (warning)
  2. Be it the surreal steampunk world, the philosophical and religious themes or the tale of a simple love, The Music of Marie is sure to not leave you indifferent. For The Music of Marie. From Zweizer. (rec)
  3. This was a pretty enticing story about bullying. For Life. From Mockingbird. (rev)
  4. This manga has the most subtle detail and worldbuilding I've ever seen. For Aqua Vol 1. From upandaway. (imp)
  5. This was a really enjoyable disaster story. For Kanojo wo Mamoru 51 no Houhou. From Mockingbird. (rev)
  6. Charming story about a intergalactic salesmonster and a family whose tofu shop has fallen on hard times. For Hoshi no Ponko to Toufuya Reiko 01. From A Huge Battleship. (imp)
  7. Morishima Akiko likes to write manga about her experience as a lesbian mangaka, although her stories are more confined to her work and community than to some of the bigger issues like Pride parades and whatnot. For Yuri Friends. From firehawk12. (imp)
  8. Interesting journey, going from working in a textile manufacturer to exploring Tokyo on his own and becoming a manga assistant. For A Zoo in Winter. From survivor. (rev)
  9. From Mumei, a detailed list of some more obscure manga to read.
  10. Gotta say it was pretty interesting. It's set up in three different cases involving a youkai and a package and their own protagonist with them. For The Zashiki Warashi of Intellectual Village Vol 1. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  11. A pretty amusing self-insert 4koma about the author and her group of friends going to a cabaret. For Yuri Friends by Morishima Akiko. From Zweizer.
  12. FISH GIRL MOE. It's another one of those series that's all need to be said to understand what it is. For Shinkaigyo no Anko-san 01. From dakkumauji.
  13. Oneshot (and an upcoming sequel) about a girl who dislikes how her formerly meek friend has started to come into her own. Pretty good. Looking forward to the next part. For Even by Miman. From Charade.
  14. Been a while since I've come away from a new shoujo series wanting to read more, which is largely down to the premise and humour. For +a no Tachiichi 01. From A Huge Battleship. (imp)
  15. I won't go into details of these stories, but the one thing that definitely strikes me is how human most portrayed characters felt. For Endo Hiroki Tanpenshuu. From Zweizer. (rev)
  16. The stuff in here is super gross and surreal, which is exactly what you want from junji itou. For Ma no Kakera. From Antiwhippy. (imp)
  17. Naho wakes up one day to find a letter from her future self. The letter chronicles the day's events, including a new transfer student. For Orange 01. From PhillipCostigan. (imp)
  18. Really though, I think this Takemiya oneshot is notable for the fact that it doesn't have a happy ending. For Irrational Us. From firehawk12. (rev)
  19. An one shot about the trying to be cool hero and the lolicon knight. A simple one shot but still pretty good. For Senyuu. - Foyfoy Rudolf-hen "Mogura to Oashisu". From dakkumauji.
  20. Read if if you like great art and lots of implied yaoi. Also plenty of sexy guys. For Adekan. From Antiwhippy.
  21. I knew one point of the story is to show how they are too nerdy and it's influencing their lives, but this was really filled with references every page. For Insufficient Direction. From survivor. (rev)
  22. Also ending soon so it'll be a fun, quick read for people who prefer short stories. For Scumbag Loser. From Antiwhippy. (???)
  23. ...with it being short, with some nice characters and with the drama moments not taking too long to get resolved, the whole experience has been positive. For 360 Material. From Lain. (rev)
  24. Great series. The old 90s art style is a weirdly good fit for this, I actually really liked it. For Parasyte. From MetroidPrimeRib. (rev)
  25. Nice to see more about them later in life and the harshness of reality. For Count H 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  26. The manga is also filled with thematic symbolism that can go from being disturbingly twisted to emotionally poignant. For Mikai no Hoshi. From Usobuko. (rev)
  27. What you think is just a simple manga about two women raising a family together becomes a story about two housewives having an illicit affair, hinting towards some of the darker issues that touches the LGBT community in Japan. For Mama Mama. From firehawk12. (rev and some other stuff)
  28. I do like how they tackle a MMO game of multiple summoned heroes out there by making it a part of the plot, lol For Kakusansei Million Arthur - Gunjou no Sorcery Road 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  29. Fun little manga from the Love Com author. For Please Love the Useless Me Vol 1. From survivor. (imp)
  30. I'm just completely positive about it. For D-Frag! Vol 1. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  31. A very simple yet effective setting thanks to the magnificent butler. He could have been Sakamoto's disciple. For Domino Kick. From Akito. (imp)
  32. A 6 page oneshot that ABSOLUTELY NEEDS TO BE A SERIES For Family Fight. From wonzo.
  33. The ending was as perfect as an ending can get, everyone should give this series a at least a try, it might be one of the best coming-of-age stories you've read. For Sumire. From Akito. (rec)
  34. A oneshot and its sequel about some love drama in the wind instrument club. When you break it down it's pretty cliche (senpai, oblivious MC) but I thought it handled itself in a subtle enough manner to get past that. Cute and left me wanting some more. For Koigokoro Metronome & Koiiro Etude. From Charade.
  35. I thought this was good. Like a 7-8/10 good. For Lament of the Lamb. From Usobuko. (rev)
  36. So a series about a message board about retired heroes and their problems, adventures, etc. For Yuusha Gojo Kumiai Kouryuugata Keijiban. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  37. I'll simply suggest to those who are seeking for a work filled with emotion to read this story of the friendship between two girls who seem to be polar opposites of each other. For The Story of a Dying Girl. From Zweizer. (rec?)
  38. Enjoyed reading it, but it's not perfect. For In Clothes Called Fat. From Antiwhippy. (rev)
  39. I know this is a fan-manga, but damn does Toyble nail it when it comes to Dragonball. For Dragonball AF (doujinshi). From Big One. (rev)
  40. A pretty entertaining read that should satisfy lovers of psychotic black humor. For Murcielago. From Zweizer. (imp)
  41. A good read that I recommend to anyone who's looking for an apocalyptic slice of life. For Shoujo Apocalypse Adventure. From Zweizer. (rec)
  42. Great series I should've read a long time ago without the news of it's return. For Me and the Devil Blues. From MetroidPrimeRib. (rev)
  43. Cute little story about a girl doing here best to avoid social situations by stopping time... For Fragtime. From dani_dc. (imp)
  44. Prison School transcends smut! For Prison School. From Dresden. (ramble ramble)
  45. A oneshot included in the second volume of Keyman, by the same author. Felt more like a stylized history lesson than anything, but dat art. For Magoichi Goes To War. From Charade.
  46. I feel confident in saying that this book is extremely weird, imaginative, somewhat funny, a bit depressing, cunning and with a bit of depravity and gore. For Toukou Tochuu no Deaigashira no Guuzen Kiss wa Ariuru? Jikken. From Lain. (imp)
  47. Still a great story. For Wolf Children. From survivor. (rev)
  48. So this is a somewhat difficult manga to discuss. For Arachnid. From Theonik. (longform)
  49. That being said, not all this manga's humour is crude, and even that which is is normally quite clever. For Domina no Do. From Theonik. (rev)
  50. While I do like the scientific angle of some concepts and the overall setting is rather interesting... For u & i 01. From Zweizer. (imp)
  51. People promised me moe cockroaches. But instead of fuzzy feeling, I got a bunch of depressing stories about a girl with best intentions in a cruel world that constantly rejects her. For Gokicha. From Chariot. (imp)
  52. All I can say is that I liked this book even if I found some things that rubbed me a bit wrong. For Claudine. From Lain. (rev)
  53. A nice one-shot about a friend who has feelings for another friend. Short, but I liked it. Lots of blushing~ For Okujou no Bai-Bai. From dakkumauji.
  54. Some of the world's origin myths told throughout the story have been very creative. For Children of the Sea. From survivor. (rev)
  55. So this manga was pretty cool! Take Kill la Kill, DanganRonpa, and JoJo (Part 6), and toss them into a blender to get this. For Tokyo Girls Destruction.. From PK Gaming. (imp)
  56. _hekk05 reading some new serializations in Jump SQ and Young Jump.
  57. Pretty interesting and rather do like how different the fairy tale characters are right now. For Boarding House Dorothy 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  58. Zweizer says something about Prison School
  59. Pretty good workplace romance josei manga with one chapter to go and the male love interest is rather appealing. For 3 AM Dangerous Zone. From Nordicus. (rev?)
  60. So the whole fight-styles-based-on-animals thing should be pretty awesome. For Killing Bites 01. From Antiwhippy. (imp)
  61. A decent shojo manga to pass the time I would say. For Good Morning Call. From Rooster12. (imp)
  62. This one is a short short collection mostly dealing with humans relations with nature, animals, and death. For The Ice Wanderer. From survivor. (rev)
  63. Stars a young lady in what seems like a post-medieval and pre-industrialisation era. For LIttLE13 (JP only). From _hekk05. (imp)
  64. Hey, this is a pretty cute love story. Check it out! For First Love. From PK Gaming.
  65. Great ending for this version of the phi brain story For Phi Brain. From Dedication Through Light. (rev)
  66. Yay shoujo, but hey the lead girl has a backbone and those are always the best. For Yuugure Light 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  67. She has a way for mixing serious topics in the story with lighthearted and comedic scenes in a very natural matter that generally won't feel out of place. For Pink. From survivor. (rev)
  68. Basically, it's a constant battle for who's the biggest scum? For Ushijima the Loan Shark Vol 1. From Lain. (eh)
  69. Rooster12's two recommended required reading.
  70. Pretty great story that is much better than the previous one shot post Psyren. For Shikigami Twilight Days. From Dedication Through Light. (imp)
  71. This was definitely the best way to end this wonderful series. For Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun. From dakkumauji. (rev)
  72. All in all, it was a great, short read. For Five Centimeters Per Second. From Heyo_Rockbreaker. (rev)
  73. A cute one-shot about a guy who failed to meet his expectations and a hikikomori. Pretty fun, pretty nice at the end. For Kiyoharu. From dakkumauji.
  74. They were talking about tax hikes and economic depression and then some lady did an ass gatling gun. For Keijou!!!!!!!! 01. From upandaway. (imp...)
  75. A new delivery guy befriends a shut in who he only meets while he is wearing a bunny head. It was pretty cute. Cute and romantic, that's about all it needs to be. For Hana to Usagi. From dakkumauji.
  76. This was really nice. It's a collection of short one-chapter stories from Miyata Kouji (Oh, My Sweet Alien!) All very different stories with some pretty unique concepts behind them but each one very well written and beautifully drawn. Definitely worth your time. For Kikimimi Zukan. From NeoSoma.

upandaway

Stretch 26

I don't know if it's just me, but the only stretches that worked on me were the hands one and the triceps one. Maybe I did them wrong.

I should try to make soba sometimes... it shouldn't be that hard, I already made spaghetti before. And I'm curious what the big deal is.

Sorry lol I went to bed yesterday thinking you guys would post until we hit 20k while I slept.

Instead, everyone chickened out at the end like usual.

New OT will go up after we hit page 200. Wall of Shame still won't be ready though.
Please do it now, I can still make it in the next 2 hours! dramatis help me out here!

Finalow

ONEPUNCH-MAN - king best chara has arrived.
Murata sure is slow at drawing this but holy shit One, seems like he doesn't even care anymore. in one year he did 4-5 chapters or so? In any case the last one (96) was pretty funny.

Quixzlizx

Suzuka 46
I CAN'T HAVE HIM SO NOW I WANT HIM!

Nana-chan sees through Yamato's bullshit within a few hours of meeting him.

Random Ayano-san nudity.
Wow Yamato, bad fucking idea.

Yamato, you're awful. At least salesgirl made another appearance.
Who could have foreseen this plot device?

Maybe Honoka-chan can finally break the shackles of relationship hell.

She's staying strong so far. Suzuka's synapses fired correctly this chapter and she acted like a decent person.

Good for you Honoka-chan, but : (

"An asshole like you will never bea ble to find another girl like her." Yep.
Hahaha, BURN THAT BRIDGE.

Miki is in her track uniform, so the rest of the chapter doesn't really matter much.
NOOOOOO. I mean, Nana is probably right about how Honoka is too insecure, but she made the right decision for the wrong reason. STAY AWAY, HONOKA-CHAN.

MIKI CHAPTER. She's better than Suzuka and Honoka combined.

Miki stripping scene. I can't.
Yamato keeps coming to the realization that he's worthless, but he doesn't seem to ever actually fix anything.

Whatever. This series is another 100 chapters?

"I just realized that Suzuka's not perfect, and is in fact a complete bitch, but I'm in love with her anyway." Sounds toxic, brah.

Whatever, dude. At least you have a goal other than having shitty relationships.

At least you didn't fall down this time.

Suzuka Power Rankings

1. Hashiba Miki: Gorgeous, straightforward, caring, and supportive. Quite possibly my favorite Seo girl. She exists solely as a tragic contrast to Seo-sensei's demented creations. She's too well-adjusted to be a drama vortex, so there'd be no need to continue the series if Yamato ended up with her.

2. Fujikawa Ayano

3. Unnamed Newspaper/Cable/Jewelry Salesgirl

4. Sakurai Honoka: A definite sweetheart, but has has crippling self-confidence issues.

5. Saotome Yuuka: I enjoy her trolling, and she'd probably be fun for a month if you could afford to date her.

6. Shirakawa Nana: A walking bullshit detector. A possible riser if she appears more often.

7. Suzune Asahina: Same.

8. Fujikawa Miho: Kind of a throwaway little sister character who mainly serves as a foil for Yuuka.

9. Matsumoto Megumi: Amusing joke character.

666: Asahina Suzuka: Well, I guess Fuuka wouldn't be around without her *shrugs*

Usobuko

Banned
Shin Kibayashi must be one of the most collaborated author for manga. I was in the mood for a thriller or mystery and his profile overwhelms me. Love Kindaichi, loathe Bloody Monday, indifferent with Getbackers. That number of pen names.

- Agi, Tadashi (亜樹 直) - shared with his sister.
- Amagi Seimaru (天樹征丸)
- Andou, Yuuma (安童 夕馬)
- Aoki, Yuuya (青樹 佑夜)
- Arimori, Jyoji (有森 丈時)
- Igano, Hiroaki (伊賀 大晃)
- Kibayashi
- Ryuumon Ryou (龍門諒)
- S.K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom