• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

The Climber vol 2-8
jRPb.jpg
lRPb.jpg
mRPb.jpg
gRPb.jpg
kRPb.jpg
hRPb.jpg
iRPb.jpg

I think I posted impressions about volume 1 when I read months ago, but in case I didn't, I liked it
The various posts about this series reminded me I had started the series and wanted to get the rest, but then forgot to buy more, so I remedied this month and got these yesterday.

I can't stand Buntaro too much. Compared to the other people, apart from Onishi (RIP), he's not the worst example of a human being, far from it, but I just can't stand his behaviour. His interpersonal skill levels are... well, 0 and the experiences in his life didn't help him to open up and sure, the stalker woman might have been stalkerish but you don't leave a person that just fell down the stairs like that (also, I don't feel like the stalker was too bad of a person, all things considered, when matched against the rest of the cast).
Obviously I realize that part of my problem with him is also in the way he's drawn. He's drawn with a face and expression that makes him look tough, it makes him look like someone that could stab you and not feel anything, while the truth is the exact opposite of that.
He's drawn in such a way that makes me expect him to act a way while he always does the opposite. The night on the alps, when he's shown taking a position after Kase died, had me think "oh, good, I almost can't believe he actually did it" only for it to turn into imagination a page later: he had imagined himself taking a stand but he didn't say or do anything, too shy, too scared, too indecisive.

In other words, I don't like Buntaro the man. I like instead Buntaro the climber. When he's climbing he's the best. It's like his real self finally comes out. Obviously, Buntaro the climber has his flaws too, as he tends to forget about everything else. I don't blame him for Onishi's death, but had he decided to turn around instead of being so immersed in the search for solitude, the tragedy could have been avoided.
I sort of like the dichotomy existence between him and the mountain. I feel like it's all in his head, personally, but the whole the mountains accepts you because you're alone (like the mountain), so keep being alone to keep being accepted by the mountain... is somewhat crazy but also awesome.

So, after 8 volumes, I like this manga even more. The art isn't as cool as in Innocent in my opinion, though it's still good and I'm not too interested in Buntaro as a person (mostly because of his lack of growth as a person, though) but as a man against/together with nature, it's a great work. I just hope to see more climbing in the next volumes.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Also the fact that the truck is one of the most popular characters in Fuuka is pretty lol

dani_dc

I am a Hero 207

The fact that main character is likely a self-insert for the author makes the direction of the current plot-line worrying.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Prison School ch. 214

This dude went from his goofy little cheer / clap combo to having his soul snatched, all within a few pages.

Tokyo Ghoul:re ch. 75

That last double-page spread actually looks very nice, though whatever the fuck Eto just turned into was the highlight - she's huge now. Good chapter.

New Gate 17

I'm seriously debating just picking up the LNs if the focus of them turns into the MC doing stuff with Schnee. Schnee is the best. Fuck the real world, you already have the perfect woman with you in this one and she's probably the only character in the world who can actually hang on the same level as him.

UQ Holder ! 118-122
HOLY SHIT FEATURING
______NEGI FREAKING SPRINGFIELD______

_____JACK "OP" RAKAN________

______YUE MAHOU-ONNA AYASE_________

______NODOKA USELESS MIYAZAKI______

FOR A WHOLE 3 PAGES BEFORE

A GOOFY EPISODE 1-LIKE POD RACE THAT NO ONE GIVES A SHIT ABOUT

Spirit Circle 1-16

I remember reading this a few years ago, I'm glad someone decided to translate it again.

It's pretty great. The drawings are in the same style of Hoshi no Samidare, and frankly the plot is pretty damn interesting to boot.

That's the kind of manga, while being quite heavy, is really enthralling to read. Recommended.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I have no goddamn idea why the race in UQ Holder is taking place other than creepy fanservice. I mean Ken basically wrote it so the only relevant girl is Kirie anyways.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Tomorrow is going to be opposite week in Jump
Hunter x Hunter is in the magazine, but One Piece isn't.
Feels weird.

I have no goddamn idea why the race in UQ Holder is taking place other than creepy fanservice. I mean Ken basically wrote it so the only relevant girl is Kirie anyways.

Considering how Touta has acted up to this point I totally expect him to be like "sure I'll date all of you" without even considering what that means.

diaspora

Jitsu wa Watashi wa 124

This is the darkest timeline.

edit: lol future Shishido disappointed too, Shimada taking an L across time.

Revo

7 deadly sins 173

Everyone's assembled once again.
Pretty hype.
Also glad they didnt try and shove power levels into the conversation about him being stronger.

MANUELF

Banned
Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa 124
The darkest and bleakest of futures
And it has the despairest face full of despair that I have despaired to see someone despair to
The only way to be sure is by killing him, everyone grab a knife and lets go hunting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom