• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't think that the Obito reveal was a hack-job at all. Obito wasn't gonna be some nobody you never heard of because that doesn't make any sense. But as an adult reading it, yeah, its a bit obvious. People just played themselves. There's a similar Song of Ice and Fire theory that I think will play out the exact same way and people will still get mad that it was too obvious.

Yeah, pretty much. Although the second time, it stopped being a case of "people assumed he's not Obito" and became "the manga has shown Tobi to be Madara". There was so little to doubt because he's been shown to know things and act like he was Madara, so the theories about Tobi=Obito were put to rest at the time because everyone thought it was a misdirection.

Then 3-4 years pass, Kabuto shows up, hints about Tobi not actually being Madara, and people were just confused about what the fuck that means then. I seen some plausible theories about him being Izuna (which at least would've made sense timeline wise more so than Obito) and maybe Shisui, but most Tobi=Obito theories weren't even considered because it didn't seem like it made sense for a supporting character of Kakashi's to become the chief antagonist of the entire manga.

Until the revel happened. Then it turned out that Kishimoto took the most obvious twist in the universe and made it complicated for no good reason.

I have a documented record of saying it was Obito from the first thread to the point it happened. /flex

Because it was obviously Obito. I mean, I don't think its fair to claim it was a hack-job because you got worked. It always seemed plausible that it would be Obito given the design, powers, etc. The fact that Kishi tricked people into thinking it wasn't Obito even though all of the hints were there that it was always intended to be Obito isn't bad writing, its good writing.

Soma

Yukihira having fun while cooking for Erina basically means that that's the chick he should cook for like his dad said. :'v

Erina ship is full speed ahead.

I mean since chapter 1 and 2 it was set but some people...

Also I love how much fun Soma is having since the dude was always rejected when he wanted Erina to taste is food but the rest of Polar Dorm was allowed

Zweizer

Banned
Comic Girls ch0-12 by Hanzawa Kaori

JiEfuDM.jpg

Cute girls doing things, manga author edition. I wasn't aware such dormitories existed though, but it sounds fun.

Featuring, of course, a (reluctant) ero-mangaka.

She should learn to be more like Toshio Maeda~

Arabesque

Because it was obviously Obito. I mean, I don't think its fair to claim it was a hack-job because you got worked. It always seemed plausible that it would be Obito given the design, powers, etc.

Well yeah, it was always plausible because Tobi was introduced right after we seen a character in Kakashi Gaiden who has his name in reverse disappear. It doesn't take much to make the connection because it's so obvious that Tobi and Obito are one and the same from the get go.

But then we get the 4 years where Tobi is acting and referred to as Madara, the big bad of the entire series, and there is little reason to believe that he should be Obito at that point. He unmasks in front of Kisama and Zetsu and they always refer to him as Madara. It wasn't until Kabuto is in the picture that his identity is questioned again. Going back to thinking Tobi=Obito was plausible still, but then we'd have had to consider Obito a time traveller or Kishimoto a poor planner.

Turns out it was the latter in the end.

The fact that Kishi tricked people into thinking it wasn't Obito even though all of the hints were there that it was always intended to be Obito isn't bad writing, its good writing.

I'll give Kishimoto credit for a lot of things, and I do think Tobi=Obito was always the plan and just Kishimoto took too long with the revelation. The misdirection itself I believe is planned, and the actual revelations themselves play off well, but the details makes it clear that Kishimoto didn't have any idea of how long Obito was supposed to be alive for or how long he's been running around calling himself Madara.

Bout fucking time we saw the Dragon King! And man, Toriko is a straight savage. Eat that nasty motherfucker! No less than NEO Demon Acacia deserves.

pimples are tasty.... maybe

Nisekoi 220

So what I am getting is that lil Chitoge made this marriage promise with Raku as a ruse for him to remember to meet up with everyone again

nothing actually serious

Toriko 373
I can't believe nobody picked up on
PANGAEA
this whole time

But what happens if you remove God and add Center?
PANACEA

This wordplay only exists in the English language and it's completely absurd that it works

We did talk about it I believe

someone look through the manga thread archives because I am not :p

bobohoro

Soma 169

Why do adults always throw their hands in the air and leave, for them, easily solvable problems to their kids which need 100+ chapters to overcome that challenge? Is that what they call parenting? Or a weak plot?

Tomo-chan 343

Jun's gonna be all over doll Tomo. The one thing about this manga I really dislike. Base Tomo is top Tomo.

Prison School 216

I'd watch that dieting series. And that wolf idol desperation charge at the end was beautiful.

Marathoning Naruto for the first time right before the obito reveal made it obvious tobi was obito though the suggestion of future sasuke would have made things interesting which is why I think my name got put on that list since it's what I wanted even though I knew it wouldn't happen.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Marathoning Naruto for the first time right before the obito reveal made it obvious tobi was obito though the suggestion of future sasuke would have made things interesting which is why I think my name got put on that list since it's what I wanted even though I knew it wouldn't happen.

I seem to remember making some insane troll pick, actually I think it was future sause.

LeleSocho

Banned
The famous chapter where Tobi said he was Madara i remember my first reaction being "ok, you totally are not Madara".
If something that made me lean more on he being Obito thing that up until that moment i didn't believe that much even if hindsight it was totally obvious and i was a big dummy.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Rebellion Story vol 1-3 (END)
After a self-imposed 2 year wait to watch Rebellion, the floodgates finally broke, which is what triggered this Madoka binge I've been on recently. The movie was so fucking good that it kickstarted me buying all of the franchise's English manga that I hadn't already picked up
except Tart Magica
and then reading it all in the space of 2-3 days.

The Rebellion manga is, unsurprisingly, the movie in a very faithful manga form. Audiovisual elements aside, it's immensely enjoyable for similar reasons that the movie is. The plot is exceptional, with the saccharine opening effectively setting up the mystery and contrasting with the cataclysmic nature of the post-revelations half, which has some of the most affecting scenes I've come across in the medium. It features an abundance of Homura, who was already one of my favourite characters, even before her devoted actions here raised her to divine
lol
status. While it can't match the visual spectacle of the movie, Hanokage's art is excellent, being a noticeable improvement over their previous two adaptations and much closer to the anime's style. If I had to list a negative, the manga doesn't add anything new to the Magica universe, but then it really doesn't need to. If you enjoyed the movie then it's a no-brainer to check out.

Homuhomu Rating

btkvf9s.gif
btkvf9s.gif
rwuIYHM.gif
vZjs4OM.gif
93frBXX.gif

I was waiting for this moment.mp3

---

Spinoff tl;dr summary:

Madoka Magica / Rebellion Story - Their anime namesakes in manga format. As enjoyable as they are (especially Rebellion), there's very little deviation from the source material, so you're not missing out on anything new if you skip them.

Different Story / Homura's Revenge - Variations of the original story, with the same setting and characters. The best of the serious spinoffs. Different Story has Mami/Kyouko focus and was probably the better written of the two, though I enjoyed Homura's Revenge more (most likely because of character bias).

Kazumi Magica / Suzune Magica - Both feature entirely new casts (Kyubey aside) and there's no real link between them and the main story. They also have the weakest writing, so you can safely ignore them unless you're a major Magica fan, in which case you'll probably still enjoy them (I did).

Oriko Magica - A kind of midpoint between the above four, in that it revolves around new characters but also includes the primary cast. It's also a midpoint between them in terms of quality IMO, so I'm torn over whether to recommend it.

Tart Magica - The medieval setting and entirely new cast make this the least similar to its parent story. No idea about its quality since I skipped it myself, but jonjonaug recommends it.

Homura Tamura - 4-koma comedy with a strong focus on Tamura
Homura
. Worth reading because it's actually hilarious.

Shouta

Just finished reading The World God Only Knows so spoilers will be ahead in my write-up

I read the manga a bit when it first started running back in 2008 as I had just moved to Japan but I never got back to it. I ended up watching all of the anime and then picking up the manga from Amazon JP to finish the rest off.

The 3rd arc was really good but at the same time, I felt like the author could have spent more time in the present dealing with the situation that was created as a result of everything that was going on. It would have been interesting to cover that properly. However, I can also see why the author decided to set it like it did and to focus the story in a different manner. It would have been a big, sloppy mess to deal with, lol. They still managed to sneak some of the first arc in there but the kid arc definitely was slightly strange considering most of it was him stuck as a kid.

I didn't really think the story would turn out to be a causal loop though, lol.

Keima is a decent protagonist. While I like that he's super intelligent, I also feel that he was super annoying. It's hard to see if he has an actual personality under all of the game stuff and the speeches about his despair with the real world. That makes me feel a bit worse for the girls he conquered because they're essentially getting played with even if they came out with something from it and it was to help them. We do get to see a bit of Keima's shell breaking towards the end but I feel like it wasn't enough, especially because he didn't address them directly. It also makes me feel super sad for Tenri. ;_;

On the other hand, the Chihiro ending was absolutely what should have happened and I'm glad it did. She fell for him long before the shenanigans started and it wasn't because of his conquest schemes. It also works for his story arc because she was the most "real" girl of all of them. Keima finally braving the real world as he moves forward and choosing Chihiro just works despite his shortcomings.

From all the female characters, I really like Chihiro, Ayumi, and Kanon. Ayumi and Chihiro feel whole and pretty solid as characters without being too much of a caricature. Kanon is not quite there but I'm also a bit of a sucker for that old-school idol type of character too. The others were pretty standard tropes and while they worked, I felt like the author didn't spend enough energy making them more well-rounded.

I'm a little sad that the author didn't spend a bit more energy in creating stories like the ones that occurred between the end of S2 (Jun) and the beginning of the Goddesses arc. Hinoki in particular was a great way of fleshing out Kusunoki's character at the same time without retreading ground and it worked much better because it had the other characters interacting with each other rather than just with Keima.

Overall though, I really enjoyed it. It'd be pretty fun to get a TWGOK 2 that fixes some of the issues with the first and avoids the sci-fi story a bit more, lol.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Soma 169

Why do adults always throw their hands in the air and leave, for them, easily solvable problems to their kids which need 100+ chapters to overcome that challenge? Is that what they call parenting? Or a weak plot?

Senzaemon Nakiri, Master Food Eugenicist, basically. They want to hook them up and produce the ultimate food child.

Best case scenario, you assume they were talking about Azami only coming to re-take Erina, and nothing else. But even then it makes Senzu as her guardian seem like an asshole.

Angry Grimace

I felt like the Chihiro ending came out of left field because I'm accustomed to bullshit no-endings.

Arabesque

He's reviewing Madoka Magica manga he just got and grading them on a scale of Homura gifs. The gifs are indicative of either quality/enjoyment of the manga and/or how much Homura was in them.

Because Homura is a measure of quality. Because she's that excellent.

He's reviewing Madoka Magica manga he just got and grading them on a scale of Homura gifs. The gifs are indicative of either quality/enjoyment of the manga and/or how much Homura was in them.

sounds confusing, odd and elaborate

but then again this is MangaGAF

no wonder why we don't have any facebook likes /s

Arabesque

And wouldn't have it any other way.

But I do like it. I always like these touches in impressions. Also lets me know which MM spin-offs to check out that I haven't gotten around to yet.

Also validates my first impressions on how shit Kazumi and Suzune Magica were so I don't invest into them.

no wonder why we don't have any facebook likes /s

I thought it was because no one wants to carry that shame.

Shouta

I felt like the Chihiro ending came out of left field because I'm accustomed to bullshit no-endings.

Well, that non-ending thing aside, I can see how this is the case if you were reading it as it was coming out. There was a lot of time spent in that 3rd arc without any interaction with the present cast so it was hard to gauge over the time they were publishing it. It makes a lot more sense when you read it all at once.

And wouldn't have it any other way.

But I do like it. I always like these touches in impressions. Also lets me know which MM spin-offs to check out that I haven't gotten around to yet.

Also validates my first impressions on how shit Kazumi and Suzune Magica were so I don't invest into them.

I thought it was because no one wants to carry that shame.

well we are all crazy here and that is what makes it fun to browse this thread

every newcomer comes in innocent and only loving Shonen only to become something else by the threads end

soon it won't matter if we have facebook likes or not since everyone in the world will be part of MangaGAF

Edit: Now my reviews look lame :/

Arabesque

We do get to see a bit of Keima's shell breaking towards the end but I feel like it wasn't enough, especially because he didn't address them directly. It also makes me feel super sad for Tenri. ;_;

It's been a long while since I last read the series and the ending, but yeah, that was my major issue with the ending. Aside from feeling bad for how Tenri ended up, I also didn't like how it sort of concluded without a little closer for everyone involved, even if the ending "they move on with their lives and start their own stories now" was good-ish. I suppose the goddess did give them a little send off, but I sort of wanted more out of it.

I still liked the series a lot. Kemia ending up with Chihiro was appropriate and now that time passed, I can look back and say that I think was the one option that made sense with how much they progressed and how the festival played out with him being depressed her broke her heart and her being in pain. Plus I really liked their arc the most from the anime, so that helped a lot.

That said, I do feel like Elsie and her plot was sort of poorly utilised by the end sadly. Glad she got her happy ending but she did feel like a mascot rather than a central character. If I had something to criticise it would've been that.

Shouta

It's been a long while since I last read the series and the ending, but yeah, that was my major issue with the ending. Aside from feeling bad for how Tenri ended up, I also didn't like how it sort of concluded without a little closer for everyone involved, even if the ending "they move on with their lives and start their own stories now" was good-ish. I suppose the goddess did give them a little send off, but I sort of wanted more out of it.

I still liked the series a lot. Kemia ending up with Chihiro was appropriate and now that time passed, I can look back and say that I think was the one option that made sense with how much they progressed and how the festival played out with him being depressed her broke her heart and her being in pain. Plus I really liked their arc the most from the anime, so that helped a lot.

That said, I do feel like Elsie and her plot was sort of poorly utilised by the end sadly. Glad she got her happy ending but she did feel like a mascot rather than a central character. If I had something to criticise it would've been that.

Yea, they left the goddesses stuck in the bodies of the girls too which is kind of a weird place to end.

Elsie's backstory was probably the sloppiest part of the manga as it wasn't really foreshadowed and it wasn't integrated into the main plot at all. It kinda just happened and boom, she got a happy ending. She definitely was a mascot when she should have played a bigger role, IMO.

Angry Grimace

Well, that non-ending thing aside, I can see how this is the case if you were reading it as it was coming out. There was a lot of time spent in that 3rd arc without any interaction with the present cast so it was hard to gauge over the time they were publishing it. It makes a lot more sense when you read it all at once.

As a person who read it as it came out, the ending with Elsie and whatever happened made no sense to me, but I just rolled with it.

I was on Team Haqua though.

Quasar

I liked the ending with Chihiro, I just felt there was a lot of other stuff just left unresolved. Would have liked I guess more resolution on some of the other threads.

dumbyugi

Seven Seas has been announcing a bunch of English releases on Twitter and their website this week. I know a couple got brief mentions here but I figured I'd post about all of them since they got some great stuff.

The Girl From the Other Side: Siúil, a Rún
There's A Demon Lord On the Floor
Hana & Hina After School
Tokyo Undead
Kindred Spirits on the Roof
Ghost Diary
Kase-san and...
Secret of the Princess

Four new yuri series was a surprise, even if 2 of them are by Milk Morinaga who I don't care for much. Kase-san is a favourite of mine and I know it was quite popular on here when it was being released regularly. There's A Demon Lord On the Floor just screams the type of series that Seven Seas licences because it's getting an anime soon. The art for The Girl From the Other Side looks familiar to me and I think some people on here have been reading it recently. Seven Seas has been killing it recently with their announcements.

Good post. It was more based on how much Homura was in them, though there's an unsurprising correlation between the quantity of Homura and the quality of the manga.

e: Let's Lagoon 36-37
That awkward moment when you get NTR'ed by your future self. At least this guarantees more Nori time for the next few chapters.

Zweizer

Banned
I just want to chime in to say that I always enjoy reading Battleship's reviews, because they contain that perfect combination of humor, information and wit. They just ooze personality~

I'm more of a Kyouko fan though, albeit Homuhomu comes in a close second.

Shouta

As a person who read it as it came out, the ending with Elsie and whatever happened made no sense to me, but I just rolled with it.

I was on Team Haqua though.

It comes out of left field even if you read it all at once.

Basically, Elsie was actually a weapon of Old Hell. Dokuro Skull reincarnated her into a new demon to give her a chance at a real life. That's also why she was assigned to Keima as well. In the ending, Elsie disappears as she's summoned as a weaoib but as Keima gets called back, he brings her with him. She asks New Hell to adjust everyone's memories so she could become Keima's twin little sister as she had grown to love that life.

Lain

Seven Seas has been announcing a bunch of English releases on Twitter and their website this week. I know a couple got brief mentions here but I figured I'd post about all of them since they got some great stuff.

Hana & Hina After School
Tokyo Undead
Ghost Diary
Kase-san and...
Secret of the Princess

Four new yuri series was a surprise, even if 2 of them are by Milk Morinaga who I don't care for much. Kase-san is a favourite of mine and I know it was quite popular on here when it was being released regularly. There's A Demon Lord On the Floor just screams the type of series that Seven Seas licences because it's getting an anime soon. The art for The Girl From the Other Side looks familiar to me and I think some people on here have been reading it recently. Seven Seas has been killing it recently with their announcements.

Some interesting stuff for me, namely the Kindred Spirits on the Roof and the Milk Morinaga's ones, at a glance.
The Girl From the Other Side: Siúil, a Rún seems interesting too.

I just want to chime in to say that I always enjoy reading Battleship's reviews, because they contain that perfect combination of humor, information and wit. They just ooze personality~

I'm more of a Kyouko fan though, albeit Homuhomu comes in a close second.
Not that I'm the self-conscious type, but I usually feel like my 'reviews' are just stream-of-consciousness ramblings. I guess that's why there's rarely any paragraphing.

Nothing wrong with Kyouko, but if you have her above Homuhomu then it's never going to work between us.

Soma
I'm just wondering though, if joichiro wasn't planning on enrolling soma in school then what would have happened. I feel like soma has improved a lot since entering, would his dad really have let him just waste his potential at a diner? Or maybe he would have traveled with him for a few years so soma could see the world also.

Revo

Shokugeki no Soma 169

Maybe Jouichirou knows that soma possesses the mc gene so it was alright to fully leave it up to him

i mean why else would you let literally food hitler descend upon the best cooking institute undisturbed?

Usobuko

Banned
The last few chapters of Kingdom are rough, the build up to the breaking point is executed so well you can feel the raw emotions of the characters.

Angry Grimace

Soma
I'm just wondering though, if joichiro wasn't planning on enrolling soma in school then what would have happened. I feel like soma has improved a lot since entering, would his dad really have let him just waste his potential at a diner? Or maybe he would have traveled with him for a few years so soma could see the world also.

He'd be a salaryman married to Kurase who sadly watches masterchef thinking about what might have been

Shokugeki no Soma 169

Maybe Jouichirou knows that soma possesses the mc gene so it was alright to fully leave it up to him

i mean why else would you let literally food hitler descend upon the best cooking institute undisturbed?

ER1E3ei.png
ER1E3ei.png
ER1E3ei.png

you have too much faith for a guy that doesn't give a crap

Zweizer

Banned
Not that I'm the self-conscious type, but I usually feel like my 'reviews' are just stream-of-consciousness ramblings. I guess that's why there's rarely any paragraphing.

Nothing wrong with Kyouko, but if you have her above Homuhomu then it's never going to work between us.

Aww...

The last few chapters of Kingdom are rough, the build up to the breaking point is executed so well you can feel the raw emotions of the characters.

A small consolation after the cop-out with the Queen's children.

So today I went to an expo here in Chile about literature for young audiences and I stumbled with manga versions of many classic books. I only bought Don Quixote and The Divine Comedy, but there was also Hamlet and Faust, among others. They really caught my eye and I hope to keep buying them if possible.

It's also worth mentioning that this spanish translation of the Don Quixote manga was published this year, the same year of the original novel's 400th anniversary. I could say this is my way of celebrating such a wonderful novel.

uNXRftH.jpg

jonjonaug

Hana & Hina After School
Tokyo Undead
Ghost Diary
Kase-san and...
Secret of the Princess

Hana and Hina is one of Morinaga's best works IMO, a cut above the rest of her output. Kase-san and Kindred Spirits are great.

I'm really hoping that Seven Seas picks up A Kiss and White Lily, Shinozaki-san, and/or Yuricam someday.

Soma

I was wondering that too. I mean, he did have his dad to compete against to get better. However he wouldn't have learned all the different styles that he has from all his classmates. Well, I mean he might have, but the school is a good learning environment, and he gets to meet more people his age.

BnH Academia 90-93

This is probably the writer at his best, and it is quite well done. In the space of some very few chapters we got more background into All Might, Gran Torino, AM's master, and the handguy.

And pretty much none of it felt like filler, or took more time than it should.

Do like the contrast between AfO, who announces almost everything that he intends to do, but keeps some tricks up his sleeve, and AM, who has exactly one trick, but plays it close to his chest. On a meta and completely unrelated level, it is a pretty good contrast between togashi's current writing prowess and horikoshi's.

I actually do want both All Might and AFO to die because it would be less tropey and make this be about Shiragaki becoming a true Joker type of person. It would really mess with Deku with him being a powerless dude attaining power but realizing he can't do jack to stop Joker-antics.

Imma go out on a leg and guess that plot progression will be along the lines of AfO being taken out of the picture in the short and medium term => deku eventually deals with shiragaki => AfO comes back.

Daingurse

Toriko 373
I can't believe nobody picked up on
PANGAEA
this whole time

But what happens if you remove God and add Center?
PANACEA

This wordplay only exists in the English language and it's completely absurd that it works

That shit blew my mind. Felt pretty clever! Misutoshi planned that shit out. Really wish this series wasn't being rushed, but man do I look forward to Toriko each week. I just love how things are hyped up in this series.

diaspora

Shokugeki no Soma 169

imo it's more likely that he just doesn't give a fuck

NY Times Top Manga Sellers May 22nd - 28th

*1. Yotsuba&! Vol.13 (NEW)
*2. Black Butler Vol.22 (NEW)
*3. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.1
*4. One-Punch Man Vol.6
*5. One-Punch Man Vol.1
*6. Trinity Seven: The Seven Magicians Vol.5 (NEW)
*7. Devil's Line Vol.1 (NEW)
*8. Noragami: Stray God Vol.14
*9. Monster Musume: I ♥ Monster Girls Vol.1
10. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.6

I thought Nisekoi was supposed to end in two weeks two weeks ago? Was that just bs? I mean it is ending but it's taken longer than two weeks, which I don't mind :3

jman2050

I thought Nisekoi was supposed to end in two weeks two weeks ago? Was that just bs? I mean it is ending but it's taken longer than two weeks, which I don't mind :3

That's assuming it's even ending soon.

I won't believe it until there's an official announcement made.

That's assuming it's even ending soon.

I won't believe it until there's an official announcement made.
So the whole two weeks thing was just a unconfirmed source or whatever? This gives me hope. I wanna see them at least be a couple throughout the remaining time they have left at the school, kinda like jitsu wa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom