• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monster Musume 42

I honestly was not a big fan of Manako before this chapter but it was really sweet and it brought her up in my eyes.

I find it really funny that I actually enjoyed these 4 Monster Popo chapters almost more than his interactions with the normal girls. I think because they were new and fresh characters but it's also because I actually really like them as characters in general.

Zombina still the best girl. Loved her chapter and her personality is by far my favorite.

Excited for the 3 new girls coming to inevitably try to hump honey. Bee girl!

We're half a year in so its time for an update.

MANGA NEW YEARS BACKLOG CLUB

Ok. Here is what I have for you all so far -

Akito -

Akira
Nausicaa
Yotsuba (Not serious?)

AquaWateria

Kokou no Hito
JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure
Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer
B-Dubs -

Fuuka

DakkuMauji -

Eyeshield 21
Oresame Teacher
Hoshin Engi

Dresden -

Oyasumi Punpun

Droplet -

Vinland Saga
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Oyasumi Punpun

Dedication Through Light -

Medaka Box
Eyeshield 21

Jintor -

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer
One Piece up to the Timeskip (chapter 598)
Lone Wolf and Cub

mdubs -

Slam Dunk
Twin Spica
Pluto

MetroidPrimeRib -

Vagabond
7 Seeds
Mob Psycho 100
Akagi

Semblance -

Please Save my Earth
Fourteen
Sanctuary

striferser -

Takemitsu Zamurai

TheFlow -

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Berserk
Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches

TheRealTalker -

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Parts 5-8
Fist of the North Star
Gundam the Origin

Upandaway -

Tamayura Kitsune
Nukoduke
How to Make a Gentle World
Zweizer ~

I am a Hero
Historie
Mob Psycho 100

If I missed anything, tell me. I'm pretty sure I did this time.

Choujin Gakuen 33

BA HA HA HA HA HA Higan's ex-wife is the prime minister and 2nd strongest committee member? Holy shit that's a 2 year pay off to who she was. This chapter was hilarious. Ryuukouji telling her daughter Higan was dead and her thinking he's a ghost when she showed up was the best. Also, that fucking reveal at the end hot damn!

"I built this important person finding device!"
"That's amazing!"
"It's not reacting to you at all mister!"
"Gimme that, it's broken, let me scrap it"

TheFlow

Banned
We're half a year in so its time for an update.

MANGA NEW YEARS BACKLOG CLUB

Ok. Here is what I have for you all so far -

If I missed anything, tell me. I'm pretty sure I did this time.

cross of jojo since I started watching the anime instead and don't plan to go back to the manga this year. not sure what to replace it with

Love is Hard for Otaku 1-10

CkJNvKwUYAAZ2he.jpg

it me

This is pretty cute and fun. I'm glad it isn't about trying to get each others attention and everyone is together already.

The relationship between Kabakura and Koyonagi is scarily close to a relationship I had. I feel spied on.

I caught up to I Am a Hero and Historie (and urge anyone who hasn't read them yet to do so).

Ok. At this point I've forgotten most of what people were marked down for.

Binged read Hero Academia 73-93

Damn, what a roller coaster of emotion. I'm glad I waited, I would have been pissed when they succeeded in their hostage plan and having to wait a week. Seeing Izuku like that, it made me feel like that too, just defeated. I'm glad bakugou didn't go full sasuke and Holy shit at that All Might fight. These last 20 chapters have been damn good.

The Memorandum of Kyoko Okitegami 1-2

*NisiOisiN backflips into meeting room*

Nisio: Alright check it I got a good idea for a manga.

Editor: Sure.

Nisio: It's about a detective girl who solves case in a day because she forgets everything when she falls asleep at night. She also keeps notes on her body in case she gets knocked out in the middle of the case! I swear its not the lewd kind of body writing!

Editor: Sounds good Nisio-sensei, but are you just going to put Hanekawa in it again?

Nisio: ...Maybe

tumblr_nuryu2jiZQ1sesiwzo2_r1_500.jpg

Sengaku Youko

Finished. I liked Biscuit Hammer more as a growth manga but this delivered on the whole maniless level. That shogun 5 page spread was something else. What I don't understand is how Jinya got to that level so quickly considering Senya was more of a beast in terms of latent power early on.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Tokyo Ghoul:re ch. 79

There was a lotta tongues in that jar, whew.

Wasn't going to be happy if Mutsuki needed to be rescued. Didn't quite expect this insanity, but I'm so down. I do wonder where Mutsuki goes from here though.

The mention at the end about a special class isn't gonna be anyone important. Aside from that, this was one of the better chapters in awhile.

Girls of the Wild's

Holy fuck Jaegu is pissed.

Dude went Chuck Norris on that guy straight through the goddamn car window. I really think those stalker dudes need to just give Daldal back before he ends up killing one of them.

Quasar

Girls of the Wilds 243 - Holy shit this story is taking a lot of chapters. Also doing a flying side kick through the side window of a racing away car seems like a bad idea to me.

Let's Lagoon 38
There's a time and place for going on the offensive. This probably wasn't it, even if it did kinda work out at the end. Unless the MC wises up that's about the closest she's going to get, sadly.

e: Choujin Gakuen 33

Being Higan is suffering. Whoever acted as his lawyer for the court hearing needs to be shot. I always figured his ex-wife was going to be an unseen, spiteful presence (kinda like Maris from Frasier), so to have her show up in such a prominent position was surprising.

Also RIP Lele.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch345

No escape.

Criminale! ch15-16

Yup, totally deserved it.

New girl is totes gonna steal Ichimura~

T-REX na Kanojo ch25

Flustered Trica is cute. Good for you, Hiro~

Drifters ch60

Yeah, no way anyone can control that bunch.

Revo

Kaguya Wants to be Confessed To: The Geniuses' War of Love and Brains 21

Fujiwara always with the most work to do, having to keep this ship balanced.

Criminale! 15-16
I'm liking the dynamic that the newcomer's adding to the class. There's no reason for Hinako to worry, because if those two share the same [blood] then that makes them relatives, right? Right? Plus she has 1st girl protection status, something that even a phantom thief can't steal away.

dr labson

Neo Member
Zekkyou Gakkyuu Chapter 3

Remember kids, finish all your food
otherwise you will turn into a doll.
Man, I can't believe this manga is published in a shoujo magazine.

Innocent 1-24

This is the best BL manga I've ever read.

Innocent 41

Hooooooooooooooly shit, this may be the hottest woman in a manga I have ever seen.

Edit: Wait, she's 12 in that picture?!?! FUCK YOU JAPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

Watashi-tachi no Shiawasena Jikan 1-8 END

Was looking for a good tragedy manga and this hit the spot. A story about a suicidal girl who meets with an inmate on death row. They learn about each others past and slowly start to change through the conversations they have with each other every Thursday. That last chapter certainly turned on the waterworks for me.

pbayne

Hajime no Ippo 759

Im actually starting to like Itagaki since he turned into flamboyant super genius. Plus he doesn't take any shit from Ippo and straight up finally someone told him to stop fixating on Miyata. On Miyata-i still don't care for him much. He's just very bland compared to everyone else and Ippo has much cooler rivals that i'd rather see him fight again. It has hit a tipping point of ridiculousness how much Ippo still idolizes him.

Lol Beatle Punch might be one the best moments of the series. Takamura is never not funny. He needs an actual fight though instead of murdering jobbers.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The Memorandum of Kyoko Okitegami 1-2

*NisiOisiN backflips into meeting room*

Nisio: Alright check it I got a good idea for a manga.

Editor: Sure.

Nisio: It's about a detective girl who solves case in a day because she forgets everything when she falls asleep at night. She also keeps notes on her body in case she gets knocked out in the middle of the case! I swear its not the lewd kind of body writing!

Editor: Sounds good Nisio-sensei, but are you just going to put Hanekawa in it again?

Nisio: ...Maybe

tumblr_nuryu2jiZQ1sesiwzo2_r1_500.jpg

I watched the Jdrama of this it was pretty good (for jdrama).

Someone did translate the Togashi and Ishida Sui interview (Thanks Anteater in the Tokyo Ghoul thread)

Pretty fun read.

— This is a story about Hisoka, but is Hisoka really your favourite character in “Hunter x Hunter”?

Ishi: That’s right. When I was in junior high school, the first manga I copied was of Hisoka. It was the scene where Hisoka is letting down his hair after a bath, after he has a battle in Heaven’s Arena. It was so cool I just had to draw it (laugh).

To: It’s true, I also like when a character with swept back hair lets it down. That scene was influenced by the main character in “Shounan Bakusouzoku”, who normally has a pompadour. He was so cool when he let his hair down, I decided I had to put it in my manga. “Yuu Yuu Hakusho”’s Yuusuke is the same.

— Chrollo from “Hunter x Hunter” also has a scene like that, doesn’t he?

To: Out of the characters in “Tokyo Ghoul”, I like Juuzou the best. I like Hisoka too, and they’re kind of similar. They’re a bit crazy - like how they enjoy hurting themselves. I’ll keep hurting him nicely in “Hunter x Hunter”, as well (laugh).

Ishi: I’m looking forward to it (laugh). Since starting on this storyboard, I’ve drawn drafts I didn’t end up liking, even stuff I drew and immediately after thought “This is no good.” And in the midst of all that I lost sight of what was fun about it. I was taking it too seriously, I think. I even told my editor “If this keeps up I might not be able to make comics anymore.” And they said something like “To hear Ishida-sensei say that after coming into contact with Togashi-sensei’s talent makes me happy”. I was like “What are you saying when I’m this upset?” (laugh). I think my editor appreciates me, but I really felt like I had no allies.

— When you were thinking about the storyboard, you read over “Hunter x Hunter” a lot, didn’t you?

Ishi: I did. I marked all
the pages Hisoka appears in, I tried to figure out a pattern in the suit marks in his lines…
To: I’m just choosing those by intuition (laugh).
Ishi: You don’t have any rules?

To: Not really. Just that Hisoka uses a heart with people he likes. I don’t have any idea how diamond and clover are different.

Ishi: When I analysed it, I thought “Diamond” was often used when Hisoka is being serious. “Clover” gets used more when he is thinking something over.

To: Since I’m choosing with my intuition, it’s possible that I’m unconsciously creating those patterns.

Ishi: Hisoka is a really mysterious character, so drawing him is really difficult. I was looking for hints in places like that.

To: How much you can bring out his whimsy is very important. When I want him to do something the most is when he is least likely to move for me. It’s easier to just step back and not think about anything - then he will move on his own. It’s the same way right now in the main story - I just create the surroundings, environment, battle set-ups, and leave Hisoka’s movements up to Hisoka. Then his character will burst out for me.

Ishi: You’re right, I can see him bursting out just with my imagination (laugh).

To: But I kind of put on the brakes.

Ishi: Oh, you did?

To: Hisoka wanted to do more, but there were some places where I put on the brakes inside myself. I regret that a little bit.

— Togashi-sensei, what impression do you have after reading Ishida-sensei’s storyboard?

To: At the end, Hisoka uses Dokkiri Texture to transmute a handkerchief and hide the villain’s face, but I had actually thought of using this technique later on in the main story. So I thought Ishida-san had a good sense for using Nen.
It’s really interesting when different people have the same thought.
Also, I thought Ishida-san’s villain was well done. Not just this character, but everyone Ishida-san draws has good atmosphere. I think you get a sense of what manga he has read, and what kinds of pictures he likes, but even his stern old men have a beauty to them. This isn’t something you can achieve through hard work alone. His battle scenes also have a sense of speed which is pretty cool.

Ishi: Thank you…..

To: At the beginning there’s a scene where Hisoka is lying on the ground - did you leave the reason ambiguous on purpose?

Ishi: Yes. I specifically decided not to draw the background for the first scene.
To: That really makes the readers think.

Ishi: Among the discarded drafts, I had ones which talked about Hisoka’s childhood environment - some where he was from a rich family and some where he was poor. But I felt really uneasy about that. Hisoka is the kind of character who doesn’t talk about his past - I felt like as soon as you bring that in, he stops being Hisoka.

To: That’s true. Digging into a character’s past is difficult. It’s like, no matter what story you tell, it won’t surpass the readers’ imagination. Rather than making it clear, it’s more fascinating to leave some things unknown. In Ishida-san’s storyboard, it’s fun to imagine why Hisoka is lying on the ground. I’m very glad that you wrote him like this.

Ishi: Togashi-sensei, do you have an idea of Hisoka’s past?

To: I don’t. That’s why I tried not to think about it. But now I’m thinking I might one day be alright writing about a time in his past just a little before Ishida-san’s manga. Deciding how far back to go is difficult, though.

Ishi: I’m very interested in that.

To: I think my mental age has stopped somewhere between the second year of junior high school and the second year of high school (laugh) [A/N: American system 8th-11th grade]. I think I’d like to write about Hisoka around that age. If I wrote something set any earlier, I’d have to talk about what kind of family he came from, what his parents were like - I think that’d be explaining a little too much.

Ishi: This is just my own idea…. But I can’t really imagine Hisoka having a father. He doesn’t seem to have any influence from a father.

To: In the manga I’ve written so far, all the characters including protagonists have various family situations - many of them have single parents. Even though both of my own parents are still alive and well, and my family situation is pretty typical (laugh). But when I write manga it just comes out that way, especially main characters, or people I think I will have to draw for a long time. Of course, I think parents are just in the way when it comes to a manga story.

Ishi: That’s true, I’ve also had times when I thought parents were in the way in a story. In “Star Wars” the adults who raised the main character get killed right away, and in “Gundam” the story starts when the parents die and the protagonist must leave them. I’ve had the vague idea for a long time that there’s a kind of theory when writing a story that it’s better if the parents are gone.

To: Yes. That’s because the parents in a story are only there to oppose what the protagonist does. For example Gon in “Hunter x Hunter” would be in the upper grades of elementary school in the real world. If he had good parents, they’d never let him go on such a dangerous journey. When you think about it like that, parents really are in the way (laugh). So I thought it’d be better if he didn’t have parents to begin with. Eventually that became a story about searching for his parent, and then I decided on the concept of making his parent a really awful person.

Ishi: I see….!

To: By the way, after reading Ishida-san’s manga, I thought I would like to write a manga about Hisoka’s past connecting to that first scene. I don’t know when that would happen, though (laugh).

Ishi: ……. !

My favorite part is Togashi saying that Ging is a bad parent.

I watched the Jdrama of this it was pretty good (for jdrama).

Oh that live action thing was the same story? I thought that was just another one of Nisio's 200 series and the girl in that also looked like Hanekawa

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Oh that live action thing was the same story? I thought that was just another one of Nisio's 200 series and the girl in that also looked like Hanekawa
Yes. First it was a LN. Then it was adapted into Jdrama. And now it's getting a manga apparently?

The anime is basically what happens when you translates SHAFT-isms to real life.

soil-1-ankamapws8n.jpg

A very pulp-inspired mystery comic. There's a lot of tension between the supernatural and psychological that forces the reader to guess constantly, and overall the series shows a lot of creativity with the world-building and a generally very refined art style. The characters are all idiosyncratic in a very Hirohiko Araki-esque way, so if you're in the mood for an eclectic small town thriller I'd definitely recommend Soil. It starts out with a heavy line quality that's distracting at first, but the author calms it down as it goes on so don't worry about it too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom