• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Bokura no Hentai. It's a rough read tho, and I never did finish it because of...reasons.

I also love MonMusu!

Truly my love is all-encompassing.

Bitter Change 40

Yes, that moment when it's confirmed you've fallen in love with the girl whose body you are currently swapped with. Feels good. Too bad about that cliffhanger though.

bobohoro

Domestic Na Kanojo 88

Out of fear of her stealing her father, she's gonna steal her boyfriend!
Probably. I mean, how else can it go?

The Immortal Who Saw the Death of the Universe: Final Part

VtTi5SF.jpg

A wordy image is worth 1,000 words. One of those rare occurrences where a deus ex machina ending doesn't feel like that much of a cop-out. Somewhere along the line I've come to prefer Kaguya to Mokou, a reversal of when I first got into Touhou 10 years ago when the latter was one of my favs.

Bokura no Hentai is a pretty solid gender bender. Definitely recommend it to anyone interested in the genre. One complaint I had bout that series is that its get pretty wonky with its love quadrangles by the end.

Dungeon Meshi 30
I dig this orc chick. It'd be neat if she went with them.

Grand Blue 35
I once did the same thing as these guys did, without the tanks, just shallow areas so I definitely get what Iori is saying. Im gonna be disappointed if we dont get the chugging hijinks next chapter.

Fuuka 1-10
Decided to read it now, seems like a fairly generic romance/seek your dreams thing. I'll give it props for having an openly gay character as one of the side cast and I suppose the art is pretty nice at times.

My gripes with it is Yuu's reaction is a bit nutso(I'd straight up ignore the gal who threw my phone twice), his sisters being ok going half naked during some of their appearances and what seems to be panty shots every 2 or 3 chapters. Other than that, doesnt seem bad, I guess but it doesnt seem that interesting too.

Arabesque

I feel like I'm the only not dtl member who really likes Black Clover :X

I ... sort of like it at times? It's not awful as a whole to the degree I see some speak about it (outside of serious missteps and badly written arcs) but it is very much adheres to what people think cookie cutter Shonen manga archetype formula is.

Which isn't bad, but it would have been much better if it had something more unique to its own to stop it from feeling like it's copy+paste of every other popular Shonen action manga from the last 10 years.

That and tone down on everything related to Asta. His shouting, his inclusion into every plot thread, his need to be the one who inspires every damn cast member. That would go a long way.

Fuck the novel characters though

Yeah, no disagreement there.

I'm usually a sucker for having cross media stuff, but the way Tabata did it here is just hilariously awful. The assumption that every reader of the manga read a side novel is one thing, but then showing the side novel is now a crucial part of the series is another. The novel characters are legitimately as important now as some of the core cast members, but we have yet to get a proper introduction to any of them!

That said, we're looking at a notoriously shit studio handling an adaptation of something mediocre.

None of us are confused as to how this will turn out.

Out of curiosity, what series other than Naruto do folks think Pierrot did/does a bad job at?

It's clear there are a few stinkers like Beelzebub, but on the whole, there isn't much to give them the reputation they seem to have here.

Christ Bokura no Hentai is in the same mag as MonMusu.

How absolutely bizarre.

EDIT: Whew, just finished. This is everything Wandering Son could've been but wasn't. I think it's dethroned Wandering Son as my favorite manga, but that might be recency bias.

This got my attention. Wandering Son is a favourite series of mine, so I'm interested in how this one is better.

I feel like I'm the only not dtl member who really likes Black Clover :X

Fuck the novel characters though
Novel characters killed the series for me, if you need a separate medium to tell a story then fuck off, at least have the decency to do a recap because I'm not reading a series that is constantly make me feel like I missed a goddamn chapter.

Lain

Out of curiosity, what series other than Naruto do folks think Pierrot did/does a bad job at?

It's clear there are a few stinkers like Beelzebub, but on the whole, there isn't much to give them the reputation they seem to have here.

They made lots of series I loved, like Urusei Yatsura.
People who shit on Studio Pierrot make me sad.

The sad thing is the novel characters actually seem pretty cool and the glimpse of their story we saw seem really cool. I want to read the novel... but its not in English fan or official translation :|

Arabesque

They made lots of series I loved, like Urusei Yatsura.
People who shit on Studio Pierrot make me sad.

Yeah. I mean, if a company/studio are around for nearly 40 years, they are bound to be producing a whole catalogue of shows that range from great to bad.

I get if people don't like how the Naruto anime had been handled, but trying to take it as an example for the studio's entire resume is very suspect. Pierrot worked on a lot of great shows as well recently (and maybe more importantly, a lot of successful shows).

Novel characters killed the series for me, if you need a separate medium to tell a story then fuck off, at least have the decency to do a recap because I'm not reading a series that is constantly make me feel like I missed a goddamn chapter.

I feel that's the issue. If there was a more proper intro to these characters, like an actual recap of how they met Asta and Noelle and what happened, I could at least know who they are in context.

Instead, it all is done like we should already know that they are important characters who have established relations to the major protagonists and antagonists, have key roles in different nations, were all part of major power struggles in the series, etc.

This needs more than just a "these characters showed up once in this side novel" disclaimer in an off chapter.

The sad thing is the novel characters actually seem pretty cool and the glimpse of their story we saw seem really cool. I want to read the novel... but its not in English fan or official translation :|

I mean maybe they are cool if we get to know them properly. But right now they all feel like they came out of nowhere.

The glimpses into their stories is what makes me curious about them, such as Mars and Fenzell stuff which seems cool a bit, and maybe him being involved in a power struggle in the Diamond Kingdom once long ago, and Dimona's relationship seems like it has stuff that I'd love.

But right now it's all treated like it's part of a story that had been told, and won't be mentioned again for a long while. Which is okay, I guess we will just have to wait until either Viz picks up the novel for release in 2017 (when this arc is long done), wait until a fan of the novel gives a summary (which is not ideal), wait till a fan translates the novel (a long shot), or wait till Tabata learns how properly integrate supplementary material into his main series.

As an example right now in English Jump, even Seraph, with it's billion light novel spin offs about the side to major cast, does it better than this and doesn't make it feel at any point like I need to read any of the 20+ side books to get the full picture. It's not a hard thing.

I agree with you I'm not trying to excuse what BC did, I'm more venting frustration since part of my brain says these scenes would really shine if we had the lore to know these characters. Even if Viz had given us the book day 1 when these characters showed up for free it wouldn't excuse the decision to incorporate them without a flash back arc.

Ascheroth

Pierrot made the Tokyo Ghoul animes though. Barf.

But it doesn't really matter, because it's more important who the director and other staff are going to be.

Regarding Black Clover: Making Novel characters super important without a proper manga introduction was a garbage tier decision. Like what.

Arabesque

I agree with you I'm not trying to excuse what BC did, I'm more venting frustration since part of my brain says these scenes would really shine if we had the lore to know these characters. Even if Viz had given us the book day 1 when these characters showed up for free it wouldn't excuse the decision to incorporate them without a flash back arc.

I feel that as well. If stuff like how Fanzell feels he made a mistake with how his students turned out or why exactly they are so attached to helping out Asta and Noelle were shown, it would have made everything great now.

Instead, we are all confused on who these people are lol

Maybe Viz should do some summaries of the novel or brief excerpts translations in the magazine, like they did with the Naruto light novels this past few years. At least then we'd be getting some information about them. It's not ideal but I'll take it :/

Pierrot made the Tokyo Ghoul animes though. Barf.

But the manga became a flagship title of WYJ and a best seller ever since.

So, even if the quality wasn't all that great, there were huge benefits.

(I actually think the finale of season 1 was the best part of the show)

Zweizer

Banned
Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro ch15

Theirs is a true friendship that'll stand against all tribulations!

Ouch.

Bloom Into You vol1, 2, 3 extras

Nakatani sure is happy about the series' success. Good for her~

Shishunki Bitter Change ch40

Sheesh, things keep getting more troublesome.

Kawaii Joushi wo Komarasetai ch10

Such a player.
She's obviously his sister.

Usobuko

Banned
the best kind of delinquent manga are always those with characters full of regrets and thereby wrote their own comeback stories.

Rookies isn't as good as Slam Dunk but they are cut from the same cloth.

Yeah. I mean, if a company/studio are around for nearly 40 years, they are bound to be producing a whole catalogue of shows that range from great to bad.

I get if people don't like how the Naruto anime had been handled, but trying to take it as an example for the studio's entire resume is very suspect. Pierrot worked on a lot of great shows as well recently (and maybe more importantly, a lot of successful shows).

It's pretty common for people to take a couple popular anime and extrapolate from them to form their opinion of an entire studio. E.g., Naruto and Bleach for Pierrot, or Hunter X Hunter 2011 and One Punch Man for Madhouse. It's not a fair assessment, but that's how people operate.

My only complaint was that the epilogue fucking ruined the ending.

Huh, just read the epilogue and I guess it makes sense given how twisted and screwed up Parou was in comparison to the other two. Seems even more screwy since this is the first time he's mentioned mom issues. That or my memory fails me. Still sucks considering the chapter before this epilogue ended on such a bright note for everyone.

I do not know why gender bender is the one category that almost immediately makes me disregard a manga, maybe it's transphobia. Except for Yamada and the seven witches, which is just body switching though.

Speaking of yamada, the latest chapter was such bullshit it was immediately clear something was up and I actually got a headache reading the last page. Not gonna read the next couple months then blow through it or skip it altogether like I did like the 3rd or 4th time they recovered or erased some memories.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This got my attention. Wandering Son is a favourite series of mine, so I'm interested in how this one is better.
It has a plot. Wandering Son is a slice of life that kind of goes nowhere because Shimura just... isn't very good at sticking landings. My impression is she really just gets bored of her works but never wants to end them so they just fall off whenever she feels like it.

I like both but Bokura no Hentai gave me the closure Wandering Son was sorely lacking in. It's closer to A Silent Voice in that sense.
My only complaint was that the epilogue fucking ruined the ending.
I'm going to pretend it's non canonical xd

Also it isn't too bad. Parou still has issues, he's just not totally miserable about it.

Hi guys, hoping you can help me out. I am not a big comic/manga collector, however I was one time a really big Akira merch collector. I have a collected volume (book 4) that was part of a limited run of 1500 copies that has "A/P" in the number field. Does anyone know what this means? Cursory Google search says this could stand for "Artist's Proof/Print" but there's nothing obvious about the book that would tell me if this is true.

Can anyone tell me the significance of "A/P"?

Hi guys, hoping you can help me out. I am not a big comic/manga collector, however I was one time a really big Akira merch collector. I have a collected volume (book 4) that was part of a limited run of 1500 copies that has "A/P" in the number field. Does anyone know what this means? Cursory Google search says this could stand for "Artist's Proof/Print" but there's nothing obvious about the book that would tell me if this is true.

Can anyone tell me the significance of "A/P"?

Is this the Grafitti design book? I know some of the volumes go for a fair bit of money, but I am not sure how rare v4 is.

A/P is usually "Artist Proof" like you said. Outside of the 1500 run. Could be worth a little more than the regular 1500 print book but you will have to find the right selling channel/buyer.

Is this the Grafitti design book? I know some of the volumes go for a fair bit of money, but I am not sure how rare v4 is.

A/P is usually "Artist Proof" like you said. Outside of the 1500 run. Could be worth a little more than the regular 1500 print book but you will have to find the right selling channel/buyer.

Yes, I have volume 4 and 5 of the Graphitti books. They're not in tip-top shape so I'll probably be trying to sell them for less than what they seem to go for, I had just never looked at the actual numbers until today when I considered it. Is there a more suitable place to try and sell them than Ebay?

Thanks for the info!

Yes, I have volume 4 and 5 of the Graphitti books. They're not in tip-top shape so I'll probably be trying to sell them for less than what they seem to go for, I had just never looked at the actual numbers until today when I considered it. Is there a more suitable place to try and sell them than Ebay?

Thanks for the info!

Ebay is you best bet unless someone here knows of some Akira related forum or some comic/manga collectors facebook group.

Also, I would recommend putting it up for sale soon. Dark Horse is releasing a HC box set next year at which point the market for these might drop a little bit.

Dungeon Seeker Ch 1-8: Another one of these transported to another world stories, so the premise is nothing new. However I do enjoy the whole sense of evil and despair that this brings with it. I mean being sacrificed by your childhood friend and your bully into a unbeatable labyrinth, in which you get married to a cannibal who cuts off your leg.... So yeah check it out!
It's nothing special just a dumb and easy read..

Arifureta Shokugyou De Sekai Saikyou Ch 1-7: All in all this is very similar to Dungeon Seeker but this one manages to convey the story much better and the artwork has some truly dark panels. Not NRT betray here so far... but we do have a girl suspended half naked within a cube if that's your sort of thing.

arifureta-shokugyou-de-sekai-saikyou-5-pic-17.jpg

JUsQ1Vb.jpg

Koi No Kotoba Ch 1-3: Friend sent this to me... and now I'm sure i'm on a list somewhere.
All in all it's quite sweet if you ignore the middle aged manga artist banging a middle schooler... though some of the scenes seem to be hinting at something darker.

Kindred Ch 1-12?: Get back to me on this one.. as it has promise but so far is squandering it.. hopefully the next chapter saves it for me.
Vampire Revenge Story.

Ultimate Antihero Ch 1-7: Another piece of generic Light Novel rubbish. Super powerful guy has his powers shackled by the remains of the world government after daemons invade and he single handedly stomps them. Is called a fiend and seen as a menace but if actually to nice for his own good.. Unless! You mention his dead friends and then boy are you in trouble.
Feels like a poor man's Mahouka almost.

[NEWGATE] Ch 1-23 (As well as 1-5 of the Lightnovels): Really enjoying this adventure into another world (from being trapped in a videogame deathgame). This is constantly pointing fun at it's own genre while also giving me one of my favourite protagonists I've read in awhile. Also you have got to love how over the top it can be sometimes, as it just become even more epic. Quite looking forward to seeing the true strength of the Main Character, when he really loses it as it's been hinted at being something quite demonic.

EDIT: Anyone who can help me stop this post from being such a mess please tell me xD

Gokukoku no Brynhildr 174

Unlikable batshit villain vs unlikable ratshit heroine. Whoever wins, we all win/lose/draw. Don't do anything foolish here Kana, she's not worth it.

Ascheroth

Arifureta Shokugyou De Sekai Saikyou Ch 1-7: All in all this is very similar to Dungeon Seeker but this one manages to convey the story much better and the artwork has some truly dark panels. Not NRT betray here so far... but we do have a girl suspended half naked within a cube if that's your sort of thing.

I remember reading the webnovel for that one. It becomes complete shit after the first volume.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Jojolion ch. 60

I didn't entirely get the flashback with Dolomiti, specifically, why his girl ran toward the power lines to begin with. Dude's stand is basically straight out of Evangelion though, so w/e, at least he's got that.

The zombie angle is cool. I wonder how much this outbreak will spread. Would be wild if a sizable portion of the town is chasing around Gappy.

mdubs

Banned
Lack of new Jump this week hitting me hard.

The wait for Rindo to reveal her true power as the best cook at the school is too much

Dungeon Seeker Ch 1-8: Another one of these transported to another world stories, so the premise is nothing new. However I do enjoy the whole sense of evil and despair that this brings with it. I mean being sacrificed by your childhood friend and your bully into a unbeatable labyrinth, in which you get married to a cannibal who cuts off your leg.... So yeah check it out!
It's nothing special just a dumb and easy read..

arifureta-shokugyou-de-sekai-saikyou-5-pic-17.jpg

JUsQ1Vb.jpg

Koi No Kotoba Ch 1-3: Friend sent this to me... and now I'm sure i'm on a list somewhere.
All in all it's quite sweet if you ignore the middle aged manga artist banging a middle schooler... though some of the scenes seem to be hinting at something darker.

Kindred Ch 1-12?: Get back to me on this one.. as it has promise but so far is squandering it.. hopefully the next chapter saves it for me.
Vampire Revenge Story.

Ultimate Antihero Ch 1-7: Another piece of generic Light Novel rubbish. Super powerful guy has his powers shackled by the remains of the world government after daemons invade and he single handedly stomps them. Is called a fiend and seen as a menace but if actually to nice for his own good.. Unless! You mention his dead friends and then boy are you in trouble.
Feels like a poor man's Mahouka almost.

[NEWGATE] Ch 1-23 (As well as 1-5 of the Lightnovels): Really enjoying this adventure into another world (from being trapped in a videogame deathgame). This is constantly pointing fun at it's own genre while also giving me one of my favourite protagonists I've read in awhile. Also you have got to love how over the top it can be sometimes, as it just become even more epic. Quite looking forward to seeing the true strength of the Main Character, when he really loses it as it's been hinted at being something quite demonic.

EDIT: Anyone who can help me stop this post from being such a mess please tell me xD

lol I read all this shit.

New Gate is carried by shipping MC and Schnee.

I need to get back to this as i thought it was pretty fun.

Seems like a way better version of Sword Art Online.

There's just something endearing about his attitude.

Maou-jou de Oyasumi 20

Holy shit, I died laughing at the cute demons being behind the curtain playing cards.

Quasar

Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody - Gave it a try due to the anime announcement. Pretty similar to Shield Bro in some respects. Guy transported to fantasy world, ending up with a retinue of slave/ex-slaves including demi-humans. Not as jerky though. One difference being that one of the slaves is another person from Japan. Unlikely to read more, though might check out the anime depending on what else is airing at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom