• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maou-jou de Oyasumi 20
0hzhq9S.jpg
This week on dumb stuff people
/ plants
say: "Geez, you're not scary at all...!" On the bright side, at least it didn't get pruned. With its narrow premise and repetitive formula I genuinely thought I would've have lost some interest in this by now, but nope, it's still one of my favourite series I've picked up this year.

The Little Match Girl 7
It takes a will stronger than 90% cocoa dark chocolate to give up the matches, so kudos to Temp MC#7 for eventually making the right decision. Who knows, maybe he'll go on to make a Tokyo Tower parfait one day. Feels like a lifetime since the last release, even though it's (only) been 6 months. Please keep the matches burning for longer this time.

Call me overly optimistic but I have a feeling Viz has some big plans for 2017 hence them being really coy as of late about plans to add stuff. My only hope is that they don't add a sea of monthly crap and hope that's a good enough solution.

Arabesque

The joke writes itself at this point lel

Call me overly optimistic but I have a feeling Viz has some big plans for 2017 hence them being really coy as of late about plans to add stuff. My only hope is that they don't add a sea of monthly crap and hope that's a good enough solution.

I hope that's the case. Right now, things are not exactly promising if every other addition is set to end soon after being picked up. I hope they have big plans in place and that next year ends up being better.

My fear is that they end up just "coasting" 2017 on monthly manga being in every issue, just separated. So SQ stuff (Blue Exorcist, Seraph) every first issue of the month, Boruto on the second, RWBY (for however long it's running lol) on the third, then Arc V on the fourth.

That would give each issue 5-6 series, outside of Jump Starts and maybe one shots. Not what I want to see, but I wouldn't put it past them ...

Moaradin

I just want Viz Jump to be more identical to the Japanese equivalent. Like, I get not putting in stuff that's been going on for years and has hundreds of chapters, but you should have all the more recent popular stuff at least...

dramatis

I just want Viz Jump to be more identical to the Japanese equivalent. Like, I get not putting in stuff that's been going on for years and has hundreds of chapters, but you should have all the more recent popular stuff at least...
The JP equivalent right now is barely made of 'recent popular stuff' and 'old popular stuff'. Like half their magazine is composed of series that are not that popular.

Zweizer

Banned
The Little Match Girl ch7

Hard work is hard for a reason. At least he realized it before it was too late.

Maou-jou de Oyasumi ch20

It lasted longer than I expected. Good thing the Princess didn't have to resort to more... unfortunate means.

Murenase! Shiiton Gakuen ch17

Miyubi had a good run.

Riko to Haru to Onsen to Iruka ch18

Bugs keep getting a bad rap.

Mosquitoes can fuck right off to hell however.

Shinkaigyo no Anko-san ch16

You learn new things every day. Just be careful with that knowledge.

LOVE/DEATH: Nicochuu ch5

This definitely is the best position~

Arabesque

Rurouni Kenshin: The Ex-Con Ashitaro 1

So, like, the crazy thing about all this is that there is not one, but TWO (!!!) Jin-e cameos in this two-shot as a ghost haunting his final battleground against Kenshin

If you had asked me what character might show up as a background cameo in the prologue to the upcoming sequel, Jin-e would not have made it on that list.

This was pretty good, and reminded me how much I liked Watsuki's stuff. It will always be a pity his non-Kenshin stuff never took off (or was as good ...) but this two-shot reminds me a lot of his Yume/Shishio two-shot he did years back. For what's it's worth, the man still has it in him to create new Kenshin stories.

Speaking of, when Ashitaro was saying the
Mugen-Jin felt "right" in his hands, my mind immediately jumped to how this two parter is similar to that other Yuma two parter, and the idea that Ashitaro is Shishio's "successor" is closer to because the 2 share blood. Which is all kinds of eeeeehhhhhh for me right now, although the idea of paralleling this story with his mom(?) story is also kind of nice

There is still another part to this story, so we'll see what happens.

YGO: Transend Game

I haven't seen the movie yet, but a bit nostalgic seeing Takahashi's work again after so long.

The Duelist Kingdom KC duel disk brought back so much memories, ahhhhhhhh

Also, I guess the idea of the 6th season being centred around VR now makes a lot more sense, if that how it's being done. Or being inspired by, I suppose.

Kiba is always great to see, it's a shame Takahashi had to write him out of the series' final arc (and the anime was sort of trying to figure out how to fit him in, only to end up with the entire situation being convoluted and messier). At least he gets a chance to shine now, if briefly, post-ending.

Yea instead was i hyped when he becomes more serious in a fight.

And its also crazy that fighting is not his major skill but instead its smithing

Volume 5 kinda changes how Shin is looked at.
Not only is it revealed that he single handedly wiped out most if not all the death game dungeons he also killed all the Player Killers, hunting them down mercilessly in a fit of rage. In addition he shows off some of his cursed artifacts which end up making him look like a devil.

Shin-in-full-armor.jpg

Zweizer

Banned
Tamayura Kitsune by Isshiki

A short story featuring a depressed teenager and a fox girl familiar. Story-wise it doesn't tread any new grounds and generally acts like a pretty straightforward love drama, but it doesn't overstay its welcome and is a cute enough read to kill some time, especially if you like fox girls.

Arabesque

It seems Viz has picked up elDlive for the free section? The translation seems also different from the Jump start they ran? Seems they want all the Jump Plus flagship titles there.

Wonder if we will get My Hero Vigilante and Memu-chan then. Since they seem to be safer than stuff like Fire Punch and KissXDeath.

Bah I need to see the other half of these bonus chapters to get a feel for them.

Didn't like them much?

I'm not expecting much from the second part of Transcend Game, but I feel like the second part of Ashitaro is going to have a lot more since it's a prologue.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
To give those unaware an idea of how screwed English Weekly Jump is, here's what's running right now (excluding RWBY since that's going to be cancelled soon)

Weekly: One Piece, My Hero Academia, Shokugeki no Soma, The Promised Neverland, Black Clover.
Monthly: Blue Exorcist, Seraph of the End, Boruto, Yu-Gi-Oh Arc-V
Irregular: One-Punch Man

They also run Hunter x Hunter and World Trigger, but both are on hiatus.

Not much in terms of content.

Maybe it would help if they cancelled Shokugeki since it wasn't as high in the super scientific poll.

It was in the Top 10 Best Selling manga of 2016. That's not happening.

Arabesque

To give those unaware an idea of how screwed English Weekly Jump is, here's what's running right now (excluding RWBY since that's going to be cancelled soon)

Weekly: One Piece, My Hero Academia, Shokugeki no Soma, The Promised Neverland, Black Clover.

Yeah, which is why I am worried they might go with "monthly series in every issue!" to try and even it out without solving the problem of the lack of content.

On the plus side, there is going to be 10-15 new Jump Starts next year, so there are chances for good stuff getting added. Especially with some of the talent (new and old) still to show up.

It doesn't seem like RWBY is cancelled so much as that it turns out that it was always just a tie in comic for promoting the show. It is the All You Need Is Kill of the magazine, except not as compelling or good.

I think it's a jump to go from "this current arc in Shokugeki has turned really bad" to "Shokugeki is going to get cancelled because people hate it now". The series still has a lot of fans, it's just not many are enjoying reading this particular arc. Even outside of sales, it is still a popular series in the magazine.

The arc is going to be over, thankfully, and the Nakari drama can be put to rest forever.

It seems Viz has picked up elDlive for the free section? The translation seems also different from the Jump start they ran? Seems they want all the Jump Plus flagship titles there.

Wonder if we will get My Hero Vigilante and Memu-chan then. Since they seem to be safer than stuff like Fire Punch and KissXDeath.

Didn't like them much?

I'm not expecting much from the second part of Transcend Game, but I feel like the second part of Ashitaro is going to have a lot more since it's a prologue.

The ygo chapter basically ended as it was starting (they broke up one chapter into two halves correct?). I liked the Kenshin chapter but again it felt like it was just getting started when it ended :X

Yeah Viz Jump just need to pick up Yaiba and Haikyuu already with a "catch up on your own lol". Yaiba is the most successful thing they don't have licensed for the magazine that they can/would license (sorry ghost tits) that isn't ending soon (gintama). The fact that Haikyuu like Assassination Classroom got passed over and they now are playing catch up with the volumes is embarrasing. When you have the mangaka for a panel for a series that has been over in manga and anime for a year and need a spoiler review for an arbitary point in the plot because you're waaay behind on volumes you have failed.

Taruranto

Sakura #7

This is so obvious that I feel like dismissing it as a red herring.

Honestly meh, this whole sequel kinda feels pointless so far. Which I guess makes sense since THE STORY WAS PRETTY MUCH DONE.

At least it isn't fucking over the original material like those years-late sequels always do.

mdubs

Banned
It doesn't make sense to equate them passing over Haikyu!! to Assassination Classroom, and while sad, it isn't embarrassing. Sports manga don't sell well here, and the reason it took until now for a license is because of the continuing recovery of the manga market here + the popularity of the anime making it feasible for them to license. I don't think you can fault them for passing over Haikyu!! until now.

That said, I hope everyone here is doing their part by buying the volumes as they come out to show them that there is a market for sports manga.

It doesn't make sense to equate them passing over Haikyu!! to Assassination Classroom, and while sad, it isn't embarrassing. Sports manga don't sell well here, and the reason it took until now for a license is because of the continuing recovery of the manga market here + the popularity of the anime making it feasible for them to license. I don't think you can fault them for passing over Haikyu!! until now.

That said, I hope everyone here is doing their part by buying the volumes as they come out to show them that there is a market for sports manga.

I kind of wish Kodansha would do more sports. I just want my Ace of Diamond.

mdubs

Banned
I kind of wish Kodansha would do more sports. I just want my Ace of Diamond.

You have no idea how much I want Baby Steps. Both of these will never come out in print unless a miracle happens due to how long they are and Kodansha USA not doing sports series (I think Farewell My Dear Cramer and Welcome to the Ballroom are the only ones they've dabbled with, and this is very recent)

While I understand the argument about sports manga traditionally not doing well, they picked up cross manage back in the day and skipped on Haikyuu so if you wanna stick with just sports manga its embarrasing. I compare Haikyuu and Ass Class because both ended up being super successful that viz passed on and was late to the party for and has had to play catch up on.

mdubs

Banned
While I understand the argument about sports manga traditionally not doing well, they picked up cross manage back in the day and skipped on Haikyuu so if you wanna stick with just sports manga its embarrasing. I compare Haikyuu and Ass Class because both ended up being super successful that viz passed on and was late to the party for and has had to play catch up on.

Weekly Shonen Jump Alpha launched at the end of January, 2012. Haikyu!! launched a month later, so it makes sense that they probably weren't thinking of adding in a sports manga right off the bat. Cross Manage launched in September of that year, so it stands to reason that at that point they felt it made sense to pick it up as it started rather than reaching back to a series that started months earlier. Obviously, if they were given a do-over of course they would take Haikyu!! over Cross-Manage.

But realistically - why, in January of 2012 when the market was reaching it's lowest point in years would they have felt confident in taking on a volleyball manga. It doesn't make sense to paint this as some grand sort of oversight by Viz when market conditions and the general sales history of the genre suggested against picking up something like Haikyu!! as it began.

It's still a bad comparison between Assassination Classroom and Haikyu!! due to the difference in genre, and I don't think you make a good argument as to why this was a massive failure by them aside from "but it became successful later in Japan". Blame the market for not embracing things like Eyeshield and Cross Game in bulk to give them the ability to license it earlier.

I mean, I love sports manga as much as anyone, but it makes complete sense why it took so long to get to this point.

Not only is it revealed that he single handedly wiped out most if not all the death game dungeons he also killed all the Player Killers, hunting them down mercilessly in a fit of rage. In addition he shows off some of his cursed artifacts which end up making him look like a devil.

Shin-in-full-armor.jpg

Interesting.

Also i think Grimace was being sarcastic with his remark.

Arabesque

I mean, I love sports manga as much as anyone, but it makes complete sense why it took so long to get to this point.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Stuff like Kuroko and Haikyuu might have become mega hits in Japan, but on the USA sports manga series were still not picking up.

Turns out all they needed were really successful anime series to help expand awareness!

Looking back on it, it's very easy to forget that English Shonen Jump is still a relatively young service. And it's not like the stuff they did pick up weren't popular (they had the major stuff there, and World Trigger, though that did eventually get to be popular enough in the end before hiatus).

For Assassination Classroom, it took a whole lot for Viz to find a way around the "kids trying to murder their school teacher with guns" aspect, especially given what issues the US is having with school shootings at the time. They eventually decided to pick it up, because the mass shootings were blamed less on media influences, and because the series itself as it went on was much less focused on that particular aspect and was absurd enough to not cause a problem.

I'd recommend listening to some of their podcast episodes when they talked about adding the series to the line up or when they had brought over people who were working on the volumes, and what they had to say about it.

I think the issue is that compared to everything else in the simultaneous release digital market, Viz is probably the best (lol Crunchyroll, lol Mangabox) which makes it frustrating that they don't seem to be as responsive as they should be, even if they had historically added popular stuff with high demand before (Food Wars being the major one). The very fact that we are getting Jump Starts, and seeing the first 3 chapters of manga series that would otherwise never be translated is also something worth noting, even if a lot of the time they pass on the hits (Yaiba, Samon).

I guess, I can see that improvements are being made, and the magazine is (slowly) getting better, and understand and see why things aren't done on a dime. But at the same time, I want the magazine to be much better than it currently is, especially since going out of this year, it has lost 3 mainstay series and one that was there from the beginning had went into hiatus. So the situation is looking dire right now, because we don't have anything new yet to replace that stuff, and even stuff they are adding like RWBY ends up ending soonish anyways.

I dunno, I feel like I'm caught between being seriously worried and "it'll work out in the end" whenever I think of where the English magazine is going. This year in general had been like a nonstop beating on it, so maybe once the next seralisation round starts and more of the mangaka on the back burner come out with their manga, will just look at this phase as transitional.

The ygo chapter basically ended as it was starting (they broke up one chapter into two halves correct?). I liked the Kenshin chapter but again it felt like it was just getting started when it ended :X

Movie one shots are typically done like this. It was also split apart in the original WSJ release as well.

I do hope the next chapter stick the landing. And that Viz announces that they are picking up the upcoming Hokkaido Arc as well.

Oh nice, I dont even check that site. Now I can finally get caught back up.

Reason #54 why the current free section sucks. Seriously, there needs to be an app for this!

I know how movie tie in manga works, the fact they split it into two halves is what annoyed me since I enjoyed seeing Kaiba and Mokuba again but when it transitioned into teasing the movie it awkwardly stopped.

LeleSocho

Banned
Sakura #7

Honestly meh, this whole sequel kinda feels pointless so far. Which I guess makes sense since THE STORY WAS PRETTY MUCH DONE.

At least it isn't fucking over the original material like those years-late sequels always do.

I find it fun, stylistically in the narration it's like CCS never ended with this new girl essentially being this arc's Clow/Eriol and the art is fabulous.
I was both scared and happy about this sequel to be honest but up until now it seems like they have nailed it... i mean it had 3 consecutive front pages and color cover... i'm sure people are liking it so far.

That sounds boss as fuck.

Grand Blue 21

Damn Iori, "dense manga protagonist" only goes so far

Kono Oto Tomare!

This is pretty good so far.

About a dude who tries to keep the Koto Club at his school alive by recruiting a delinquent who turns in an application form after beating the fuck out of the kids using the Club Room to hang out, a stuck-up bitch professional Koto player, and the delinquent's three friends who join because the pro player tricks them by pretending to be nice.

Not sure the direction this'll take but I like the characters and general plot-through early on and it has good art that avoids the problem a lot of "pretty character" manga normally does in that it has BACKGROUNDS and art that isn't just sparkly characters on white backgrounds.

Zweizer

Banned
I found Kono Oto Tomare! incredibly dull and boring outside of its art. It falls pretty much into every cliché of the sports/music genre despite the unusual instrument choice. Not sure if it got better after I dropped it around the twentieth chapter or so.

lol I'm 5 chapters in, give me some time.

Also the VA they picked for Kobayashi for the anime adaptation of Maid Dragon is spot on. I'm actually looking forward to that a lot but unsure where they'll leave off. I'd probably say the end of the Iruru stuff would probably be the best.

ryan13ts

How is Rave over all? Would you recommend it as a decent shonen to read?

I'm really trying to find another shonen type manga to get into, since i've read all the major ones or am caught up with the still running ones (One Piece, Naruto, HxH, Fairy Tail, Seven Deadly Sins, ect.). I've seen this series mentioned before but never thought about giving it a try until now.

Also, Anyone have any other hidden gems to recommend?

Rave, that's a work I haven't heard mentioned in quite some time. It's okay.

Don't remember much fanservice but like 90% of the characters from Fairy Tail are ripped straight from Rave Master.

How is Rave over all? Would you recommend it as a decent shonen to read?

I'm really trying to find another shonen type manga to get into, since i've read all the major ones or am caught up with the still running ones (One Piece, Naruto, HxH, Fairy Tail, Seven Deadly Sins, ect.). I've seen this series mentioned before but never thought about giving it a try until now.

Also, Anyone have any other hidden gems to recommend?

Owari no serafu, BLack Clover, Spiral the Bonds of Reasoning, Real Account are hidden gems that I would recommend.

Sometimes I'll just randomly watch the 6th episode of No Game No Life because that episode is fucking 10/10 and it makes me entirely too giddy watching it.

Seriously, if you removed the fan-service from NGNL it'd be 10/10 all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom