• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toaru Ossan no VRMMO Katsudouki 28

I love getting surprised by manga. Obviously you're gonna still find well-worn tropes and sorta nonsensical shit based upon not alienating slimy virgins or to meet magazine requirements, but when people just describe something as LN trash I love finding something that is exactly what they hate but executed well or well-written. It's why I like reading so many isekai manga because sometimes you find one that's good and it's like "Neat"

That's basically this manga. It's about some 30s salaryman who doesn't have a hobby so he decides to play the latest VR fantasy game but decides he wants it to be relaxing so he picks a lot of lame and unused skills and stuff that aren't designed for adventuring. But because he's not an idiot he obviously becomes super good at them and gains attention even though he doesn't want it. Kinda lame, a very contrived "I just want to live my normal life without complications!" MC that exists everywhere but it's saved by the writing.

For example, let's take this chapter. Last chapter he picked up a baby red dragon through various shenanigans in the fairy kingdom. The Fairy Queen shows up because he calls her over to ask what the consequences will be (cause she wants to S his D and put it in her A). She basically outlines the diplomatic issues with the dragons, red dragons in particular, and notes how they are very isolationist and don't look down on other races but simply dislike interacting with them because they have to restrain themselves around them and hate going out of their area. So in the middle of this, he gets informed two red dragons are coming towards the area. He decides to go out and meet them and the conversation basically goes like this:

"WHY THE FUCK YOU STEALING OUR CHILDREN?!"
"I didn't, I actually saved him from thieves."
"IF YOU'RE NOT LYING, GIVE HIM BACK"
*puts baby dragon on the dragon's claw*
"Oh, you were telling the truth. Thanks."
"No problem."

And then the dragons ask him what he wishes and they will grant it for him and he asks them to not hold it against the faeries and start aggressive shit with them because it wasn't their fault it happened within their borders and to pretend the meeting didn't happen so he doesn't get more famous; the dragons agree because they say they weren't gonna do shit to the faeries or hold it against them anyways and they prefer to keep their business private. And then they fly off.

With that out of the way, the dude fucks off in a carriage to a different town (lying to his carriage mates about soloing a Raid Boss so they don't bug him) and runs into a non-human koboldy dude who takes him aside because his daughter was one of the Faeries commanders of their southern garrison and she treated the MC like shit and a criminal for petty reasons so the Fairy Queen demotes her and her entire family (instead of killing them, because the MC asked her not to). So the guy takes him aside and basically apologizes, saying that her being spoiled probably led to this and he doesn't mind working his way back up from the ground floor, thinking it'll make his daughter more humble and a better person. And then he lets him into the town.

Once in the town he visits the inn for quests but they're all taken except for group ones the innkeeper offers for him to work for some money so that he can have somewhere to stay/wait for more quests to open up.

Like, everything about it is just written with a distinct lack of idiocy or "plot hooking" where something happens even if it's out of character or doesn't make sense to move the plot forward. The MC "Earth" is consistent, pretty relatable (cept for the "hot lady wants to hump til I can't feel my legs?!?! BETTER RUUUUNNNN")and moreso is very crafty and creative which leads to his fights being very smart and won through tactics. As a result of how this manga is, the tone is kept pretty consistent which can be either good or bad; it's very calm even when he fights and is moreso about the overall feeling of the manga but as a result there aren't a lot of variations or spikes in excitement. You're either interested and enjoy it all the way through or you're waiting for a climax that never really happens.

As such, it's a good read. Pretty neat.

Hare no Hi (oneshot)

Good oneshot about a gay novelist raising his kid after his wife and he divorced and the kid coming to terms with some of the same feelings his dad went through.

Pretty standard and nothing surprising in this, but considering it's a manga that is respectful and open in treating it's gay story, I'll take by the numbers as that makes it 1000x better than 99% of the gay representation in Japan.

Yuzumori-san 12

The storm before the calm before the storm. Irate Yuzumori is oddly intimidating, even with a dimension between us. But despite her glowering, significant pairing progress has now been made and Mimika just has one small question to answer. One small, self-evident question.

Do you love me, or do you love me because I'm a 9 year old girl....have fun MC.

e_i

Yuzumori-san 12

The storm before the calm before the storm. Irate Yuzumori is oddly intimidating, even with a dimension between us. But despite her glowering, significant pairing progress has now been made and Mimika just has one small question to answer. One small, self-evident question.

I'm a horrible person for liking this one.

Nah.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Jitsu wa Watashi wa ch. 153

Touko not even acknowledging Genjiro while he's standing right there got me. This poor dude.

Yuricam 22
WdnR1R2.png
Yuri has evolved. Or at least, it would've done if this were actually true. I'm starting to miss the legal wife, but at least we're getting some Akane to make up for it.

Deadly

Shokugeki no Soma 196
I'm guessing this is the great Jouichirou that Azami idolizes. Then he meets his wife who while inferior to him in cooking, perseveres and keeps challenging him, like Soma does.

One Piece 850
Pudding say it ain't so goddaaaaamn

MHA 120
Solid chapter. Good development for Bakugou

spiritfox

I liked how the fight ended. Better than Deku winning and Bakugo being emo and doing stupid shit in order to catch up like all shonen rivals. He should not be catching up, he should be the person to catch up to.

*sigh* Guess I'll make a big ole post about how more people should read Kengan Asura that'll take me like an hour that nobody will read, fine, twist my arm guys.

Naruto 1 - 244

Done with "Part 1"

For as much shit Shippuden gets with power levels, I see how the Sasuke Retrieval arc preps you for it. The gennin/chunnin exams were the last time the tactical aspect of the series shined, and even then giant animal summons were introduced in the middle of all that. After that, curse-marks, fox chakra and choji's butterfly pills pretty much gave you a dbz-lite experience. While I did like certain parts of it like Temari saving Shikamaru or Rock Lee and Garra together, the Sasuke Retrieval arc was a formulaic gauntlet, hinging on a garbage ass character. Overall, I'd give Naruto a B

bobohoro

One Piece 850

I saw through you Pudding. Right from the beginning.
At least Sanji will finally do stuff.
And I could dig one-armed Luffy.

Shokugeki No Soma 196

That was surprisingly dark for Saiba backstory.
But also one of the best chapters in quite some time.

Zweizer

Banned
One Piece ch850

Damn, RIP Sanji.

The fight between Pedro and Tamago was pretty cool actually. If only it was longer.

Yuricam ch22

Yuri transcends all barriers.

Opapagoto ch7

While the plan is sound, I fear they might have a few hurdles along the road.

Oh well. Worst comes to worst they'll just have to use her ladykiller charm.

Pretty sure you're not supposed to fall in love with your father.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa ch153

Akane got younger as the years went by.

Yuri Mekuru Oshigoto ch2

They chose wisely.

My Hero Academia ch120

It was a good fight, and got a nice outcome with a promising future.

Yuzumori-san ch12

The million-dollar question! Mimika keeps getting revived only to get executed immediately afterwards.

Shokugeki no Soma ch196

Damn, he's a beast. It must have been traumatizing.

Youkai Shoujo - Monsuga ch87

Quite a bit of misunderstanding here.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Boku no Hero Big tiny surprises: 1. The perp was All Might, 2. Deku returns to punch. Which I don't mind? I've rarely ever liked reading Kicks in manga, they feel a certain loss of impact for me. I think the best kick finisher I've ever read was in Boys on the Run and well... wasn't a good feeling.

One PieceOh boo, someone already made a game of thrones joke. Consolation prize Sanji, if you let the bullet not instantly kill you, you get to watch your whole family get brutally murdered!

TheFlow

Banned
Boku no Hero Big tiny surprises: 1. The perp was All Might, 2. Deku returns to punch. Which I don't mind? I've rarely ever liked reading Kicks in manga, they feel a certain loss of impact for me. I think the best kick finisher I've ever read was in Boys on the Run and well... wasn't a good feeling.

One PieceOh boo, someone already made a game of thrones joke. Consolation prize Sanji, if you let the bullet not instantly kill you, you get to watch your whole family get brutally murdered!

reading this made me realize you probably never read Worst or the prequel Crows

still the best fighting manga.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
reading this made me realize you probably never read Worst or the prequel Crows

still the best fighting manga.

I wasn't trying to imply BotR was a fighting manga, it just happened to have the best drawn moment of kickboxing I think I've ever seen. Still, adding Worst to the "To-read" list. I like the premise already and could use some more good punches in my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom